• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Winning without combos?

What do you think?

• Aye!

Votes: 15 53.6%
  • Nay!

Votes: 13 46.4%

• Total voters
Actually you do need quite a few hours to understand the way combos work in this game if you've never played anything like it. I could reliably do 1 and 2 frame links in sf4 before playing this game, but learning how chains work took some effort. Combos in sf4 are very rigid and focused on links, the combo system in sg doesn't lend itself to such a rigidity so the combos we come up with can have rythms that aren't purely defined by the recovery time of the normals you use.

I guess if you have no experience with anything remotely similar, than yeah. But in that case I still wouldn't recommend 20 hours before jumping in. Work your way up while playing people of a similar level, adding more and more stuff to your repertoire as you go.

Biggest stumbling block I see to this is people who have no concepts of baby steps or gradual improvement.

Thanks for all your help, guys!
It's really given me a lot of useful info that I will, hopefully, use.
Since I can't string attacks together smoothly for now, I'm planning on using Valentine and Big Band and being hyper-aggressive.
For now I think I'll just practice blocking and waiting for my opponents to slip-up...

Reactions: juju_for_president