• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Avatar: The Last Airbender/Legend of Korra

HOLY SHIT, KORRASAMI ACTUALLY HAPPENED. DID NOT SEE THAT COMING. DID NOT THINK THEY WOULD HAVE THE BALLS.
HOLY GODDAMN SHIT.

wow! that ending!

they did the thing! and they kept doing the thing!

there were a lot of things to keep track of.

Welp, time to marathon this thing from Season 2 through Season 4, now that it's over.

Well they did the thing...and it was awesome.

Time to watch all Avatar and Korra again !

*sigh* so much for Korra x Inner Peace

Reactions: Clawsome Bombs
I love how there are still people out there who are all like "oh, this doesn't mean anything, they're just friends guys." That is some serious denial.

How else could they possibly get that,
NbS0tJY.png
If the way the scene was presented, the way it focused on their hands like that, and the way they looked at each other was intended to be interpreted as a platonic relationship between the two, well then they fucked up!

If the way the scene was presented, the way it focused on their hands like that, and the way they looked at each other was intended to be interpreted as a platonic relationship between the two, well then they fucked up!
For a split second I forgot this was a Nickelodeon show and thought they were gonna kiss.

Also love how Tenzin ran at the thought of Varrick borrowing a flight suit. And it made me wonder if that wasn't just Asami making something up to have a moment with Korra (probably not, but so what).

You know all those people who were hating on the design of Kuvira's super weapon? "Oh! It's a bipedal robot! It's the most unstable design possible! All you have to do is knock it over and it can't get back up!" Well... the good guys tried that. They tried to destabilize the ground beneath the robot. They tried to do the Battle of Hoth thing with cables. They threw a building at it. None of those things worked. Yeah, the building took the robot down, but it just got back up. She was a formidible foe.

Point taken.
I appreciate that they tried that at least instead of ignoring a very obvious solution.
That thing still looks super unstable.

I always had the impression that it was rushed to completion in light of the large spirit cannon being destroyed.

tumblr_inline_nguytplRSl1s2atp5.gif

Now, we wait for Kuvira redemption fanfics. If it's anything like Azula redemption attempts, there'll be some damn good shit.

Also, my reaction concerning canon Korrasami:

Last edited:
Reactions: erkicman
Jeez I never realized what a Mary Sue OC Korra was until reading that.

Reactions: Rellek
I will say I am impressed that they had the right mind to be VERY subtle with the korrasami thing. like Oren Pierre Alfonso from Kamen Rider Gaim
being very subtle is sometimes the best way to try to implement a new thing.

Yeah the spirit thing was shit. I waited for the giant spirit Kaiju to show up but nope.

Reactions: Rynozilla
You realize that it's basically the Avatar's job to be a Mary Sue OC for the entire world, right
I'm starting to consider the possibility that the entire Avatar IP isn't as good as I remember.
Things were so much brighter when I was fifteen and stupid.

Mary Sue feels like such a non-criticism nowadays.
I don't even know how to tackle the concept because it can refer to almost any character. Pessimistic, Edgy Sue, optimistic, Pollyanna Sue, underplayed casual, Self-Insert Sue, over-the-top dramatic, Waterworks Sue.

Especially considering how much complaining there was that Korra gets her ass beat too much, now that she's actually won something she's too perfect?

And really no matter how much a "Mary Sue" Korra is, Aang was 20x more Mary Sue-ish than she ever was.

Mary Sue feels like such a non-criticism nowadays.
I don't even know how to tackle the concept because it can refer to almost any character. Pessimistic, Edgy Sue, optimistic, Pollyanna Sue, underplayed casual, Self-Insert Sue, over-the-top dramatic, Waterworks Sue.

Especially considering how much complaining there was that Korra gets her ass beat too much, now that she's actually won something she's too perfect?

And really no matter how much a "Mary Sue" Korra is, Aang was 20x more Mary Sue-ish than she ever was.

Truth. You bring a lot of very solid points.

I'm just glad that it's over, it was getting tiring to listen to people go nuts over something so average.
Now I just need to wait out the few weeks for the hype to die down and I can be at peace.

I mean, we all saw this coming, but I still can't believe that KorraSami is an actual thing.

Not a big fan of korrasami. Feels like a slight cop-out/ poor writing to me. I mean you can go "I didn't think they'd do it!"
But I'm just kinda like "why?" I mean her ending up with someone isn't even really neccessary for anything other than ships ahoy.
That said I thoroughly enjoyed book 4 and thinkdenizens being a shitbird.

Not a big fan of korrasami. Feels like a slight cop-out/ poor writing to me. I mean you can go "I didn't think they'd do it!"
But I'm just kinda like "why?" I mean her ending up with someone isn't even really neccessary for anything other than ships ahoy.
That said I thoroughly enjoyed book 4 and thinkdenizens being a shitbird.
Why? Because they were attracted to each other? They haven't had much alone time and now want that?

