• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Defending Beowulf’s high/low?

HiroProtagonest

Splatoonatic
Reaction score
Steam
Hiro Protagonest
PSN
Hiro Protagonest
Parasoul Filia Big Band
Beowulf can dash-aerial for fast overheads that lead to full combos, so I want to know how exactly to defend against it.

Is the overhead reactable with practice? I'm sure the low kick is still faster, but if I try for a timed switch to high guard, c.LK c.MK will hit me on the second hit. Going for pushblock Absolute Guard on a guess seems like a really bad idea.

Do I try timing Light Punches to beat those buttons?

His j.lp overhead has 14 frames of startup and is unreactable. J.mp and j.mk are slow enough to be reacted to, but his usual overheads are not reactable.

You could try holding upback or up then back. If beowulf does not do his low fast enough and/or he does not have good enough advantage, then it might save you from a few hits. Timing is also a decent way of defending, though it may not mean much if he is doing it as a reset. Pushblocking him when you guess correctly is also important.

Unreactable high/lows are his thing, the best way to avoid it is to either put Beowulf on the defensive or to put yourself in a position where he can't do his high/low mixups.
The light punch thing depends on where you and your opponent are as well as the frame data of you two. Ex: wolf blitzer is negative so light punch away if you think he is going for a setup

also if he's doing a high low at a certain point in block pressure i.e. jump in j.hp > hop j.lk/2lk don't forget you can pbag to block both options