• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Fire Emblem

Reminds me, I need to check if Fates actually has DLC stage music added to the jukebox. Because if not...I swear I am going to rant...

Strongly disagree. The game goes from fun time Anime hijinks to mass sacrifice to summon a dark god, war orphans discussing the moral implications of time travel, and personal sacrifice vs the good of the world. As for motivation, let's take it a character at a time.

Well, as for the sacrifice, I think it's that it (presumably?) worked that was weird (and that's a bit of the general weirdness of the end game). I actually liked a bit of creep-factor from that since it was a nice end-result of the creeping sense of dread they were building over time with the constant Grima and Grimleal foreshadowing they had been doing throughout the game.

That and the personal sacrifice thing aren't really out of place with a "fun" straight forward adventure. I mean look at OT Star Wars: not exactly deep entertainment, mostly swashbuckling fun, but it has its share of both levity, very dark moments (an entire planet is destroyed in the first half of the first episode! It's pretty much genocide!), and grander themes about morality and such. Not that Awakening is as well executed as Star Wars, but it's cut from the same cloth tonally and I feel that part of the game works.

I don't want to get too deep into defending a subpar story buuuuut...

Chroms's motivation for the first bit is 'man, I hate Plegia and love my sister, but my sister's dumb war policy won't let me invade Plegia'. After she 'died', his motivation was ostensibly to carry on her sisters memory, which he does a hell of a job of, after joining an unrelated war and routing Valm'a entire army because some French guy he kinda knew told him so.

Eh, as I remember, he hated what Plegia was doing but didn't really want to fight. He basically ends up doing it out of necessity and through character development comes to accept himself as less soft then his sister and willing to do what needs to be done, but not an asshole warmonger like his father.

But we can all agree Valm was stupid as hell in every regard.

The only villain whose motivation even kinda makes sense is Walhart, who wants to unite Valm to wipe out Plegia. None of the Grimleal make sense, their entire religion is about killing themselves to summon a dark god to blow up the planet. Even if you assume that the citizenry were taught a different version, which is the only way that makes any kind of sense, Validar still has nothing. Grimia just wants to destroy everyyhing, for no reason other than we need an apocalyptic threat.

Believe it or not, Validar is actually the best one to me. Indoctrinated into a cult since birth, he ultimately just wants a "better" existence for his child, albeit in the most twisted way possible. Would be cooler in a better executed story, but as is, he's better to me then Wallhart who's problem is that he has no connection to the protaganist's and doesn't get any kind of characterization till AFTER he's dead and out of the story.

Otherwise I don't have a problem with Grima and Grimleal, conceptually. Grimleal is a classic psycho cult, and makes about as much sense as most real life psycho cults, presumably they thought they'd get some afterlife reward out of it. Grima is CthulhuSatan and there to give a little bit of dread and greater scope to the game. All fine conceptually, and would work in this kind of straight forward story (as opposed to Fates where Garon fundamentally fucks the whole point of the story) , it's just the execution that's the problem.

I will say I do like how they were foreshadowed frequently and given a sense of building dread (similar to the constantly encroaching zombie/monster apocalypse in Sacred Stones). Just not happy with the pay off.

The game is also full of ass-pulls. Basilio is alive, despite the fact he got crit'd for 80. Despite the fact that Robin's dumbass plan worked perfectly because Robin is always right, Grimia can just summon themself, completely negating the need for anything in the game. Gangrel is alive, and willing to ally with the family that he hates most. Walhart is alive, and willing to join with the people who crushed his dream. Yen'fey is alive because lol outrealms. Emmyrn is still alive, because l, just... Jesus Christ, it's so dumb. Robin is still alive, because thus games writing is awful.

Aside from maybe Basilio which I think kind of works as a "slight changes effect the whole timeline" type of thing (partially, Robin's "plan" is still bad*), I agree with the rest.

*What I hate most about it is that it breaks the whole logic of the game in that the player avatar does A LOT OF STUFF that the actual player is totally unaware of. I could appreciate it if the idea was that Robin becomes a separate entity from the player through character development over time, but I highly doubt they were going for something like that.

Grima summoning himself was so bad, yes. You can tell how rushed the whole game had become by that point. They needed you to fight the final boss but they had written themselves into a corner, heh. Game should have ended with Validar's death.

As for everyone else being alive, like I said the game is improved a lot if you pretend all the spot pass stuff is non-canon.

I can see where your coming from and I mostly agree. To me Awakening represents a lot of good ideas and then kinda shits the bed midway through. First "arc" is actually really good IMO, feels like classic "iconic" FE with a lighter tone (which was a nice breath of fresh air for me, after coming to it from a ton of ultra grim dark games heh). But after that it gets filled with pacing issues, bad plot points, deus ex machina's, out of character moments, an entire "filler" arc, etc. Fates to me is the same but much more extreme: the first 5 chapters are interesting and then after that it takes an incredibly fast nose dive.

