• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

BB/GG/P4A Style "Rapid Cancels"

HeartfulSin

Professional Idiot
Reaction score
XBL
ForeverMadBro
Parasoul Valentine Cerebella
Probably a stupid idea, but, that's what it is, right? An idea.
Basically, what if Skullgirls had - well - see title.
If you're unfamiliar with what a "Rapid Cancel" (also known as a One More Cancel in P4A, I forget what it's called in GG) is, A rapid cancel is a form of cancel, similar to Squigly's stance cancels or some of Parasoul's Egret Cancels that allows you to fully cancel the animation of any move and do something directly after.
So, say I'm playing as Parasoul.
Basic short corner combo: j.HP s.MP s.HPx2 lp.NS s.LP s.MP c.HP NP
Here's where it comes in.
Say for maybe one or two meter, you have access to this cancel.
So, Idunno, I press LP, LK, MP, and MK at once or some odd combination during the Napalm Pillar. It cancels the animation and allows me to move freely.
So, It opens up possibilities such as:
NP j.MK j.LK j.MP j.LP s.LK s.MKx2 s.HK into Lv. 1.
I see it as making matches faster and more exciting to watch, opening up a whole new world of combos.

Added Note: Rapid Cancels can be done to Distortion Drives (Supers in Blazblue), so that could be a thing here, too. Not sure how it'd work out, but I still think it would be balanced since you're still using meter even after using meter.

Painwheel with RCs = penta overheads or some shit

I ain't having it
I got enough trouble dealing with her quad overheads

I hate to sound like this... but just because one game has something, doesn't mean it has to be in every other game. That's what sets them apart.

If you want mechanics of that nature, play those particular games that have them instead of trying to jumble up and cram all the mechanics into one game. This is what we like to refer to as "variety."

Just to entertain this suggestion..

I would say it should cost at least three bars since rapid cancels typically cost about half your total meter (For good reason since you can extend combos and make an unsafe move safe which would be pretty good for momentum based game like SG) to implement which is fair considering you already start off the match with one bar and meter is fairly easy to accumulate. However to implement this as a universal mechanic in this game just feels unnecessary since DHC, Alpha Counters, and mashed supers is a already a thing in this game.

It would be interesting to see a character in this game that is centered around meter consuming rapid cancels as his/her gimmick though like how Big Band has parries and Elizabeth has a meter consumer second mode. I immediately think Annie since she has an "Anime fighter" vibe on her.

I'm sure Mike will add this though right after he adds a GRD mechanic since SG is missing that too.

What if you Rapid Cancelled Egret Call into another Egret Call? That way, you cancel the recovery of cancelling canceling the recovery of S.HP, thus sending you back in time by 30 frames, allowing you to do another S.HP!

What if you Rapid Cancelled Egret Call into another Egret Call? That way, you cancel the recovery of cancelling canceling the recovery of S.HP, thus sending you back in time by 30 frames, allowing you to do another S.HP!
Now you're thinking with rapids. (though it wouldnt happen because you can't egret call twice in a row)

Iunno. It was just an idea that crossed my mind. I thought it'd be a cool thing to add in maybe. Wasn't entirely expecting this to go over well but, it's just a thought.

rapid cancels should cost 2 drama meter XD, nah. I dunno how well it'd work with this game, could break a LOTTA stuff. then again, what do I know, I'm just a silly little scrub :-P.

2 meters to cancel grab bag recovery in the corner into excellabella to build 1 whole other meter into a combo for most of the meter into a reset into a grab bag reset 2 meter recovery cancel into excellabella sure sign me up

Reactions: Israel
notice when I said it could very well break a LOTTA things? see that? right there? that's my point.

Reactions: Israel
nah that ain't broken can we have grab bag assist too

I see it as making matches faster and more exciting to watch, opening up a whole new world of combos.
Actually what they generally do in real games is make combos longer and pressure safer, both of which tend to make matches slower and less exciting to watch. Just sayin'.
SG already has a pretty open combo system and matches are pretty dang fast, do you really want more?

The saddest part of that post was the fact that you referenced them from BB/P4 but not GG. You should be playing GG!

I don't really see any good reason to have Roman/Rapid/One More! Cancels in Skullgirls unless they're a specific character gimmick. This is Skullgirls, not *insert ASW fighter here*: Mahvel Edition.

If you're unfamiliar with what a "Rapid Cancel" (also known as a One More Cancel in P4A, I forget what it's called in GG) is, A rapid cancel is a form of cancel, similar to Squigly's stance cancels or some of Parasoul's Egret

Well there you go.
The game already has them.
Just not with very character.

Reactions: d3v
Well there you go.
The game already has them.
Just not with very character.
But, then you have to play as Squiggly. And nobody wants that.

2 meters to cancel grab bag recovery in the corner into excellabella to build 1 whole other meter into a combo for most of the meter into a reset into a grab bag reset 2 meter recovery cancel into excellabella sure sign me up

Hmmm.......fuck that...

Make yourself scarce

Reactions: gllt

r u havn a squigl m8

tumblr_n7spfu3RtH1rsd6nxo1_250.png

i'll bash ye head in i swear on me sis

What input would you even use for this rapid cancel?

Keep in mind, Mike is very much against using more than 2 buttons for any input.

Stancels are more like Johnny's MSDC than Roman Cancels, though.

Would be interesting as a character specific trait in a game like this. As their 3 meter or 2 meter Super. In an alternate reality where this game was continuing with content.

Would be interesting as a character specific trait in a game like this. As their 3 meter or 2 meter Super. In an alternate reality where this game was continuing with content.

You mean like Hatred Install?

Aeon could've had it, time cancels!

Or Isaac
Wrong character won

We have to go back

A 2 meter super that lets you cancel any move for a set amount of time/'meter' (and that time/meter is subtracted from each time you cancel a move based on the strength of that move)?

sounds fun

A 2 meter super that lets you cancel any move for a set amount of time/'meter' (and that time/meter is subtracted from each time you cancel a move based on the strength of that move)?

sounds fun
No and no, that sounds like A Groove/SFA Custom Combos.

I meant the Lv2 or Lv3 is a roman cancel.

sounds fun
Wait, this is exactly how KoF13 HD mode works except it's its own resource. It is fun!

I now need SFA-style Custom Combos for Double.

Just so I can do Hornet Bomber someone repeatedly across the entire stage, or corner them and do S.HP xx M Luger over and over. Goddamn, that would look so cool.

Reactions: d3v
Wait, this is exactly how KoF13 HD mode works except it's its own resource. It is fun!

Ohh yeah, damn, and I play that and didn't even think about it..

I now need SFA-style Custom Combos for Double.

Just so I can do Hornet Bomber someone repeatedly across the entire stage, or corner them and do S.HP xx M Luger over and over. Goddamn, that would look so cool.

LOL DOLPHIN MODE CONFIRMED @Fizzxwizz

Reactions: Fizzxwizz
Nope. Comboing in the game is already quite easy and the combos themselves are long enough.

Actually what they generally do in real games is make combos longer and pressure safer, both of which tend to make matches slower and less exciting to watch. Just sayin'.
SG already has a pretty open combo system and matches are pretty dang fast, do you really want more?

The saddest part of that post was the fact that you referenced them from BB/P4 but not GG. You should be playing GG!
But I did reference GG in the title and textbrick. I just forgot the name.
/SenpaiNoticedMeTho