• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Project [Fan Made] Custom Palettes : (Requests Open)

Can you teach me, please? I really have some palette ideas.
Step 1. Download and install Gimp
Step 2. Download a template for your character and a picture of who you want to reference
Step 3. Figure out how to use Gimp

Here's some tips.
  • ctrl+b brings up your tool bar
  • Find out how to use layers. They aren't super important, but they can be.
  • o is color sponge thing. You can use this to open other pictures in Gimp and take a color directly from a sprite or something.
  • shift+b is the paint bucket.
  • shift+o is color selector. Make sure you set the threshold all the way down so it only picks the exact color you clicked. With this you can select, say, a characters skin, then hit the n key to use the pencil, make the pencil ginormous, then quickly swipe over the picture to color in every area that has the color you selected.
  • Make sure the outline is 100% black.

Reactions: Φ
Thaaaanks, where can I find character templates?

Pretty much just grab any uploaded palette in this thread. I think most of them should work fine. You could grab, say, Mewtwo Fukua, and just open her in Gimp and start editing.

Alright. Awesome. I should go do that right now, thanks for the help, Zidiane.

Oh, also, I don't know what color editing program everyone else is using, but the Zazz maps are considered "Indexed" and I have no idea why or what that does. Other than make all the colors you get from it and add to it weird. To change it, click, Image>Mode>RGB in Gimp.

Oh, also, I don't know what color editing program everyone else is using, but the Zazz maps are considered "Indexed" and I have no idea why or what that does. Other than make all the colors you get from it and add to it weird. To change it, click, Image>Mode>RGB in Gimp.
GOD BLESS YOU, I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO EDIT THE PALETTE BASES ON GIMP AND IT DOES THAT AND I DIDNT KNOW WHY, THANK YOU SO MUCH

lol. It took me more than a minute to figure that one out. There was no indication really that it was a different mode (other than the "indexed" at the top that is easily missed). I almost thought Gimp broke the first time it happened. Still don't know what Indexed is even for.

Me too. Everything I know I learned to make the Scythana palettes. And then a few bonus exp points when making the Fukua ones.

I'm still lost on how to edit the palettes. I don't know what option to use.

EDIT: Figured it out
EDIT EDIT: Still having trouble

Last edited:
If you're doing a reference palette in Gimp, assuming that you're using the MSPaint-friendly templates, I recommend copying and pasting a picture of whatever it is you want to reference into a separate window in Gimp. Then, use the color picker tool (the O key) on the particular color in that picture you want, then use it on the template with the bucket fill tool (Shift+B).

Reactions: Φ
Thaaaaaaanks.

More D. Violet.
HS8mAAp.png
nYuN2Qz.png

1. Based on previous concept art of her.
2. Fukua. Just for fun.

And speaking of Fukua.
d45nG0k.png

If you're doing a reference palette in Gimp, assuming that you're using the MSPaint-friendly templates, I recommend copying and pasting a picture of whatever it is you want to reference into a separate window in Gimp. Then, use the color picker tool (the O key) on the particular color in that picture you want, then use it on the template with the bucket fill tool (Shift+B).
Oh, yeah, whoops, I forgot to mention this. I guess it wouldn't be obvious that you can open two images at the same time and copy colors between them.

Anyone have a Molly template? I have the PERFECT reference. Or one I would thoroughly enjoy at least.

Made three new Fukua palettes. Added them to the Album. I'm really liking this Album thing, I'm going to probably be using it all the time. You can sort them in descending order of time uploaded so that the newest ones at the front. Can some other people who've made a shit-ton of of palettes see if they can Album their palettes for certain characters? Maybe consolidating them will help, say, Lab Zero look for palettes they may want to use.

Anyway, if you don't want to open the album, here they are.
XT7Mry3.png

7HyrAmJ.png

1LDD4hp.png

Ganondorf, Starwolf, Calvin and Hobbes (Requests from the off-topic discussion in the Official Palette thread)

From what Zidiane has told me all you need to do is just download a palette for whatever character (an example would be the Fukua palette the person above you posted) and just edit over it.

