• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Report Change Incoming: Valentine, the Red Cross, and You...

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I thought, the color change doesn't stand out that much ingame. Looks good.

@Mike_Z: Please don't take my previous post badly, your reaction is 100% legit but Ravi wrote "share you thoughts" so it's normal that we write our reaction to it.
Anyway, it is done and hopefully it looks better in the screens that I thought.

Eh... I can dig it looking at in game footage I've never noticed how much I never paid attention to the crosses in the first place hell I questioned if ileum had crosses to begin with

Put me in the camp that's slightly dissatisfied with the cross change as well, but I understand why it's necessary.

Still... wouldn't they be able to nail you for the original Skullgirls?

Doesn't look so bad in-game, it's a shame that it stands out so much in the official artwork.

The change looks perfectly fine to me.

I've been expecting this. The Red Cross has been really cracking down on unauthorized use of their logo as of late, and frankly its their right to.

So if I want to draw some Valentine fanart, should I color the crosses red or pink? (first world problems)

Ravi wrote "share you thoughts"
Rookie mistake. :^P

So if I want to draw some Valentine fanart, should I color the crosses red or pink? (first world problems)
They have always been this color. Capice?

What will the parasoul palettes look like? I'm suprised no one asked this.

They have always been this color. Capice?
Mike the Don confirmed for Skullgirls!

XXYvp3X.jpg

This really does seem like the best decision for Lab Zero at this point. It's not likely The Red Cross would come down on them for this, but the (relatively) little change here seems well worth assurance that Lab Zero won't ever have to deal with the hell that would ensue if The Red Cross ever decided to sue.

Val had a red cross? Blasphemy!

And all her gallery art is getting changed too?

And Painwheel color #8?

Well, all the L0 Art, well be difficult to change all the fanarts entrys, tought.

Aw, man. All those fanarts. Gone the way of old Beatrix...

Put me in the camp that's slightly dissatisfied with the cross change as well, but I understand why it's necessary.

Still... wouldn't they be able to nail you for the original Skullgirls?

Exactly. They've already been fucked in every orifice over this game, what's to stop it from happening all over again?

Interesting, I never knew this could happen (Red Cross copyright issues and all), not a problem for me, personally. I mean hey, it all takes place in an alternate world anyways, so why not? ;)

Val had a red cross? Blasphemy!
EVERYTHING IN COLOR IS NOW BLASPHEMY! /sarcasm

Sorry for sounding pretentious but those are really ridicolous reasons. I mean, is there a single human being on this planet who actually believes the Red Cross does bad things because they've seen their sign in a videogame?

Sorry for sounding pretentious but those are really ridicolous reasons. I mean, is there a single human being on this planet who actually believes the Red Cross does bad things because they've seen their sign in a videogame?
They tried to get me to donate blood once and as soon as I saw that the nurse had actual human proportions and was dressed professionally, I was outta there.

I assume some story mode art and talk sprites (and Christmas's design as well) will have to been changed. Can't be helped I suppose.

What will I do with all this uncanon Valentine merch now?

I've seen the US President wanting to kill everyone in the US in a video game so I know it's true.
6jad8av.png

Define bad things.

Try looking at it from their perspective. They send emergency medical teams out into war zones and other highly risky situations, doing work that not only saves lives but has other important humanitarian effects. As a result, there are a number of considerations that are granted to them (even terrorists often don't shoot at vehicles with a big red cross on them) that WOULD be eroded if their symbol was able to be used for any and all reasons by anyone because they think it makes something look cool.

Is Lab Zero trying to abuse the positive image of a charity for their own personal gain? No. Do I think the Red Cross is in some secret conspiracy to destroy video games? Of course not. But would they consider taking legal action in order to help them continue doing their work effectively and with minimal risk? Possibly.

Parasoul's #4 and #11 (or whatever) red neck crosses are now black. Don't get me started on THAT. :^P
All official art is changed including Christmas or whoever had the other crosses that were red-on-white. Guest art is untouched because really now.
PW #8 currently remains the same.

Worth noting there are all those wrong-ish rumors about the Red Cross wasting money, so they are allowed to be concerned about their image.

