• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

General Beginner Q&A Thread!

Also will there be another Indogogo DLC Campaign?

Once again, not the correct place for this, but no, chances are there won't be. Skullgirls' development is finished.

Uh... question! Ish.
It would be nice to have an explanation of Pushblock-guard cancelling, like when it's supposed to be done and how useful it is anyway. I've heard that they're pretty difficult to pull-off. I was chilling in the training room the other day, but as expected, I couldn't do one. :P
I guess this info is for when I get better at SG?! ;n;

Oh, and this doesn't belong here, but... How is colour palette 10 unlocked on the PS3? The code I've been finding online isn't working. P-please, I need Aigis-Robo-Fortune! D:

Uh... question! Ish.
It would be nice to have an explanation of Pushblock-guard cancelling, like when it's supposed to be done and how useful it is anyway. I've heard that they're pretty difficult to pull-off. I was chilling in the training room the other day, but as expected, I couldn't do one. :P
I'm out at the moment and on mobile but there is this here:

Let me know if there's anything else you didn't understand and I can answer when I get home. (I can't see the video so I forget what it covers specifically.)

Reactions: Purple_Peahen
Uh... question! Ish.
This is something a bit complicated, but I'll try my best to explain it. I'm going to simplify it a little bit to make it more understandable.
Basically, you're not actually canceling anything when you PBGC.
A pushblock has a minimum recovery of 25 frames. Once the animation ends, you can do any attack you want as if you were at a neutral state. You just need to make sure you let go of back.
It is useful to punish stuff. Say your opponent goes into a multi-hitting super in an attempt to chip you to death. You can pushblock one of the hits and PBGC Into a reversal.
Usually reversals or supers are what you'll be PBGC-ing into, as they usually have invincible startup. You can go into something like a light, though, if you wanted, but that isn't as safe.
You can also use it to punish blockstrings. Say your opponent does a c.LK > c.MP > s.HP blockstring. If you pushblock the c.LK, you can PBGC to punish the later moves when the pushblock ends if they do the rest of the blockstring during the pushblock.

It might seem a bit difficult early on to do, but set a training dummy in training mode to do a simple attack or blockstring and attempt to punish it with a PBGC. You'll get more reliable at it with practice.

Reactions: Purple_Peahen
I read the explanation first, and I was confused. I saw the video, and it was sorta vauge. But when comparing video and words, I think I understand a little better. The power of teamwork! ~~

That aside, thanks Meow-Professor, Skarmand! I originally thought that PBGCing only worked with blockbusters and specials. And just to confirm, it's possible to punish normally "safe" moves / blockstrings with a PBGC, correct..?

And just to confirm, it's possible to punish normally "safe" moves / blockstrings with a PBGC, correct..?
Yes, it is.

Questions about double snaps...

When you get someone in a double snap, is that character (the assist, that is now alone in the corner, being hit by me), what are the rules? I mean, i know that IPS and Undizzy don't trigger, but about the OTG? i've seen videos of double snaps, it seems that you have infinite otgs and you don't need to restand the enemy, also, what is the time to drop the combo? is the normal time of hitstun of your attack? And also, the last one the weight of the enemy is still counting, or assists have a universal "weight"?

When you get someone in a double snap, is that character (the assist, that is now alone in the corner, being hit by me), what are the rules? I mean, i know that IPS and Undizzy don't trigger, but about the OTG? i've seen videos of double snaps, it seems that you have infinite otgs and you don't need to restand the enemy
The assist only jumps off screen when they are not in hitstun and they are standing on the ground. The optimal double snap combos will intentionally let the combo drop while the opponent is in mid air and hit them again before they touch the ground, the idea being that you continuously are resetting damage scaling. That's why you can do multiple OTGs. You don't get infinite OTGs, per se. You still only have one OTG per combo. The reason that works is because you keep letting the combo drop, thus getting your one OTG per combo back.

also, what is the time to drop the combo? is the normal time of hitstun of your attack?
Not totally sure what you're asking here sorry. I guess what I would say is test your double snap against a normal point character without doing a snapback, and if the combo counter doesn't reset, you did it too fast.

And also, the last one the weight of the enemy is still counting, or assists have a universal "weight"?
Double snaps don't change the weight of the character being double snapped, no. So your double snap might have tighter timing on Double or Big Band.

Reactions: NaimS

When you get someone in a double snap, is that character (the assist, that is now alone in the corner, being hit by me), what are the rules? I mean, i know that IPS and Undizzy don't trigger, but about the OTG?
No, you still only have one OTG. If you use it up before you actually snap away your opponent's current character or even after you snap them away, you will need to restand them, which is why some people just repeat restand links for double snaps.
what is the time to drop the combo? is the normal time of hitstun of your attack?
Normal hitstun is applied, except for one exception. When they're in the air, they will only leave the screen when they land on the ground. Basically, they can leave hitstun while they're in the air, but you need to catch them before they land.
For example, one of Cerebella's double snaps is just repeating c.HP over and over. They leave hitstun, but they're hit again before they land.
And also, the last one the weight of the enemy is still counting, or assists have a universal "weight"?
Assists don't have a universal weight, and their normal weight still applies (I.E. Big Band will still fall very fast during a double snap).

Uh... question! Ish.

Oh, and this doesn't belong here, but... How is colour palette 10 unlocked on the PS3? The code I've been finding online isn't working. P-please, I need Aigis-Robo-Fortune! D:

I haven't gotten color 10 for Eliza, Beo or Robo, despite using the code for each one when they were released.
But I have all other #10s. Will color 10 be unlocked for PS3 when lobbies are released or the next patch? I wonder...

If you use [your one OTG] up before you actually snap away your opponent's current character or even after you snap them away, you will need to restand them, which is why some people just repeat restand links for double snaps.
Huh?
I don't understand this, why do you need to restand your opponent before or after a double snap?

Huh?
I don't understand this, why do you need to restand your opponent before or after a double snap?
I didn't say that? I'm sorry I worded that confusingly.
I was saying you only get one OTG per combo. I'm using the "you need to restand them" as if you're just continuing the combo on the assist and not doing a double snap, as an example.

I didn't say that? I'm sorry I worded that confusingly.
I was saying you only get one OTG per combo. I'm using the "you need to restand them" as if you're just continuing the combo on the assist and not doing a double snap, as an example.
Oh.
If you use it up before you actually snap away your opponent's current character or even after you snap them away, you will need to restand them,
"If you use your OTG before or after you snap them away: You NEED to restand them."
That's what confused me.
And if you're continuing the combo on the assist, you don't NEED to restand the assist either. (You actually usually don't want to.)

Maybe I'm just confused?

Oh.

"If you use your OTG before or after you snap them away: You NEED to restand them."
That's what confused me.
And if you're continuing the combo on the assist, you don't NEED to restand the assist either. (You actually usually don't want to.)

Maybe I'm just confused?

Again, I'm using continuing the combo as an example.

Let's say you have a basic combo of two air chains, one requiring your OTG and the other being a restand.
I'm saying if you snap during the second ground chain (right after you just used your OTG), you can't repeat the OTG air chain again and you need to restand them instead. You don't have two OTGs.

No worries, I just can't write.

Let's say you have a basic combo of two air chains, one requiring your OTG and the other being a restand.
I'm saying if you snap during the second ground chain (right after you just used your OTG), you can't repeat the OTG air chain again and you need to restand them instead. You don't have two OTGs.
It's irrelevant whether you used it or not before the snap, you always get the otg back after snapping, the setup to a double snap should always be the same.

It's irrelevant whether you used it or not before the snap, you always get the otg back after snapping, the setup to a double snap should always be the same.
I'm not sure why I forgot that, oops.
Thanks for correcting me.

Is there a way to set an "instant" jump normal (as in, for example, jumping and doing an immediate j.hk with Fukua) as a recorded reversal in training mode? As I understand it the reversal setting strips "empty" directional inputs before the first button press, so when I try it the regular way with that example Fukua will just do a reversal grounded HK.

Nope! Sorry :C
Best way to do it is to set up the dummy to do the setup, and to play Fukua yourself and do the instant jHK.

Reactions: obregon
Hmm, I don't quite understand the meaning of reversals. Are they moves that can be used as some sort of counter-attacks like anti-air attacks or Valentine's :RDP::KK:? Are there any examples?

Hmm, I don't quite understand the meaning of reversals. Are they moves that can be used as some sort of counter-attacks like anti-air attacks or Valentine's :RDP::KK:? Are there any examples?
The point of reversals is that they have invincible startup. Because of this, if, for example, if you're in pressure, you can reversal out if they attack you. You can also mash into them if you think your opponent is going to reset you in a way it will hit them.
Most supers have invincible startup and can be used as reversals.
They can be used as an anti-air against jump-ins if you want.

Reactions: NaimS
The term "reversal" is used in an ambiguous way in fighting game lingo.

The true meaning is "something done on the first possible frame". Like if you block a jab, if you do a special move on the first possible instant after coming out of blockstun, that special move was done with reversal timing. In some games like Street Fighter 4, a message would actually pop up on screen saying, "reversal" in that case, which is why people use such a non-intuitive term for it.

