• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Fenster's training thread

fenster

Stop Bugging me about Avatars ;_;
Reaction score
Steam
fensterSA
Parasoul
[Last Edit: 9/3/2015 Filia notes]

I'm going to write a bunch of stuff here in hopes that I actually go into training mode and practice stuff one day.

-----------------------------------------------

Parasoul

Current goals:

-Learn to mixup dash sLP bHK with sLP fMP, maybe sLP cMK but not sure if that works at range

-Improve detonation execution, tosses are fine

-Practice with AA cHP/sHP/cHK options

- L Egret usage in neutral experiment stuff, making okay use of bHK egret but there's probably more

-Practice using Osiris Spiral in combos for extensions or maybe even reset stuff

-----------------------------------------------

Combos to work on:

-Old jMP jHP L Tear jHK setups

-sHK corner combo stuff

-new air throw combo

-air chain detonate stuff that I always forget to practice

-practice that burst bait idea, ideally off of throw/normal bnb starters

-practice that one cool crossup idea
----------------------------------------------

Conversions to work on:

-jHP

-air toss jHP detonate confirms

Neutral ideas:

nothing recently

help ;_; need to practice against blockstrings

not sure, should play a good match and review

practice trying to make fortune whiff button + axekick in air plus whiff punishes

puzzle out ways to capitalize off of round start double back dash, see if stomp gets out of normal setups

okay lately

look out for more random bypasses, practice pbgcing blockstrings

try more dash cLK or sLP

practice doing the air throw setup

try out anti jHP stuff, specifcally when from jump back on the way down

-lab vs downbacking squigly ready to use cHP

-work on squigly air resets

Find different corner pressure

need to practice against normal resets, try out options during blockstrings

practice grab punishes on sekhmet cause I've dropped them lately, practice dash jump chicken block forward out when she approache with cHK xx thigns

Big Band

Current Goals:

-consider using ebrake -> air throw more

-find more uses for L brass in neutral and practice followups

-seriously need to lab neutral options in matchups

-practice PBGC DP and wakeup dp after jHK

-go for full combos off of stray hits instead of autopiloting brass strings

-SONGS http://pastebin.com/knvaHZvp

-practice setup options against jump forward button

-parrying assists

-probably practicing parry stuff in general

Parry Practice things:

-Para jLP jHP

-Fukua jLP jHK

-Val Air Dead Cross

-PW jMP?

Neutral ideas:

practice pbgc options after jHP

lab neutral approaches, remember to use double jump jMK, practice punishing kanchou

not sure, should play a good match and review

practice pbgc options, maybe pbgc jump air throw?

lab pbgc options on blockstrings

remember to pbgc a train and land cancel DP

practice which followup to do after punishing air bypass

nothing yet

anti air jHP stuff

should really review a match for this one

practice pbgc options on blockstrings, lab neutral options against zonign, practice parries against normal zoning patterns

try cMK L brass, practice pbgc on strings

Eliza

Current goals:

-practice pbgc DP

-practice burst baits that I can't do anymore

-keep practicing the normal combo

-practice cHK xx DP and followups

-remember to try more ground sekhmet calls in neutral, feeling good about air calls but ground calls are unexplored

-practice corner reset option followups since my combos are usually weak on the followup

-lab crossups to get a better feel from character to character

Neutral ideas:

Practice pbgc on her jHP for more options

lab neutral approaches

practice using DP better

not sure what to put here yet

practice pbgc the normal blockstring

feeling okay on this one I think

Practice Punishing Random Bypasses with sLP starter

Practice blockstring pbgc otions

cHK xx DP

lab approaches on gunshot vs jump jHP

lab anti air jHP

should review a match on this one

haen't played this in a while

practice pbgc options from blockstrings

Robo-Fortune

Current goals:

-practice trying different reset stuff

-remember to break up zoning with cHK more

-get 2 heads after zoning hidden missiles

-practice shortening bnb with using second chain cMP

-stop autopiloting jHP after select situations. I'll need to record what they are since I don't remember what it is but I keep doing after the same points all the time and it always blows me up.

