• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Beat Extend's Follow-up + Charge Notification

YussaTampon

Reaction score
PSN
Yussa_Tampoon
Hello, everyone. I have a few requests regarding the execution for Big Band's Beat Extend follow-up as well as something to help people who are playing charge characters such as Big Band or Parasoul.

• The command for Big Band's Beat Extend's follow-up (left, right, left, right, left...) is very unique and perhaps quite fun to perform for those who play on stick, however as a pad player I personally find the command extremely difficult to execute. I can never get the max number of hits to come out on a PS3 no matter how fast I try to perform the inputs using the D-pad. I can perform the max number of hits quite consistently using the analog stick, however I never ever use the analog stick when playing any fighting game so having to switch my hands from the D-pad to the analog stick is very awkward for me. A suggestion I have would be to change Beat Extend's follow-up command to simply holding down the Punch button used to execute the Beat Extend; how long the button is held could determine how many hits the follow-up does. I believe this change would be convenient for both pad and stick players, however I'm open to any other suggestions!
*EDIT*
I was notified that the alternative command to Beat Extend's follow-up was LP, HP, LP... which is a command I personally find VERY comfortable, however this alternate command is not listed in Big Band's command list at all! Obviously, my suggestion would be to add the alternative command to this into his command list. If anyone still finds either of the commands for Big Band's Beat Extend follow-up difficult to perform for whatever reason, be sure to post here about it!
*EDIT*
  • For characters who have charge moves such as Big Band and Parasoul, the sense of timing one needs to perform a charge move as quickly as possible is very difficult to grasp for those who aren't used to playing charge characters (such as myself). If a visual notification could be implemented in some way to let the player know in Training Mode when a charge move is done charging, it would help me build the charge time into my memory better. My suggestion for this topic: if someone has Input Display in training mode set to either "stick" or "all", the joystick that appears on the left side of the screen will turn from white to red (or any other color that isn't white) when held in a direction long enough to fulfill the charge requirement for a charge move. Again, I'm open for any other suggestions regarding the issue!
Thank you for reading! also, If you have the time, feel free to view my other beta bugs/suggestion threads here and here if you haven't already!

Last edited:
You can also "extend" beat extend by alternatively pressing light punch and heavy punch. I find it much more comfortable, even on stick. :)

Reactions: YussaTampon
You can also "extend" beat extend by alternatively pressing light punch and heavy punch. I find it much more comfortable, even on stick. :)

Wow, I didn't know that! That alternate command is missing from Big Band's command list, it seems. Thank you very much for letting me know; I'll update the OP regarding this.

Last edited:
I do the shake follow-up by doing diagonals (here), it feels a lot more natural considering the position that my thumb sits on the controller.

I also like the idea of a charge indication, it could really help practicing combos with command normals into charge moves.

I almost misread your comment about charges, that would be a neat and probably simple idea for training. I've been playing Parasoul for quite a while so the charge timings are ingrained in my brain, and learning what they are is part of the beast with fighting games, but since Training is already so extensive it'd be a great addition to make it easier.

when beat extending with big band, face roll your controller :D

I REALLY WANTED all your posts to be horrible ideas because there were so many of them, but they weren't.
Congrats!

LP HP LP HP exists for pad players, the charge display thing is good, disabling left analog stick is a decent idea but probably won't happen because of TRCs on consoles (disabling the primary input method is a no-no), and the assist thing is probably not going to get taken care of so you might as well learn to play with it. :^)

There actually is a "tell" to know when a move is charged. It's in the character animation. For example, when Parasoul step back, her stops and does a shuffle with her feet. During this quirk is the earliest time to release a Napalm Shot. Big Band has one too, but can't remember. He may have to do with his head bob, or the sound.

As for holding down. I haven't noticed any, but now thinking about their animations I believe Big Band hops up and down, and Parasoul curls her fingers? I could be mistaking animations.

I know Cerebella tumble run charge involves Vice-Versa "come here" finger taunt.

There actually is a "tell" to know when a move is charged. It's in the character animation. For example, when Parasoul step back, her stops and does a shuffle with her feet. During this quirk is the earliest time to release a Napalm Shot. Big Band has one too, but can't remember. He may have to do with his head bob, or the sound.

As for holding down. I haven't noticed any, but now thinking about their animations I believe Big Band hops up and down, and Parasoul curls her fingers? I could be mistaking animations.

I know Cerebella tumble run charge involves Vice-Versa "come here" finger taunt.
That's just in case you are holding backwards while in neutral, but you don't have to actually move to charge. You can do that with every combination of blocking low, blocking high, actually moving backwards (and then blocking... and then moving again...) and possibly other things too.

@Mike_Z

Thanks for considering a few of my suggestions; I look forward to seeing the charge notification sometime in the future!

With regards to disabling the left analog stick, would it be possible in some way to delay the left analog stick rather than disable it? Similar to how the pause button has a delay to it when playing the game in Tournament Mode, would it be possible to allow an option under Button Config to add a few seconds of delay to the left analog stick during gameplay? Or would this be against console TRC?