• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Cell Shading

SanoBaron

Delicious chewable Hubba-Bella
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Steam
RedRummage and for 3DS 3695-0329-5107
PSN
Sanoblaze
Cerebella Peacock
Given that this for of animation has risen up again with the help of Guilty Gear, I felt it was only fitting to make a thread about it and see what people think.

TBH, cell shading is my favorite form of animation. Windwaker was the first time I saw it and I've loved it ever since.

I love the cell-shading style in the cutscenes of Mirror's Edge. The comic-book style that is invoked by cell shading is really receptive to emphasizing good storytelling.

I am a fan of Grasshopper Manufacturing, AKA the game dev owned and directed by Suda 51. A huge fan. As a result, I am in favor of cel-shading. In a world where suddenly EVERY 3D game has to go in the other direction, cel-shading helps a game stand out a bit, and makes it look a bit... grittier, I wanna say. :)