• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Doesn't everyone love Sonic? - The Sonic the Hedgehog thread.

Who gives a crap about forces?! FLYING BATTERY ZONE MUTHAFUGGAS!
I'll say that Flying Battery has my favorite music in the whole series.

@Zazz Flying Battery is one my favorites for sure. Also love Lava Reef, Chemical Plant, Hydrocity, Metropolis.

Sonic Mania is more like Sonic Nostalgia Grab
More old levels than new levels? Fuck off with that.
No one wants to play through green hill for the umpteenth time
You imply that people have played it (differently) more than once. How many rehashes are there of Green Hill Zone in the Sonic Universe so far that are playable. How many are actually the same as the one in Sonic Mania

You claim no-one wants to play through green hill for the umpteenth time, yet practically everything past the 20 second mark of any footage is never before seen layout.

This post kind of implies that re-used content can't be fun, or good, but that's not really true.

We also don't know what the new levels are-- for all you know, it could be a reskin of old content and you may not even notice.

I don't particularly get the point of lambasting the game as if you already know all the details. Can you please tell me them so I too can be grumpy.

Reactions: shoryusatsu999
If it's a new layout how about they make it: a new level instead of just going "HEY GUYS REMEMBER THIS??"

If it's a new layout how about they make it: a new level instead of just going "HEY GUYS REMEMBER THIS??"
Making a new tileset takes a long time. There's absolutely nothing wrong with re-using work.

There's also the point that it is incredibly easier to add new pieces to an old environment set and still introducing new ways to traverse them.

It's not about "Hey Remember This!?" It's about "How can we make this level more interesting and memorable" while not also busting their ass on time and budget, AND keeping the cool theme

EDIT: Also consider that they may have been given a budget AND schedule, and they probably also have a lot of things they want to do, but can't do them due to time. If they already have a delay, I can fully understand that they want to still provide new layouts while also nicking some old bits. It saves time and still gets them the goal they want (new content) while still scraping up time for polish, bug-fixing, QA, and other things that we might not even know.

i just don't see the appeal in taking what's already agreed to be good and just doing it again with some tweaks to generate hype or interest.

Why not take levels with memorable aspects but poor execution and redeem them? The assets are there, it can be done, and it'd be more ambitious and impressive than just "Green Hill, but with more!!!". Why not take one of the shitty middle levels of Sonic 1 and make it more interesting and engaging than its original form? Why not take a less memorable zone like Oil Ocean and punch it up to a better standard? Why not take one of the godawful Sonic CD levels and make it actually playable without feeling like pulling fingernails?

The assets are there, the chance is there, so why just take what people will like and leave it at that?

Taking levels with memorable aspects and poor execution, and then redeeming them, doesn't require new assets?

Ambition doesn't mean you need to spend more time and budget making it look NEW when you can improve what was there, especially if the intent is to Redeem it-- if it's not the previous content, how can it be redeemed?

Why exactly does it need to be "Ambitious" if it's already changing a large amount of content? Anything more than "it should just really be a different zone, or different tileset" sounds like bikeshedding

The other point of "Why not take a less memorable zone like [Oil Ocean/Sonic CD level/Sonic 1 Level" is harder to be absolute about:
- The designers, producers could actually favor these levels and were willing to try them anyways
- The designers, producers tallied up all the possible ideas they had, and then sorted, voted on what they thought was best or most applicable, and these ( and all the other things we haven't seen so far ) are the results
- The levels in question have significance: Mirage Saloon is explicitly included because it is an unfinished level with no complete design... until now. Green Hill Zone, Flying Battery Zone are memorable and stick out to older fans, and the team wanted to appeal to that group while also modernizing the layouts and give them their own unique flair.
- SEGA / Sonic Team / Whoever their bosses are demanded or otherwise asked for callback content, and they either agree or don't get paid. This scenario is probably not applicable at all, but we don't know
- They also showcase some sort of hidden or unused content we aren't aware of, and are using this as a chance to show the world. Also a slim scenario, but we don't know

The last point of "The assets are there, the chance is there, so why just take what people will like and leave it at that?".. well

Everyone has their own opinion and stance on what people will like. I don't mind playing GHZ again, and I enjoyed Flying Battery Zone. You may not. We both cannot speak for a large amount of people. There is nothing anyone can say that is 100% applicable to all players or spectators regarding this title.

It also basically claims that rehashing is OK so long as it's something You want, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's any different than them doing GHZ or FBZ: it's still rehashed content

Reactions: mayhemking
At first, I was a little annoyed that they are remixing old levels but from what they've shown so far it looks like they tweaked the levels a lot, especially the second acts. I'm ok with it. Maybe Sonic Mania 2 will have more original content.

We got a Shilloute of the 'new character" in Sonic Forces, and a confirmation that it's not Sonic Boom Sonic.
tumblr_oobia5S5Pk1u4nkito2_1280.png

Is...... is that you, Bubsy?

It looks like Shadow or maybe Blaze? Hard to see....

Its actually 20 new characters standing in front of each other that Sega expects us to all love and appreciate in one game....what? Its happened before.

yeah sonic the fighters was a weird game

anyways I'm glad they brought Mighty back for this momentous occasion

Green Hill Zone is back

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

Your enthusiasm is astounding

green hill makes me want to catch a bullet with my teeth

please use another starting zone for once please
mushroom hill zone has been gathering dust for years

I get reusing assets is fine but why green hill? Keep in mind if they do something new with it like say it becomes mechanized mid level or set on fire I'm fine. But if the theme is just plain old green hill zone, espically since we have it in mania, I think they should've done something new.

But hey here's hoping they will do something new to green hill.

I was talking to some people in a discord and we came to the conclusion that Sonic is an asshole who only saves the day once Eggman's plan intervenes with his good time.

Like, give me a game with the best Sonic character, Blaze.

All Sonic characters except Eggman are shitty
He deserves to win and subjugate all these trash animals
YEAH.

FUCK THE FURRIES.

YEAH.

FUCK THE FURRIES.
YOU FOOL!

YOU'RE GIVING THEM EXACTLY WHAT THEY WANT!

the only thing I want is for Vector to be relevant

Vector's pretty cool

please use another starting zone for once please
mushroom hill zone has been gathering dust for years
I doubt SEGA considers Mushroom Hill a starting zone, considering that Sonic 3 and S&K were lumped together as S3&K for Generations.

I can dream okay

In other news, Chemical Plant, Palmtree Panic, and Angel Island got revealed

Green Hill, Palmtree Panic, Angel Island

that's a lot of first levels.

that's a lot of greenery

i actually forgot palmtree panic existed so i thought it was a new zone for a second

what a fool i was

I dunno where you got that info from, but Christian Whitehead has apparently stated that those three zones are not confirmed to be in the game.

So.

The official Sonic twitter might not be the dankest official Sonic product out there.

First look at Force's Green Hill

MEH, Music's not great, level design looks ok, and looks like Generations physics for classic, which I don't mind to much. I like the dusty ruin-y feel that they added to Green hill. Though they could of made it look more desert like by having thinks look more dead/withered or even just having the grass, trees, totems, and flowers be caked in sand some what. But I'd honestly prefer if they got rid of the Green grass and replace it with stone slabs and calling Dusty Ruin Zone or even adding some water and make the background look dead and desert-y and calling Verdant Oasis Zone.

i hope the second act is green hill getting destroyed by eggman
just reduced to a flat wasteland
no hill zone

Reactions: Dragonage2ftw