Last edited:
'Bout damn time.

hope you like paying real money for a waifu when the goo- well, "better" ones are in the base game

hope you like paying real money for a waifu when the goo- well, "better" ones are in the base game
YOU SHUT YOUR DIRTY WHORE MOUTH.

THIS GAME HAS MANY QUALITY WAIFU'S!!!!!!!!!

The game has a few well written characters, and the majority of the main cast are at least likable. A lot of them dont feel like they devolve into just a single character trait, but that's about the most praise I can give the character writing.

Also, anyone else played the Hidden Truths DLC yet? Is it just me or does it feel like it was written after the main campaign? Cause it just kinda...creates more problems than answers...like why the Awakening Units (since they are the focus) don't just work to get the Nohr guys on your side from the word go, regardless of the side you chose?

Hidden Truths told me more about Fates story than Fates.

like why the Awakening Units (since they are the focus) don't just work to get the Nohr guys on your side from the word go, regardless of the side you chose?

I think the implacation is that they were originally there for Corrin, but eventually grew to care for their lords over their mission.

I think the implacation is that they were originally there for Corrin, but eventually grew to care for their lords over their mission.
That still doesn't feel right to me. Cause they keep acting like they'll go back to their world after it all. I know it's supposed to be something like this, but the fact that their knowledge is never addresses and they dont work to get their Lord's into your side in order to prevent the world destruction which would guarantee the Nohr family safety seems a bit iffy. Its the fact that none of this is addressed in the main story or really touched upon with the rest of the cast even in supports as far as I'm aware that really irks me. Its plot holes like that, where they create a connection but don't do anything with it that makes it feel empty to me. Empty and half hearted for the sake of having 3 versions

It definitely was an afterthought. It seems pretty obvious they decided to add a backstory to them only after they wrote the main games, considering the plotholes. It did really bother me as well that they never mention their connection to Corrin or even their awareness of Valla. I would've much rather them never address the reason they're there directly, and only hint at it, like in their supports.

or even their awareness of Valla.

To be fair, the curse would have killed them if they ever mentioned Valla, and presumably also if they said 'The king of Valla brought us to protect you.'
There's no reason they couldn't have just been really vague about it though, like everyone else who knows about Valla, but that might just be because they're dumb.
I still love em', though. LazlowxOdin is among my favorite supports in the series.

Well we don't know how specific you have to be in order to trigger the curse. But yeah, that, mixed with glaring a plot hole they had with Lilith just makes me bleh.

Also, I realized something. The majority of your units, at least on the Nohr side, don't die when they are defeated in battle. Which makes wonder why they didn't have more of your allies chime in during cutscenes to help evolve everyone more. There's a specific and contrived plot point this is meant for in the Nohr route with Iago finally causing us despair after the first allies death...but that just ends up annoying me because I also realized cutscenes are pretty short and almost all of 3 things:
1: exposition
2: forced family drama
3: saying high to ally or villain of the stage.

And my mind flashes back to Radiant Dawn which had longer cutscenes, but they had actually meat to them. Sorean went over the battle plan and banter and discussion played out. It wasn't just fluff before a fight. And my last realization from this: Awakening also mostly only had those 3 types of dialogue...huh...

Reactions: Meow-Professor
most dad units retreat after you S-Rank them with someone because they had their paralogue unlocked to recruit the babbies. the story scenes for the paralogues have the dads talk to their babbies and be like "hey" and stuff
Awakening was the same way with mothers since you would have had time paradox if they up and died

Which makes wonder why they didn't have more of your allies chime in during cutscenes to help evolve everyone more.
This would be great. Only a few characters are actually relevant in the story/cutscenes, which is part of why the story feels very bland to me. However, it can be argued that the lesser-relevant characters (the retainers) wouldn't want to interrupt the royal family while they're speaking with each other, but that doesn't mean there couldn't be variation on what actually happens in the cutscenes, and who is in them. They all feel very similar.

To be fair, the curse would have killed them if they ever mentioned Valla, and presumably also if they said 'The king of Valla brought us to protect you.'
There's no reason they couldn't have just been really vague about it though, like everyone else who knows about Valla, but that might just be because they're dumb.
I still love em', though. LazlowxOdin is among my favorite supports in the series.
Imo, there are two big issues with how they treat their relationship to Valla. It really bothered me after playing Hidden Truths that the three of them never tried convincing the royal family from Nohr to join Corrin in Revelations. That, and once they actually get to Valla, they never say anything about their ties to it.
I do think they're great, though. Laslow and Odin were my favorite characters from Awakening, and they are in Fates as well. Selena's fine too, but I personally find tsunderes really grating.

[video]
Everything about this fits so well. I still always end up watching it whenever it's posted.

Wowie zow,a post in this thread!
Is revelation even worth finishing
I deleted my save at chapter 21 by accident,and I just gave up because by then I had like all the kids and all my units were gods,so I lost all hope and gave up on the game
Should I pick it back up and finish it?