-practice converting off of mines

-practice sHP xx options and get a feel for what works best in what scenario and stpo doing M danger

Neutral ideas:

practice trying to hit lk hairball
practice air to airs

lab neutral approaches

remember to dash and jump way in

use mines

practice pbgc the normal blockstring

try using more hidden missiles, maybe level 2

Practice Punishing Random Bypasses

Practice blockstring pbgc otions

try to see if I can work on anti air jHP options

nothing so far

practice trying to dash under and reacting to air super

practice pbgc blockstring options

practice anti air options

practice pbgc options from blockstrings

practice anti air options

practice empty jump block against cHK

--------------------------------------------

Filia

Current goals:

-Generally just watch more other filai footage to get a feel for better combos and reset points

-Practice converting off of throw and airthrow

-Practice how to confirm form different heights of sHP anti air

-combos using cMP?

- The jHK crossunder is from jHP ad jLP delay jHK, aafter that the combo is cLK sHP jMK x1 H hairball jMP jHK cMP jLP jLK jMP ground series finisher (no otg left)

-Consider sonicfox's strategy of using corner jHP after hairballs (sometimes hairball jMK jHP) for resets

- Try grabbing more after LnL

- Remember doing jLP jMP jMK jHP fast fall cross under reset

- happy birthday combo off of iad jLK (assumingedly also form clk) clk cmk sHP jLP jMP jMK ad jMP jHK cMK sHP jLK jMP jMK h hairball dash sLP sLK sMP snaaaaaap
-------------------------------------------

Painwheel

Current goals:

-Practice converting off of throws for every character, including variable tear positions

-Practice confirms from max height Osiris spiral and/or max height jMP

-Practice how to combo off of charged sweep

-retry learning that old PW combo with eliza extension from forever ago? I can't even remember what it was

-lab and see if/when pbgc armor buttons can be a thing.

-------------------------------------------

Last edited:
Reactions: drewski
Video Post

Basically just going to keep all the videos here as they come up. Feel free to comment on them and stuff

Old Match vs Worldjem's Filia to look at the MU. Didn't do too bad, and I've picked up on some things since then, so I don't feel as bad in this MU as I used to for now

vs a fortune player. need help badly on this one.

vs Fukua in a long, tiring, and frustrating set

Last edited:

Been having terrible trouble with Fortune lately so I wanted some advice on it. I have another set with Red Savarin, but to be honest the set looks almost the same in terms of neutral (Red Savarin def has better resets though). I'll go through and detail some things on the match later but I just want to put it up for now.

I was too lazy to actually write anything sorry:

<Stuff`> hey fenster
<fenster> yes?
<Stuff`> you do know that sneeze is a projectile right?
<Stuff`> so it's burst safe
<Stuff`> should bursted
<Stuff`> shoulda*
<Stuff`> er not burst safe I meant safe to burst
<Stuff`> I'm not sure how long burst state lasts but if you delayed it enough It probably could've slowed his momentum on you
<fenster> need to look again at what burst that is
<Stuff`> it's just full undizzy after feral edge and canceling into sneeze

