• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

First fighting game, oh boy.

@Liam Oh that sounds optimal, but knowing my reckless playstyle I'll definitely screw up the timings and just get both characters killed at the same time, though that's part of the learning process probably.

Sorry, do you mean that it's easy to hitconfirm H LNL > jMK? Or the other way around? And at what point can you stick H LNL into a combo?
Like you just call H LNL while you go for the jMK

Normally when jMK hits:
You can guess if it hit and then go into drop kick, but if even when that hits sometimes it bounces them too far away.
You can spend 1 bar for Timpani on reaction but the timing can be tight.
You can do a 1F link into jLK.

Calling H LNL as you go for the jMK lets you convert off it into a super powerful starter (jMK + hLNL are free and Stage 1) and if they block it, you can still land and do more mixup like fuzzy jLK probably or standard L Step / cLK / Throw.

I met the coolest of cool dudes Mocktopus and Fenster. It was kinda funny playing the same team versus Mocktopus, he kicked my ass and I enjoyed every second of it. They've been very nice with Mocktopus giving me some advice and Fenster beating the shit out of me, I think in total he had ~30 wins and I had like 7.

I learned something from Liam that I've been putting into use, that you can punish Beast of Gehenna.

Need to work on more Big Band. Lots of times the opponent will snap him in since they know I'm not very good with him, and when I manage to get a hit I can't do much other than some basic combos. Not saying that learning complex and/or flashy stuff is necessary, but I don't know how to convert off of some hits, and I forget about half the tools Big Band has sometimes (how do I use Cymbal Clash). I have no idea what to do from his airthrow and stuff like L Step. Getting as comfortable with him as I am with Bella is going to take a really long time.

Positive stuff:
-managed to close the gap on a Robo-Fortune with Big Band alone on two separate occasions using his jMK glide and jHK ground tech. It felt good. Now to do that versus a beta Robo (lol)
-Finally started trying to get the motion for Ultimate Showstopper down on keyboard. I can ALMOST do it reliably in punishable situations, like after Beast of Gehenna, but I can't mash it reliably. Hitbox controllers are so expensive and they seem like they'd be too big for my tiny hands. I think a mechanical keyboard would be ideal for me. I don't plan on attending any tournaments in the near future; I'm definitely nowhere near the skill level required plus I'm too shy and nervous anyway, plus keyboards are very familiar.
-Managed to PBGC punish Fukua's fireball super as Big Band.

Bad stuff:
-Still very awkward in defensive situations. I get scared to do anything and the opponent can just waltz in.
-Still very awkward in neutral. I gotta get out of the mindset of "neutral = just jump in and jMP lol"
-No idea how to work with Big Band's beta stuff. Most of the stuff I have down right now is only in retail.
-Slow reaction times. A Parasoul will whiff a throw right in front of me and by the time I process "hey I can MGR that" it's too late (this happened like four times in the same set)
-stop calling beat extend every other second you keep getting birthdayed

I was thinking of doing a kind of commentated progress video like Skodial, since I haven't had anything like that since my first post in this Training Diary. I don't really know what to put in it but it might be fun

Band has HELLA buffs in the beta and many are aimed at the Robo match up.

Check the notes there's a lot to look forward to, parries are especially helpful and silly easy.

Band has HELLA buffs in the beta and many are aimed at the Robo match up.

Check the notes there's a lot to look forward to, parries are especially helpful and silly easy.
Are the parry buffs that significant to Big Band? I thought that the buffs to Robo in the Beta would outweigh the buffs to Big Band by a longshot, considering jMK is different now. Though I don't actually know how the change to jMK affects Big Band aside from losing the jMK loops.

Are the parry buffs that significant to Big Band? I thought that the buffs to Robo in the Beta would outweigh the buffs to Big Band by a longshot, considering jMK is different now. Though I don't actually know how the change to jMK affects Big Band aside from losing the jMK loops.
Yes they far outweigh the Robo buffs.
Mike thinks the Robo vs Band is the worst match up in the game so there's a ton of things to help.

I think it's extremely easy for Big Band now he just needs to make one good read.

jMK Loops / Spin doesn't matter vs Robo it was never a good tool to use in neutral and in combos there's plenty of other routes.

