• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

PS4 Analog Drops Quarter Circles

Fumako

Jimbob
Reaction score
Steam
Fumako
PSN
Fumako
Big Band Peacock
So I've decided to play some skullgirls on ps4 and I've run into some problems considering the fact that I play using the analog stick rather than the d-pad.
Whenever I do a QC it often doesn't come-out. It's not like I'm doing it fast or anything, it's just regular speed. I often have to REALLY slow down the motion to have it come out which causes problems with combo timings and neutral.
I also don't want to come out as whiney but I feel like the analog needs a lot more dead-zone to it. It's really easy to accidentally switch from forward/back/down into a diagonal. I also think it contributes to my QC problem? I mostly do them as a half-circle. It feels like most of the analog are diagonals and that the areas for hitting the cardinals are incredibly narrow.
I went and tested it out in training room, contrary to my belief straight-down is actually what's actually being dropped.

Another problem I've found is that negative edge is really crazy on the ps4.
So, I'm doing this string: 1lk 1mk 5hp
As the notation says I hold down-back as I do it, then I simply get my thumb off the stick to return it to neutral for the st.hp. Sometimes I see H Brass come-out instead of st.hp which is really annoying. As far as I remember these are only issues that I've encountered on the ps4 and not with the ps3. (I can't recreate it in training room, but it's happened to me multiple times during arcade)

I'm hoping that something could be done to address this in the lobby patch? I'm hoping because I also have GG-Xrd and Injustice on my ps4 and I haven't encountered any of these problems on said games. In fact, I do my QCs a lot faster in GG and they still work. So I put two and two together and I've come to the conclusion that maybe it's a software thing?
@Mike_Z (Oh god, I'm sorry if I'm bothering you with something nonsensical)

These are probably deadzone related.
As the notation says I hold down-back as I do it, then I simply get my thumb off the stick to return it to neutral for the st.hp. Sometimes I see H Brass come-out instead of st.hp which is really annoying.
This is DEFINITELY deadzone related, it's reading a forward in there.

Remind me about this when I ask for stuff to do in the lobby patch, please!

Reactions: gluemchen
I complained about it when we first transitioned to the PS4, cause it was SUPER noticeable. As far as I believed, the probably was because the d-pad strips are longer than PS3 and your finger skirting along from a direction to another would miss hitting downback.
2486488-6628399450-d-pad.jpg
278ff8f414fb24dcb7c5698ad934d216f2498703.jpg
As far as getting a forward when you let go, that's happen to me a few times more than I'd like, for example doing down back grab and getting Tumble Run or Pummel Horse. I thought it was just me being sloppy.