<Stuff`> I don't get it this guy is all overheads
<Stuff`> that's all this guy goes for that's begging for an assist to hit
<Stuff`> also fenster this guy's game is just overhead a lot and use el gato
<fenster> yeah near the end of the set I just keep upbacking
<Stuff`> and el gato has a long enough start that maybe you could pillar maybe
<fenster> the timing on that is really annoying
<Stuff`> I'm surprised you say you can't shoot him 'cause the angles he's going in look shootable
<Stuff`> unless he's actually close but he backs up so much
<Stuff`> also probably don't go for a mixup against 5 frame jab
<Stuff`> like the second you pb the second j.hp or the j.lk just shoot him I think that can work
<Stuff`> el gato isn't going to be in range anyhow even if you can't do much afterwards
<fenster> pbGC napalm shot? uh
<fenster> what if he lands and does clk
<Stuff`> can't you shoot down
<Stuff`> I dunno I don't play your character
<Stuff`> those are just pening I see
<Stuff`> openings*
<fenster> wait, so PB the first attack and GC through the second and do MP shot?
<Stuff`> also you seem to reset him even though he mashes super like all the time
<Stuff`> whatever gets him out of range and into your line of sight yeah
<fenster> I went for resets because earllier on the set I kept trying to bait him out but non of my baits worked
<fenster> and yeha, PBGC shot is actually really slow
<Stuff`> he'll already be commiting to el gato any way
<Stuff`> I think m is like 15 frames
<Stuff`> you got time I think
<fenster> just post in the thread Stuff` I'm going to bed soon
<fenster> Midiman too, I posted that video I told you earlier with fortune
<Stuff`> after I finish my homework sure

I dunno.

Weekend report:

Getting better with cHP confirms in neutral, though I still need to get a solid combo down. At gllts sugestion, I guess I could go into jhp xx l toss JHP stuff as a fancy option, but nothing seems to work if it's max AA height which I guess I can't help.

Getting better at Napalm pillar as an actual anti air? Damn, it's horizontal range is longer than I thought.

For some reason, in matches my sMP links after the shot loop is fine, so I guess I really need to get down I solid follow up. Please practice that gllt thing

Practice NOT getting detonate on cHP stuff cause I should really stop doing that :(

I forgot to writeup about that match, huh, I should do that tomorrow

EDIT: Oh yeah, starting to get the hang of fHP L shot, what have I become?

Last edited:
So goddamn annoyed at fukua. I have no idea what the fuck Parasoul can even do to this character. I guess I need to record some set against a fukua when I'm in a good state because I could use a lot of help there. It's just so hard and I lose my shit against that character worse than any other character and I always end up making dumb mistakes and I don't know how to calm down against this stupid character. If any fukua player reads this feel free to help me out since I could use it.

So goddamn annoyed at fukua. I have no idea what the fuck Parasoul can even do to this character. I guess I need to record some set against a fukua when I'm in a good state because I could use a lot of help there. It's just so hard and I lose my shit against that character worse than any other character and I always end up making dumb mistakes and I don't know how to calm down against this stupid character. If any fukua player reads this feel free to help me out since I could use it.
You KNOW i'm here for you fenny.

Reactions: fenster
Getting better with cHP confirms in neutral, though I still need to get a solid combo down. At gllts sugestion, I guess I could go into jhp xx l toss JHP stuff as a fancy option, but nothing seems to work if it's max AA height which I guess I can't help.
j.mp > (small delay) j.hp > OTG?

if you detonate a tear with cHP there are follow up options! they're just tricky. Honestly, I just reset after it.

Tear detonated cHP jump followup into spiral flare crossup. haha.

j.mp > (small delay) j.hp > OTG?

That sounds like it might work, weirdly enough I'm already slightly used to delays on my air chains so I'll see if that works. If I can't otg at the very least I'd prefer to knock them down and have them wakeup than them come down on my from the air.

if you detonate a tear with cHP there are follow up options! they're just tricky. Honestly, I just reset after it.

Tear detonated cHP jump followup into spiral flare crossup. haha.

What I've been thinking is canceling the the cHP detonate into RC soldier. If you get them while they are in the corner I think you can combo with something easy like a sLP; on crossup in the corner I *think* I can consistently get a RC into another cHP and combo from there. The tricky part I need to look up I guess now is if I can apply that midscreen.

What I've been thinking is canceling the the cHP detonate into RC soldier. If you get them while they are in the corner I think you can combo with something easy like a sLP; on crossup in the corner I *think* I can consistently get a RC into another cHP and combo from there. The tricky part I need to look up I guess now is if I can apply that midscreen.

You can. Severin taught me that one. It's tricky midscreen but you can tear cHP Cancel dashjump stuff I think.

