• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Why do you love Skullgirls so much?

Some will speculate that Zidiane was actually imaginary, created by the community to help it deal with it's inability to comprehend blocking Diamonds.
Screw blocking, mash Reflect!
Wait, so Zidiane isn't imaginary?
Remember, he only appears if the total concentration of Ginger Ale out of all the drinks in a room where SG is being played passes beyond a critical point.

Reactions: Denizen and Zidiane
I heard if you whisper "Mashing" 3 times into a mirror at midnight Zidiane shows up and level 3s you.

I heard if you whisper "Mashing" 3 times into a mirror at midnight Zidiane shows up and level 3s you.
Conversely, saying "Bloody Marie" 3 times into a mirror in darkness, Bloody Mary appears and corrects you on the pronunciation, to which you proceed to explain that you were saying it right and referring to the Skullgirls character, to which she proceeds to say something along the lines of "No one plays your Waifu game", to which you respond that people do, to which she retorts.
This proceeds for about half an hour until you say "Mashing" 3 times into the mirror, at which point Zidiane will Level 3 Bloody Mary and demand his tithe of Ginger Ale. If it's Canada Dry, he thanks you and goes on his way. If it's some other brand, you get Titan Knuckled in the face. If no Ginger Ale, you get Level 3-ed.

When I look at Skullgirls I see infinite potential. This game could truly become the best fighter out there and that is why I'm devoted to support it as long as I can.

Reactions: blufang and Dime
I'm here for the
ym8X04g.png

If I had to narrow it down, I love Skullgirls so much because the developers CARE so much. All of the designs and details and patches and balancing and... hnnng I could just go on.

I think what I love the most is the team's commitment to the game. You can really feel the passion that everybody has for the project.

Also the character designs and animation are fucking awesome

Reactions: KaboomKid
...it's inability to comprehend blocking Diamonds.
But... but Diamonds are forever... you can't block forever...

The fact that the team's dedication is actually reflected in the gameplay, and isnt just some BS claim made by most developers (I'm looking at you, WarZ development team), is enough to make me love the game as it is.

Also mouthbreathing waste of space is the best insult I've ever heard in a long time.

I like most everything about sg the game. The thing i like MOST about it is that it genuinely feels like one of the most honest fighting games ive ever played. Mixups are actual mixups, and almost everything, if not everything, can be beaten. There are counters to everything. And offense is actually really good in this game. I like the fact that hitconfirms are generally easy and dont take rid akin levels of reaction time to confirm, and i like that most hitconfirms are safe on block yet dont necessarily give themselves to re offense if the full confirm is gone for.

Mostly though its the great online and great offense. I really really like the good yet not broken offense that sg has. This system is a breath of fresh compared to almsot every other fighting game ive ever played. One of the few fighting games where i almost always learn something when i lose and where I'm much much less likely to blame the game or my characters bad tier placement on my losses. When i lose i feel like i got out played and when i win i feel like i outplayed my opponent which is one of the most satisfying experiences ever.

Reactions: blufang
Because I feel like my time has been rewarded with results and game proficiency, that there's always a way to blow up the way someone likes to defend or the way they attack(unless it's Double who let Filia close in, RIP), that you can punish brainless mashing with burst baits into they die.

I felt like Skullgirls has managed to bridge my skills between this game and others. I've found that this game has a bit of a steepish learning curve for people who come from other games into it, but from coming into Skullgirls, becoming proficient, and going into other games I find that many of my general skills have increased in other games. Specifically, 2D abare(converting off of random hits), burst baits, pushblocking, and paying attention to how people like to defend.

That it's actually got players in Australia is a big big bonus.

Honestly the first time I saw footage of Skullgirls I thought "Oh it's just some ordinary anime fighting game I'll probably never play" But after I saw an Let's Play of the game, I was thinking to myself "Holy crap I have to get this game"
Hell, the only reason why I got Steam was just to play this game.

Oh do I like the SG?
Charctersstorybalancedgameplayblahblahabunchofstuffalreadysaid.

Main reason; freedom the game gives you...when you go to lab with this game, there's always new things to explore and discover.

Reason I still continue to follow SG; lore, art/design (this grew on me), music/sound, Dev team. The passion the Dev team and community has.

