• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Cross-up hitsparks in real matches

Zidiane

Doing my best
Reaction score
Steam
Zidiane
PSN
zidiane5
XBL
Zidiane
Cerebella
I just think it would be kinda cool if training mode cross-up hitsparks happened in real matches, on hit and only for the first hit of a combo. I think it would help new players (and some old players) know when they're getting crossed up real time (can't tell you how many times I've heard "Yo what side was that on"), help people starting out get better at blocking correctly by knowing they got mixuped up (new players can be frustrated by getting hit when they thought they were blocking), and also make matches more visually exciting for the audience by making crossing someone up look more dynamic.

Edit: Oh yeah, @Mike_Z

Last edited:
Normally I put together "Well I blocked right and that hit me so maybe I should try to block left the next time it happens." Even then if the set up was ambiguous what's the spark going to tell me other than it crosses up sometimes but at the same time it doesn't and that'll be after it happens anyway. Shouldn't be too hard to realize you just blocked the wrong way right? I hope so.

I myself don't really like the visual because it makes it harder for me to see what's going on but that's just me.

EDIT: And I think it looks very ugly.

Last edited:
I think it might be neat for a viewer/commentator's perspective. Sure you might know which way it hit you, but it isn't always super obvious the a viewer.

Normally I put together "Well I blocked right and that hit me so maybe I should try to block left the next time it happens."
I think it would help new players (and some old players)
Not everyone needs it, but for those who do need the cue it could help while not really changing anything for those who don't need it. Or idk.

Last edited:
I agree with Zid. I imagine it could be very helpful to new players, as well as useful for anyone spectating a match. Cross-ups aren't always as obvious when you aren't the one playing. Also, the effect looks fine ta me.

This is Skullgirls. Sometimes there's too much on screen to be able to tell "OH. THAT THING THAT JUST HIT ME WAS A CROSS-UP", when you're focusing on 5 different things at once. I think Zid's idea would be quite handy.

You can't see which way you're blocking currently? Unless people are using low and overhead assists while also crossing you up I'm afraid I don't understand the use.

I don't know how you can't just realize the direction you blocked was incorrect at the time unless you have really bad memory and can't remember which direction you previously blocked. =/

This game is easy enough as it is at this rate I feel like the game will just hand you all the answers.

I also don't like that Eliza's j.hp has a similar look to it and I'd rather not get confused with a change like this. Also the cross up display isn't always right if you look towards pw's death crawl it shows every hit as a cross up even though it doesn't really do that on block.

I don't know how you can't just realize the direction you blocked was incorrect at the time unless you have really bad memory and can't remember which direction you previously blocked. =/

Most people probably don't have much trouble recognizing cross-ups. In fact, it's usually pretty easy to tell when you've been crossed-up in this game. But that doesn't mean it's always obvious for everyone. There are plenty of people who simply don't have a lot of experience with fighting games and may not even realize what getting crossed-up means, so something like the cross-up effect may help them eventually realize what they're doing wrong.

It would also be good for commentators. They have to focus on a lot of things, so an obvious indication for cross-ups could be a helpful cue for someone who is trying to keep up with a match while simultaneously commenting on everything that's happening. This makes for a much more interesting spectator sport.

I also don't like that Eliza's j.hp has a similar look to it and I'd rather not get confused with a change like this.
So you never get confused telling which side things are hitting on but cross-up sparks being similar to Eliza's j.hp is just too confusing to handle? :p
Also the cross up display isn't always right if you look towards pw's death crawl it shows every hit as a cross up even though it doesn't really do that on block.
That is a weird thing, but I'm sure it's fixable. Mike probably hasn't bothered cause it sorta doesn't matter, but I doubt Death Crawl breaks the system entirely.

Also, Death Crawl looks amazing with crossup sparks on. Wish it did that all the time on hit.

Also also, didn't say it clearly but the request is specifically for crossup sparks on hit, and only for the first hit of a combo. I think I accidentally erased that part when editing the OP.

I'd say do it if possible but those are my gripes and I thought I should share them. Good luck getting them in.

It'd be neat to add in game if it's possible.

Might be worth turning the attacking character a different color (kind of like the counterhit defender=red or PBGC attacker=green) as opposed to the bigger yellow flash you see in training mode.

Might be worth turning the attacking character a different color (kind of like the counterhit defender=red or PBGC attacker=green) as opposed to the bigger yellow flash you see in training mode.

I actually like this idea a lot. The person getting hit by the cross-up could flash yellow or somethin'.