Set against fukua, I think I gave up on life like 4 times and almost controller dropped from bullshit like 10. Manage to record a segment where I didn't completely give up on everything. However just counting the games in the recording, that's still 11-8 and I made so many mistakes.

Last edited:
Just now writing up on that fortune match above.
0:22 - This situation comes up a lot actually, trying to advance and slowly bait out something with float and hope to catch with jHP. Maybe try Float xx Toss xx jHP instead?

0:34 - A good sign to know when I stop giving a crap: start of round napalm pillar

1:50 - Talk about Magic Pixel. Also talk about Never Give Up tm

3:36 - I wonder how well Napalm Pillar actually works against this setup? I should test it

4:26 - Look at that hitbox ;_;

5:11 - Need to remember that I'm pretty much at frame disadvantage against close fortune on blocked shots (it's actually neutral but I've always lost the mashed jab trade, maybe try cLP instead)

5:28 - In retrospect, I shouldn't have called bike here. This player doesn't have much of a Fortune ground approach and comes in from the air on his own accord, so I should've done something like walk forward, maybe tear toss after full range detonate.

5:46 - Wow, rare footage of sHKxxBike Egret

6:25 - sLP after the pushblock of the axekick, even though it worked here I'm not sure it was the best option. Nonetheless, I've never seen a fortune not continue to go in after blocked axekick, so I should look into what's a good option here. There may be time for Napalm pillar on the stand pusblock, but I also want to test cHP.

6:31 - I think this is a well placed tear but I was so scared of fortune from above I didn't use it properly. I need to remember to try L toss, wait, and cHP air approach or cMP ground approach.

7:06 - Note, this IS blockable, dunno why block didn't work, maybe remember to come down with jHP instead.

7:14 - Backed off because I knew it was too far for sLP link and sLK/cLK link, however I'm starting to think it wasn't the best option to backdash. If above all else, going for the sMP link would at least be safeish, and that range isn't too bad so perhaps just holding back would be okay to react to what they try.

7:17 - what hits me all the time: Fortune jump whiff jHK, I try to pusblock pre-emptively and get backdash and I eat a cLK. Need to practice chicken blocking punishing fortune jHK.

8:39 - I need to remember this one cause I think it's good. If fortune's want to fiber up and airdash in, I can pillar that. Worth practicing just so I can keep it in memory.

8:46 - not sure about this pillar though. I mean, I guess I could look out for Fortune double jump since I'm starting to get better at counting air options, so the moment she does something extra I can pillar.

10:05 - Tried to bait, but just held up instead of upback

13:50 - Is this punishable on block? I forget

14:36 - That same fiber approach again getting pillar'd, this time the attempted crossup

16:39 - for the record, this was a spite "Oh, you teched that other airgrab? lets see you do it again". Man, such a dumb thing to do.

17:40 - Should be noted that the reason I don't try to hit the head is that in this set the guy doesn't really use the head off very much, so I decided not to bother with practicing the fortune head punish game and just keep going in until he starts to punish air approaches with the head.

19:40 - Looking back on this, how did I even have charge for this pillar? It wasn't even from a dash buffer that sometimes happens. Also looking back on it, this was a desperation pillar more than a read I think but it's hard to say. This last round does make me consider getting more Pillar heavy against fortune in general.

That last actually was for another game which I won as well, don't remember anything significant about it other than taking it without much pressure.

End notes to think on: Try Pillaring more as anti air cause fortune might not be able to crazy dodge it easily like Filia, Pillar after fiber whiff, not worth trying to challenge fortune cLK, count fortune air options, learn to block punish jHK.

Man, things are weird when my working solution is pillar more.

Note for today, actually go into training mode and stop trying to play people so I don't get distracted.

