• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Fortune General: The Pungeon Master

Vladislav_Paizis

On hiatus from SG
Reaction score
Steam
Vladislav_Paizis
PSN
Vlad7779311
Ms. Fortune Eliza Unknown
Making a thread for general discussion about Ms. Fortune.

What do Fortune players think of her new changes? I'm sad that I can't pressure people with IAD J.LK, J.MK head-on, but I'm really happy that HK Fiber Upper got buffed. Now I don't have to run Fortune on point.

I haven't played since Vanilla, so I'm a bit behind the times. So far she seems really nice. Her flow seems to have improved, but that's just personal preference I suppose. I'm digging the overall tightness of her combos now. You really have to be on point (not the position) with her now, which coming from Filia, is really nice to see.

She can OMNOMNOM loop midscreen again, so I'm happy. :)

I'm a low-intermediate player and I want to know how better point Ms. Fortunes establish offensive control. I feel like all I do is wait for other players to do something wrong within dash-in distance and then c.lk combo them. I am not making things happen myself. Other common "point" type characters like Valentine and Parasoul seem to be better air-to-air so jumping/dash jumping forward feels like a bad idea most of the time and they can generally easily jump out of ground blocking outside of the corner.

I'm not amazing, but maybe I can help. I'm a solo Fortune, so point is all I know :D

Some basics on establishing offensive control (not in order of importance):

1. Fiber Upper. On whiff, you can still do her followup. Try to use this occasionally to shorten the gap.

2. IAD j.HP (with her head on of course). One of, if not, her best aerials. It's not quite Filia levels of good, so try not to go too ham with it. It's still really good so keep that in mind.

3. With her head off, try doing IAD j.LK, j.MK. It only works with her head off in MDE, but it's still a beautiful tool. Just remember to hit HP while your j.MK is ending so you can combo from it easier.

4. Poke with s.MP, s.MK, and s.HP. These are great tools that you can usually hit-confirm fairly easy off of into rekkas.

5. Remember that she has amazing air movement. You have a super jump with an airdash AND a double jump. You also have two air specials that alter movement and a air normal that does too. Pretty awesome. Use these to mixup how you approach.

6. If your head isn't attached, use it. f/b.HP is a great long-range tool while you're approaching from the air.

7. For air-to-airs, I really like j.MP and j.HK. j.MP is really fast and j.HK covers a huge area in front of you.

These are just a few things to get you started. Of course, if you have an assist, you can get really creative with your approach. The main things is mixing up your air movement and using her head when you can. Don't be afraid to throw out a OmNomNomNom ;)

For Instant Air Dash Pressure I like to also use IAD J.HK and IAD J.LK, QCB+LK. If you're successful, then you can start a combo from those moves.

My team right now is Cerebella (HP Lock N Load)/Fortune (HK Fiber Upper). When I switch to Fortune I like to use the Bella assist to approach enemy or call assist and jump over the opponent, who will get hit with an amateurish left/right mixup.

Also cancel any blocked normal move into 1 QCF+LP Rekka to be more safe.

If you do cancel into LP rekka, you might as well do the overhead followup right after. It's an overhead and I believe it's the same on block as a single LP rekka. It's not a true blockstring though, so it might be a decent frame trap.

2. IAD j.HP (with her head on of course). One of, if not, her best aerials. It's not quite Filia levels of good, so try not to go too ham with it. It's still really good so keep that in mind.

At least in this version it seems to stop all your momentum on an airdash and you fall straight downward, even on a dash-jump-dash. It always gets me crushed by big air-to-airs like Parasoul's j.HP or Valentine's body bag thing, even if they are done pretty late (they jump after I do). The hitbox is also pretty bad with a bunch of extraneous hurtboxes in front of the red so random ground attacks beat it a lot. I thought it was supposed to only be for high lows when you have the advantage already. I don't feel like anything from her IAD is really dominating rather than being good for mixups when you have control already.

I am going to try more fiber uppers and using j.MP/j.LK (buffered j.MK) as an air-to-air more, I think maybe Fortune has to keep people from bouncing around, jumping at her and reversing sides as much as they want by getting big damage and corner carry from air to air hits with crescent kick OTG combos instead of just dominating with quick, big hitboxes and blockstun.

The IAD j.HP was assuming they were on the ground and you were advancing. Wasn't your post concerning keeping the pressure? Or did you mean what are the defensive options to help start your offense? If you meant how do you force a neutral situation for footsies and such, push-blocking and IADs are nice and seem to work fairly consistenly, assuming you mix it up. Sorry if I may have read your post wrong.

