• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

4K / 2K Resolution for the game

Wenzel

Reaction score
Website
www.twitch.tv
Steam
Wenzeln
PSN
Wenzeln
Ms. Fortune Cerebella Big Band
Hi!

Me has many of you love this game so much, we are in the 10th Anniversary in think would be could for the a visual update for the characters sprite for 4K/2K resolution, SG its a old game that have beautiful sprite work that I thing would benefict in the long run if we had the option of those resolutions, they are pretty standard its current gen.

Thank you!

I know its more easy to ask for stuff that doing, probably its a monumental task !

That would mean redrawing every single frame of animation in the game at thrice the resolution (they are currently drawn at 1440 and halved). Each character is at a 1000+ frames of animation. Not to mention every other asset that would need to be improved (stages and their NPCs, talk sprites and CGs for story mode).

Yeah, that's the problem with hand drawn animation. It's not gonna happen. The closest thing that's been discussed is allowing people to use the full resolution sprites, but even that has been refused several times before.

As Shnarfl said, the sprites in this game are already drawn at a much higher resolution than they are used in-game. It's just a matter of them needing to re-generate the files with a higher resolution. The problem is rendering those larger sprites and having to store them in memory when running the game. This will disproportionately affect people with lower spec machines. Modern computers/consoles aren't really optimised for displaying high-resolution 2D sprites in the same way as they are 3D graphics, so it's a lot more demanding than you might think.

We've already had an update a few years back with higher resolution UI so it's definitely something the devs take into account, but I think increasing character sprite sizes is just going to cause too much potential issues and would be a lot of work. Maybe for a major update or a sequel that could happen.

Reactions: Wenzel