• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Zero Escape Series

JBThazard

Jazzgasm
Reaction score
Steam
JBThazard
Valentine Robo Fortune Big Band
Wait. Really? Okay then.

I searched again and again and again on this site for a thread about Zero Escape, 999/Virtue's Last Reward, and didn't find any, so I guess I'll just start the thread here and now? Hopefully I'm not the only one who got to save my waifu by teaching her mad sudoku tricks. These are some of my all time favorite games when it comes to plot, so let's get this rolling.

Also, this in like 11 hours: http://4infinity.co/

Oh a possible sequel? Thought this was dead in the water after bad sales.

Cool, i've been recommended this game by a tonne of places, and it seems like a good fit since i'm a fan of Ace Attorney and Dangan Ronpa. I guess this might as well be a good enough reason to get into the series

Oh nice to see it happen. I'll get it for my Vita when it drops. Hopefully the sales are better this time with all the demands for a sequel. Wonder if this will come out before DR3.

I'm still in the process of getting the endings in the first game.

I got to one of the endings in the sequel where you need to put in the password but I couldn't get it.

Oh nice to see it happen. I'll get it for my Vita when it drops. Hopefully the sales are better this time with all the demands for a sequel. Wonder if this will come out before DR3.

Apparently it's been confirmed that Vol 3 will be the final piece in this trilogy, but who knows if it sells.
I'm still in the process of getting the endings in the first game.

I got to one of the endings in the sequel where you need to put in the password but I couldn't get it.

Was it...the path on the left or on the right?

Been meaning to get into it, just got no idea when to start.
I'll get 999 no problem, but after that do I get the sequel for Vita or 3DS?

I played it on 3DS and to my knowledge, that one is considered the better version, but I doubt it really matters. Get it on whatever platform you prefer.

do I get the sequel for Vita or 3DS?
get the Vita because you can have 3 save slots and NO CRIPPLING SAVE BUGS!

Was it...the path on the left or on the right?
left.

Now I have the drive to play the games again and I was just trying to get through Ar Nosurge + too
get the Vita because you can have 3 save slots and NO CRIPPLING SAVE BUGS!
This. I would wait for a PSN sale though since the game has sales often.

So here's some Zero Escape related news

There's going to be a promotional event going down in LA starting April 15th called "Real Zero Escape: Trust on Trial". It's an hour and a half, 9 person room escape event. Tickets are already on sale so you can check those out here. http://realescapegame.com/zero_la/

We also have a screenshot of the cast from the most recent Famitsu magazine.
ZE3_Fami-Scan_03-08-16_001-600x371.jpg

From left to right:
Akane, Carlos, Junpei, Eric, Q, Mila, Phi, Diana, and Sigma. The plague doctor is speculated to be Zero.

I'm really digging some of the new style although Akane has the most jarring transition from the previous one. And while they did go for a more grounded aesthetic for everyone it's nice to see a kid in a weird sphere helmet. It wouldn't be a zero escape game without someone looking out of place.

They have also been putting up character portraits on the Aksys twitter. Here's a compilation of all the released ones except for the masked girl.
CcZxCDWWEAEPkOs.jpg

Me Gusta Mila

I meant to ask here earlier whether I should get myself Fire Emblem Awakening or Virtue's Last Reward for my 3DS, but forgot and ordered FEA earlier.

I'd heard really good things about 999 for ages and decided to play it a few months ago. Unfortunately i decided to play the ipod version.

Don't do it lol.

No puzzles, slow text. It became a chore to finish off, and as i understand it parts of the story were also glossed over. Its put me off playing VLR slightly, and I've also been slightly spoiled on the story of VLR (apparently). Here's what I know:

Junpei is the old man
They're on Mars?
People can swap bodies??
There's a robot girl

Is it worth me sticking with the series? Zero Time Dilemma looks pretty good. Did I make the right choice choosing Fire Emblem?

if you didn't like 999, you won't like VLR

The Vita version is better. The 3DS version has crippling save bugs. And one save file

Play the real version of 999 on the DS.

or treat yourself to a game that isn't about masturbatory pseudoscience why don't you

I mean, considering VLR is one of the few times where masturbatory pseudoscience is done well, its a good recommendation.

I mean, it could have gone the route of Gantz but didn't.

well it's certainly not hard to be better than gantz

I've had chinese takeout written better than gantz

I've been pussyfooting around picking up VLR for my PSTV for the last couple of days and I'm almost finished with my 100% run of 999. Someone convince me to spend $26 and to stop being cheap.