I guess just from neutral. Midscreen, both players have assists available, etc. Like the start of the round but not that exact spacing. Having control would be like after a knockdown, after you get them to block an assist, they block but not push-block a jump in, etc.

Hmmm... maybe try a neutral jump and see if you can bait something. Cross up head shenanigans with an IA Volleyball might be something to try after a knockdown.

You could also try a cross up j.HP. You have to space it fairly well, but it's not too shabby when you get used to the spacing.

Fun little thing about cross ups. If you use the DP (lk, most of the time) as a jump and hit a button after you cross up your opponent up it will auto-correct the normal. This makes it MUCH easier to do cross up set ups or even fake cross up set ups by ADing back to the other side of your opponent.

Could you guys point me at some top Fortune players that have some footage of their play on Youtube/twitch so I can watch their match videos? I only know Khaos Muffins from watching the Evo 2013 Top 8 and he has to play very idiosyncratically because he's running solo Fortune.

Could you guys point me at some top Fortune players that have some footage of their play on Youtube/twitch so I can watch their match videos? I only know Khaos Muffins from watching the Evo 2013 Top 8 and he has to play very idiosyncratically because he's running solo Fortune.
Zero E Lopez is really good, but it doesn't seem like very many of his matches are on Youtube. I did find a couple:

Worldjem is in the second one. He has a good Fortune too, although he plays her on anchor these days so I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for. But you can check out his Youtube channel here: http://www.youtube.com/user/worldjem

Oh, I actually played divekick with Zero E Lopez at UFGT9, was fun.

Also a lot of the matches available will be from SDE. What you can do is try and find good Fortune players who stream the PC version.

Zero E Lopez is really good, but it doesn't seem like very many of his matches are on Youtube. I did find a couple:

Worldjem is in the second one. He has a good Fortune too, although he plays her on anchor these days so I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for. But you can check out his Youtube channel here: http://www.youtube.com/user/worldjem
That first match was super free, So many grabs

Can anyone post some combo notation? Trying to pick Fortune up just for fun and I don't see any up yet.

Hard bnb:

Easy bnb:
(modified version of this video)
cr.LK - st.MK - cr.HP
j.LK - j.HP - ADC - j.LK - j.HP
jump - j.MP - j.HP - ADC - j.MK(2) - j.HP - Headspike!
cr.MK - Headbutt! - walk - st.LP x2 - st.MK - Headbutt!
dash - st.MP - st.MK - Headbutt!
dash - st.LK - st.MP - st.MK - MP rekka - super

So, I just got Skullgirls for the third time, first time on PC, but I am a sort of Fortune/Valentine player back on the PS3 on the SDE.

What are her launchers now? She feels different, but I personally love her new heavy kick.

So, I just got Skullgirls for the third time, first time on PC, but I am a sort of Fortune/Valentine player back on the PS3 on the SDE.

What are her launchers now? She feels different, but I personally love her new heavy kick.
VERY late reply, but:

Head-on: Cr.HP
Headless: S.HK

i remember when i was playing about with the beta back at evo i was able to do IAD j.LK-MK and have all 3 hits connect if i super jumped instead of regular jump.

can anyone confirm this. Im about 75% certain it was head on. i mentioned it to Guitalex at the time but he sounded like he already knew or something.

What's everybody's gameplan with Headless Fortune?

With Head-On Fortune I just try to play a Rushdown game, but when I take off Fortune's head I have a bad habit of just upbacking and trying to hit the opponent with the head's special moves like ZOOM or OMNOMNOM. My headless Fortune feels very awkward and I don't take the head off against good Painwheels and Peacocks, because I struggle with those matchups. I also like to do S.HK Launcher to kick the head around like a football (Or soccer ball. Whatever, you American audience). I just don't feel very confident enough with Headless Fortune. What do you guys do?

(She's always headless) Um, I never really go into that territory unless I have such a Health lead that I can eat a combo. And I haven't gone headless yet with her :/

One of the biggest assets you have with headless fortune is the ability to control the ground at all times. Keep your head as a threat close to your opponent and you will have a lot of space control. If they try to hit the head you have to be in a position to punish them. Also, remember that headless IAD doesn't come out as fast and is a lot higher so be wary when you are timing cross ups and such.

Reactions: KhaosMuffins
Plus if/when you get a hit it's like wooooooooooah they're dead.

And you really meed to make sure you don't get cornered with your head next to you, taking 1.5 damage sucks.