Last edited:
Tips from guitalex from that Fukua match, gonna go over it later:

-never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever jump at fukua with something other than j.LP. even that is risky

-when fukua whiffs or you block a j.HK up close and she does fireball, pushblock the fireball,
that, or prepare a pillar since neither of those are overheads

-try most resets against fukua in the air too, that is, as long as you know the window is tighter than 8f <--- really keep this one in mind, my air resets suck

-thankfully this is easy to test. go against fukua in training, save a recording of HK then set to play as reversal and try some air reset

-pushblock early in the MK. won't gain you ground but it will gain you frame advantage

Getting a lot more consistent with the sMP link, but I guess I'm actually bad at the other stuff after? Need to practice the dash sLK from farther distances cause that's been getting me midmatch. Also need to practice different followups cause holy crap this old one really isn't that good, I can see why it never really took off. Directly stealing from Woofly (shoutouts to woofly <3), jLK jMP etc should be possible though hopefully without the level 3, and there should be sHK with sMP detonate too.

Haven't felt well about my neutral playing lately in general, I dunno how to describe it yet though.

I should also put down that I should go back and really just practice both the jLK jMK jMP air reset, as well as just playing with counterhit with that setup since the burst bait is a decent but not good enough mixup.

Not been trying to do anything serious with SG for the recent times while I sort out some RL stuff/catch up on other games so haven't been training stuff like I should. That said I still messed with some silly stuff in training mode.

Dumb Burst Bait

Dumb but fun way to end that combo, and of course it doesn't do like any damage

Random notes from watching too much SG today:

- after jHP, try another jLP, esp against fukua

- after a M shot ahainst PW when she absorbs with armor, try jLP

- maybe sniper shot against airborn fukua?

-also maybe after block jHP, dash fLP more

I did see that actually, thought it was cute, makes me think gllt had something similar but its hard to remember all his stuff. I'm just really bad at mid-air tear toss->bomb jumping off of it though I should really get that down pat.

May as well throw this video here, who needs Beowulf tag when we got BB?

Gonna update the OP and bunch of stuff soon, getting back into training mode.

Finally went over the old Fukua match

0:28 - note that the fireball was chicken blocked but I didn't pushblock and I land canceled to do a rising jLK, maybe worth doing more

0:35 - keep in mind new mixup ideas after that far sLP burst

round 2 in general, yeah I was really off that day

round 3 wow how did I get by those 3 dumb l shadows?

6:45 - lmao that trade, fukua is fair

round 4 I think I was playing too much with tosses when I should know better that it doesn't work in this MU

9:49 - I go for the low reset but he upbacks? need to test that out but that never happens

12:28 - once again, new situation I need to remember that I can go for a reset here instead of waiting for them to burst

13:39 - maybe go over how to handle this chicken block better

26:20 - after blocked spiral flare, I should just go for air throw or something cause dash cLK never catches the upback on the read

27:03 - this moment is pretty awesome if technically it was techable

29:13 - this would've been the coolest thing ever had I gotten the confirm, part of what I mean in that I need to practice my jHP confirms

In general, this match really is nothing but a slop fest and should be a sign that I shouldn't get so frustrated or I beat myself rather than lose to the opponent. I go for way too many floats and make too many dumb decisions on resets and a lot of punishable things messed up for one reason or another. A bunch of the bullshit from here has been changed in the beta, so that should help a bit, but in general I needed to be more awake.

Less helpful than I thought but all I can do is move on.

Oh um. @fenster Y'know, the title. "Mashing Pillar." Why not have 4 Pillars in a combo with one meter.

Wow I can't believe I forgot something so basic in my Eliza play I really need to write it down: when using sHP in neutral, cancel into Divekick when they jump above. Or Maybe Spiral too? Just remember I can cancel into things that aren't H DP.

How are you using s.HP in neutral with Eliza? Every time I see anyone just tossing it out there, they end up just getting whomped for it, either because it's so slow that an opponent can cover a quarter of the screen and still hit you before it comes out, or because it whiffs entirely.

How are you using s.HP in neutral with Eliza? Every time I see anyone just tossing it out there, they end up just getting whomped for it, either because it's so slow that an opponent can cover a quarter of the screen and still hit you before it comes out, or because it whiffs entirely.