If niggas could call that shit from the start of season 3 (I did, no one believed me, go ahead, check about 6 pages back) I don't think it's poor writing, a lot of people probably didn't think they would just go through with it.

Also, Wu summoning the Badger Moles to attack the mecha dudes was the second, maybe third coolest thing in the series.

I feel like the whole KorraAsami thing was spearheaded by fans/shippers and the creators decided to give them that. The only instance I saw KorrAsami was happening or going to happen was when Korra only wrote letters to Asami. Other than that, yeah it felt like a cop-out.

You know what? I watched it again, and without the shock (hype) that I initially felt it's easier to see the end scene as deep friendship and sisterhood as opposed to a bisexual relationship. Not to mention Korra needs to literally handhold Asami into the spirit world as she's never been through a spirit portal before. Each audience member gets to decide for themselves on this one, and that's cool.

That's how I see it^

the fact that implication alone is there at all is itself a pretty powerful thing
You can't really show gay/queer relationships on kids shows at all and just about any implication will get parents shitting their beds (Remember the Adventure Time controversy)
the fact that they are unabashedly implying the bisexual relationship between the two (by mirroring the last scene of the first series, which ended on Aang and Katara, the official couple), is something to be aware of

Arguments can be made for both sides. "The final scene was to show how close of friends they were, and people shouldn't assume that just because they display any sort of affection makes them instantly gay/bi/whatever." "On the other hand, if the first thing that pops into people's heads when they see the ending is 'Woah! They're totally together!' the writers had to have seen that as well, and their decision to keep it strongly implies that it is a thing." The point is, though, that people are going to see it differently. And while it doesn't hurt to believe what you want, it just kind of bugs me when people go around saying "They made a bisexual/homosexual couple in an animated show! This is a big deal!" Especially since we don't actually know, and probably will never know, if it's actually canon or not. The possibility that they really are a couple is undeniably there (and I guess that does deserve some attention), but it's also totally possible that they honestly meant to keep them as just good friends. I don't mind either way, but at this point I'm just annoyed that the series ended and the only thing (most) people can talk about is Shipping.
I personally enjoyed the finale. The action was great (as always. Seriously, I love the action in the Avatar series!), the characters were fun to watch, and everything had this grand feel to it. There were a good number of things that were predictable. Varrick proposing to Zhu Li, Wu proving he could be a good leader, and also him deciding to do away with the monarchy. But while they were predictable, they were done pretty well. It was awesome how Wu could control the Badger Moles, and Varrick's proposal was so hilarious and in-character that I couldn't see it being done any other way. Though, I will say that there were some things that felt a bit... meh. Like when Mako destroyed the Spirit Vines. It would have been pretty interesting if he did actually sacrifice himself, but everyone knew he wouldn't actually die, so... meh. And when the spirits came back when the new spirit portal was opened. Ok, that was less meh, and more "WTF? Everything is suddenly ok between Spirits and Humans again?" I also feel that the finale should have been a 4-parter like in Last Airbender. The very end felt really rushed. Like there should have been more, but they didn't have the time to go over them. When I really think about the story, I kinda feel like it really wasn't anything special. The story throughout the series really isn't that great. But the characters were still fun to watch and stayed interesting all the way up to the end. And I gotta say, I wouldn't mind a comic series of Asami and Korra traveling through the Spirit World. A lot of potential there, I think.

Everyone can go on for days about the Korrasami if they want. I'm just super happy Verrick did the thing! Xu Li is probably my fav character aside from Toph so it makes my day. Anyways, unpopular opinion, away!

You can't really show gay/queer relationships on kids shows at all and just about any implication will get parents shitting their beds (Remember the Adventure Time controversy)

It's more that
it's illegal to show in some countries that the show airs in, the first to come to mind is Russia, but there's a good handful.

As for people saying there was no build up to it,
I thought there was. Asami was the only person Korra talked to while she was recovering, she was the first one she went to see when she returned to Republic City, there was the cute blushy compliment scene and all the bonding they had over making fun of Mako.
I don't think it was as out-of-nowhere, fan-pleasing as some people think.

Eh, it's alright I guess. That's miles better than the ending I expected, Korra with Mako again.

Also I like to imagine myself the situation when Mako has a new girlfriend and introduces them:

"That's Korra and Asami. They were my girlfriends once. Both of them. Now they are lesbians. Both of them".

Next shot: Open door, smoke trail, new girlfriend nowhere to be seen.

well technically lesbian is an improper term

Yep.
They're bi.
Or pan.
Maybe demi.
And that's only their romantic orientation.