• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

A Pasta Trying To Git Gud

Ravioli

Filia Fukua and a Gundam
Reaction score
Steam
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198064302785/
Filia Fukua Robo Fortune
Hi friends! My name is Ravioli, and recently I've dedicated myself to getting good at this game. After a good experience with the EU community I'm going to do my best to actually get somewhere in this game. i used to play Parasoul/Squigly but after a lot of thinking I dropped Squigly for Filia.

Current Goals:
-Learn Filia
-Learn a third character to round out a trio
-STOP DROPPING COMBOS

Definition of "Gud": Consistently get top 8 in tournaments (Eurofight for example)

Personally I already know that I need to learn more resets on Filia. Second I need to actually use some reversals on Parasoul, something I use very sparingly since I'm always scared of using the flash kick move.

Here's a game I played today. Other than the high amount of combos I dropped I think I did pretty okay. Thoughts? Help?

Reactions: 4th
Here's a game I played today. Other than the high amount of combos I dropped I think I did pretty okay. Thoughts? Help?
Well, the first mistake you made here was this paragraph. It's hard to give advice when the only questions are "Thoughts?" and "Help?" It's easier to give advice when the questions are more focused, like "I had trouble dealing with X in this set, what can I do about that?" That said there were some things I noticed that may help. Keep in mind this set is the only time I've seen you play so if I jump to conclusions based on watching this small sampling size of your total matches, my bad. Anyways here's my tipz:

Try not to jump when calling your Updo assist. This is bad for a couple reasons. One, it makes it harder to convert off the assist if it hits. Two, you open yourself up to the possibility of getting hit low and letting them get both of your characters in a combo. Calling a DP assist is always a big risk, so usually you want to block low while you're calling it and try to react to any overheads. You can still get thrown if you're doing that, but a throw isn't going to hit both characters so it's not as big of a risk. Anyways, you definitely don't want to be be calling your assist while jumping around like this.

As far as your Parasoul assist goes, tear shot is really just for neutral and for offense. You don't want to be calling it with your own back to the corner when you're getting rushed down. This is actually sort of hard to get used to since you have to completely change your instincts of when to call assist if your team is in the other order. Playing the team in reverse order sometimes may help with this.

Be careful about calling your assist when they're low on health. Keep in mind, even if the assist doesn't get hit, this can still cost your assist health, since characters in the back stop recovering red health for several seconds every time they're called as assists. Try to just stall when in this situation until your assist gets their health back. Both your characters are good at this. Filia has really good runaway with her air dashes and with L Airball to get to the top of the screen and get out of the corner. Parasoul can create a wall with jump back j.HP, s.LP, and tears to prevent the opponent from getting in. You probably won't get a lot of hits this way, but neither will your opponent, so it can be effective when you have a lot of red health you want to get back.

Try not to use Filia c.MK for hit confirms. This is like a super "kill me" button if the opponent can PBGC. It's also very negative even without pushblock so if you don't have your assist available they can just straight up punish it. I'd recommend using either s.MP or s.MK for confirms.

You already mentioned dropping combos but there were a few common causes of drops that came up multiple times that you should pay more attention to:
-If you've used your OTG. Several times you drop combos because you tried to hit them OTG when you had already used your once-per-combo OTG. Literally everyone who plays this game messes this up sometimes so I wouldn't feel too bad about it, but try to make a note "hey I've used my OTG, I can't do the normal combo" when it comes up.
-You ran out of undizzy. From watching you play it looks like you practice combos by setting the undizzy to 0 (the default value) and letting it run all the way back to 0 before practicing another combo. This is a reset heavy game though and they're not always going to have 0 undizzy. When you practice combos, you should also practice things like short combo > reset into short combo > reset into 2 chain combo into super into DHC. This is a really common scenario in this game and it's good to know how much undizzy you have to work with.

Reactions: Ravioli and 4th
I'm going to reiterate that i think you should work on your confirms. I also think it would be helpful for you learn about damage scaling. You seemed to go for the lowest damage starters possible with your characters and it'll be better to get rid of that muscle memory before it becomes ingrained.

I saw you doing s.lk x2, s.mk x2 as a confirm for Parasoul, and Filia cr.mk. Both of those have far too many hits for next to no damage and will make the rest of your combo just tickle your opponent. Try getting used to cr.lk, cr.mk as Parasoul and cr.lk, st.mk as Filia.

Here's a great video to further explain:

Reactions: Ravioli
Snip

That's a good point in that I should ask for specifics. Next time I post a video I'll ask for these questions for sure.

I'm actively trying to remove my habit of c.mk but my brain always thinks of the range. But Icky's post also just further cements the fact that I really need to get rid of the habit.

I practice my combos as full combos as if I was going for a kill, and then practice resets separately. It never occurred to me to practice it as a "kill a character from full health" resets and all type of deal; now that I think about it it's the way smarter way of practicing!

All of your other advice is great too. Thanks a billion, keeping Filia safe is something I have a lot of trouble with so I'll stop jumping during it and see if it helps.

Snip Snip

I've never seen that video before, and it definitely helped me understand the mechanic. I never really thought the number of hits mattered all that much. And you can't go for a heavy punish every time can you? So clearly standing HP is a great follow up after a burst bait for example, but unless the enemy updos or beat extends you can't always punish with hp. But for sure I need to remove my habit of c.mk on Filia and on Parasoul I have to remember crouching normals exist.

Again, thank you a billion. Next time I have a set I feel is worth sharing, or when I have a doubt I'll post so please stick around for the pasta.

Reactions: mcpeanuts
snip
You are correct, most of the time you'll be starting combos with a throw or a light and it's only really for punishes on super unsafe moves that you'll be starting with a heavy. It's mostly about being conscious of the chains that you're starting with, try to do as few lights and mediums as possible at the start. Like I said, simply crlk, cr.mk is a great confirm for Parasoul and cr.lk, st.mk is great for Filia!

something i want to point out about filia c.mk:

for the most part what peanuts and icky said was right: c.mk scales your combo HORRIBLY on hit, it's extremely vulnerable to pbgc, and even without pbgc it's unsafe as hell on its own. however, filia c.lk pushes the opponent away on hit/block, and s.mk barely moves her forward, so there are a great deal of ranges where c.lk s.mk will either not connect or will not let you follow up with a combo. The main benefit of c.mk is that it pulls the opponent in; a common confirm string I use is c.lk c.mk (1 hit) s.hp as it's safe (-4 after the s.hp) on block, leads to a combo at all ranges of c.lk, and is more or less pbgc safe (the main thing to watch out for is vs chars like val/filia who have reversals that move them forwards quickly they can punish the c.mk that whiffs if they pb the c.lk perfectly but its hard to do). The other option, and one that is becoming more popular, is c.lk s.mp c.mk (1 hit) s.hp; it scales your combo by an extra hit but once you can confirm off 2 hits then c.lk s.mp is a very long ranged confirm that's plus on block, and you can pull them in with the 1 hit of c.mk and get your combo after if the c.lk s.mp hits them. In general though I would be careful about using s.mk, it's ok if you know your ranges well but it's usually better/safer to do either c.lk c.mk (1hit) s.hp, or c.lk s.mp if you're really worried about them being able to pbgc perfectly (fwiw I dont think i've ever been pbgc punished for doing c.lk c.mk (1hit) s.hp as my blockstring even against good players)

Samson

Ok that's actually really cool. I need to start trying that. I enjoy the range of c.mk and that's why I use it. So starting to use s.mp instead for poking and c.mk to convert is a really cool idea. I'll need to practice that.

Next up though, is there a meterless way to convert off hairball when not in the corner? I find that I can punish certain moves (Robo Laser for example) with hairball and I'd like to combo off. Samson is the only way right?

gregor is basically the way to do it yeah. though tbh it's much more common to see ringlet spike used for that purpose since it can have longer range in the case of H ringlet, as well as low profiling many common projectiles. H ringlet -> gregor is a really strong tool in parasoul and BB matchups in particular, but I can definitely see it being useful vs robo as well. vs robo though I usually prefer to dashblock or look for IAD/airball opportunities to approach. if you read a M or H laser though H ringlet will definitely be useful

Hey! So things have changed since my last post. I worked hard, and now I think have a "real" Filia. I went to DF3 where I got the chance to play the game a bunch but playing on at the time retail hindered me a lot I think. I was always confused on what would work and what wouldn't on Parasoul. But at the same time I think I learned some neat things on Filia! I haven't gotten rid of certain habits I still overuse c.mk and hairball in strings. Hairball in strings tends to be a mistake of input but sometimes I just don't realize I'm not hitting the main character.

But today I wanted to specifically ask for advice on Fukua! I've decided Fukua will be my third character either in a team of trios or just to switch it up when I play doubles. I've labbed with her before but today was my first day taking her "seriously seriously". I have a bnb combo-ish down, with variations and several resets. I don't use all of them and a lot of times not even successfully. But the question I have for today other than general advice:
What is a good snap combo on Fukua? During the match I managed to snap out double and I just did a string of kicks iinto launcher into j.hp h.hk. It's clearly not optimal since I wasn't dealing any damage. Is there something I haven't discovered yet?

Here is a match against Mandarinen. It's very very long. I start by playing Fukua/Filia, later on I switch to Parasoul/Filia and then at the end go back to Fukua/Filia. I think the first few matches are the most worth to watch since the more it goes on the worse I play I feel.

Crazy long time since I lasted posted. A lot of things happened, a lot of things changed. I've sort of mastered Fukua. Not mastered obviously, but I feel very comfortable with her have some tech under my belt and have ways to learn more. I enjoy her a lot! Fuk/Fil is very fun, but I started messing with trios and it's quite a bit of fun. Theoretically I've achieved the goal I originally set out for myself. I wanted to consistently reach Top 8 in tournaments, and while at offlines I usually only get 9th, last month and this month I got 7th in EUfight. That means quite a bit too me! But more importantly I'm having a character crisis. Kind of.

Last EUfight I played Fuk/Fil/Bella and it was fun. But then during last month I stopped having fun with Bella, and so I tried Band. He isn't fun, he isn't exactly my type of character but he's strong. Filia with Beat Extend is really strong. But I'm still not sure if I want to keep her. I think I still have a bit of character searching to do, I for sure love Fukua/Filia. I want to maximize my strengths with these characters, but I'd like to find a third character I enjoy just as much. My current ideas:

HDrill/Hairball/Beat Extend (Also interchangeable to HDrill/Updo/Brass, I played this for some match ups during EUFight)

HDrill/Updo/LnL.

Alternatively, I could play Fukua as an anchor and find a new point character. I'm not sure how much I want to do this because I enjoy Fukua point quite a bit, and points seem very... "Genius" characters. I joke that only geniuses can play Parasoul, but I really feel that is true and that character is insane.

LShot/Updo/HDrill

Fiber/Updo/HDrill

THis should be my next goal, find the perfect Ravioli Team.