• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Who are your favorite villains?

Eva-Unit-Shrek

Churn that butter!
Reaction score
Fukua Big Band Robo Fortune
I was thinking about how awesome a lot of villains are and was wondering who any of your favorite villains are and why! They can be from anything. Movies, anime, video games, you name it! I am personally a fan of villains Like Dio Brando of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and Femto of Berserk due to the fact that they are heinous people, but are more powerful than the protagonists in almost every way.

• Magneto.
  • Dr. Doom.
I like ambition and freakish amounts of willpower. And, well, freakish amounts of power in general.

Oh, god. Where do I start?

A couple are spoilers, so beware.
Anton Churgurh from No Country For Old Men.
Chigurh.jpg

Frank Booth from Blue Velvet:
frank%20booth%20blue%20velvet.jpg

Mama from Dredd
behind-the-scenes-footage-of-dredd_1320.jpg

Randall Flagg from The Stand (Novel or TV version)
FlaggMovieSheridan.jpg

The Wyatt Family
doRWvDVX3Sc.jpg

Two-Face
latest

Jane Doe (a little known Batman villain)
Jane_Doe.jpg

Livewire from Superman
livewire-bt_9228.jpg

Cobra from G.I. Joe
brand.gif

Eric Raymond from Jem
latest

Princess Azula from Avatar: The Last Airbender
latest

Kuvira from the Legend of Korra
latest

Van Kleiss from Generator Rex
Van_Kleiss_Profile.png

Alakshmi from Kaijudo (though now she's more of an anti-hero if anything)
char_82195.jpg

Queen Chrysalis from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
large.jpeg

Aku from Samurai Jack
1337713-aku.jpg

CP9 from One Piece
CP9_Infobox.png

Hunter J from Pokemon
312.png

Joan Of Arc from Drifters (I.E. My avatar)
Joan.Of.Arc.(Drifters).600.1532985.jpg

Darkness Aoi from Ring X Mama (a hentai, and a damn good one at that)
500359-darkness_aoi.jpg

GLaDOS from Portal
400px-GLaDOS_P2.png

Handsome Jack from Borderlands 2
handsomejack.jpg

Mary from Ib
Mary-ib-32680722-500-350.jpg

...And of course:
Double-Character-Art.jpg

Probably forgetting some, so I add them as I go.

Last edited:
Man, I'm not even gonna bother writing a list. Usually you can't have a decent story without a cool villain, so over the years I've definitely acquired a lot of favorites.

Aside from my man Skeletor though, I'll give a special shoutout to Desty Nova from Gunnm/Battle Angel:

S5N6gUP.jpg

This guy treats the human body like a Lego playset, and he's always looking for extra pieces to build up and tear down. I'll admit, at first I despised him, but by the end of the story*, I could only respect him. He didn't need a dumb sob story from his childhood to swing my opinion of him either. He's a total dick, but is always on point, and ultimately makes no excuses for himself. Strangely enough, despite being such a twisted individual, he still somehow manages to be one of the more level-headed and reasonable characters in the cast. I guess it just shows how messed up that world is in general.

*(For the record, I've been avoiding Last Order like the plague. Pls Kishiro, go back to Aqua Knight.)

Adachi_render_in_P4AU.jpg
Dr. Wily from Megaman is pretty classic

I was going to list a bunch, but Captain Beatty from Fahrenheit 451 was the only one interesting enough to make me stop and think about.

Richard the Third from the Shakespeare play of the same name is also an interesting choice. An otherwise straight forward sociopath who's made more intriguing by a notably strange out of character moment near the end of the play. Claudius from Hamlet is also very entertaining, especially in the conflicted (both for the audience and character) "prayer" scene.

Reactions: KaboomKid
Darkdeath Evilman base purely on name alone wins bestest villain guy ever!

Jasper Batt Jr.

Video Games:

The Stone Like (Radiant Silvergun): Probably one of the most depressing (depending on how you interpret the time loop) examples of the "god is evil" idea in video gaming. This game makes NGE look like rainbows and sunshine.

Lyon (Fire Emblem Sacred Stones): Poor guy. Definitely a sympathetic and regretful character, despite being responsible for a war.