Not a solid idea yet, testing it out still while figuring out Eliza Neutral. I just want to remember that tip above as a means to make it safer while I figure out how to use it better.

So far, I like it in the cerebella MU when you've got them grounded (Bella doesn't do so well against Eliza in the Air if you use your air buttons and air throw effectively), when Bella's start using titan knuckle/lnl for their approach because while spacing DP works to cover bella's titan knuckle range it can also be reflected. So by using sHP, you can briefly in that spacing/moment have the guess be between sHP/DP vs bella's titan knuckle/deflecter. Remembering to cancel into an AA helps if Bella decides to jump over at least to avoid the situation. It's still in development, but thats how I've felt lately against playing other bella's.

http://www.twitch.tv/eightysixed/b/584721441?t=2h19m45s
I wanted to do some kinda analysis on it and started out, but then I didn't really feel like I could say anything ~.~
This is what I got:

-----

- You did jHK into stuff and buttons a lot and he was always blocking + assistcall; switch to Throws sooner
- 2:21:15 No idea how you got hit there.. or what your gameplan was; Tearshots are risky though a few are fine, but then just dashjump in with either jLK to beat his slowass jHP, or just block since he can't really do things and won't random airthrow at that distance? Dashblock is also fine to advance but yeah, you really shouldn't get hit by that falling jHP

Not much to say really.. I didn't feel like you had issues in the matchup per se or got out neutraled or whatever

You got into all the good spots, but didn't go for throws at all and didn't overhead either, so he just downbacked and was safe
On the other hand when he was in a decent position you got hit by stuff like falling jLK, low/throws etc every time, and he converted his hits a lot harder than you did when you got some

IF anything I feel like you could've handled the Double Assist better (PBGCs, bait/whiffing it out, stuff); it sure didn't seem (to me!) like Fukua was a problem in neutral

-----

Like.. you got in when I felt you should be in, and then you misread what he was gonna do, but obviously it doesn't make a lot of sense to post a timestamp with "You shoulda downbacked here" - so imma not do that

There just isn't much to say about Neutral against Fukua.. and it's 8 am and I haven't slept at all, which doesn't help I suppose? Sorry for not being able to help much :<

I will respond to above post probably soon!

In the meantime, yay I finally got a set with Taluda where I won more than 2 games! Still lost badly but for once I actually felt like I improved and had some confidence that I can *learn* something in this game and get better for once, which I guess is the most important thing. Mostly going to put up the set to compare with older sets but it'll also remind me of a bunch of bad decisions too.

Non-Gameplay notes: Wow wtf how did I mess up my resolution/aspect ratio in encoding, oh well at least I got the damn thing out. Next time, only edit something when I actually do well in a set.

Anyone, feel free to comment. I haven't rewatched it yet and I'll make a post with my own notes waaay later but some things I felt from the match just after it happened: too many overheads in neutral, not patient enough against painwheel esp when she flies away, still lacking a solid gameplan against painwheel. In general I felt my resets weren't on point so I need to keep that in mind. Also I think I tried to bait out him doing super too much; it worked a bunch of times and I was right but near the end I wasn't realizing that he stopped reversaling as much.

I need to really get around to the million things I have to do (like comment on other peoples stuff, update my thread, actually watch my videos....) :(

Until then, I can't find anywhere else useful to post this but I want to remember this adorable burst bait that I should use at least once in casuals or something.

^ tfw you burst fullscreen and get punished by sniper shot

Reactions: fenster
Wow last post months ago rip. Updated first post with stuff

To generalize stuff from up there and a as a log thing:

-on personal playing, need both spend more time in lab to practice scenarios and reviewing matches while starting to take notes, writing stuff down will probably help me remember things better. My video projects are close to down so I should get better about this soon.

-stop getting so heavily discouraged from my losses. I should remember that people can always come back later, like PR Rog losing to Kazunoko 7-1 at Master series (5-1 before he went to evil ryu) only to beat Kazunoko at Evo.