Additional note: the game is MADE by the FGC, for the FGC. It feels good knowing that it's tailored to suit the taste and needs of players instead of mainly corporate made decisions about adding a new character/feature just for the sake of getting more money.

*cough* capcom * cough*

Reactions: blufang
It's the best modern fighting game. Full of imagination, creativity, and ambition. Things that are lacking in many modern day fighters.

Aside from the game itself having fantastic gameplay, story, and visuals, Lab Zero is awesome. I've never seen a dev team so willing to listen to their fans. They let us vote for the characters that got in, they stream the process of making the new characters, some of the voice actors used to come in and talk with us on Twitch (not sure if they still do, I keep forgetting about Salty. Switching it to Friday really threw me off, heh.) Seriously Lab Zero, love you guys.

Reactions: lolster2nite
Good visuals, good art, dedicated community and development team, there is too much stuff to list about what I love about Skullgirls.

Reactions: StripeyBoosh
Charismatic and original roster. Character design and personality. Story that acually took a lot more than 3 seconds to be made.

I just find it to be a fun and stylistic game that happens to have a fun cast of characters, an interesting plot, very balanced and fun gameplay, and the community is pretty cool.

Also Peacock x Marie 4ever.

The art style of the characters and the way the game was presented in it's current format is what drew me to the game. The trailers had me hooked more than the combos. And the characters; here were new people, not established in any other form or fandom, that were pinballing eachother around the screen with new attacks.

I was hooked even though I only saw the info sporatically. The now infamous Indiegogo campaign drew me in completely with the interactivity and the fact that they were quite literally putting the game in our hands for additions.

I played it in the spring of last year for the first time, finally got the game myself on 360 when Encore finally hit it, and have never looked back.

I always liked the look of this game, but I was apprehensive because I really hate Marvel (Street fighters being the only games I was familiar with).
I bought it on sale, played it a bit, and fell in love with how expressive each character was in everything that they do. The one that really hooked me was the first time I saw Parasoul's walk cycle. It just oozed elegance and poise.

Then I bought a 4 pack and nobody played it with me.
And here I am today. Carrying on my legacy of being the worst at every game ever.

Reactions: lolster2nite
game alway looked fun to me and also here for Ms Fortune.:FOR::PUN:

tumblr_m3hh5dmgnN1ql3c82.gif

its the best apsects of Marvel 1 & 2 made into its own game with its own unique stuff.

It's everything about the game, I liked mortal Kombat, but not a deep enough story, not enough boobs

and then came

Skullgirls!

Everything about the game from graphics to the artstyle which appeal to me to pick when it was first release. It also inspires as an artist because i'm also interested creating a fighting game. I do see whenever Mr Ahad posts stuff onto his deviantart which is always nice and inspiring and seeing so many other artists on deviantart or not showcase their amazing artwork up hope for me one day to be recognize by the great.

When I first saw this game, I didn't expect much and it didn't interest me very much; and the demo only allowed me to play as two characters (Filia and Peacock) so I couldn't get a real taste of the game, plus it took over 1 GB and I felt it was too much. It also looked a lot like Marvel vs Capcom, a series I'm not too fond of because of its extreme learning curve and infuriating difficulty, and I thought the same would happen here toSlowly though, I watched vids of the game and changed my mind and decided to try it again... unfortunately it was when the game was removed from XBLA and PSN so I couldn't get it. Eventually I bought the game on Steam as an alternative (skeptical bout the keyboard layout), and I loved it!

- Beautiful Animation and most fps in a fighting game to date
- Inrtiguing Storyline, especially for a fighting game
- A great, unique cast of characters; especially Filia, who has probably become of my fave fighting game characters
- Decent voice acting (except Cerebella and Parasoul's voices, but that's just me)
- No Infinite Combos! Yay! Bloody hated that stuff in Marvel and it infuriates me to no end
- Easy, loose combo system that lets me use whatever combo I please
- Amazing Training Mode that easy to practice with and allows me to see Hitboxes
- Good Online Netcode