The problem I have with this is that you can trick the system into putting crossup hitsparks on an ambiguous hit. I've been in training, recorded ambiguous setups that show hitsparks, then tried to block them myself. They ended up being same side. So if anything, the hitsparks need to be fixed first before they can be implemented in real matches

Reactions: Hilary
It'd be neat to add in game if it's possible.

skullgirls rainbow edition

edit: Also, no one playing should get hit and not know whether they got crossed up or not. If you blocked one direction and got hit then how is your initial reaction not "Oh that was a cross up, I could have blocked it the other way". lol
It'd help spectators and commentators know what was a cross up or not yeah.

Last edited:

edit: Also, no one playing should get hit and not know whether they got crossed up or not. If you blocked one direction and got hit then how is your initial reaction not "Oh that was a cross up, I could have blocked it the other way". lol

I'd like it less for myself or other higher players and more for new players and commentary.

The PBGC green flash is a really good example of a visual cue being added to indicate what happened for a newer player, whereas an intermediate or advanced player knows the only thing that could happen in that situation was a PBGC. I personally liked having the ambiguity there because I PBGC a lot and was worried one of my gimmicks would be exposed, but after seeing the positive impact it's had on other players' ability to recognize/do them, I have to argue for it being a good thing.

The problem I have with this is that you can trick the system into putting crossup hitsparks on an ambiguous hit. I've been in training, recorded ambiguous setups that show hitsparks, then tried to block them myself. They ended up being same side. So if anything, the hitsparks need to be fixed first before they can be implemented in real matches

I think Mike said the check was based on relative positions of physical extent markers rather than whether the hitbox of the ambiguous/crossup actually hits on a specific side, so yeah it's still kind of exploitable.

Reactions: WarpedEcho

Squigly c.hp assist + ambiguous crossup is one way. Another is a fast overhead that's also an ambiguous crossup that you block low (you won't know whether you needed to block high-left or high-right).

I mean I get it, but damn loool
Why not add a color flash indicating that I am doing an absolute guard too while we're at it.

I'm not arguing for or against it (I don't really have an opinion either way); I'm just answering the question of "how would you NOT know that was a crossup?".

EDIT: and ASW games for the last several years have had an exclamation point for when you've blocked wrong high vs. low; the crossup sparks would basically be the exact same thing (if you know that you've blocked right on high vs. low, then you know you were crossed up).

Reviving this thread? I had the exact same impression when the crossup spark got put into training mode. Seemed like there was no reason to not include it in regular matches.

I agree with Sage and the boys, there's no reason to add more colored character flashes, but an in-game crossup hitspark removes ambiguity, helps commentators and new players, and honestly just feels good to see. With the logic that implemented the high/low "!?"s and counterhit heartbreak, could we give this a spin? I'm all for ANYTHING that makes reset/mixups have clearer visuals. Promoting the "this is exactly how I reset you to death :^)" attitude visually is, I feel, a really great thing for such a fast paced, reset and mixup heavy game.

Gonna go out on a limb and tag ya, @Mike_Z

This has been explained before, there are many situations where you can get crossup sparks to appear when you end up hitting same side or vice versa. It ends up making things be more confusing, and if said situation happened in a real match, it would be giving misinformation.

I think Mike said the check was based on relative positions of physical extent markers rather than whether the hitbox of the ambiguous/crossup actually hits on a specific side, so yeah it's still kind of exploitable.

Did you even read the thread?

Reactions: dMags
I fucking love that "?!", both on offense and defense.

Did you even read the thread?
;____; bruh

Did read it, but you're right to call me out for not acknowledging it. It would need to be fixed before every being implemented in real matches.

Doesn't change that I would like to revive this idea! Hate the thought of giving Mike anymore work than he has, but this would be a nice thing.

Crappy solution with tons of problems:
Indicator for blocking the wrong way. Doesn't matter which way, if you are holding "forward" at the time of getting hit it would appear.

Pros:
  • Lets you know if you messed up or hitstop is a bitch when Dynamo knocks your ass to next Tuesday
  • If you are still blocking backwards when hit by a crossup, it is clearly indicated.
  • In general, lets you know if you were too slow switching from forwards to back
Cons:
  • Suddenly there's an indicator for 95% of the time you get hit by a projectile.
  • It would show up when you get hit by most air to airs (I couldn't ALREADY tell I wasn't blocking when I got hit by Parasoul j.LP j.HP on the way up. Thanks for rubbing it in, Game)
  • Would really clutter the screen, would mean that 95% of the time someone gets hit there would be some kind of indication
If this could be implemented, to improve the quality of life we could(?):
  • Have this only occur if character's points are very close to one another. VERY close. Crossup close.
  • Does not apply to lows, only Mid and High attack

Gonna go out on a limb and tag ya, @Mike_Z
No, for the reasons explained already, unless I can get it to behave better in almost all cases and not be obnoxious. It would CERTAINLY not happen if you are holding Forward.

Reactions: Beamsprouts