• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Asian Characters

*new member*
*first post was an Asian thread*

I smell a weeb.

Calling @Nevins to request a look over of this thread to see if it's reverent to the Skullgirls disscusion, or if it's getting off track.

Yeah, it might be a very very new person or a troll, either way, this thread should get checked.

I personally think it just needs to get back a little on topic, asking if a random character from another game is Asian that has nothing to do with Skullgirls without any context is a bit odd.

The topic is pretty much "are there any Asian characters in Skullgirls"
So why then post a random character and asking if they're Asian without it relating to the topic?

She looks anime, and considering anime she could be any handful of ethnicities...
But since it's anime and I have no clue to which series she belongs she defaults as Japanese to me until proven otherwise.

I would like to raise a question I wish I had asked before:
What is the relevance of this discussion anyways...?
I'm guessing you just want to know if there are any asian characters?

Yes, I just wanted to know if SkullGirls had any playable Asian characters.

Some users mentioned that they can tell whether or not a character is Asian just by looking at them, so I posted that picture.

Honestly I don't see why you you want to play an Asian character so bad or why you want to know if there's a playable Asian character. Ethnicity doesn't really matter when it comes to Skullgirls.

I don't play Cerebella because she's Brazilian

I play her because she's a fun design, fun to play, and I like her as a character

and waifu

I didn't really pick her cause I wanted to play a Brazilian. Once again I'm not being rude but there's no need to make a big deal and ask if there's a playable character that's Asian.

Honestly I don't see why you you want to play an Asian character so bad or why you want to know if there's a playable Asian character. Ethnicity doesn't really matter when it comes to Skullgirls.

I don't play Cerebella because she's Brazilian

I play her because she's a fun design, fun to play, and I like her as a character

and waifu

I didn't really pick her cause I wanted to play a Brazilian. Once again I'm not being rude but there's no need to make a big deal and ask if there's a playable character that's Asian.

I understand your point of view. We play this game for different reasons.

I enjoy playing SkullGirls (my main is Double) for the diversity of characters and their backstories.

As a female Euroasian gamer myself, I just wanted to inquire if there were any playable Asian characters. Unfortunately, I am now being attacked/reported and called a "troll" for simply asking a question.

Some of you have said that Valentine is clearly "white", but where is the evidence? The picture I posted further proves that you cannot tell a character's ethnicity just by the art itself.

...Ok I didnt want to be rude and since you were a new member I didn't want to sound rude but now you're kinda being rude yourself.

And if you are just playing a game based on character ethnicity...

Find a different reason to play the game.

This isint a game of ethnicity it's a game of intresting characters.

We're not attack you were just stating the facts that have been said in lore before and you're denying it.

Our point is clear, Vals white, she has the eye shape of a white person, she doesn't look Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Vietmanese, or any other Asian territory.

The problem is you are so caught up on what nationality they are as if it's their defying trait when there are other (and better) reasons to like a character more than simply what they look like.

If you are so bent up on if a character is Asian or not, I'm sorry this is not the game for you. People here simply don't care unless it's for lore or gameplay reasons.

And finally don't go questioning if we've seen an Asian person or not of course we have. We're people too.

Look short and simply @Toxic_Beauty if you read this far was this. You asked a question, we answered your question with facts, but it wasn't the answer you wanted to hear.

Reactions: HeadcrabNinja
...Ok I didnt want to be rude and since you were a new member I didn't want to sound rude but now you're kinda being rude yourself.

And if you are just playing a game based on character ethnicity...

Find a different reason to play the game.

This isint a game of ethnicity it's a game of intresting characters.

We're not attack you were just stating the facts that have been said in lore before and you're denying it.

Our point is clear, Vals white, she has the eye shape of a white person, she doesn't look Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Vietmanese, or any other Asian territory.

The problem is you are so caught up on what nationality they are as if it's their defying trait when there are other (and better) reasons to like a character more than simply what they look like.

If you are so bent up on if a character is Asian or not, I'm sorry this is not the game for you. People here simply don't care unless it's for lore or gameplay reasons.

And finally don't go questioning if we've seen an Asian person or not of course we have. We're people too.

Look short and simply @Toxic_Beauty if you read this far was this. You asked a question, we answered your question with facts, but it wasn't the answer you wanted to hear.

How exactly was my post rude? If anyone is being rude now, it's you.

So, all Asians have slanted eyes? Am I hearing you right?