-Parasoul play is getting tighter, but I shouldn't neglect that I should look into optimization one day.

-Eliza, SUPER rusty and lazy, I really need to get into the groove with her more but I dunno how to jumpstart my game with her.

-BB I feel much better about combos and resets now, but I really need to nail down better neutral approaches for certain MUs that are killer. Almost all my notes from every MU is basically: need to actually practice pbgcs

-Robo and Filia are both super fun, but I dunno how far I want to invest into them because I don't enjoy them like my other trio/duos and I don't feel like they are currently helping me with MUs that I currently struggle with.

-PW, on the other hand, is super fun to play and I at least have a basic combo sequence down so I think I'll be putting a little more time into her. I seriously need to clean up my inputs though, cause just today I randomly got taunt when I wanted to go in with pressure?

Reactions: gllt

Your order has arrived!
I left the bit in about the c.lk combing off of the tear explosion to show you how much frame advantage you have to work with. you can also cross up again with a spiral flare if you would wish to

One thing I need to get better about in my filia play is how to get around/deal with people who keep pressing buttons to low profile IAD jLK as pressure/mixup, specifically squiggly/filia/fukua are usually the kinds of players to press buttons but some other characters do it too. My Other characters usually have okay enough time during resets, but my resets with filia are super bare and I really need to learn some different ones that cover different options, and I don't exactly know or see what other filia players do against this stuff.

Also I really wish I knew air throw resets with filia, I really need to get to get some of those since they are super useful but I don't know all the options you have to get them.

Last edited:
if you want to smack me around over the weekend that might be okay. going to be running a Robo Kitty team. Most likely Cerebella anchor with erm... diamond drop assist?

Sure, anyone is free to play me, you just need to ask (preferably when I'm already in game). But we can try and get in a set this weekend since you asked.

You know that Filia mixups have really big holes in them making pressing buttons a viable escape option. In particular the one you use a lot is something into j.mp fast fall. You have 4 options off that to reset. All of them will lose to reversals. If you want help with Filia resets I'd be more then happy to show you some.

I actually don't do fast fall resets lol (on purpose anyways, I only vaguely know that you can sometimes use jHP for a fast fall), but yes sure I'd be more then happy to see more filia stuff. Also I guess I'm not used to people pressing buttons out of filia resets since aside from the occasional Eliza jLP/jLK usually I don't think my characters have the best buttons/hurtboxes for that so I never think about it when I think about filia resets.

like josh said, a lot of filia's best resets will lose to reversals. The key I think is that most filia reset can beats mashing because fast fall stuff you can make them recover a bit off the ground so they get hit in landing recovery if they try to mash a ground reversal. Of course they can time a reversal to come out when they hit the ground but that requires at least a bit more thought on the part of your opponent.

Almost all of filia's best resets come from fastfalling in one way or another. Fastfall j.mp with j.mk or j.hp (I use j.mk, I think j.hp is a bit slower but I can't prove it) when low to the ground and you can fastfall j.mk with j.hp under specific circumstances (I've memorized which points in my combos I can fastfall j.mk but I don't remember what you have to do, something about your momentum either going up or down). IAD j.lk on an airborne opponent makes you fall first, whiffed airthrow can also make you fall fast. In my experience Filia's crossunder stuff can be falling jabbed out of but other than that I haven't had a lot of trouble with people pushing buttons (other than invincible specials) out of my resets. Squigly c.lk low profile but that's all I've really noticed, if they are trying to low profile you then your c.lp is 6 frames and super plus on both hit and block, easily one of filia's best pressure tools IMO.

edit:
with regard to airthrow resets, I don't use them much outside of the corner. The main ones I use are after a fastfall to crossunder kind of thing, if I think they will be pressing jab I'll jump and airthrow (meaty j.mp beats throw so you can do kind of a 50/50 with that if they start teching), or after c.mp stuff sometimes. j.mk (1 hit) adc throw is an easy one but that uses airdash so you can't convert without gregor. Also of course if you're too high you need to use gregor to get a combo too, and since you use your OTG picking them up most of the time you lose a lot of resources to combo off of airthrow which is why I don't do it much, in the corner however it's much easier to convert without meter.

