• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Capture Cards and Live Streaming help?

Zidiane

Doing my best
Reaction score
Steam
Zidiane
PSN
zidiane5
XBL
Zidiane
Cerebella
Hey. I'm going to be buying a capture card soon, but really don't know the difference, or which one I should but. Anyone wanna help me make the decision? Need something cheap preferably (would like to spend no more than $150, but can spend a little more if need be), and main function I need is to be able to capture and stream live matches from my ps3, but I can settle for just recording. Don't know what's required for that.

I use the Hauppauge HD PVR 2 to stream PS3. It works pretty good. It is just barely within your price range.

Something to note is that the PS3 has HDCP which basically means that no matter what capture card you get, you won't be able to stream with HDMI. You'll have to use composite, which won't look as nice. There are ways around this but they're expensive and since you're on a budget I think you're just gonna have to hold that.

Reactions: Zidiane
What's composite?

Those are the red, yellow, and white cables. They are standard definition.

Reactions: mcpeanuts
Oh, okay. I don't even think I have those wires anymore.

Elgato comes with a HD PS3 cable, but like Sage said it's not HDMI technically. It'll still work the same. (Don't use the shitty composites for an HD console, this ain't Smash Bros lol).

Use OBS for both recording and streaming, at the same time if you desire.

Ty for this thread. I'm in the market for a capture card too and couldn't find any decent ones.

I'm guessing Elgato then?

nice post.........

So, I ended up going to best buy and buying the Elgato HD 60 thing. It says it's for next gen systems, so I figured it was a better overall buy. It was 190. Anyway, gonna hook it up and see how it works. The box says it is set up to easily live stream, so now I'm figuring I'm going to need a camera and microphone at some point. Any words on those pieces of equipment?

Hoping I don't end up needing a new computer at the end of this to work all this junk.

Last edited:
My Camera: Laptop Webcam

My Mic: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=041Y5XTTP6N4WBN38DGG

You don't need much for a mic, just something that doesn't pick up too much background noise. You're not using it for music or anything.

As for cameras, I would just research for the quality you want. If you want an HD camera, look for an HD webcam of some sort. I don't know how easy they'll be to set up as far as OBS compatibility goes. I find that my laptop webcam is good enough for me.