• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Don't play beta if you don't want to play against Robo Fortune

MegamanDS

You know who
Reaction score
Steam
MegamanDS
Fukua Parasoul
I'm not sure what's going on but I had 4 different people on my friend's list tell me they don't want to play against my Robo. I was also kicked out of lobbies for playing Robo as well. Regardless of the reason, this is BETA for a reason and you have to deal with the BETA updates. If you don't want to play against Robo, then go play retail. I'm sick of not being able to play because I pick Robo. The funny part is I'm not even winning with her so I don't see the reason for the hate. Boy I would hate to see some of you play against Cable/Commando in MvC2 when you hate Robo this much. It's pretty sad.

/rant

You are aware that there are some Beta changes aside from that unfinished character, yes?
I mean, you are known for ignoring patch notes for months, so maybe you never noticed

If I want to test out how the headless Fortune changes adjust her gameplan in previously problematic matchups
It doesn't really help when some guy in my lobby keeps picking a character that he can't play, which doesn't have hurtboxes, and which I have no info on

I don't see what "I'd rather test out 5 months worth of patchnotes that are getting into Retail sometime soon (Beowulf patch will happen sometime; fingers crossed),
than a single barebones character - which won't be released until some half year+ into the future" has to do with playing against Cable/Commando

Last edited:
I felt the same way when Big Band was in beta, I sympathize with you.

Of course back then Big Band had a 5f jab, didn't have sound stun, and had armor on L Brass (which was safe)...

You are aware that there are some Beta changes aside from that unfinished character, yes?
I mean, you are known for ignoring patch notes for months, so maybe you never noticed
I know stuff changes in beta quite a bit, but you're right, I don't read patch notes and I don't think I ever have in my life. That doesn't have anything to do with my original post. I'm one of those that wants to play the game right away cause I'm hungry for a match that I skip over the prompt that tells me stuff has changed. I'm guilty of this, I admit it. Sorry @Mike_Z

If I want to test out how the headless Fortune changes adjust her gameplan in previously problematic matchups
It doesn't really help when some guy in my lobby keeps picking a character that he can't play, which doesn't have hurtboxes, and which I have no info on
Can't I use your own argument against you? I don't want to play against headless Fortune's new updates because it's beta and we don't know if it's staying in there. Why should I practice against a headless fortune which we have no knowledge if it's staying in there. I don't want some guy to keep coming into my lobby picking headless fortune when it's not definite that it's staying. I would be practicing against something that might not end up in retail.

I don't see what "I'd rather test out 5 months worth of patchnotes that are getting into Retail sometime soon (Beowulf patch will happen sometime; fingers crossed),
than a single barebones character - which won't be released until some half year+ into the future" has to do with playing against Cable/Commando
Because after talking to Mike about Robo for a lengthy time, Fortune is looking to be like the Cable/Commando of SG? That's what her playstyle is aiming to be. People that played MvC2 had to find a way to adapt to that specific strategy to beat it. Believe it or not, this game has hundreds of parallels to MvC2 and 100% of my actual gameplay strats come from MvC2.

Don't get me wrong, I see your side of the argument, so I somewhat agree with you about the "I want to practice beta changes too but not against an unfinished character". And I also know you love to argue with me too ^_^ *checks every thread I ever created* *Vulpes disagreeing with me about threads and every single suggestion I have ever posted*

EDIT: Keep in mind I was pretty infuriated when I made this post and I know the title and OP sound harsh. It was rant that I wanted to get off my chest and I am calm now so I see it might of rubbed people the wrong way.

Last edited:
i have a certain thought on this but for this: HELICOPTER DA GA
WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
D.

anywho i'm not concerned with robo but with how beta radically is different from retail and i would like to play that more. Plain n simple.

(though i wouldn't kick people out for using a......."interesting" character)

Are we talking about character's gameplay or the character itself? Because I know of people who hate on Robo just for being what they call a 'meme' or 'waste of money'

Can't I use your own argument against you? I don't want to play against headless Fortune's new updates because it's beta and we don't know if it's staying in there. Why should I practice against a headless fortune which we have no knowledge if it's staying in there. I don't want some guy to keep coming into my lobby picking headless fortune when it's not definite that it's staying. I would be practicing against something that might not end up in retail.
The thing is that, while Robo is clearly still in flux and changes every beta update, the Fortune changes, in this example, have been in for weeks-months and have shown no signs from Mike of suddenly being removed/changed drastically.

So someone could want to avoid current Beta headless Fortune, but soon enough that or a similar version of headless will likely be in Retail and they'd be better off learning to deal with it now than later. Can't really say the same about Robo.

Can't I use your own argument against you?
Aside from Luweewu's point:
The changes to *everything but Robo-Fortune* will be in Retail sometime soonish (namely, with Beowulf)
As such, they kind of have to get extensively tested so we don't run into problems on Retail post-Beowulf patch (which eg CB and NWM will hopefully be played on..)

Robo-Fortune on the other hand is a far far way off - as such, playtesting her is far less of a pressing matter

[Robo-]Fortune is looking to be like the Cable/Commando of SG? That's what her playstyle is aiming to be. People that played MvC2 had to find a way to adapt to that specific strategy to beat it.
And my point is that I dislike playing against unfinished characters that won't hit the Retail build in 6+ months..
Her playstyle has nothing to do with it at all; I would dislike playing against her as well if she was Magneto incarnate.

For the record I'm not talked about in this thread at all, as I don't play against randoms :) Neither do I open, nor do I join public lobbies (much less on Beta)..
But I can fully understand anyone who is interested in testing out 99.9% of the beta changes, rather than pointlessly fighting a hurtboxfree helicopter

Helicopter move has had hurtboxes from the start, it's based on head-on s.HK after all
Did people just assume it was unbeatable because of how menacing it looks

The funny part is I'm not even winning with her so I don't see the reason for the hate.
Other people were beating you? T_T

I think it's cool that you always seem to be the first person to really play a character.

Helicopter move has had hurtboxes from the start, it's based on head-on s.HK after all
Did people just assume it was unbeatable because of how menacing it looks
you try and contest that thing. i've been trying for the past 4 days you're not out-right beating it at a conventional standpoint. you're better off having a dp assist tbh.

Edit: how convenient
mikez said:
j.HK does not have real hitboxes yet in the version you all have.

Last edited:
The thing is that, while Robo is clearly still in flux and changes every beta update, the Fortune changes, in this example, have been in for weeks-months and have shown no signs from Mike of suddenly being removed/changed drastically.

So someone could want to avoid current Beta headless Fortune, but soon enough that or a similar version of headless will likely be in Retail and they'd be better off learning to deal with it now than later. Can't really say the same about Robo.
Aren't you and @IsaVulpes also assuming that Robo Fortune general gameplay (the way I play her currently) is going to change drastically? I'm pretty sure her BnB combos and general gameplay strats that I am playing is going to stay more or less, but just adding her normal moves and supers is what is coming.

omw to unwatch after that response.
You think Mike is going to undo j. hk jump cancel j. hk? He is just gonna adjust the hitbox for it

Can you just look at every single beta character ever and then reconsider your "I'm pretty sure she will be staying more or less the same" statement

She already went from having an airdash to having a jumpcancel, which completely changed the entire character
If SJ jHK gets a lower height limit but goes faster left/right, she will be "a different character" again
She is kind of lacking in special moves, I am ASSUMING that she will have more than the beam
Her hurtboxes aren't finalized yet on buttons - the changing of which could drastically alter how she is played and/or countered (see: Filia jHK, Beta Eliza)
Maybe high beam won't be safe on block anymore, or maybe she gets a way to combo out of it..
All of her matchups are probably going to heavily depend on what exactly those heads of hers are going to do
Maybe even her idle/hitstun/etc hurtboxes get adjusted (for Fukua it made sense to have the same as Filia since they are the same weight, for Robo and Fortune .. it could very well be changed)
etc blabla

Fighting Robo as of now is playing against a character with 10% of her gameplan intact, and even those are tentative and likely to change

P.S. You keep ignoring the "Everything except Robo is scheduled to release sometime soonish, so it's more important to test the not-Robo stuff first" point

Isa, just let the man have his rage/rant thread. Everyone has made one at some point on SH.

Reactions: dead
Beta is so much more enjoyable than retail SG right now that I really only want to play the game on beta when possible. I also don't really want to play against Robo-Fortune until she's at least got a full moveset.

However you can solve this problem by inviting people who don't play Robo-Fortune to your lobby. If you're quick matching or just joining random lobbies, then expect to run into people who want to try Robo-Fortune. She's still a new character, of course there's going to be a lot of people playing her. There's tons of people on IRC, Steam, Skullheart, and Twitter who would be more than happy to play you without using Robo-Fortune.

Reactions: mcpeanuts
Can you just look at every single beta character ever and then reconsider your "I'm pretty sure she will be staying more or less the same" statement

She already went from having an airdash to having a jumpcancel, which completely changed the entire character
If SJ jHK gets a lower height limit but goes faster left/right, she will be "a different character" again
She is kind of lacking in special moves, I am ASSUMING that she will have more than the beam
Her hurtboxes aren't finalized yet on buttons - the changing of which could drastically alter how she is played and/or countered (see: Filia jHK, Beta Eliza)
Maybe high beam won't be safe on block anymore, or maybe she gets a way to combo out of it..
All of her matchups are probably going to heavily depend on what exactly those heads of hers are going to do
Maybe even her idle/hitstun/etc hurtboxes get adjusted (for Fukua it made sense to have the same as Filia since they are the same weight, for Robo and Fortune .. it could very well be changed)
etc blabla
But all your examples are tweaks to characters, not actual gameplay change.
I played Fukua since April 1st. I noticed and hated and was against all her nerfs or "tweaks" but her fundamental gameplay has not changed AT ALL. She still zones and creates space with fireballs and shadow.

Let's assume EVERY single one of your assumptions is right.

Robo now can't float as high, she gets hurtboxes in where she can get hit easier, and beam isn't safe on block. That doesn't change the fundamental movement/zoning/runaway of her. i'm still gonna jump HK to gain position, I'm still gonna do my dj resets, I'm still gonna call assist and zone with beam.

You make it sound like she is transforming to a new character.

This might just be me, and might not be related at all, but when you lose or do poorly against a character with a small percentage of their moveset and not-final hitboxes it doesn't feel great.

Like it doesn't make tons of sense, because having all your normals and one special doesn't really equate to handicapping yourself with an unfinished character, it can feel that way sometimes.

It's kinda conflicting when you wanna fight someone with your main team and a character the other person is playing can only spend meter by alpha countering and snapping (currently).

I know that its kinda hard to learn a new character as soon as possible when people don't wanna play against that, and that sucks. I'm not gonna turn down a person for using robo, this is just my pair of pennies.