• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Cultural Theories

WaterMystic277

Anime Fucker
Reaction score
Squigly Cerebella
I had a thought, what are the other kingdoms like?

Obviously, I have a feeling that the Dragon Kingdom is very heavily based on oriental culture, while the Chess Kingdom probably has a hive-mind thing going on, or there's an internal war going on with them, with white and black pieces.

Reactions: musica
Oh hell, now I'm imagining the Chess Kingdom being like Prospit/Derse.

Oh hell, now I'm imagining the Chess Kingdom being like Prospit/Derse.
Oh fuck that's actually pretty perfect.
THE BLACK QUEEN IS THE NEXT SKULLGIRL.

Reactions: musica
If we're rolling with the whole 'Dragon Kingdom is China' shtick and combining it with 'The Canopy Kingdom is a fantasy setting derived from early/mid 20th century America' then it follows that they should be, at the moment, screwed. Very, very screwed.

Reactions: TheRealMrBean
If we're rolling with the whole 'Dragon Kingdom is China' shtick and combining it with 'The Canopy Kingdom is a fantasy setting derived from early/mid 20th century America' then it follows that they should be, at the moment, screwed. Very, very screwed.
I think the war already happened, considering the grand war.
/let's kill jokes.

Actually I think the Canopy Kingdom is probably meant to be an analogue to 1940-ish France rather than America, seeing that the Art Deco movement actually started in France. The fact that the royal family of the Canopy Kingdom has a French surname seems to also point towards that.

The pre-Canopy Kingdom country, the Meridian Empire, was probably based on the Holy Roman Empire or specifically Italy, given the fact the the Medicis and their allies have Italian names.

Chess Kingdom is pretty hard to say since we know next to nothing about it apart from the fact that they are magic-centric. I'm guessing it's also based on another European civilisation.

As for the Gigan Nation, I am guessing it is probably inspired by the Vikings.

Chess Kingdom, I suspect, is Near Eastern. Chess was invented and codified in what is now India and Iran, and the whole "magic kingdom" thing immediately draws the Arabian Nights to my mind.

Chess Kingdom, I suspect, is Near Eastern. Chess was invented and codified in what is now India and Iran, and the whole "magic kingdom" thing immediately draws the Arabian Nights to my mind.

Oh my fuck I love that so much.

I approve. I approve immensely.

Rommelgrad, the city that Peacock and Marie are from, I think is located in a sorta country with a heavy Russian/English/French influence. And that it's located somewhere between Canopy Kingdom and the Dragon Empire. It's also pretty cold so clothes that cover up is pretty common.

Rommelgrad is a pretty interesting name. Rommel is most likely a reference to Erwin Rommel, the famous German panzer commander from WWII, but -grad is a common suffix for Russian cities.

Also given Alex's more recent revelation about the distance of the three Kingdoms compared to our world, I'm also now convinced that the Chess Kingdom most likely has Middle Eastern influences.

Rommelgrad is a pretty interesting name. Rommel is most likely a reference to Erwin Rommel, the famous German panzer commander from WWII, but -grad is a common suffix for Russian cities.

Also given Alex's more recent revelation about the distance of the three Kingdoms compared to our world, I'm also now convinced that the Chess Kingdom most likely has Middle Eastern influences.

Hence why I suggested in between Canopy and the Dragon Kingdom, sorts similar to how Germany, Russia, and Asia are fairly close to each other. It wouldn't surprise me if Rommelgrad was founded by people from Canopy though, given Canopy is a mix of 1920s-1940s America, Germany, and France.