I don't think the game is perfect though, ain't no such thing

- Small cast of characters

- Basic Game Modes, like many fighting games

- Unfitting Soundtrack and Stage Music. Most of the songs are too slow or peaceful to keep up withe fast paced action happening in front of it and doesn't really give me a fighting spirit. And of the songs that do give me a combat vibe, only 2 of them are actually good (Under the Bridge and Streets of New Meridian) in my opinion. The songs feel more like they belong in a puzzle or platformer game or something to listen to in real life, and when iI do that I can still hear the combat sound effects and voice acting from the game :PUN:! I think the soundtrack is good on its own, but not so much for a combat game; and I personally find it outclassed by other FG soundtracks like Street Fighter 3, Capcom vs Series (except Marvel vs Capcom 2), and Vampire Hunter: Darkstalkers' Revenge

- Tutorial tells how to play most fighting games, but it doesn't tell how to play this fighting game; mostly the character-specific tutorials. They don't really teach anything good like Bread and Butter moves or example combos, they only go over special moves and sometimes give very bad advice. The intros also only tell a character's strengths, what they don't tell me is what's wrong with the character or some notable weakness so I know what to do when fighting against them or watch out for what my oppponent can do to me.

- Story Mode has no animated cutscenes or voice acting, and you can't use palette swap colors for your character, only the default colors (Damn!). Why isn't it mission-based or something cool with minigames? Sadly, as good as the Story is writing-wise, it doesn't really have a fun game mode to go with it.

Skullgirls was a nice idea and they went a long way with this game, and its my 2nd favorite fighting game that I currently play. It could potentially become very interesting and compete with bigger games like Street Fighter 4, Super Smash Bros, and Injustice; but not in its present state. The game is already great, but it would've better if it had spent a few more years in development before its release and added more than 9 characters (The 6 DLCs only make 15 total, and that's still not very big). The possible DLC candidates used in the Indiegogo voting Campings like Samson (standalone), Feng, Minette, and whatnot; I wish they added more of them and increase the roster to at least 25 characters; a pool of only 15 feels rather shallow for me. And yes, I know that I takes time and money add all of these and it probably wouldn't be possible in its current state, but I can still dream.

I love it because:
Parasoul
Brand new game, not a remake, a completely new universe
Reminds me of Marvel two
The art style
Super unique cast in terms of design, gameplay, personalities, etc.
Parasoul
Easy to play, but rewards players who put time into it
Parasoul
Egrets
It's an "Indie" game
The small, but amazing community that supports this game.

"The developers care" is such a small but incredible thing. It's something that just suffuses the entire game. The constant subtle rebalances, testing, experimenting, and the free additions added along, ever seeking a fast, flowing game that is so balanced it could dance on a razor. It's a level of long-term dedication that can only be devoted to one's true magnum opus. It reminds me of Dwarf Fortress; the two games are utterly different in every imaginable way, gameplay-wise, of course, but both have that feel of obsessive experimentation and perfecting.

And of course, the community. Finished my first online tournament a few days ago. Came in dead last, but the people I played made it a pleasure and an educational experience, and I find myself looking forward to and eagerly practicing for the next.

I seem to have a thing for series with a large and diverse cast of strong female characters (Sailor Moon, MLP:FiM, Touhou, etc). The game has an excellent fighting engine that just feels right to me. Hell, I prefer it over other major fighting games of today like Street Fighter 4, Mortal Kombat, and Tekken. And it has a compelling backstory with its colorful cast to tie it all together also.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fat-Ass ♪
It's funny, jazzy, sexy, and one of the best fighting games out there.

Reactions: Jimbob
First of all, it's a fighting game and I like fighting games. Second, it is unique in terms of characters. They are all over the place. Cat lady who can detach her limbs at will, Little girl who is a reference to old cartoons and can pull off all their stunts, a ninja nurse, and so on. Third, the art style is nice. Everything being hand drawn is quite impressive. Fourth, it has good music. And last but not least...Da booty

I truly love the characters! The game itself is unique, I mean the music, normally in fighting games you will hear blood pumping heavy metal (not that that is bad I <3 Guilty Gear) and the like but in SG, lol, you can like, sip coffee or read a book to the whole soundtrack, I just appreciate the originality. And the story/lore, I think it is one of the best among fighting games. I mean, I am just waiting for SG to have some type of movie/show/comicbook, it is too damn good to be confined to just a video game! And Just imagine how hilarious the fillers would be! Lastly, I am kinda a sucker for old timey things. Being a 90s baby, I am kinda infatuated with the 1930s-1960s era and I love that Canopy Kingdom is kinda set in those times. Everything that I love is just packed in SG. Right down to the fat asses! ^^b