Reactions: LordCeno and Balder
I see your point, but
(even terrorists often don't shoot at vehicles with a big red cross on them)
This seems kind of an exageration to me. Where did you get this information? Why would terrorists respect the Red Cross when they shoot minors right in the face anyway

Reactions: LKArtillery
What would have to be changed about it? I wouldn't change the law for one character, because I thought of that at first lol.
I mean imagine Copyright Act of 1973, sub-section Valentine of Lab Zero v. Red Cross of the Geneva Convention.
You have no idea...
Copyright law is some of the biggest bullshit ever. Its purpose is supposed to be to prevent other people from using your ideas to create clones of your products or anything else that uses your own ideas to be massive detriments to your business. Right now what it does is allow big businesses to wield it like a club that they can whack at any business that's vaguely related to them and often profit while eliminating competition- while also not even preventing those clone products in the first place. They just prevent small businesses from stealing your ideas and using them against you- big businesses can and will steal your ideas, drive you into bankruptcy by beating you to the market, and pretend like they came up with the idea in the first place.

Parasoul's #4 and #11 (or whatever) red neck crosses are now black. Don't get me started on THAT. :^P
All official art is changed including Christmas or whoever had the other crosses that were red-on-white. Guest art is untouched because really now.
PW #8 currently remains the same.

Worth noting there are all those wrong-ish rumors about the Red Cross wasting money, so they are allowed to be concerned about their image.
Kind of confused by changing parasoul.
The thick lined plus sign looking cross is protected, but if a crucifix is liable then every christian church ever should be worried about being sued by the red cross foundation.
I mean, it's the symbol of humility. The thing that existed over a thousand years before the red cross.

I've seen the US President wanting to kill everyone in the US in a video game so I know it's true.
Woah man
I saw the exact same thing
saintsrow4-4.jpg

For those griping about the Red Cross, I'll note that they're legally obligated to enforce their trademarks and copyrights, even if they don't actually care about a particular violation. If they don't, they can set a legal precedent that could bite them in the ass in the event of something they do have a legal beef with.

Other examples include Marvel Comics going after City of Heroes and Champions Online because it was possible to make blatant Wolverine copies, and White Wolf/CCP suing the WWE for continuing to use the vampire character Gangrel after their licensing agreement had expired.

Reactions: Jake Was Here
Kind of confused by changing parasoul.
The thick lined plus sign looking cross is protected, but if a crucifix is liable then every christian church ever should be worried about being sued by the red cross foundation.
I mean, it's the symbol of humility. The thing that existed over a thousand years before the red cross.
We were given a set of 'unacceptable' screenshots. In several frames in those palettes, her cross is more of a plus sign, and it's on a whitish background. We got those screenshots, we change the color, nobody complains, and we're allowed to put out the game in Japan again. Everybody is happy, or at least everybody is the same degree of okay-with-it.

I'm fine with the change, but what I want to know is why request this change now? Is this game so obscure that the Red Cross never knew about it, and how did they even discover this game?

I'm fine with the change, but what I want to know is why request this change now? Is this game so obscure that the Red Cross never knew about it, and how did they even discover this game?
This is a question you are better off not asking. Or rather, a question that you will make us a whole lot happier by not asking.

What did Ileum's crosses change to, since she had red-crosses-on-white on her design, too.
The same color.

Last edited by a moderator:
What did Ileum's crosses change to, since she had red-crosses-on-white on her design, too.

The thick lined plus sign looking cross is protected
The American Red Cross has a trademark on the red + sign, however any red cross on a white background is protected under the Geneva Convention.

For those griping about the Red Cross, I'll note that they're legally obligated to enforce their trademarks and copyrights, even if they don't actually care about a particular violation. If they don't, they can set a legal precedent that could bite them in the ass in the event of something they do have a legal beef with.

Other examples include Marvel Comics going after City of Heroes and Champions Online because it was possible to make blatant Wolverine copies, and White Wolf/CCP suing the WWE for continuing to use the vampire character Gangrel after their licensing agreement had expired.

Yeah, I've seen this happening in other fandoms as well -- talented fan artists getting C&D letters because their work was too good and might have been mistaken for something officially sanctioned. IP law is generally fucked up, in the United States and elsewhere; the reason that copyright owners act like rabid wolverines in defense of their property is that they genuinely might LOSE it if they don't. If some court decides that you haven't been defending your trademark, they'll pitch it out.

This is a question you are better off not asking. Or rather, a question that you will make us a whole lot happier by not asking.
Noted. I'm glad things didn't get any worse, though.

Dangit, man. You jinxed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.