• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Why are dashes so finicky?

akindhobo

derp
Reaction score
Steam
a_kind_hobo
Squigly Eliza
Been a thorn in my side since forever. I use two punches to dash most of the times but a every so often I'd say like 1 out of 10 times i'd just get a standing lp or mp. Like i just stand there awkwardly punching the air. It happens mostly after block strings, grabs or special attacks like pillar and such. basically if im not in compete neutral there is a chance than an attack will come out instead of a dash. Its annoying.

Since I'm just complaining I guess i should ask if there's anything to make dashes more consistent? I use double tapping sometimes but with two punches you can block easier after a dash. And im not too fond of the idea to map a dash to my macro button

I think I read somewhere that tapping forward twice is more consistent because one of the forward motions can be buffered during the recovery of other moves, making the dash input a little more lenient.

Reactions: Icky
Have you tried turning on your inputs in training mode. Set them to List, and you can visually verify if the game registered your inputs as lp then mp or lp+mp.

Play with a keyboard/hitbox.

keyboard is the best controller.

dashing with lp+mp is the same on arcade stick hitbox or keyboard, its just pressing two buttons ;D

Have you tried turning on your inputs in training mode. Set them to List, and you can visually verify if the game registered your inputs as lp then mp or lp+mp.

your right, i guess i should be more conscious of my inputs but i find it annoying that lp+mp dashes have the same frame or that the game gives priority to attacks and doesn't have any dash cancelling on moves....

I don't know wtf im talking about. Just that dashes are annoying for me

I know, but when I dash with :F::F: or :B::B: on keyboard/hitbox, I have the other finger to block if shit happens.

That was just a joke, not a serious reply.

Remember any time before MvC2, where you had to hit 3 buttons on the same frame to dash? Yeah.
SG gives you 2f instead of 1f, and doesn't require 3 buttons.

Remember any time before MvC2, where you had to hit 3 buttons on the same frame to dash? Yeah.
Ban macros in MvC1!

Reactions: Mwisk

While i appreciate that, it still doesn't help me with my problem.
So its basically git good or macros (or both)?

If you aren't able to hit two buttons within 2f of each other I can't offer help with that. It might be your input device not registering a button properly, or keyboard ghosting.

If it is a big problem I do suggest that you use directions, though, unless you need to instant-airdash. The last dir (F,F or B,B) can be held for up to 12f to buffer the dash early before you are finished with another action. I pretty much dash entirely with directions (even in MvC2, it's a habit from Guilty Gear) unless the game requires me to do otherwise like for airdashes in MvC2 or wavedashing. Even with Filia I usually just rapidly tap Forward.

[edit] Dir dashes offer some other benefits too, like being able to do dash~attack the very next frame.

Just double tap on your stick to dash, it's much more consistent, and at worst if you mess up you walk forward instead of throwing out a normal.

I'm wary of using directional dashes because I've had SF style input errors happen a few times. Namely, tried to dash forward and do c.LK with Double and accidentally got LK Hornet Bomber to come out.

Why not macros? you only have one assist and all...

Also i probably should have said that maybe its due to online lag? I dono, I haven't played any games offline and I can't recall having problems in training mode.

I'm wary of using directional dashes because I've had SF style input errors happen a few times. Namely, tried to dash forward and do c.LK with Double and accidentally got LK Hornet Bomber to come out.
To help with THIS problem, just make sure you use DB+LK. Same with like, avoiding dash -> F+LP with Parasoul, just make sure you hit B+LP, that way you can't be hitting F.

Also i probably should have said that maybe its due to online lag? I dono, I haven't played any games offline and I can't recall having problems in training mode.

I definitely think this is part of it, especially depending on the frame delay you set for yourself in matches.

This is also going to sound silly, but it could just be nerves that happen in pressure situations. Fighting games are fun, but they can be stressful too, and that's why we end up with so many dropped combos and other lapses in execution that occur everywhere (even the best of players). For example, when I land a Parasoul level 3 and cancel it to follow up for a combo, even though the dashing part is relatively simple, I end up getting a little too excited and I frequently hit my dashes too fast and end up doing a f.LP. This is just one of things that I feel can only go down with your own live experience, where you are not only comfortable doing it in training mode but also in live matches.

So, since this is the " @Mike_Z teaches you how to fix your input problems" thread, any advice for not getting a lp Tear when I go for a Parasoul 6lp?

(I've always avoided charge characters religiously until this game, so this whole "managing charge vs. command normals vs. movement" thing is new to me.)

Is there a good way to do something like:
Call assist
Hold back to block in case of super/reversal
6lp overhead once I can confirm that they're in blockstun and not reversaling?

Is there a good way to do something like:
Call assist
Hold back to block in case of super/reversal
6lp overhead once I can confirm that they're in blockstun and not reversaling?
By using B+HK instead, or holding back for less time. That's why she has an overhead with Back, and also is why her faster one that you can chain into lows uses Forward.

Does the 2F window also apply to alpha counters during bursts? Sometimes I miss those even when I see it coming and purposely burst to get that character out. I could just macro it though.

The last dir (F,F or B,B) can be held for up to 12f to buffer the dash early before you are finished with another action.

Does this work to buffer a ground dash during landing recovery, or will that be interpreted as an airdash input?

Well it'll work if you hit the last F after you land, but if you're still in the air then you'll get an airdash. Unless you already used up your airdash or don't have one.