Last edited:
So wow it's been a while. Lots of things happened, so many things I didn't document here and etc, maybe I should do an update to the OP cause that would be fun.

As for character stuff, Filia is fun, but aside from the Peacock MU I felt like I wasn't getting much benefit and I wasn't interested in practicing/learning filia combo/resets at the time so I put a hold on her. I like PW a lot and maybe in the future I'll start trying her again since I feel like I have solid neutral but need to learn real combo/resets.

I've been putting more time into Peacock, and Peacock is surprisingly fun to play once you get over the initial hurdle of learning a combo. But while I like playing team TJ, I'm thinking that it might time to experiment with a different team. It covers peacock ideally well and I'd like to get out of my comfort zone, and plus I hope it doesn't seem like I'm trying to rib on anything from TJ since I was just being lazy and went with 2 characters I didn't play much that kind of worked together.

So basically, what peacock team combos have people not seen before or would like to see more of that I could mess with? I was thinking maybe Squiggly and Peacock since peanuts abandoned it which is sad and Triviality seems to play on/off. Val also seemed fun from that Slapfest Val session a while ago, which is what Amabane uses and that might have some cool stuff to explore.

So basically, what peacock team combos have people not seen before or would like to see more of that I could mess with? I was thinking maybe Squiggly and Peacock since peanuts abandoned it which is sad and Triviality seems to play on/off. Val also seemed fun from that Slapfest Val session a while ago, which is what Amabane uses and that might have some cool stuff to explore.
So, the idea with Peacock/Squigly/Big Band was like "I want to play Peacock with Brass, and I need to play three characters cause it's strictly better than playing duo" (I no longer believe that but it's what I thought at the time) "so I'll play Squigly because she's the only character who can always convert off Brass" (at the time the only DLC characters were Squigly and Big Band). The issue I ran into was that Peacock gets hot nothing off Squigly assist. You can use Squigly assist for the vortex, but I've since found that you can set that vortex off using tons of assists that are more useful for Peacock in neutral or defensive situations, so that's not a good enough reason to have an assist on my team. If you can find a way to make Peacock and Squigly work I'll eat my hat but I really feel like those characters are hard to play together.

Valentine with Peacock is probably pretty cool, she probably gets a lot off any of the bomb assists. As far as other teams... the thing I do with Double s.HP xx tag to Peacock also works with Eliza (s.HKx2) and Bella (f.HP), I've thought of messing around with one of those characters in the front and Peacock somewhere in the back. Haven't really seen anyone doing that. Also, all the bomb assists are really good for neutral, but if you found some way to use them for a setup or to convert off things you normally can't, then you'd really be cooking with gas. For example I figured out that Big Band can convert off full screen H Giant Step by calling L Bomb just before the Giant Step (the bomb hits OTG and you have time to dash up and combo). I'm sure there's other things out there like that.

If you can find a way to make Peacock and Squigly work I'll eat my hat but I really feel like those characters are hard to play together.

Good point, what was the squiggly assist btw? It was DnB I believe?

As far as other teams... the thing I do with Double s.HP xx tag to Peacock also works with Eliza (s.HKx2) and Bella (f.HP), I've thought of messing around with one of those characters in the front and Peacock somewhere in the back. Haven't really seen anyone doing that.

Hmm, that's actually something I forgot about. I had considered Eliza + peacock but I was assuming it was peacock point. I'd like to try out more Point Eliza, so maybe I should think about Eliza and peacock like that.

Good point, what was the squiggly assist btw? It was DnB I believe?
Yeah it was DnB. You can use c.HP but it's less consistent (although c.MK didn't pull them in back when I played these two characters, maybe it's more consistent now).