I'm not crossing into that territory. Sorry.

it was just a question if there were asian characters ya'll need to chill

I'm gonna second this.

It's good to have discussion on what ethnicity character is. Just don't get to the point where people gonna be upset over something small.

My only input in this thread is this.

Most character in this game has red eyes, who has natural red eyes anyway?

latest

Does this character look Asian to you guys?

considering this is Vice from KoF who is based off of Winona Ryder, no.
she does not.

It's actually pretty easy to tell the race of the characters in Skullgirls because of their designs. This is unlike anime where it's very hard to distinguish between white and asians. Remember Skullgirls isn't anime, the style is just influenced by anime. If you ask me the art style looks more like Batman the animated series then it does an anime.

Now the playable characters. I will list out the races of all the playable characters for reference.

Filia- White
Peacock- White
Valentine- White
Parasoul- White
Marie- White (adding her anyways even though she's not technically playable)
Ms Fortune- Latino
Cerebella- Latino/Hispanic (I know everyone likes to say Brazilian but I'm trying not to bring nationalities into this because you can be a white Brazilian)
Double- Can be whatever he/she wants. (I think it's safe to say her nun desguise is white though)
Painwheel- White
Squigly- White
Big Band- Black
Eliza- Arab
Beowulf- White
Robo Fortune- Robot

I hope I got them all right

Last edited:
I appreciate the list.

I don't think Double is really any ethnicity, since she/he can shapeshift.
Double doesn't even have a gender.

oh haha

So, all Asians have slanted eyes? Am I hearing you right?
this is a stylized videogame

Last edited by a moderator:
Double doesn't even have a gender.
I believe Mike Z has confirmed that Double is female.

She at least personally identifies as one, even if she can transform.

Ahad confirmed it too. She's female. It makes sense since the Skullheart accepts females only.

Does hubba bubba double bubble wish on the skullheart in her story mode? I honestly forget.

No, because Double is just a tool of the deities and has no soul or desires.

Reactions: Magma442
Kinda some weird twister "messenger of the gods" sorta deal. Only the message is a skull meant to destroy.

Kinda some weird twister "messenger of the gods" sorta deal. Only the message is a skull meant to destroy.
You ever wonder what the Trinity were thinking?
"Let's create a race of beings!"
"Ok we're bored let's kill them off now."

more like a

I believe Mike Z has confirmed that Double is female.

She at least personally identifies as one, even if she can transform.

Is Double capable of transforming into a male?

I have used her with the male voice pack before, but I am not sure if it is canon.

Is Double capable of transforming into a male?

I have used her with the male voice pack before, but I am not sure if it is canon.
She transforms into a male in Beowulf's story mode.
Also Big Bands, I think.
Yes.

It's actually pretty easy to tell the race of the characters in Skullgirls because of their designs. This is unlike anime where it's very hard to distinguish between white and asians. Remember Skullgirls isn't anime, the style is just influenced by anime. If you ask me the art style looks more like Batman the animated series then it does an anime.

Now the playable characters. I will list out the races of all the playable characters for reference.

Filia- White
Peacock- White
Valentine- White
Parasoul- White
Marie- White (adding her anyways even though she's not technically playable)
Ms Fortune- Latino
Cerebella- Latino/Hispanic (I know everyone likes to say Brazilian but I'm trying not to bring nationalities into this because you can be a white Brazilian)
Double- Can be whatever he/she wants. (I think it's safe to say her nun desguise is white though)
Painwheel- White
Squigly- White
Big Band- Black
Eliza- Arab
Beowulf- White
Robo Fortune- Robot

I hope I got them all right
It was confirmed that one of Squigly's parents is from the Dragon Kingdom.

So she's half Asian.

Guys, you know what this means?
Double is a transgender AND a villain.
Tumblr just NEEDS to hear of this. I can't wait for round two of having Alex be attacked over bullshit.

Wait, what was round 1?

It was confirmed that one of Squigly's parents is from the Dragon Kingdom.

So she's half Asian.
Really? I know in the lore that her family has some ties with the Dragon Kingdom, because that's where Leviathan is from, but I don't remember hearing that one of her parents is from there.

Do you have the link to the place where they said this in the lore thread?
I'll see if I can find it.

That might have been in the pre-release bio for her, which was redone into what we have now and thus no longer canon

That might have been in the pre-release bio for her, which was redone into what we have now and thus no longer canon
That could be why my search has not born fruit.