• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

A Case For Single Player

Nuuance

Level 51 Pastrymancer
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Steam
Nuuance
Squigly Eliza
It’s no secret fighting games aren’t the most friendly towards single player content, nor has it ever really been a focus or major point of contention — until now.

certain aspects of fighting games (or any game for that matter) will always be challenging or take straight up time to master…that won’t change. But it’s repeatedly entered my mind while playing other games that the nature of showing **how** to play needs to change. Again, not because it’s untenable right now, but I think there’s Much BETTER ways to implement this type of content while making it FUN & Memorable. And equally important, something beginners and intermediate/experts alike can enjoy regardless of skill level.

EDIT: I read or saw somewhere yesterday july8th (cant remember for life of me) GG Strive is looking into mini games in some way...i dont think its a coincidence in terms of thought processes.

Break the targets
Figure1:
Figure 2:

something like this, a set of defined trials with targets you set a record for & just as well, a randomly generated one to keep it fresh. Perhaps even adding multi-leveled platforms to a single stage (a la smash bros). Like think about Annie crossing a big gap w/j.mk or even using H knuckle to cross it; encouraging organic thinking about the utility of certain moves. There’s a lot that could be done without needing many more assets.

Additionally, many beginners with pokes or people learning new characters have trouble practicing sometimes dependably without going into qm. Giving a score on how well you poked on average based on hitbox overlap would be sick.

after playing megaman x & incorporating that into my warmup routine I realized the reason it helped so much was because I was paying attention to movement & jump arcs more closely. If framed more in a platforming style, I’m sure it’d help people feel more comfortable internalizing movement

Figure 3: Street Fighter Bonus Stages

with each of the different characters I feel like this (with the salty truck in the bridge stage) or something comparable would be super fun. Like a nice thing to do while waiting for matches or an [option] to have it happen (like test your might) every 20-30 or matches (again while waiting to match) as a nice thing to break up pacing. Or even being able to do it with a partner!

kirby Samurai Showdown MiniGame
figure 4:

Testing reactions and being able to repeatedly work on that through playing platformers has helped me a tremendous amount with confirms. A mode like this where its Very simple: whoever inputs super first wins. Period. Being able to do with real people would be super fun.

Overall, this is just the beginning of my thoughts on this subject, but my main philosophy is I know without a doubt, if some thought was put into some fun mini games leveraging basic fundamentals, it’d help 1) beginners learn faster or anyone learning a new character 2) not get as frustrated by feeling they have to hop into qm off jump 3) really nice thing for warming up without having to play as many games. Or getting out pre-tournament jitters 4) break from QM &/or ‘cool down’ before ending a session.

there’s many other ideas I have and seen in other games to help teach other fundamentals & perhaps I’ll share soon, but wanted to put this in the air because I think it’s time out for ‘it’s good enough.’ Skullgirls got a lotta chops from the fact it was so progressive from the start. For example, Simplified inputs SG did first on the whole. There’s work already being done for other stuff so no rush…BUT it would be sad to see SG stop innovating as Strive & Them’s Fighting Herds has done. They haven’t been afraid to try new things. It’s time for a paradigm shift on how people view single-player content

if you have any cool ideas or seen mini games/tutorials from any other IPs deemed useful, please please share them

Last edited:
I've always had a soft spot for ArcSys's goofy RPG modes, Abyss and Golden Arena were my jam. Sad they stopped doing them. I think there's a lot of potential to do something that adapts some ideas from SG Mobile (minus the gacha or invincible fullscreen unblockables please) to appeal to that audience.

Probably well outside the scope of this season pass though, what I'm picturing for this would almost surely be a lot of work.

Reactions: BellaFeng4Eternity
I've always had a soft spot for ArcSys's goofy RPG modes, Abyss and Golden Arena were my jam. Sad they stopped doing them. I think there's a lot of potential to do something that adapts some ideas from SG Mobile (minus the gacha or invincible fullscreen unblockables please) to appeal to that audience.

Probably well outside the scope of this season pass though, what I'm picturing for this would almost surely be a lot of work.
yeah same. story mode one of the main culprits I feel branching paths would be cool for, adapting sgmobile. similar to GGXX. And yeah everything is work, totally dont treat the things they do lightly. Work is a given & im more than happy to pay for addition DLC or crowdfunding...doesnt matter. Will put my money to work, but dont want that to make anyone hesitant about bringing something up. Otherwise might be hard to talk about much of anything lol. Like earlier, no rush is a given if/when considered :) Great idea

edit: what couple things about abyss mode did you like a lot? unfortunately been a long time since booting up BB.
What comes to mind is maybe using points to 'pay' for extra palettes...or unique loading screens? honestly dont know but rpg aspects like modifying move properties could be cool

Last edited:
So this popped recently. Maybe something more for SG2 or Super mega Central Fiction Fighterz 4 millionth encore edition, but something to just think about. like contracting more backgrounds for the extra stuff (fyi coming to pc but no one knows if US yet. probably so if people are vocal)

Last edited: