• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Steam - Windows Freezing and Xbox Controller Switch

maysey

The Comfiest Captain Falcon
Reaction score
Steam
Maysey
Beowulf Cerebella Unknown
SO, this weird issue has happened to me in two online games now, both occurred in the exact same way as each other...

seemingly at random in an online match, the game may freeze/hang, and then instead of restarting instantly, it progressively speeds up and returns to normal.

during this period I seem to be blocked from input. But I can see my opponent moving. I have half a mind to believe this is a problem on my end, as this kind of lag spike has happened to me occasionally on street fighter 4 online, but...

unqiue to skullgirls it seems, after a few of these lock ups, my controller switches from player 1 to player 2, this then prevents me from doing anything, often resulting in death obviously.

the workaround I do at the moment is to simply reconnect the controller. whether this is game side or very possibly, my side remains to be seen but I thought I'd post this regardless to get some insight.

if it helps I use a wired Xbox controller which is plugged in to the back of my computer (I couldnt tell you the exact USB port type, I dont know where to find that info)

Edit: I just tried to operate the game after plugging in my controller again without resetting the game, despite being player 1 the controller didnt function. Could be relevant?

It sounds like it's your hardware, like that the XInput stuff is recognizing it as P2 because it thinks the P1 controller is still there, but I really don't know.

Can you get it to happen in the Beta with -log? Are you 100% positive it only happens online?

It sounds like it's your hardware, like that the XInput stuff is recognizing it as P2 because it thinks the P1 controller is still there, but I really don't know.

Can you get it to happen in the Beta with -log? Are you 100% positive it only happens online?

Ok. I got the specific freezing to occur in endless beta arcade mode after a few runthroughs, no controller switch though. Considering this is technically three different games exhibiting this behaviour and its not due to online, Im going to buy a new controller.

Theres a high chance that thatll be the end of that but I did run the beta with -log in the steam launch options, I assume it creates a file somewhere but I cant find it, where do I look to get it on here?

Theres a high chance that thatll be the end of that but I did run the beta with -log in the steam launch options, I assume it creates a file somewhere but I cant find it, where do I look to get it on here?
In C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skullgirls Beta\ or whereever your Steam put SG. There'll be a .log file.

And remember to take out -log from now on!

In C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skullgirls Beta\ or whereever your Steam put SG. There'll be a .log file.

And remember to take out -log from now on!

thats odd... I cant find it. I checked when the game session was still open and again upon closing it, but no log file...

did I input -log correctly? I just put -log into steam launch options, is it case sensitive?

in any case, I guess its nothing to worry about unless it occurs with a new controller, this wire on my current one is externally intact but probably dying inside... so thats probably why this is happening.

Last edited: