• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Eliza Assist Discussion

hellohello123123

Reaction score
Valentine Valentine Valentine
Hey, let's talk about different Eliza assist choices here, both for and with Eliza.

I've been playing around with Osiris Spiral (H) and so far I like the range and lockdown a lot, it also has really good height and catches people off guard quite a bit.
Also, the very last hit seems to have wider range for some reason, as I've seen people get hit by only the last hit, without really doing anything (might just be me though).
With Valentine on point, you can get a free vial load off of Osiris Spiral (H), 2 free vial loads if you have hitstun level 1 vial already loaded.

I don't really like Butcher's Blade as assist, it drains meter and scales your combo by quite a bit, so I prefer Carpenter's Axe, which has big damage and doesn't scale by that much. Also, invincible overhead.

What do you guys think about Upper Khat (M)? I've been trying to implement it somehow, but it's really hard do use it properly so I feel like it might be the least favorable assist option.

In terms of assists FOR Eliza, gotta go with the low, man. She has a couple overheads, can do good mixups with that. Also useful for Sekhmet, but a throw assist might be just as good or better.

The DPs are pretty poor choices for Ensembles. The HP hits at an awkward distance, the LP hits at a sensible distance but it isn't tall enough to be anti air, and no version has the knockdown that makes Updo and Napalm Pillar so good. Dive of Horace probably works out to be a better anti air/reversal/panic button than any DP.

The throne is kinda awful as an assist. For a similar effect, you're better off with sweep. At least that has projectile armor. Either way, it causes a grey knockdown. You can only combo off it if you catch them airborne.

You can only combo off it if you catch them airborne.

Like So.

(note: this was before the speed change, but it still works just call out assist just after you do the cr mk and you should be fine.)

Reactions: sauce_fonda
I've been using Squigly (Cremation)/Bella(LNL)/Eliza(Butcher's Blade). I used Throne of Isis when you could combo off it and it was a lot better. Right now, I wouldn't use it unless you wanted to stop Peacock or something. Carpenter's Axe is good too, but I like Blade better because of the lockdown.

If you guys are wanting good assists for Eliza try sticking to either Peacock or Squigly. They both have the best synergy with Eliza in terms of assist choices and DHC-ing capabilities. So Silver Cord, Goerge's Day out or Box Car, Cremation, Arpeggio, or for Far Left Field You can pick Charge Item Drop. I like this assist because you can use it to combo off of certain situations and it can help set up power okizemes on your opponent after doing a hard knock down. I pick Medium Item drop for it's slightly longer range and it's abilty to track the opponent, the only downside is that Peacock stays out for a long time even after the item has dropped which can leave her open to getting blown up. so use it for combo extenders and okizeme setups.

Reactions: Fizzxwizz
I'm not gonna be able to try eliza for a while but what do you think about weight of anubis as an assist?

I've been unimpressed, though I think it could be good with Val. Or really anyone that uses long chains. It just comes out so slow that it feels gimmicky unless you're able to force them to block.

I feel like Butcher's Blade is actually a really good assist for Peacock. The meter cost definitely hurts but, well, you're playing Peacock. You're gonna build that meter back up in two seconds anyway. Along with that, it can act as a wall for anyone trying to get in against her on the ground, breaks a ton of armored assists like HP Brass Knuckle or Lock 'N' Load, and if you manage to hit someone or set up with oki, it acts as a free lockdown tool that also gives you a full combo to convert off of. Only downsides are the meter cost and that you can't mash it out.

I personally like to use Eliza with Butcher's Blade as an anchor while I have Peacock on point and Big Band in middle using LP Extend to cover that missing vertical assist. Gives her plenty of meter to abuse Sekhmet with and helps cover Big Band's subpar ground game.

Butcher's Blade is kind of nut on Filia. Some of the results form the armored lock down even surprised me, lots of cross ups and high-low shenanigans. Filia can also give Eliza a functional close quarter DP or other stuff.

Reactions: erkicman
In terms of Eliza as assist, Butcher's Blade is the only thing I'd choose using squigly. She can get a charge in combo, an awesome pressure tool that isn't mashable against and a really easy to do burst bait ending a combo with cr HP, assist butcher blade, cr HP (green burst) Seria Cancel and free damage on counter. Eliza has good assists overall, Dive of Horace is a huge overhead that can catch in air and I'm sure anyone can find that useful, and carpenter's axe is a overhead with armor. There you have to consider how much Bar you'll spend for calling sekhmet's assists ^^"

In terms of assists for Eliza, Take A Train HK + weight of anubis can do a nice trick on the corner, if the opponent is quick enough to jump from weight of anubis he gets caught by take a train hk, and that's a corner combo for you. Also, take a train hk allows to get a safe taunt with eliza, it isn't that important but should be mentioned.

I'm starting to think double with h. osiris spiral and eliza with bomber are a top tier team

If you're able to get osiris spiral off double can basically do a long ass mix up with j.hk,teacup and then double start building meter up really quick. It's really that good where it somewhat voids pushblocking

Reactions: sauce_fonda
My go to assist with Eliza is Butcher's Blade. If it's timed right Sekhmet will come out and adsorb hits and then deliver the hits and give me enough time to covert the assist into more damage; I love that move so much. I run with Eliza on point and Double as my anchor with the Hornet Bomber (H) assist. Hornet Bomber (H) allows me to throw it out in hopes of the opponent making a mistake and I can capitalize upon it, but I also throw it out and zone with Throne of Isis. If Throne of Isis is blocked by my opponent, I'll do Weight of Anubis on the last hit of Hornet Bomber (H). This usually catches the opponet off-guard and allows me another opportunity to convert.

I'm starting to think double with h. osiris spiral and eliza with bomber are a top tier team

If you're able to get osiris spiral off double can basically do a long ass mix up with j.hk,teacup and then double start building meter up really quick. It's really that good where it somewhat voids pushblocking

Looking at this now, I'm considering using Eliza (H. Osiris Spiral) now to lock-down my opponent. Doesn't H. Osiris Spiral leave the opponent in the same position compared to Butcher's Blade which pushes them back a bit?

Looking at this now, I'm considering using Eliza (H. Osiris Spiral) now to lock-down my opponent. Doesn't H. Osiris Spiral leave the opponent in the same position compared to Butcher's Blade which pushes them back a bit?

it leaves them in the same position

Would you play Eliza/Double or Double/Eliza in this case ? What is the best option you think ?

Butcher's blade works well with the following: bella, filia, fortune, peacock, val, pw band

Osiris works well with: soul squigs, fukua,

Carpenter's axe is good for mixups but butcher's blade kills assist and is out for so long you can confirm happy bdays with every character. So i dunno

double with spiral is good though its rocks, you can do chip setups. it works. catheads > gun spiral gun spiral etc. its nice.

spiral is kinda godlike with robo too.

>ignoring val + spiral

it's like you don't even sg

i prefer goku with val

I think Osiris vs Blade as your assist depends on your playstyle rather than the character. ie, an agressive squigly who is always in your face will prefer Osiris for the chip/lockdown, while someone who refers to stay in neutral with squigly like myself will prefer Blade because it covers a lot of horiz. distance + lockdown.

that said, Osiris DOES have a better vert hitbox and might be better against aggressive air dashers.. i'll give it a try, actually

Bruh, get on the midwest level. Squigly with Goku is godlike.

Much like Squigly's level 5, you can blame it on Fuzzy

I'm Midwest and I use Osiris Spiral :P

That said I did get someone else from Indiana to use Butchers Blade, though ideally yeah Horus is more ideal for his team.

I guess, to be fair, I used Spiral till Fuzzy showed me some of the Goku tech. Doing the fuzzy guard while calling Eliza is so goddamn hard to block

when you say goku tech you are talking about dive of horace right? i usually use butchers blade as an assist but ive been trying to use dive more with squigs. i always find building meter difficult with squigs.

yeah, goku = horace dive. The particular fuzzy setup is deep j.lk, instant overhead j.lp while calling assist, mk divekick

i never know what eliza assist to pick for anything

but for the record, horus (goku dive, bird insurance, whatever) with squigly is easy stance charge combos with sHK or sHP2 that do or don't use otg even on like double, like if you wanna do cLK cMK sHP2 sx cLK sHK Horus QCF LP walk forward cx sLP2 sHP2 Chord Grave QCF LK walk forward and get ready to stancel and do something with the horus call maybe, idk. I always just call it from the first chain, but you can treat it like excellabella and slip it in anywhere you can do sHK. Or sHP but sHK is better.

