• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Widen or move Squigly's hitbox by one..freaking..pixel.

Silk_Sk

Reaction score
Steam
Silk_Sk
Painwheel Squigly
I've run into an issue using Painwheel's light Buer Reaper > Flight > air Lp > Mp chain against Squigly. It works going right, but when going left, the Mp almost always whiffs for some reason. I turned on hitboxes and saw this.

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/26212572995788794/D371D5AE4AB733B84000A4CE721B90228CD8C0D7/

The hitbox is touching..TOUCHING the attack box, but does not hit. Again, this does not happen going the other direction. This isn't just bad luck. This is consistent and recreatable. Squigly gets hit one pixel too far going left stage, but never when going right. Combos should work the same going either direction.

While I would prefer it working in both directions, making it not work going right would also be a fix, just so long as the gameplay isn't asymmetrical. Some combos don't work on some characters and that's fine, but this should be fixed.

Saw this post on steam forums earlier. idk if actual glitch but better safe than sorry I think.

"I've run into an issue using Painwheel's light Buer Reaper > Flight > air Lp > Mp chain against Squigly. It works going right, but when going left, the Mp almost always whiffs for some reason. I turned on hitboxes and saw this.

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/26212572995788794/D371D5AE4AB733B84000A4CE721B90228CD8C0D7/

The hitbox is touching..TOUCHING the attack box, but does not hit. Again, this does not happen going the other direction. This isn't just bad luck. This is consistent and recreatable. Squigly gets hit one pixel too far going left stage, but never when going right. Combos should work the same going either direction.

While I would prefer it working in both directions, making it not work going right would also be a fix, just so long as the gameplay isn't asymmetrical. Some combos don't work on some characters and that's fine, but this should be fixed.

-Silk_Sk"

Reactions: Lexeous
Not a glitch.

I had a video of this months ago. MikeZ said it doesn't actually touch and is a function of Squigs extra tiny hitbox. I switched my bnb due to this as it is ultra punishable on whiff.

It is intermittent because it is timing and spacing dependent.

That said, I didn't know it was only on the left side and not the right side. Maybe that will change something?

merging with an existing thread

Not a glitch.

I had a video of this months ago. MikeZ said it doesn't actually touch and is a function of Squigs extra tiny hitbox. I switched my bnb due to this as it is ultra punishable on whiff.

It is intermittent because it is timing and spacing dependent.

That said, I didn't know it was only on the left side and not the right side. Maybe that will change something?

As I said, I wouldn't mind the "fix" being that it doesn't work going right either. I hope the devs don't dismiss this thread without reading it. Intentional or not, a combo should work the same in both directions.

The hitbox is touching..TOUCHING the attack box, but does not hit.
Alright, let's get a thing straight. She's not making contact. Hitboxes work the same either way. When it's overlapping, it hits, when it is not overlapping, you're complaining and going to piss off the developer, who may not feel like he should listen to you any further.

You can see the lack of overlap since both the yellow and red edges are shown, whereas when it hits they overlap (depending on draw order you get orange or just yellow stomps red):
painwheel s.MP.png

This isn't just bad luck. This is consistent and recreatable.
Actually, it is just bad luck, and is not consistent even when facing left. It is recreatable, though, yes.

The fact that it only happens facing one direction, a new fact, makes it something I'll fix.

Alright, let's get a thing straight. She's not making contact. Hitboxes work the same either way. When it's overlapping, it hits, when it is not overlapping, you're complaining and going to piss off the developer, who may not feel like he should listen to you any further.

I apologize. Truthfully, I found the situation more humorous than frustrating, but I see I did not communicate that. I know overlap is what makes the boxes go boom, not touching. I was just surprised to see that it was
XZ2MusN.png

The fact that it only happens facing one direction, a new fact, makes it something I'll fix.

Thanks, I sincerely appreciate it.

Also, why would this involve changing Squigly's entire character rather than PW's one attack?

Also, why would this involve changing Squigly's entire character rather than PW's one attack?
Don't read too much into it. My non-game developer brain's knee-jerk reaction to a single pixel's worth of whiff is not likely to be something intelligent. Devs as selfless as you guys are Unicorn rare, and the fact that you listen to and swiftly act on community feedback makes you practically angelic in my eyes. Unfortunately for you, that selflessness means slogging through absurd suggestions from scrubs like me in order to see if there's any actual issue worth addressing. In this case, I'm glad you saw there was a problem to fix despite the back-asswards solution I titled the thread with; which, I'd like to make clear I never had any particular attachment to. I would never dream of being entitled to the right to tell you how to do your job.

The issue, as we both recognized, was the asymmetrical gameplay. Make it hit both ways, make it whiff both ways, either works. But please, bless everyone who plays this game by never ever giving a shit-stained toilet rag's rip what I have to say about how to fix it.

Last edited:
Did anyone said "buff Painwheel"?

No...no I don't want that.

Happy-GIF_2.gif

Yes I do.

*raises hand*

What would be making it work going in one direction and not the other?

Reactions: gllt
Subpixels.
These subpixels go away (or appear) when Squigly is getting hit in a particular direction? How/why?

Not sure, all I know is that when I properly execute the combo going right, Mp hits. And even if I don't execute it properly, it's at least guarded, but it never whiffs. But going left, out of 30+ proper executions, only about 3 hit. The rest whiffed.
It's easier if you record a dummy doing it since there isn't any "proper execution" variable. It misses about 1/10th of the time facing left with a dummy recording. (Which by contrast indicates that you were messing it up over half the time of your "proper executions", heh.)

These subpixels go away when Squigly is getting hit in a particular direction?
position = floor(position_with_subpixels) goes differently for different sides, yes. And since (int) of some float is equivalent to that, yes.

The bit I'm gonna look at is that that SHOULD work the same way for both PW and Squigly, regardless of side, so there should be no difference.

Reactions: Mr. X
It's easier if you record a dummy doing it since there isn't any "proper execution" variable. It misses about 1/10th of the time facing left with a dummy recording. (Which by contrast indicates that you were messing it up over half the time of your "proper executions", heh.)

Touche. By "proper execution" I mean the execution that results in a successful Mp hit going rightwards. That same execution whiffs going left. To be sure, I executed the combo several times at 25% speed with the same results. Hits going right, whiffs going left. You're right, I could use a dummy. But if there were a human error factor involved, then I would also occasionally whiff going right, which never happens. But, I'm not trying to prove a point here. Just explaining the process I used.

Also, trust me, I mess up FAR more than half the time.

You don't have to be self-deprecating, that's not helpful to anyone.
And yes, I know it only happens going left, I was saying that's much more easily verifiable with a dummy recording since the inputs are always the same.

Anyway, I fixed it. I also enlarged her one attack box by 2px, just in case.

You don't have to be self-deprecating, that's not helpful to anyone.
And yes, I know it only happens going left, I was saying that's much more easily verifiable with a dummy recording since the inputs are always the same.

Anyway, I fixed it. I also enlarged her one attack box by 2px, just in case.

That's awesome! Thank you.