So anyone exited for Fire Emblem Warriors, or is everyone Warrior fatigued from Hyrule? Personally I'm exited, for it though I only played through 2 and half of the games and only one was apparently in line with some sort of main line cannon. Though the characters of the other Emblems interest me and I can't help but wounder what characters will be playable other than the 5 main lords they teased. please have Lute please have Lute

Lets be real...we're probably gonna see a ton more fates and awakening chars than they have any right to use... I just hope Laguz are their own units and have unique mechanics....if they get in (I will riot if Ranulf is left out.)

Call me cautiously optimistic at this point. I'm generally a fan of Muso games, and obviously I love Fire Emblem, but the trailer, plus the explosive popularity of the 3DS games against the more obscure original titles has me a little worried about this being the big crossover game I really want it to be. From the trailer, Chrom, Corrin, Xander, Marth, and I'm pretty sure Ryoma are locked in. If we assume that the starting cast will be 13 characters like it was in Hyrule Warriors, that leaves 8 empty slots to be filled. Just counting the remaining Lords in the series (As in, main characters in the story, not necessarily the Lord class), there's still Alm, Celica, Sigurd, Seliph, Leif, Roy, Eliwood, Hector, Lyn, Eirika, Ephraim, Ike, and Micaiah.

At minimum, you would need to cut out five characters from that list (If I had to guess, I'd probably say Alm, Celica, Leif, Seliph, and Roy, all of which would seriously suck if they were cut), and that's making 2 very big assumptions, (A) that the roster will be at least 13 characters, and not something like the Berserk Muso's 8, or somewhere in between, and (B) that other Awakening characters besides Chrom won't be getting in, and considering Lucina and Robin's popularity, I don't think that it's likely that'll be the case.

They could include more than 13 characters, but even if they bump the roster to the full 18 it would take for all of the Lords, that leaves basically no room for any side characters in the starting roster until you start giving main characters the snub. Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I can very easily see modern-day IntSys and Nintendo dropping the main characters from older games like Genealogy, Thracia, and Gaiden in favor of more easily marketable but less important side characters from Fates or Awakening, which at least in my opinion would suck hard for long-time fans of the series.

there's also the chance that some characters could get cloned movesets
like is anyone really gonna complain if Abel and Oscar play the same

Okay, but if Able is going to be in, then pick a sixth character to chop from that Lord list. You want Canas? Pick a seventh. Maybe a transforming unit like a laguz or taguel unit? Chop off eight. The 3DS games using up four slots, maybe even five or six, leaves the entire rest of the series to fight for scraps, and one or two of them are absolutely going to get snubbed in the roster, and that's a real shame.

nah I'm expecting a heftier roster to start with
I'm gonna say that it's gonna have a 18-20 starting roster with about 1/3 of that being Fates (Corrin, Azura, Xander, Ryoma, Camilla, and Takumi), 4 Awakening characters (Chrom, Lucina, Robin, and Tharja), and a smattering of others characters (Marth, Ike, Hector, Micaiah?, Lyn?, i don't fuckin' know)

Zelda Musou had the deal with multiple weapons per character, while FE has characters able to use different weapons I imagine they'll stick to one per character and stretch it out to a larger base roster

Ya I'm not worried about about character count as Musou games don't really have that big of problem with character count, other than Hyrule. (As far as I'm aware) Like take the gundam games for example.

I had a major freakout when I saw the trailer despite no actual gameplay being shown! I've waited so long for this when they started asking around for which Warriors games we'd like to see.

please have Lute please have Lute

Seriously! I *need* Lute or maybe even Nino in this game as a mage rep. I could list a bunch of characters I'd want but I'd mostly be picking them from 7.

Alas, we'd probably mostly get Awakening/Fates characters, but I'm hoping we could extend beyond that. Part of the reason TMS made me cringe and not want to play it was due to only 2 games getting any character reps.

Also, shouldn't we be considering boss/villain characters? I've really only played Hyrule Warriors but I figured some of the bad guys would be playable.

Reactions: TheGoggledGamer
Yeah getting over 20 character shouldn't be too hard when most of them can easily just be reskins.

They could probably ditch unique movesets per character entirely and make it a matter of different characters having different stats (move speed, damage, defense, ect.) and weapons being where the moveset comes from.

There is no hope. Nintendo cannot be trusted

all is lost

clones would make the game boring faster than most musou games

More respectful to the original than TMS, that's for sure

I wouldn't be opposed to clone movesets for the sake of crossover variety, though I doubt that they'll radically change the formula for the game. Maybe the Berserk Musou is just making me paranoid, I don't know.

A Fire Emblem-focused Direct has been announced for the 18th

Direct starts in a half hour, estimated to be 21 minutes long.

Fire Emblem Gaiden (a.k.a Fire Emblem 2) Remastered as Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valencia for 3DS with 2 Amiibos as the Sibling main charcaters coming for 3DS, Fire Emblem Warriors coming for Switch & 3DS with the full Chrom Trailer, Fire Emblem for Switch coming later this year, and Fire Emblem Heroes for Mobile Devices.

A full Direct alright. Covered all the bases.