If you do it in the first chain you can do combos like

vs double cLK cMK sHK Horus QCF+LP walk forward cx sLP2 sHP2 Chord Grave QCF+LK walk forward cx sLK2 sHK (or go into sHP and stay on the ground) jLP delay jMP jHK cMP sHP2 and etc, i think you can burn both of those charges in the combo on the ground with charged DnB link and end in charge arpeggio but the grave charge uses up your otg, so i prefer to reset now that i have both charges and i get to do things with the assist other than net a charge and extend my combo

but you can just get the one free charge and make it kick stance and go straight into charged arpeggio for sliding knockdown/corner push and then start charging a stance you want (i still like charging mortis or MDP, I feel it gives me something I can release on reaction that might be decent) and start going towards them while they're knocked down

and that works with a lot of assists really

osiris might net a charge
albus (floor grab) funnily enough does. chord > albus > charge > juggle. its funny to wallbounce people.
throne can net a charge.
butchers probably does.

FWIW, Spiral has some nice stuff for Squigly, but divekick just gives too many filthy mixups.

re: butcher's blade

the thing with butcher's blade is that it gives horizontal coverage, lockdown, AND hyper armor, which is obviously very strong. The drawbacks are: 1) the startup of the move added on to the universal assist startup means you can't really call it defensively, and (more prominently) 2) it eats your meter. For this reason I think that butcher's blade is only really strong when used with a character that either doesn't need meter (or gets more out of butcher's blade than they would with meter), or can generate a lot of meter. This is why (for the short period I played eliza) I didn't use blade assist for Filia because I would run out of meter all the time (which basically meant my airgrabs were no threat), and also why I think LazyDiablos' team is so strong because Fortune not only is pretty meter-independent, but she builds back the bar lost by calling assist with a few fibers and axe kicks.

like if you wanna do cLK cMK sHP2 sx cLK sHK Horus QCF LP walk forward cx sLP2 sHP2 Chord Grave QCF LK walk forward and get ready to stancel and do something with the horus call maybe, idk.

bruh, you're gonna have to make a video of that craziness. when do you call horus? after cLK?

also yes, Blade is enough time for a charge. I used to open with that like90% of the time, but sometimes people jump over it

now i only open with it 85% of the time

FWIW, Spiral has some nice stuff for Squigly, but divekick just gives too many filthy mixups.

spiral is pretty amazing for squigs. the chip is great, along with SBO and charged arpeggio.

I play Para/Double/Eliza and spiral is great for them too.
Spiral lets para set tears out easily. And of course the catheads+Spiral chip from double.

Basically the choice between spiral or Goku is pretty much a toss-up for me, both are really good

bruh, you're gonna have to make a video of that craziness. when do you call horus? after cLK?

also yes, Blade is enough time for a charge. I used to open with that like90% of the time, but sometimes people jump over it

now i only open with it 85% of the time

You do it as listed, in my notation, if I list an assist call, the input is at the point in which it is listed. If it is TRULY relevant to the reader that the assist is called at one point, then hits at a later point, and like I said, without visual aid, it would be helpful to note that, I write it something like sHP Horus sHP (Horus Hits) QCF+LP walk forward cx sLP2 sHP2

In the case of the sHK combos, you just do launcher > assist. If you use assist macros, this is probably as simple as treating it as an extended chain sequence. cLK (button one) cMK (button two) sHK (button three) assist (button four). I mean, this is the same without macros, but I'm sure they make it easier.

With a lot of other characters, I can do the assist macro trick, but characters like Peacock may not give me the special I want due to priority reasons unless I plink it a certain way I guess and Squigly will get stancel for doing QCF + punch + kick, meaning stancel overrides even one type of special overriding another in this case. Not that stancel + assist is not useful in it's own right. But with characters that have this 'problem' I just learn to do the assist calls without slipping them into special movements.

Of course, learning various assist call timings like that gives you more options in how they will hit/are integrated into your combo.

I learn towards Para/Bypass because I can always call it with shot in combos and on block (the pushback is good and I can defend it with tears)
But when I play Para/HLnL, I have to do sHP HLnL sHP (whatever from here.) for a consistent usage of the move in combos. This is the 'call between staggerable two hit/part moves' spot.
Squigly has this with her HP, so I use it a lot, however, to get maximum launch with horus, and allow you to save otg on characters like double, calling it after launcher is much more effective, but you have to commit tighter timing. On the other hand, if horus gets blocked, you end up stance walking beneath them while they block it in the air, so that might lead to a reset? Not sure if you can make it cross up while you walk beneath them or not, I haven't looked into timings for that.