YHWH (SMT series): I've always enjoyed SMT as more a commentary on politics and ethics instead of religion (what with its Thomas Hobbes-esque exploration of Security/Law vs Freedom/Chaos). Mr. Big Giant Head perfectly embodies the Orwellian dictator, claiming to provide comfort and love to his citizens but ultimately concerned only with himself. His name alone, however, makes both characters and players shudder to rebel against him.

Dark Falz/Profound Darkness (Phantasy Star): All the coolest parts of Satan and Cthulhu as villains rolled into one.

King Valentine (Odin Sphere): Entertainingly hammy but with understandable (though still vile) motivation.

Dracula (Castlevania, pre-reboot): WHAT IS A MAN etc. etc.

Madame Gaara (Esp Ra.de): Despite being a shoot em up with no dialogue, Gaara is really cool. The most intriguing part of her bio is that she's only 30 years old, but has prematurely aged herself to 70+ years old by abusing her powers. Her take over the world scheme might seem like a typical selfish tyrant move, but the fact that she's sacrificing herself to do it throws that motive into question. It's an interesting detail that lends some mystery to the character.

Last edited:
Hmm, the top five off my head...

5. Gaston - No ones as villainous as Gaston.
4. King Radical - The Most Radical Man of The Radical Land. Built 3 empires in 3 different time periods and dimensions.
3. Ric Flair - Woo! The 16 time Heavyweight Champion for a reason.
2. Victor Von Doom - As evil as he is hammy.
1. Bowser - He's had so much development from this to this.

Last edited:
It's hard acctually.

I have always liked Richard Moreau!
latest
As for humor, the god from the underworld!
latest
And it's always fun slaying these ones around the server reset!
mephisto.jpg

Mon-diablo.jpg

baal.jpg

And seriously, this FF boss has the best music. Or well, the remake at least ;)
Dissidia_Mateus.png

Despicable-game-villains-the-doctor-cave-story.jpg
The Doctor from Cave Story
783394-super_smash_bros_brawl_20080125113351204.jpg
Pokey (errr Porky) from the Mother Series
sept_p14_02_en_bbu.jpg
Archie from Pokeymons (Team Aqua For Life)

Reactions: Bigtonney
i'll put them randomly:
Syndrome from The Incredibles
36057_co.jpg
Akuma from Super Street Fighter II Turbo
download.jpg
Ocelot from Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (i'm not sure if he's a true villain, but i like the character)
images.jpg

Eliza (I love this pic)
tumblr_mjoczx7Qku1rip8ybo2_1280.jpg
This dude from bubble bobble/bust-a-move
images (1).jpg
That's all for now...

So many good choices...I'll just put up one for now.

The Pigmask Army (Mother 3)
latest

The Pigmask Army is lead by the Pig King, AKA
Pokey/Porky Minch from Earthbound
who has kidnapped villagers from another time period and brainwashed them to become sadistic, uncaring for other life and to like and agree with the Pig King. Among the stuff these have done:
  • Created freakish creatures called Chimeras through cruel biological experiments.
latest
latest
latest
latest
<-This thing's unkillable, by the way.
  • Caused the deaths of
    the main character's mother and twin brother. They also resurrected said brother as a cyborg. Who then killed himself at the end of the game.
  • Blackmailed a monkey into helping them by kidnapping his girlfriend, and frequently giving said monkey electric torture.
  • Turned a peaceful little town into
    a generic modern city and pretty much brainwashed everyone who lived there.

Sergeant walker from spec ops: the line, cuz lets lets be honest , you are the villain of that game.

Last edited:
A Pet Peeve of mine is when people HATE a character because they're evil! Lot's of great villains are universally despised and called bad characters when in actuality they're being highly effective well-written characters, and are often more interesting than the protagonist.

Light Yagami from death note. Why because I like the fact that everything he does is calculated and recalculated over and over again. He's by far one of the smartest villains in any anime

Darth Vader. Because i love Star Wars.... also he is a bad ass.

Reactions: KaboomKid
I can't believe I forgot the Mayor from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Man, he had style!

Bully,anyone?
300px-8827Gary_Smith.jpg

This fucking guy. Gary motherfucking his-last-name-is-never-mentioned-so-let's-just-say-Oak
This guy's so scummy I wouldn't be suprised if he ate Kittens in front of their mothers.He dressed up as a Nazi for halloween,and he's an antisocial,lying,dickbag.i love him
And his Final confrontation,although HEAVILY scripted,is pretty intense.