Like here's some buffs that help vs Robo:

- H Step is faster for disrupting any ground zoning tools.
- jHK has 8f less landing recovery any time it is not chained into and doesn't make contact with anything before landing. This lets him press jHK just before he lands so he can quickly invincibly tech forward into Robo's space (and then wake up with something invincible or armoured or just jab or do whatever he wants).
- M A-Train armor hits 1 -> 2; H A-Train armor hits 2 -> 3. (Blow through H Beam and then SSJ or Level 3)
- When parrying any projectile, Big Band moves forward a lot.
- You can now down parry projectiles and assists (even if they hit high), the window for releasing the stick for maximum parry duration went from 7F > 12F [MASSIVE]
- If you input down parry and then input forward parry after, you can extend you parry window to double it basically. (But it resets the first parry cooldown to the second one, while still giving you massive parry window as you move forward)
- L A Train followups in the corner gives him command grab mix up vs Robo once she's in the corner.
- You can choose not to spend the taunt you get from SSJ by holding P so that you can always keep the one that has infinite armour for when you need it to blow through H Beam or Beam Super / Missiles or something else. (Basically you can always combo with SSJ but never lose the armour bonus if you want it for neutral)
- Level 3 is invulnerable for longer so it doesn't get interrupted by projectiles or assists at the start, making it way more consistent for poking out Robo.

WOAH that's cool as heck. I didn't think that some of the stuff like jHK's' recovery frames would actually buff him THAT much - I just thought they were simple quality of life improvements. That's sick.

and I forget about half the tools Big Band has sometimes (how do I use Cymbal Clash). I have no idea what to do from his airthrow and stuff like L Step. Getting as comfortable with him as I am with Bella is going to take a really long time.

If you haven't, go through the Big Band Compendium which should cover most conversions and tools. But I'll list the ones you said here.

For using Cymbal Clash, I'd get in the habit of just keep using it. When we played I felt like you used it fine against Filia (which is ideal). Just simple jLK xx Cymbals as a neutral poke is fine it keep midrange pressure, which should scare the opponent and give you an opportunity to make another guess/read to get in after. If it lands, just use H brass for a simple conversion; though you can also learn to dash up cLK as what Zen|Mars likes to do but that's tricky and not always in range.

For Airthrow, to C/P from the compendium,
"OTG j.MK,
c.MK s.HP xx H Beat Extend,
j.LK j.MK,
s.LP s.MK,
j.LP j.LK j.MK,
c.LK c.MK s.HK xx H Take the A-Train xx Super Sonic Jazz"

If you don't like DPs in combos like me, you can just do otg jMK, cLK cMK sHP, jMP jMK (1 hit), sLP sMK (1 hit), jLP jLK jMK (all Hits) jHP, M A train xx SSJ.

For L Giant Step, use cLK if they are close by. If they are further, you can try to go for cMK though the timing is tighter, and you still won't be able to convert from the farthest ranges.

The most devastating input error I have ever experienced (my inputs are on the left). This was game 5 versus akindhobo, who is very good. It was very laggy, which might explain the input error.

Nah. That's just a common keyboard input issue.
You won't do that stuff when you order that Hitbox you are going to order. :)

I've played Skullgirls for 699 hours. I've learned a lot. I've got a lot to learn.
I've spent 699 hours thinking I was unable to input certain combinations of buttons because of the ghosting on my laptop keyboard. In 699 hours not once did I change my button layout.

I just moved my attack buttons up by one key.

Rx39yMM.jpg
9nBHAbg.jpg

I think I might have brain damage, this shouldn't have taken this long to realize.
Like the only things I still can't do are
  • Double's optimal Level 5
  • Instant Pummel Horse WITHOUT using throw macro
but those are so unimportant I don't care.

I still have difficulty inputting Ultimate Showstopper so I guess I know that my incompetence with that is not due to ghosting, oops. Though I've started using it in actual matches now, I managed to pull off some armor cancel Showstoppers recently!

The only downside to this is that it's a bit more uncomfortable since with UIO-JKL my wrist sat snugly on top of my laptop but now with 789-UIO the edge of the laptop awkwardly bumps into my arm. But I will gladly take discomfort over not being able to perform Alpha Counters.

I'd better start practicing those, now that I mention it.