Generally these are the assist call timings I've tried to familiarize myself with;

Assist + Special input
Assist during manual two part or more moves (part 1, assist, part 2, such as para/squig HP, and val sHK3 gives various points, eliza sHP3 as well, but sHK2 too)
Assist during extended multihit move (Filia cMK > Call Fukua MClone, cHP, MClone hits from cHP > continue combo)
Assist right after a single hit move at the end of a chain (Peacock sHK > Assist, any launcher > assist such as squig sHK horus and bella cHP throne jHK (hits them into the throne) or para cHP throne jHP for a similar trick, very fancy stuff with this. Oh, and Double cHP > assist > slide, because if you run a trio, and do slide+assist input macro, unless you learn to press it so you choose which assist first but get the kara cancel from XK+MP into 4LK+MP+HK, its basically a roulette wheel, so meh. Duos don't have this issue.)
Assist hit before the last move in a chain (Peacock sometimes works better if you do like, cHP assist sHK rather than sHK assist, depending on the assist/usage)
Assist plink input with a single hit move during a combo, not my favorite nor am I good at it, but I've seen stuff like doing double cMP~HK to call an assist with her cMP, but I often find myself just doing cMP > assist very quickly instead.

Other special cases are like during stagger or special stuns. Squigly/Diamond drop and Squigly/Albus work by command grab assisting the stagger from silver chord mid combo, allowing you to net a charge and continue it. Diamond drop actually nets both charges and does fairly decent damage and is a cute alternative to the standard Squig/Excella shell that is unique to her due to the ability to enter stagger to initiate a diamond drop mid combo. Resource Char/Excella shell in general works the same, but sage made double/excella work just on the premise that excella still builds nice meter on its own and double (like any character) can whiff specials during the animation to build more free meter. So, while she does not have an explicit unique resource, she is able to make up for that by building a standard one instead. (That is very useful to her, considering the power of her supers.)

Anyways, if you intend to get a charge and reset, whether you used otg or not, whatever > chord is how squigly can snag a hit off some stray ass things and you can just raw sHK after that into horus and you'll be prepared to do so, so it won't feel like you're banking hard on first string assist calls, then charge, juggle, reset to go back to base damage scaling (since you already janked it up with chord) and start a charge based combo with a setup into a reset involving your horus assist.

But if you're snazzy enough to start all your combos with a horus charge call without silver chord right away, you can net a charge and do decent damage too. I like to play this way, but I realize for consistency's sake its probably better to do in the 2nd/3rd string and reset with the power of having charged stancel at my disposal to do so. Less profitable, but more wise? But if it's just a matter of execution/awareness rather than being bold, then just learn to call it in the first string.

I hated obscure assist call timings which is why I was drawn to assist + macro, but I realized some of them aren't so bad. I can see how swiftfox does the pea/hlnl stuff he does/(did?) because the timing for calling it to do those combos is something you actually have to learn/practice but it's not impossible.

The only thing you have to learn for para/bypass is literally to hit an extra button when you do your tear shots. Based assist macros.

Anyways, yeah, sHK > Horus is the most optimal-y way to go about it that will guarantee and easy juggle that saves otg even on double and does more damage than the others probably and blah but thats if you do it in the first chain anyways and it might be rough to do (you gotta call it quick, actually might be buffering it early even) and then does doing it later in the combo or even otging even matter if you get the stance and continue the combo and just reset anyways.

sHP Horus sHP is way more consistent in it's own way, especially for calling in the first chain since I start all my combos with sHP2 strings almost, and even still works on Double if you learn the timing for the sLP juggle. (to save otg, that is, which is basically for double stance charge combos using grave crumple, etc. or going into sliding knockdown using your charge, you could maybe use otg and use an SBO charge combo instead like nuuance's videos always had since you can juggle from that and otg is of no issue then? if you REALLY want both charges.)

long post is bad and long and full of irrelevant things. carry on

Would you play Eliza/Double or Double/Eliza in this case ? What is the best option you think ?

I used to think this team was strong like a year ago but there are a few issues with it

spiral, into catheads into spiral creates a gapless block string and that's good for people who don't know the mechanics because pushblock becomes useless but alpha counters can occur which kinda makes it bad

I suggest double first because double is actually a battery when she doesn't need meter to lock down

Been playing Fukua/Carpenter Axe because of c.mp > assist call > L shadow mixups.
Pretty fun.