EDIT: I don't know what I'm talking about, so ignore me.

@Zazz can you post/link to all the maps you've made, and any others around you can easily grab? Anyone else who's made palette maps too. I'm going to update the OP with them.

No problem. I'm thinking of changing the title of the thread too, for a long time it's been more than Rakurin's personal "I'll make you palettes" thread.

I can't wait to try my hand at Parasoul. I tried already but it ended in failure.

Oh, Zidiane, will you be adding all the palettes made and making an archive of sorts?

Oh, Zidiane, will you be adding all the palettes made and making an archive of sorts?
That's a lot of work... and if I miss any they'll be gone to everyone forever cause who would look through the thread if they thought they were all archived? And also, not everyone named their palette references, so such an archive wouldn't name every one of them. And finally, if people put all of the palette they've made into an album themselves, then they would be able to put them one by one, like the Fukua album, instead of sometimes people have two in the same picture. There's also the messy palettes that have pictures of who their referencing in the thing. Hopefully other people can help by albuming their own collections, if they have them saved still (which they should, at least on Imgur or wherever). An Archive is definitely something I'd like to happen though.

Only for Eliza.
It's every fan made palette submitted here and on the Eliza main topic. I can't say there aren't a few strays in other topics but I dare say it's a very encompassing compilation. It helps folks to know what's been done and/or simply enjoy seeing these without having to go through whole topics. And given the word that Lab Zero glance these parts for palette ideas, I thought it would be a good idea to make their life easier.

And again, the worst part is certainly starting it, especially after we let the snowball roll and get bigger and bigger. On that note, you already got plenty of work cut out for you. After that, it's just the occasional update edit.
The style of archiving is your choice. Per instances, you can just link your own contributions to your imgur album.
As for unknown submissions, well, just tag the creator and ask them. I did in a couple of occasions.

Whelp, this is going to be one heck of a summer I got set out ahead of me. Balder, can you do me a favor and put all of those Eliza palettes in a Imgur album? Order them in descending order by time uploaded so any new ones would be at the front (the time created doesn't matter, you don't have to order them by date created), and you can put descriptions in each picture that say the person who made it and the reference (if there is one). If you don't want to that's fine, all the ones you have will stay there and I'll get to them eventually. So while you do (or don't) do that I'll wrap up Fukua by grabbing the ones I didn't do, I was already working on making redoing all the Scythana palettes and then re-uploading them, since many of them were just unclean and awful, and then I'll get to work on... I don't know, Filia I guess. Anyone who wants to be nice can gather up other characters.

Here's some I thought for Filia and Fukua Kim possible and Shego for Fukua
Hey, I redid the Shego palette for the archive, mostly because it would bother me that she was jumping instead of stading as either Fukua or Filia. I also made slight alterations cause I was at it.
BheTspS.png

I gotta make that Rochelle Filia... as for Tiana Parasoul... I need a blank template before I start that.

more fufu . . . or filia. whatever.

fuu-color-few4.gif

Top Left: Dark Ash (KOF13). Ok I already did Saiki. Or something.
Top Right: GG Mode/Old Robo-Ky (original GGXX). This is the old old OLD robo-ky who had ray divider and weird normals. He was only in GGX, GGX+ and vanilla GGXX.
Bottom Row: Dive & Kick. (Divekick) Who's the clone and who's the original? I got no idea. Uhh . . . ask Keits?

Alright, so... one hour to get one character who was made a month ago. The rest of this journey should be great. Do I really have to credit every person? That's tiring. Does Lab Zero really care who made them? Either way, here's what we got.
The "me" Fukua palettes
The "not-me" Fukua palettes

Alright, updated OP. I'll be working on this bit by bit, hopefully one day it can be a glorious archive of fan palettes and templates.