• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Are we getting a canon story?

Kitsuziza

Reaction score
Steam
Illiad
Valentine Peacock
So we are winding down to the point were updates on Skullgirls will cease and with no announcement that Skullgirls is going to continue in any fashion my question is will we be getting a canon story?

Now a lot of people have talked about interest in seeing a comic and while that would be cool I would be happy enough a short story written by Alex Ahad. I don't care how we get it or in what fashion but I think it would be a shame if we never got to see how skullgirls was meant to end.

What do you guys think if the franchise is over do you think we should get a canon story?

Last edited:
It seems to me that Ahad as other projects outside Skullgirls, and if there will be enough money maaaaaaybe we get Skullgirls2. I don't think we'll see the canon story soon. It may take years. Leaving it completely would be a waste.

The word is canon btw.

They would need to find a new publisher right? I just think at the very least we could get a story write up on skullheart.

There's something floating around that getting the complete canon would've required Umbrella, Black Dahlia, and Marie making it onto the character roster.

Now, for a cannon story mode, just play through Peacock's with lots of standing HP.

Plot Twist: Robo Fortune's story mode takes place in the Canon reality and is thus the most Canon.

Female canines love Cannons.

Plot Twist: Fukua's story mode takes place in the Canon reality and is thus the most Canon.

There's something floating around that getting the complete canon would've required Umbrella, Black Dahlia, and Marie making it onto the character roster.
Close enough, it's actually Annie.

They would need to find a new publisher right?
No. if another publisher wanted to fund further development of the game/sequel, they would first have to buy the IP rights from Autumn Games first. Unless someone wanted to fund it and a portion of the profits goes to Autumn anyway, which is very very unlikely and a poor decision as far as investing.

Lab Zero does not own the IP.

Would you guys be ok with just a written story by alex ahad?

Would you guys be ok with just a written story by alex ahad?

Stories are nice. I like stories. Though, preferably something Skullgirls related, as technically he could ramble about going grocery shopping and it would be "a written story by Alex Ahad." :)

Reactions: Kittens
If we couldn't get shit else, then fuck yeah I'd love a story. I don't care if Ahad wrote on the back of a cereal box, as long as I know EVERYTHING. I think SG has the most compelling story among the popular FGs today. It trumps Blazblue in my opinion...I dunno about Guilty Gear...perhaps it is on the same level. lol I just love GG's story.

Last edited:
To be fair I don't even think Blazblue fans understand the story

Yeah, it has that time paradox thing goin' on...it can be a bit of a mind boggler at times.

Sure I'd be ok with a written story or visual novel how he mentioned he wanted to do it at one point. I just need to know what happens

Sure I'd be ok with a written story or visual novel how he mentioned he wanted to do it at one point. I just need to know what happens

With a visual novel he could probably reuse a lot of the art that skullgirls already has.

With a visual novel he could probably reuse a lot of the art that skullgirls already has.

Most definitely. I uh kinda messed up though. I meant to say in novel form with visuals not sure if same thing lol

A Graphic Novel?

Most likely. Just describing it the way he did in one of the backer interviews where he said it would be text with pictures here and there. Honestly I didn't want to type all that out just wanted to be lazy

I think for the canon story, instead of pressing the mugshot for a single character, I'd rather have a collective story mode where I'd play as many characters. Who knows how Ahad would do it?

Reactions: ACreationist
Personally I wouldn't want to see the canon story being told in any other format than the storymode of a fighting game. From what I know, Alex had always insisted that Skullgirls was written to be a fighting game. He and the team worked for years to have it turned into a retail game that far exceeds even his original expectation of what the game could have turned out (if you read the Skullgirls interview from 2006, they were expecting it to be a one-year effort that would have been sold as a doujin fighter at some anime conventions). I don't see why they should give up now that they've got this far. I'd like to know the conclusion of the story as much as the next SG lore geek but if it's gonna be done, I'd rather it be done properly.

Personally I wouldn't want to see the canon story being told in any other format than the storymode of a fighting game. From what I know, Alex had always insisted that Skullgirls was written to be a fighting game. He and the team worked for years to have it turned into a retail game that far exceeds even his original expectation of what the game could have turned out (if you read the Skullgirls interview from 2006, they were expecting it to be a one-year effort that would have been sold as a doujin fighter at some anime conventions). I don't see why they should give up now that they've got this far. I'd like to know the conclusion of the story as much as the next SG lore geek but if it's gonna be done, I'd rather it be done properly.

