• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Fortune Video Guide

About fucking time. :D

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay.

It's a lot to wrap your head around but this is very nice. There's plenty of stuff I wish I knew sooner. Like fiber after pushblock, makes me wish I had an understanding (I understand her more now but I would've liked to have known these things since the beginning) of my character instead of just pressing buttons. There's a lot of neat things I can practice now.

Thank you for making this. (the jokes hurt a lot but it was worth it.)

You mentioned that omnomnom isn't technically a grab somehow, but of course it is
It's a hit grab and it scales damage to 50%, as they all do

You mentioned that omnomnom isn't technically a grab somehow, but of course it is
It's a hit grab and it scales damage to 50%, as they all do

It's not a grab, it's just a hit that scales the following combo to 50%. The key feature of a grab is that it's unblockable and you can block omnomnom anytime; most players just hold up after zoom and get caught during jump start-up (you can't block here).

Thank you very much for the video ! Only watched the first 30mins out of it for now but it's plenty useful already.

It's not a grab, it's just a hit that scales the following combo to 50%. The key feature of a grab is that it's unblockable and you can block omnomnom anytime.
Because hit-grabs aren't grabs...?

Huh?
You said nom wasn't a grab cause it was blockable. But it's a hit-grab. And hit-grabs are still kinda grabs.

Pretty sure hit-grabs are grabs that can be combo-ed into during hit-stun, like Excellabella. Nom can't grab at all, meaning it's block-able outside of hit-stun.

If its Blockable its not a grab.
Excellebella is still a grab because its only blockable on the way down.

Nom is a hit grab stop being silly

A hit-grab isn't the same thing as a throw.

Its called a hit-grab because it locks the opponent into the attack animation and uses the characters throw-reference-points to determine where one character latches into another in the same way that a throw does.

The main difference is that you can combo into a hit-grab (like Excellabella, Pummel Horse or Val's level 3) but you can't combo into a throw without using a stagger.

All throws are grabs, but not all grabs are throws. Nom is a grab, even if it isn't a throw.

Wow this is so off topic.

Yay my name is immortalized in this guide, I can quit fighting games now.

all this talk about hit grabs is dumb. if you can block it then it isnt a grab/throw (since when were they different things?).

look at it this way. all nom does is put you in a shit ton of hitstun, its not a damn grab or a throw. its a hit.

does this mean we should start calling any move that puts you in hit stun a grab as well? because bella J.HP totally puts you in a shit ton of hitstun, but you can block it, so it must be a hit grab! same goes for lock and load too.

any way, you caught me out of what i really came here to say, and that was :

fucking awesome guide khaos! this gives me a whole heap of new shit i cant wait to try.

one thing though, is that you say in your guide that head on fortune cannot IAD j.LK-MK anymore with head on. did you try superjumping? i had it working this way on the beta at EVO (yea that was a while ago now), but if the airdash restriction is based on the frames since she leaves the ground and not the height she is at, a superjump obviously makes her rise much quicker thus giving more height for the j.MK to connect.

somebody (anybody) please test this for me as i dont have a PC to play on :(

Last edited:
fucking awesome guide khaos! this gives me a whole heap of new shit i cant wait to try.

one thing though, is that you say in your guide that head on fortune cannot IAD j.LK-MK anymore with head on. did you try superjumping? i had it working this way on the beta at EVO (yea that was a while ago now), but if the airdash restriction is based on the frames since she leaves the ground and not the height she is at, a superjump obviously makes her rise much quicker thus giving more height for the j.MK to connect.

somebody (anybody) please test this for me as i dont have a PC to play on :(
Thanks. :D
And yeah head on Fortune can still do it if she waits long enough after the jump. SJ IAD won't work (I think?) so you still need to wait a few frames so your air dash isn't so instant. It's faster and easier with a super jump though, yes.

Very off topic (sorry Khaos, the guide is really neat!), but there are two parts to a hit: HOW it hits you, and WHAT it does when it hits you.
An attack can be a "hit" type (blockable, interacts with character green boxes, will not connect when the character is hit-invincible) or a "throw" type (unblockable, interacts with character blue boxes, will not connect when the character is throw invincible).
When it connects, it can either put you in hitstun (regular hits), or put you into thrown stun - a synced animation where you are attached to the thing that hit you.
A key thing about something that puts you into a synced animation is that it cannot be armored through, because it forcibly changes the state of the victim.

s.LP is a hit-type-attack that puts you in hitstun.
LP+LK is a throw-type-attack that puts you into thrown stun.
Nom is a hit-type-attack that places you into thrown stun.
Daisy Pusher is a throw-type-attack that places you into hitstun. (The 2nd hit is a hit-type-attack that places you into thrown stun.)
Excella is, in script, a hit-type-attack that makes itself hit you even on block if you are going upward, and places you into thrown stun.
All things are possible! And this is true in most game engines, at least all the older Capcom ones.

So, Nom is a hit-grab.

Reactions: mcpeanuts
One little mistake in the guide that bugs me. Just a pet peeve of mine.

During the mobility section you called Fortune's forward Run a 'dash'.

Now a Dash and a Run are two different things as anybody who has played CvS2 can tell you (Some grooves have a run and some have a dash).

A Dash moves a fixed distance and then stops, a Run continues until you stop running.

Suggesting that when a guide is posted, the OP locks the thread. =/

Reason: This is Skull Heart, where everything spirals out of control once it starts, turning great threads into nonsense pretty quickly.

@Mike_Z

That actually makes a lot of sense now... I was wondering why cilia slide breaks armor.... Cause it puts into a different state?

Makes sense.

But what about clap moves like Bella j.hp... Doesn't that put into a different state? But it doesn't break armor afaik. Is it just on a move to move basis? Cause I was thinking that it was just low hits. I guess buer breaks armor as well... Hmmm. I will delete this and my previous post in a day or so cause off topic and stuff.

Bella's j.HP just puts them into a knockdown state (vs. airborn) where the hitstun lasts until they touch the ground. There are lots of moves that have this property, most obviously Squigly's level 2 Draugen Punch.

Knockdown is just a different state that can be applied to your opponent instead of a 'normal' hitstun, like Crumple or Stagger.

Cilia Slide breaks armor because Mike thought it would make sense if Cilia Slide broke armor like a sweep does. Same thing for Fortune's low-hitting Reka slide.

Reactions: Dime
Continuing the off topic:
@Dime_x
Er. For a run you still have to hold Forward, dude (look at GG/CvS2/whatever other game you want)...but a run means you CAN hold Forward to continue it after the initial period, a dash means you can't.
Fortune/Filia/Valentine/Peacock/Squigly/Big Band/Thanos/Sol run, Cerebella/Double/Painwheel/Parasoul/Magneto/Slayer dash.
Knockdown is a hitstun type.
And yes, Slide breaks armor because it's "a sweep".

Reactions: Dime