• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Yooka-Laylee: AKA Banjo-Kazooie 3

Senjin

Reaction score
Steam
Senjin
PSN
bass6286
Unknown Unknown Unknown
Here's the Kickstarter.

They reached their initial funding goal in under 40min, because of course they did. Still plenty of stretch goals though! Personally, I'm rooting for transformations and mine cart rides.

Not a big Banjo fan but this got me giddy yesterday. Hope the music's good.

The motherhumping thing made it's funding goal in less than an hour.
Guess people still like Rareware's greats and platformers.
And we got a month and two weeks to go.
I look forward to just HOW much money this beast will get.

Did it reach its goal faster than Mighty #9? I don't remember...

Well, lots of people got completely pissed over the year as how rare progressively became a shadow of it's former self, and the recent incident with conker in project spark just re-ignited that flame. So when something like that looks like what they had the habit of doing in the past, of course lot's of people will plunge in! In fact i wish Treasure launched such kickstarter, with sin and punishment 2 they proved that they still can do awesome things, and yet it's like the industry don't allow them to do what they are the best at!

Hate the bat nose, but otherwise it seems to look cool, i'm curious of how it will end up! In the meantime, for another dose of 3D platformer goodness, check out A hat in time! That one looks very cool so far, is in the same vein, and DO in a way share a composer with this game!

I might donate some cash to it one day. I do enjoy myself some platformers.

Yeah, the character designs feel kinda "safe," but the game definitely has Classic Rare written all over it. Looks like they've already made a lot of progress on it too, so hopefully they might release a short stage demo soon. I'd still give the edge to Banjo in terms of style right now, but they could definitely pull a lot of interesting game mechanics out of a chameleon & bat duo.

I'd like to think that A Hat in Time played a big part in pushing this team to go indie. Hopefully those two groups might collaborate on something in the future and keep this style of platformer going strong.

The motherhumping thing made it's funding goal in less than an hour.
Guess people still like Rareware's greats and platformers.
And we got a month and two weeks to go.
I look forward to just HOW much money this beast will get.
Initially, I honestly didn't think it was going to reach $1 million. But considering how they're now almost halfway there and it hasn't even been three hours yet, it looks like that amount is going to be crushed by the end of things.

I'd like to think that A Hat in Time played a big part in pushing this team to go indie.
I was actually wondering this myself. I missed the chance to back that game, but from what I keep hearing about it, it's shaping up to be really good. Do you know when it's supposed to be released? Hopefully it doesn't wind up getting overshadowed by this game.

I agree about the character designs being pretty bland. We'll see if they evolve at all during development (not in a drastic way, but maybe they'll get some accessories or something).

Reactions: Jutsei
I'd like to think that A Hat in Time played a big part in pushing this team to go indie. Hopefully those two groups might collaborate on something in the future and keep this style of platformer going strong.

You'd probably be right! The main difference between them is that a hat in time is more sugary and need less to rely on fart joke i guess. But those two can and probably will cross-over at one point or the other.

Maybe you can add Lobodestroyo on that list too. It's less high profile than a hat in time, but their goal is the same and so far they seems serious about doing something solid. It will probably take a while before a end result, but i'm confident something good will come out of it!

Reactions: KaboomKid
I was actually wondering this myself. I missed the chance to back that game, but from what I keep hearing about it, it's shaping up to be really good. Do you know when it's supposed to be released? Hopefully it doesn't wind up getting overshadowed by this game.

It got quite popular with the years and the beta is already out, so it won't be overshadowed! As for a release date...if i had to guess, it would be in between 6 month to one year. They've been working on it for a long time and now use the beta for feedback for polishing it further, so it won't come out soon. However, They plan to release a main game with 5 worlds, and add 2 additional bonus world as either DLC or post-launch release later, so i guess they don't want people to wait for too long either!

I was actually wondering this myself. Do you know when it's supposed to be released? Hopefully it doesn't wind up getting overshadowed by this game.
I also have no idea of A Hat in Time's release date, but the beta gameplay definitely looks solid. The two games look like they'll offer fairly different experiences, so I doubt one will overshadow the other. So far it looks like Yooka-Laylee's gameplay might be sticking closer to Rare's signature Banjo/DK64 style, while A Hat in Time actually seems a little closer to Mario 64/Sunshine in some ways. We'll see how they turn out in the end though.
Maybe you can add Lobodestroyo on that list too.
Oh man, I forgot all about that game! I remember they had some pretty cool character designs too, so I'm glad it's still being worked on. I actually didn't hear about that game until waaay later when I saw their character in Super Indie Karts.

But yeah, since some of the Yooka-Laylee team has already supported those projects previously, I'd just love to see that helpful trend continue for any future projects they might do. Who knows, all together they could be like the Justice League of 3D platformers!

But yeah, since some of the Yooka-Laylee team has already supported those projects previously, I'd just love to see that helpful trend continue for any future projects they might do. Who knows, all together they could be like the Justice League of 3D platformers!

That...would actually be really cool! And since indie game seems less shy about crossovers idea in general, it may actually happens! In the far future when all those games are completed of course, but i'd really like to see a game that combine all of them in some way! I mean althought they're going in different direction, their styles is actually pretty close of each other!

Someone wake me up when this is out, please.

I swear if this doesn't live up to allllll my rose tinted childhood memories something is going to burn.

Reactions: gllt
Videogames is probably the only media where plagiarism is approved and encouraged. It's the same thing as Mighty No.9. Even the devs have no problem saying that they're copying a famous title, on contrary they make it their slogan.
Even the hardest Anastasia fans admit they don't like the fact the movie is Disney plagiarism...
I'll never understand gamers.

Making a spiritual successor to something you worked on yourself should be considered plagarism? Really?

See, the thing about games is that there is this thing could interactivity, they aren't literally copying interactions from any one Banjo Kazooie game, they are making a new game IN THE SPIRIT of Banjo Kazooie.

Pretty silly to call it plagarism... seriously. Games are an iterative medium

Videogames is probably the only media where plagiarism is approved and encouraged. It's the same thing as Mighty No.9. Even the devs have no problem saying that they're copying a famous title, on contrary they make it their slogan.
Even the hardest Anastasia fans admit they don't like the fact the movie is Disney plagiarism...
I'll never understand gamers.

I understand your point,but doesn't totally agree. Even if they weren't copying their own work, doing something like megaman or banjo-kazooie is simply saying that you choose a mold for constructing the game. Now then, it's what you add or change to said mold that give the original value to the game, that's where some people crash by following the mold too closely(or even sometime, not closely enough).

As for why gamer are more tolerant than movie fan on this? No idea frankly, both should be on the same boat. But with the indie scene going strong, we're less forced to play the 10th copy of battlefield or stuff like that, so if we want wholly original stuff there more choice now!

I'm personally of the mindset that collectathons should have died with the 90s
and the character designs aside from Laylee are fairly unremarkable
but also I love David Wise and Grant Kirkhope so I'll at least listen to the game

It gets a solid "probably won't be awful" atm

I'm personally of the mindset that collectathons should have died with the 90s
and the character designs aside from Laylee are fairly unremarkable
but also I love David Wise and Grant Kirkhope so I'll at least listen to the game

It gets a solid "probably won't be awful" atm

It's true that at the moment it's pretty much a 'blind-faith' backing as almost nothing of the game is known beside it's inspiration. but if it can put rare/playtonic back on the map, i think it's Worth a try. As for the collectathon thingy, they seems aware of what went overboard in the past, so hopefully it will be harmless. We'll see i guess.

They already got all their stretch goal...i hope they won't add plenty, then suffer from feature bloating and won't be able to complete it.

fairly hyped for this. looks like it'll be awesome.

yooka reminds me a little too much of fizz though

Necroppsting? Nay, more like it's been dug up by a familiar warrior!

Man.

I love how Shovel Knight is in everything.

It really shows how shit MN9 is.

Yeah when I talked with the developer at Comic Con at launch, he said he wanted "Shovel Knight in everything."

"Shovel Knight in smash bros. Shovel Knight merchandise. Shovel Knight saturday morning cartoon. Shovel Knight breakfast cereal."

Or something to that effect.

I'd say I think people are blowing this Jontron thing out of proportion, but then I might be tagged as a racist bigot.

I wonder if the Hat in Time guys are gonna follow suit.

I'd say I think people are blowing this Jontron thing out of proportion, but then I might be tagged as a racist bigot.

I've heard what he has been saying very closely, and no, Jontron is really that bad. And I was a big fan of his back in the day.

Honestly the signs were there years ago but I just didnt see them, like this:

I don't think this is the thread for this kind of discussion.

People really are blowing what he says out of proportion.

It's really sucky that Jontron got taken out of this.

Reactions: ArgonBern
I agree that people are letting emotions get out of control to the point where no one is getting any actual information out of this.

from what I can tell: Jon is politically incorrect, but he's not "violent" "dangerous" "scary" or "frightening" or whatever buzzword people want to use to describe him.

now, for the same of this thread, let's move the topic on something else before this thread is locked with not even 3 pages of comments. please?

Only thing I will say is that it is their right to remove him, however if he paid to be in it they should refund him, if not then its their choice.

however if he paid to be in it they should refund him
He did it for free, from what I've seen.

He did it for free, from what I've seen.
I think they mainly added him because Jontron is a massive fan of Banjo-Kazooie and his Nuts and Bolts video is still one of his best.

if he did it for free then its their right to remove him, however I doubt he will be removed from hat in time because he paid to do a voice in it.

however brushing this aside nothing has sold me about yookie laylee. the character designs look unappealing as some designs from the Microsoft rare phase and the gameplay shown doesn't tickle my fancy.