I've been pussyfooting around picking up VLR for my PSTV for the last couple of days and I'm almost finished with my 100% run of 999. Someone convince me to spend $26 and to stop being cheap.
there's a bunch of different endings and I paid full price for it and even then I would have paid more for it.

also, there's a blonde guy named Dio.

spend 26 dollars to stock yo fridge a little, fam
Grocery shopping it is, thanks.
there's a bunch of different endings and I paid full price for it and even then I would have paid more for it.

also, there's a blonde guy named Dio.
I kind of know a fair bit of the plot for VLR through some streams I followed with a LPer called SuperGreatFriend. He's the reason I got into the Zero Escape series. What I remember because it's been a few years (and I wasn't there for every stream and stopped after a while so I could remain unspoiled of the true ending.)
Clover is back.
Dio is part of some doomsday cult and he's not to be trusted because he's blond and named Dio for christ's sake.
Our memory of other routes persists and at one point Phi betrays us citing us betraying her despite none of the runs we did having us betraying her.
That's about it. I'll probably get it next week.

well, you never got to the best part.
which involves K and why he's my favorite Zero Escape character forever.

Reactions: PaperBag_Sniper
I am curious to figure out what his deal is.

And with ZTD coming out in a few months I'm happy that I'll be able to get to one of these games fresh for a change.

it's not even a story deal. there's a thing you can do in a room and it makes K my favorite character.

As I resume my goal to 100% 999 just get the best Bad Ending I've ever gotten in a game.
So I was initially stuck after getting the Coffin, Safe, and submarine endings. I have resisted using guides except in the kitchen for the hexadecimal puzzle (my cs degree weeps at how long that took me). But after getting the submarine ending 3 times and currently concluding that door 2 is a guarenteed death flag I couldn't figure out what combinations of rooms will give me a clear. So I gave the IGN guide a quick peruse since it has no spoilers and figured out that once you get the coffin ending with the "to be continued" you need to repeat a route to get the true ending. I had written this down as Doors 4 -> 7 -> 1 and I did this just now. But boy was I surprised when Junpei was too stupid to realize that Clover had smuggled the axe out of the captains quarters. I already knew she was going to kill everyone in one of the endings but for the life of me I thought I had solved the route when suddenly the death flag reared it's ugly head.

Anyways. After Junpei is mindbroken at the realization that Clover just murdered June, Seven, and Santa he takes Clover's hand only to have his arm cut off in the process (I'm assuming she just cuts off his hand). The whole scene was really dark and I love it. But now I'm back to my notes crossing off another permutation of room combinations.

Speaking of which. I just looked at my notes and realized that this was a new route I took. I need to take 4 -> 7 -> 1 in order to give clover the bookmark again. Which I assume plays a part in keeping her sane. Probably going to hit this tomorrow after work but man did this reignite my desire to finish this game. Who says bad ending ruin things.

so excited for the Q team, they look wonderful!

imagine using a guide and discovering that when instead of one ending you get another.

I was trying to get the coffin ending when I somehow made a wrong decision at the start and got the axe ending instead.

kinda added to the axe ending's shock when ya think about it.

Kind of frustrated with 999 now
Am I crazy or does Door 1 become a permanent bad end door after you get both the coffin and axe ending? I've been through this door three times and now all I can do is die afterwards. First time was my first time through the game and I had given Clover the Bookmark only to wind up with the coffin ending. That route was 4 -> 7(Give bookmark) -> 1.

now I've done 4 -> 8 -> 1 and 4 -> 7(no Bookmark) -> 1 AND 4 -> 7(Give bookmark) -> 1

and all of those give me a game over. What happened? I'm doing another permutation this time with door 5 as teh start to see if I can trigger a new flag. But I'm certain from my notes that any route ending in door 2 leads to the submarine and Door 6 leads to the safe ending which is what I'm trying to avoid. I need door 1 to work but now the game seems to have changed somehow.

One more ending down.
Got shanked. But I cleaned up my route maps and I have only 2 more permutations to go.

Holy crap that ending was a ride. There's a lot I want to unpack from this but for now I'll just say that I got burnt out on 999 weeks ago because of issues with a single event flag locking me out of the true ending that is obvious now, but while I was trying to brute force it I wound up skipping it the few times I needed it.
It's the ice-9 conversation in the freezer
But anyways, I've finally made it through 999 and the ending made up for all the bad blood the game had accrued over the couple of months I've been pecking away at this. The twist was amazing and the writing was a lot better than I expected going off the previous sections of the game. It hit all the right notes and left me excited to be able to hop right into the sequel.

just make sure to play the Vita version of the sequel.

just make sure to play the Vita version of the sequel.
Picked up a copy after I got off work. Going to be playing off my PSTV.

Attachments

• 20160423_201117.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 559
I didn't think it was possible for any one character in the series to have cornier jokes than Junpei. Then I met Phi...
On the plus side Sigma says what I'm thinking so it all balances out.

at least junpei's jokes were usually in his head

his ladder routine is legendary

I didn't think it was possible for any one character in the series to have cornier jokes than Junpei. Then I met Phi...
On the plus side Sigma says what I'm thinking so it all balances out.
did you get to the best scene with K?