O...M...F...G!!! Ms. Fortune now has a B.Orchid colour! I love the Leona, Blue Mary, Morrigan, Old Fortune design colours, but I think the new Backer colour shown at Salty Cupcakes is going to be my favourite one!

.. Fortune synergizes REALLY well with painwheels new supers, specifically painwheels install. Fortune can just throw out scratch fever or feral edge and as long as its blocked or hit they dhc perfectly into painwheel install rushdown. This also works perfectly well with double.

Right now my fortune team is fortune (hk fiber)/painwheel (mp stinger)/double (lk or mk bomber)

I like this team because: painwheel as a second gives fortune damn near everything she could need except gtfo... Which fortune has no problems with, painwheel gives fortune midscreen throw combos as well as good blockstrings up close. Double gives fortune a near un punishable reversal against grounded opponents by doing hk fiber plus lk bomber. As well as just raw lk bomber assist. Stinger also gives fortune a stronger midscreen presence that gets really stupid when she has her head off.

This team synergizes pretty much all around and no character really loses much in any position. And all the character can make use of every other characters assists, with double and fortune hk fiber assist being the weakest shell, but still pretty good if the double plays kinda turtly cause getting through jump back hk plus lp gun plus hk fiber isnt going to be easy.

Anyways im really liking this team with the exception that my fortune still stinks, but I'm getting the hits, just not really doing much with them, yet.

What does fortune do to deal with pushblock? I can't get any decent pressure started, as most of her normals are push blocked away for free, and she lacks the range to properly punish a bad pushblock.

secondly, versus players that like to safejump during blockstrings against fortune, how should I punish this? I'm used to poking holes in strings with 2A/2B (Cr. LK/Cr. LP) because I'm a melty blood player, but jumping punishes this handily.

I can show vids for reference.

XdasSmP.png

So playing against this matchup as Parasoul the advantage seems tremendous MF vs MF is free but we are not going to get into that. How can I improve my matchup as Parasoul.

Fortune's a2a is bad, so if the fortune is being very aggressive you can stuff her advances with defensive j.hp. If she's headless just make sure to keep track of the head and when its on cooldown. Also, pushblock the head. Fortunes like to try and gain good positioning by putting you in block stun with zoom nom, so even if you aren't in immediate danger you should always pushblock the head to force fortune out of her position. Only punish the head in special cases, don't make it a habit or you'll die to fortune CHing you while you do it or by the head once it gets out of hitstun because the cooldown is removed.

Dunno how the zoning game works because I don't play parasoul but in general tears are pretty good and if you place them correctly she won't be able to get in free.

Reactions: IknowReal
Fortune's a2a is bad, so if the fortune is being very aggressive you can stuff her advances with defensive j.hp. If she's headless just make sure to keep track of the head and when its on cooldown. Also, pushblock the head. Fortunes like to try and gain good positioning by putting you in block stun with zoom nom, so even if you aren't in immediate danger you should always pushblock the head to force fortune out of her position. Only punish the head in special cases, don't make it a habit or you'll die to fortune CHing you while you do it or by the head once it gets out of hitstun because the cooldown is removed.

Dunno how the zoning game works because I don't play parasoul but in general tears are pretty good and if you place them correctly she won't be able to get in free.

this was extremely helpful playing against MF is weird she has more options in some matchups than I thought. Blocking resets seems to be a problem at this present time. Ideas on this? Mainly because I dont know all the things she can reset with. instant Air dash so strong.

Why people don't play fortune?
- She takes more effort than the rest of the cast
- People think she's hard and her combos are extremely situational (they really aren't)
- Overwhelming amount of options, including mobility options when most people play characters like Cerebella or Double
- Fiber Upper assist is /ok/ but not that amazing as a DP assist (thought it can serve as lockdown)
- People simply just may not enjoy her as much as other characters
- No need for people to gravitate towards top tier characters because 1) game is pretty balanced and 2) competition is pretty low so there doesn't exist the "I need to play top tier characters to win!" mindset.

How can you say no one gravitates to top tier when Double is a character.

Double is just Double. And it's not like Double herself is top 4, she's just a really strong team player (and a lot of people happen to have fun playing her) and she got da booty.

Reactions: Choose Goose
I think one of the bigger problems is that people overrate headless, head on fortune is one of the best point characters imo, she has all the tools, is super easy to use and has one of the bigger (if not biggest) damage outputs.

I blame it on Chris G.

Reactions: IknowReal
Nah, people see fiber upper and go "oh a dp that is safe on whiff that's bullshit #fuckfortune". Not to mention a couple of outspoken or prominent individuals who incessantly hate on her.