Darth Vader. Because i love Star Wars.... also he is a bad ass.
Yeah, while the prequels scratched his image a bit, there's no denying that Darth Vader is a boss. He's a quad amputee in constant pain from his injuries, and is always hooked up to a clunky life support suit that permanently hinders his movement and his connection to the Force. Yet, he overcame those weaknesses to become an even stronger warrior, and one of the most feared people in the galaxy. He's as much a role model as he is a villain.

Only thing that bugs me about Vader, is that when the mask came off, I really wish the face we saw was James Earl Jones's. "Son, welcome to the dark side."

There are many I can think of, but there's one man, one person I can think of who is just a vile dispicable S.O.B.
upload_2015-2-7_19-48-34.jpeg

Albedo, this asshole, who just want's to kill everything, and is a genuine kid toucher and diddler. Yea fuck this guy, that's why he's so great as a villain.

Reactions: SanoBaron
Azula-azula-33881807-500-333.png

Azula - There's something to be said about villains that are so competent, intimidating, and calculating they truly seem invincible. It's great to have a villain where, whenever the hero fights her, there's a frighteningly legitimate chance that the hero could face defeat. It makes every encounter with her INTERESTING. Had she not set up her own downfall over a long period of time and succumbed to madness, she could've achieved anything she wanted. And nobody could've stopped her.

I+d+most+like+a+graphic+novel+origin+story+for+the+_299d12201be801db7037dde348ad24c7.jpg
4016857-screen+shot+2014-08-07+at+15.16.57.png
The Red Lotus - When you take the time to write or imply that your villains are actual human beings, you start to get the feeling that, had things been a little different, they could've been some of the world's greatest heroes. They had everything it took to be good (good being a very ambiguous term in this case, as parts of their goals did align with the greater good and one could agree with a lot of their points), but something went wrong... and as a result when they played out their role in the story I was deeply saddened by what happened to them.

Trying to think of other really cool villains but right now this is what popped into my head first.

Yeah, while the prequels scratched his image a bit, there's no denying that Darth Vader is a boss. He's a quad amputee in constant pain from his injuries, and is always hooked up to a clunky life support suit that permanently hinders his movement and his connection to the Force. Yet, he overcame those weaknesses to become an even stronger warrior, and one of the most feared people in the galaxy. He's as much a role model as he is a villain.

Only thing that bugs me about Vader, is that when the mask came off, I really wish the face we saw was James Earl Jones's. "Son, welcome to the dark side."

The interesting thing is, if you think about it, Darth is in many ways the central character of the franchise. The prequel trilogy (if it actually existed, much like The Matrix sequels) would have been about his turn from light to dark, and the original trilogy about his turn from dark to light. Everything goes to shit when he falls from grace, and everything starts to get better when he redeems himself.

Also the whole father/son bond definitely adds some sweetness to an otherwise EXPLOSION focused story.

"I suppose there is no point in sending harmless insects to the void"
- Exdeath
FFV_iOS_Exdeath.png
Dude, nononononononononono.
Gilgamesh_XIII-2.png
It's morphin time dude!

Also, still waiting for there to be a patch/mod for a 1/500% chance for Battle On the Big Bridge to play on Under the Bridge...Then it'd be Battle UNDER the Big Brigde heheheheheheheheheh

Is Gilgamesh really a villain?I mean,he sacrifices himself in FFV,And only attacks people because he stupidly confuses them for Bartz,his rival.He's moreso a gag than a baddie.

That's what makes him amazing! In the first game he was officially a henchman for most of the game, and his self sacrifice is optional....so....I just wanted an excuse to post my luv for im, ok? DX

Trust me when I tell you I completely understand.
"This is far from the strongest of swords!"

GLaDOS for Portal 1/Wheatley for Portal 2, Depends on how you see it.
Handsome Jack, because... He's a low-rank engineer that suddenly went into a full genocide against a WHOLE PLANET just to get more power, and ofcourse, being handsome.
General Sargas Ruk from Warframe. Even though he's generally hostile to everything not Grineer, he stil has a bit of respect for the Tenno that helped him during the Gradivus Dilemma. If you ever helped him in that event around 100 times, a message will be sent from him to you, saying that there's only one thing that the Grineer can't clone, and that is 'A heart of a Warrior'.

Senator Armstrong, because Nanomachines son!

Nemu from Disgaea 4 was a pretty sympathetic villain, kinda...I like him...