I understand what your saying a I think your right. I think the story should be told in the manner Alex Ahad envisioned but if that is not possible I still think the story should be told. Would you not agree it's better to have something then nothing at all?

I understand what your saying a I think your right. I think the story should be told in the manner Alex Ahad envisioned but if that is not possible I still think the story should be told. Would you not agree it's better to have something then nothing at all?
I completely agree, but I don't think the outlook for Skullgirls is as bleak as a lot of the team tend to make it out to be, so at this point I don't think they should consider having to resort to that yet.

Although maybe if you ask me again in 2-3 years I would have changed my mind if interest in the game has lost momentum. :P

Considering that everyone has their own storylines all focused around finding and defeating Marie, that means that there are multiple endings to the Skullgirls universe, based on who gets to the Catacombs first, who is defeated and what the victor uses the Skull Heart for (destroys it, uses it, etc.). Fukua however, is not counted since all she is a joke character who has no relevance to the overall plot of Skullgirls. This would mean that all the different universes in which a different character wins/loses are simply alternate universes (examples: Peacock goes in one universe to destroy the Skull Heart by herself, and in another, she joins up with Big Band to destroy it). As far as I know, there is no canon storyline as of now.

Here's a thought:
  • In some of the initial planning, wasn't it proposed that all the characters would have a "super mode" where they turn big and nasty?
  • The name of the game is Skullgirls, yet there's really only the one. Three, tops, if you count ones relevant to backstory.
  • Almost every character has potential to become a Skullgirl
  • The lore already contains a multiverse/time travel/goddesses of time and space
Idea: We're actually playing a prequel to an Infinite Crisis style multiversal clash of possibilities. Everything, then, is canon-ish. "Prime Time" is the Dahlia/Umbrella/Marie thing that's not released, but pretty much all the alternates could end up showing up.

This can also lead to a hilariously awkward Fortune/Bella/Eliza team up.

> "Hey, you killed me! And you tied me up to feed on me and take over the city!"

> "Yeah... well... she killed me, too! And then waged cruel war on my entire family!"

> "Girls, girls, let's not bicker and argue over who killed who..."

[Edit] And then, after the conflict matures into Skull Women, we can have a big cast reunion for Skull Grannies! :PUN:

Last edited:
Skull Grannies!
IIDpLdK.png
nM5pULA.png
IIDpLdK.png
nM5pULA.png
IIDpLdK.png
nM5pULA.png

nM5pULA.png
IIDpLdK.png
nM5pULA.png
IIDpLdK.png
nM5pULA.png
IIDpLdK.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope we get a cannon story soon. I want to know if Umbrella makes a wish. I want to know if Nadia saves the fish women. I want to know if Marie lives. Is Double the Mother? Will Carol be normal again? Will Samson and Leviathan finally kiss?!

I hope we get a cannon story soon. I want to know if Umbrella makes a wish. I want to know if Nadia saves the fish women. I want to know if Marie lives. Is Double the Mother? Will Carol be normal again? Will Samson and Leviathan finally kiss?!
WILL UMBRELLA MAKE A WISH?
WILL MINETTE BE RESCUED?
WHEN WILL ANNIE BE?

FIND OUT ON THE NEXT SKULLGIRLS

I don't know, i mean, you can tell, "they will come back to skullgirls later", but this game, it seems that they are done with it, they are working on a new game, maybe they will do skullgirls 2 in the future, but that will take years.

While is the thing that i want most on skullgirls is the canon story, i don't think that will happen, but i would be happy with a text, a comic book, a visual novel, or just someone saying in a interview or in a blog page: "hey, this is what happens".

Reactions: The Dave
I hope we get a cannon story soon. I want to know if Umbrella makes a wish.
Umbrella would probably just wish for ice cream

While is the thing that i want most on skullgirls is the canon story, i don't think that will happen, but i would be happy with a text, a comic book, a visual novel, or just someone saying in a interview or in a blog page: "hey, this is what happens".

That would be nice. I just want to know what happens officially. I know that Doubles ending says that any ending is possible but it'll just give me expectations that may never be met.

"Are we getting a canon story?"

Lab Zero themselves expressed intent to return to it after Indivisible.
That pretty much confirms it in my book.

"Are we getting a canon story?"

Lab Zero themselves expressed intent to return to it after Indivisible.
That pretty much confirms it in my book.
yeaaaaah

I don't think we should put that in the, "confirmed," column. How about we file that away as, "hopeful."

The joys of capitalism. If your publisher doesn't like what you're doing, you get no funding. :(

...if said publisher is Konami -- that is.

Reactions: Kit Ballard