• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Characters for beginners?

Wiw

Cheesy Catchphrase.
Reaction score
Eliza Valentine Robo Fortune
I just had a thought: what characters are best suited for players new to fighting games in general?

It's hard to really say because every character is easy based on your comfort with them. Easy is subjective and up to you so there isn't much I can truly say.

Characters I find are pretty simple:
Cerebella (she's well rounded and has virtually everything except for an air dash)
Double (same idea but no armor)
Fortune (this varies because some new players have a hard time with dp inputs but she's a character that has most mobility options)
after that other characters include Fukua and Filia but I don't feel they're that simple anymore.

Fukua does have a low skill floor at least.

Reactions: Tox
I... lost to Cerebella. Is there a way to counter someone who spams Cerebella's heavy fist?

The knuckle across the screen move? Block it or jump over it.

Tag Beowulf in and smash em from behind.

Alternatively, if you're using Robo-Fortune, would pushblock guard cancelling into her crouching theonite beam work?

hmmm

not really a good reversal. it's unsafe upclose even on hit. [mind you not super unsafe but it's like -4 or something]

better to pbgc into Lk Danger. it pushes the opponent away and give you time to set up zoning.

Is that scroll heel? Or is that too slow?
scroll heel is Robo Fortune's cr.mk [it's also her sweep.] And yes Scoll Heel would be too slow.

Lk Danger! is a special move where Fortune Spins her Head around. It has upper body invincibility and is pretty fast.

The only characters I wouldn't recommend to a beginner are Painwheel and Squigly, but honestly if you like them enough and were willing to put in the work I wouldn't argue the point. One of the many great things about SG is how beginner friendly its systems are without sacrificing any depth.

Painwheel is by far the hardest and most awkward to use. Her damage output as well as Hate Guard are invaluably useful though. So, if you know what you're doing and have a few combos up your sleeve she can be frightfully effective.

I reckon Valentine is the most beginner friendly to use. Ms Fortune (with her head on) too. But, that's just me.

Reactions: thederphog
Hi i'm very new to fighting game and skullgirls too would like to pick up Filia is it ok i think she's suitable for me as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Filia will teach you a lot about the game. Probably the problem you might have is learning how to be aggressive which is Filia's thing.

Reactions: Lighter210
Filia will teach you a lot about the game. Probably the problem you might have is learning how to be aggressive which is Filia's thing.
oh wow thanks i'm still looking for some masters you know some one who are beat me off so many times so i can learn from that haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When in doubt, use the 3 first characters in the game: filia, Peacock and Bella.

You'll have the three archetypes (rushdown, zoner and grappler) and learn the basic ways of playing i fighting game (aggressively, defensively and annoyingly)

Reactions: Lighter210