• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

About story mode

Joacgroso

Reaction score
Steam
https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198377039353/
Parasoul
Before the game changed its managment, the devs had said they wanted to make a canon, unifying story mode, but that in order to do that they needed Umbrella, Marie and Black Dahlia as playable characters.

Does this still stand? What are the new dev's thoughts on a canon story mode?

Not a dev, but as you said, it was previously said that the 3 characters would be required for the true story mode (a.k.a. the Nightmare Legacy). Given the first character we got for a long time was Annie who has nothing to do with it, seems to indicate that it's not that high of a priority, although we did get Umbrella as the second character.

I think it is entirely possible that the Nightmare Legacy would be implemented in a completely different way than it was originally planned, if at all, given the change in the general situation surrounding the game. I doubt it's something the devs are willing or able to confirm at this point, since their primary priority now is likely to deliver the Season Pass characters on schedule and getting the patches out for all supported platforms.

The next 2 characters chosen could be a good signal for how they are looking to go with this. But then again, even if Dahlia and Marie were chosen, it might not mean anything at all. They are pretty popular characters on their own regardless of inclusion in the canon story.

Reactions: Holy Goose
Just putting out there that Cellsai has publicly stated many times that the plans for the "canon story mode" have changed since that was confirmed (like, 11 years ago now?) and that such a story mode does not confirm nor deny Dahlia or Marie's inclusion as characters for Season 1.

...but also Umbrella was revealed as character 2 so, maybe! Just don't get your hopes up is all.

I don't want to put words in Cell's mouth, but the way I read the statement, he didn't confirm or deny that the Nightmare Legacy will be a certain way or another. It's just that the existence of the true story mode or lack thereof has little bearing on which characters will make it into the game.

Anyway here's what he said so everyone can read for themselves lol.

cell.png

I mean, they can always make a canon story mode without those characters. That was my main question. Also, do the current devs even know what was supposed to happen in true story mode? If not, needing those 3 characters makes no sense.
The other ex-LZ devs did mention a long time ago back during the streams that Alex used to discuss with them about things that would happen in the story (that they can't share with the public obviously) and I'd think that the current teams have inherited works that Alex had done on the lore side of things.

Not knowing how important the 3 characters are supposed to be, it's hard to say if any of them can be left out. (I'd think Umbrella is the most important one, and she's made it in now, so that's a relief.) Honestly, the real concern I think isn't even which characters would be needed to do the canon story but whether the devs have any plan in the foreseeable future to do the canon story at all.

This new batch of characters and the story modes that go with them are probably being chosen from a gameplay-first perspective. Unlike the Indiegogo characters voted in by fans, these new characters are picked with high DLC sales expectations. What will get fighting game fans to buy? Please established fans or try to grab new players? Lots of tough decisions.

The business aspect is only partial though! HVS and FC are fans too, so some kind of satisfying story should still be part of the calculation.

For me, Marie, THE Skullgirl, is essential for a canon story. We got to know what happens to her, and thus know what happens to everyone else before we go towards Skullgirls 2 (someday, lol).

I don't want to put words in Cell's mouth, but the way I read the statement, he didn't confirm or deny that the Nightmare Legacy will be a certain way or another. It's just that the existence of the true story mode or lack thereof has little bearing on which characters will make it into the game.

Anyway here's what he said so everyone can read for themselves lol.

View attachment 15665
Oh, yeah I was just paraphrasing from what I remember him saying in that message. Thx for linking tho, couldn't seem to find it again when I looked.
For me, Marie, THE Skullgirl, is essential for a canon story. We got to know what happens to her, and thus know what happens to everyone else before we go towards Skullgirls 2 (someday, lol).
Yeah I mean we know bits and pieces about her life in the orphanage up to her being a Skullgirl, but besides that she's a mystery. Would be nice to add her and get some of that delicious lore but like you said, tough decisions no matter what.

The business aspect is only partial though! HVS and FC are fans too, so some kind of satisfying story should still be part of the calculation.
Yeah I think this is the key part. Whatever way the canon story is implemented I'm sure it would be made in a way that respects the original intent of the story. I just hope that the business side of things can justify it being made lol.

Before the game changed its managment, the devs had said they wanted to make a canon, unifying story mode, but that in order to do that they needed Umbrella, Marie and Black Dahlia as playable characters.
I’m hoping that if we WERE to get something like that, it would be a separate game mode. I’m probably asking for a bit much, but having a long story mode with chapters and stuff would be super neat. I’d love to see something like that considering the Skullgirls story mode is one of the few fighting game story modes i’ve cared about.

I’m hoping that if we WERE to get something like that, it would be a separate game mode. I’m probably asking for a bit much, but having a long story mode with chapters and stuff would be super neat. I’d love to see something like that considering the Skullgirls story mode is one of the few fighting game story modes i’ve cared about.
Originally, it was supposed to be completely separate.
Things might have changed, of course. But it still makes sense to make True Story Mode like that, so they'll probably wouldn't rethink this decision.