• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Report Change Incoming: Valentine, the Red Cross, and You...

Status
Not open for further replies.
And yet another totally bullshit blow to Skullgirls thanks to copyrights.

Thanks, Obama.

And yet another totally bullshit blow to Skullgirls thanks to copyrights.

Thanks, Obama.
Don't thank him. Thank trademark law in general. In the US, that's been since... 1870 or so, so blame the presidents around that time.

Last edited:
Don't thank him. Thank copyright law in general. In the US, that's been since... '73, so blame Nixon.

THANKS, OBAMA.

Don't thank him. Thank copyright law in general. In the US, that's been since... 1790 or so, so blame Washington.

Yes this is happening because of the United States and not, you know, the Geneva Convention. You understand the situation perfectly.

THANKS, OBAMA.

Reactions: LordCeno
The change to magenta actually looks nice in-game. The change never really effected me anyway since Anethesia and Silent Hill are the only palettes for me.

Yes this is happening because of the United States and not, you know, the Geneva Convention. You understand the situation perfectly.
I know that it's due to the Geneva conventions, but it's enforced by trademark (not copyright, switched the two on accident) law in the United States. Which is, you know, where Lab Zero lives and works.

Also, I'm kinda curious about the decision to make Ileum's cross the same color. Why not, like, green to match the acid-y stuff she spits out? I 'unno, just seems like it'd be a bit more visually appealing.

Reactions: Monkfish
Ileum doesn't have as many assets in the game, so maybe they could still change her crosses into a different shape, like red diamonds or something?

Oh wait, then that might make the playing cards angry. Hmmm...

So reading through it again, I noticed the problem specifically mentions a red cross on a white background. What if you guys reverse out the red cross with white, and put it on a red circle background like this?

C8q6r2g.png

I suppose then the crosses on her legs would need to be changed to white or something, but I think there would be less color clash this way. The issue I see with this is that you guys would have to change how valentine's palettes are made I assume and a much more simple fix would be the one you guys went with. Just thought I would give my input as a graphic designer on what would be more visually pleasing.

So reading through it again, I noticed the problem specifically mentions a red cross on a white background. What if you guys reverse out the red cross with white, and put it on a red circle background like this?
I suppose then the crosses on her legs would need to be changed to white or something, but I think there would be less color clash this way. The issue I see with this is that you guys would have to change how valentine's palettes are made I assume and a much more simple fix would be the one you guys went with. Just thought I would give my input as a graphic designer on what would be more visually pleasing.
Er. Because there's no way to do that to all of her frames with just a palette edit, which is hella easier than editing 1000+ frames. Unless we made her coat red, which is an even bigger visual difference and would change the rest of her art more.
Her leg crosses aren't a separate color from the others - they must all be changed to the same color unless all her frames are edited.
So the primary consideration was "What can we do that's the minimal work for the GAME part while still being approved?" And the secondary consideration was "What's the minimal work we can do for the rest of the art that actually does have to be edited by hand?"

Reactions: Monkfish
Uh... are you gonna update the Skullgirls Steam store page with Val's new design since the red cross is in the video? Same with screenshots of her on the page, too?
STAAAAAAAAAAHP

Uh... are you gonna update the Skullgirls Steam store page with Val's new design since the red cross is in the video? Same with screenshots of her on the page, too?
Nope. Not now, anyways.

I'll devil horns xx hustling rocks you if this thread isn't locked.
Tape it please.

The more pink the better!

is there a particular shade of red you can't use or all shades of red?

It's a universal symbol, so practically any shade would be risky. You could maybe get away with it if it was particularly washed out or incredibly dark red, but by that point you may as well change the colour and avoid the risk entirely.

Eh, not a big fan of the purple, I made my own quickie edit

eLumSJd.jpg

It's pretty much just grayscaling the crosses and making the ones on her clothes darker while making the metal ones look more... metal I guess. It could also work making the metal X's black so that they contrast the white uniform.

It's a loose legal definition of "red on white." There are no specific Pantone colors specified, etc.

So anything that could be identified by a layman as "red" is going to violate it. Thus it had to be very explicitly not-red.

C8q6r2g.png

Again, this is already done, and not changing.

I agree that this looks good! But the difference, though, is that would require us to edit all of Valentine's frames. Which is a ton of work.

The current solution only requires us to change her palette, which is a 10 minute fix for that part of it.

Eh, not a big fan of the purple, I made my own quickie edit

It's pretty much just grayscaling the crosses and making the ones on her clothes darker while making the metal ones look more... metal I guess. It could also work making the metal X's black so that they contrast the white uniform.

We tried gray - it was actually Alex's preferred option for a while.

But then we saw it in the game, and it completely washed her out. So we decided that we needed those bright, warm accents to make her pop.

Last edited:
So we decided that we needed those bright, warm accents to make her pop.

Fuchsia isn't warm, it's hot! Very hot!

RIP the skullfans who use original palettes.

Change her eyes to be purple as well. What made the design nice was that the red in her eyes and crosses dotted the character with red.

If it's purple crosses, red eye, it's a bit ugly. If it's purple crosses, purple eye, then the palette theme stays...

Maybe consider altering her default hair colour as well to something slightly more greenish to keep on the same colour wheel theme?

i seem to remember that the game theme hospital had a similar probleem when i first came out, it went from this....

Theme_Hospital.front_cover.jpg

to this

hospitallogo.gif

i guess it shhouldnt have been too surprising since if you wanted you could just let patients wander around in amongst piles of vomit and dead rats, with the heating too high and charging 15 bucks for a coke until they keeled over and died. so i think that was more of a bad representation of the medical profession than skullgirls lol.

Again, this is already done, and not changing.
I understand. I hope you and everyone else at Lab Zero can get everything resolved and everyone can be happy.

I understand. I hope you can get everything resolved and everyone can be happy.
There will always be individuals unsatisfied. It's life. Just another bump in the road.

We tried it, and Alex preferred keeping the eye red.

Ugh. I get why this is being done and I'm just nitpicking but you couldn't have picked a less tacky and bright color than that neon fuchsia? It's hideous and clashes with her. I would've colored them black or grey.

Would've preferred it blood orange.

And seeing that the official Red Cross logo is a #fe0002 shade of red, Valentine's variation should be under legal boundaries seeing that it's around the #d22222 range ;)

Reactions: LKArtillery
Change her eyes to be purple as well. What made the design nice was that the red in her eyes and crosses dotted the character with red.

If it's purple crosses, red eye, it's a bit ugly. If it's purple crosses, purple eye, then the palette theme stays...

Maybe consider altering her default hair colour as well to something slightly more greenish to keep on the same colour wheel theme?

I was going to say something like this. I don't REALLY mind the crosses changing color or Alex keeping the one red eye, but now her default hair color looks out of place -- a washed-out blue clashes horribly with a fuchsia.

bummer.
the change looks alright in the game screenshots, but on the promotional art, eugh. I understand this is the best that could be done with limited resources but I'm kinda hoping she get a more involved modification in the future, resource permitting.

Reactions: LKArtillery
Status
Not open for further replies.