However, there is usually a tactical reason to do things with reversal timing - you want to do an invincible move to beat out what your opponent is doing. For a Skullgirls example of when that is important, imagine Cerebella has just hit you with her big F+HP punch (Titan Knuckle). That sends you into a hard knockdown state, where you are forced to slowly stand back up in place with no option to roll before standing. She uses the time you're knocked down to approach you and then she times another attack perfectly so that when you become vulnerable again after rising, you will have no choice but to be hit by or block this attack. However, if you do a move that is invincible on startup on the first possible frame after standing up, her attack will fail and be hit by yours. If you do it even one frame too late, she'll win.

People often refer to moves with invincible startup you'd use in that tactical situation as "reversals", the classic example being a Street Fighter dragon punch (in Skullgirls, think of attacks like Filia's Updo or Parasoul's H Napalm Pillar).

Both meanings are useful and understanding both is a good idea. It's silly to let ambiguities like that cause confusion for people but it's difficult to change.

There are also like 4 or 5 different fighting game meanings for the word "tech" ...

This may be the worst question asked on here, but I just got 2nd encore and can't figure out how to go back on the character select screen. Every button I hit just selects.

This may be the worst question asked on here, but I just got 2nd encore and can't figure out how to go back on the character select screen. Every button I hit just selects.
To my knowledge select is to go back in the character select screen. Go into the control options and find out what select is set to (I'm not familiar with the controller controls so I can't help you there).

To my knowledge select is to go back in the character select screen. Go into the control options and find out what select is set to (I'm not familiar with the controller controls so I can't help you there).
Ok that actually makes sense. I'm on PS4 so I have options and share buttons, I'll try to see what the select button is mapped to.
Thanks

Reactions: Meow-Professor
typically on the DS4 select is pushing down on the touchscreen pad.

typically on the DS4 select is pushing down on the touchscreen pad.
Thanks. I'm using a TE2 which doesn't have a trackpad button and I don't see any setting to remap it unfortunately.

That's unfortunate. On pc you can remap start and select after mapping all your buttons. That's not available on ps4?

That's unfortunate. On pc you can remap start and select after mapping all your buttons. That's not available on ps4?
Don't see it. It looks like you can only map "attack" buttons. Like HP then you pick what you want that to be.

Don't see it. It looks like you can only map "attack" buttons. Like HP then you pick what you want that to be.
It isn't listed under the buttons you can change individually to my knowledge, you only have the option to change your start/select buttons under "re-configure all". Just go through all of your buttons and at the end start/select should be there.

It isn't listed under the buttons you can change individually to my knowledge, you only have the option to change your start/select buttons under "re-configure all". Just go through all of your buttons and at the end start/select should be there.
Thanks. So that's on the main menu?

Thanks. So that's on the main menu?
Yeah, on the main menu you first go into settings, and from there you'll see controller settings.

Yeah, on the main menu you first go into settings, and from there you'll see controller settings.
Thanks. Unfortunately there's nothing in there other than button mapping for the attacks.

Okay, this is probably a weird question, but i'm kinda curious really.

I know that skullgirls doesn't have much similarities to Street fighter, being more similar to marvel vs capcom 2 and Guilty gear in some aspects, but i'm really curious, if i'm a chun li player in street fighter (mainly sf3), what kind of character would fit this playstyle in skullgirls, or the closest to it?

I started thinking about this yesterday and now i'm really curious.

Okay, this is probably a weird question, but i'm kinda curious really.

I know that skullgirls doesn't have much similarities to Street fighter, being more similar to marvel vs capcom 2 and Guilty gear in some aspects, but i'm really curious, if i'm a chun li player in street fighter (mainly sf3), what kind of character would fit this playstyle in skullgirls, or the closest to it?

I started thinking about this yesterday and now i'm really curious.
What would you classify her playstyle as? What does she have that defines her? I don't play Street Fighter so I'm not familiar with her, but if you can explain what you like about her I can say who would probably be best for you.

What would you classify her playstyle as? What does she have that defines her? I don't play Street Fighter so I'm not familiar with her, but if you can explain what you like about her I can say who would probably be best for you.
I really don't know what makes her fits with me, i mean i just do well with her in most games that i play, SF2, SF alpha, sf3, sf4, mvc3, she just feels natural to me. BUt i don't know her playstyle, some people say is kinda deffensive, but i don't play her being that much deffensive, she normally has very good buttons, being good at mid range, with pokes, i would guess.

Also, she has both charge motions and normal motions. =P

I really don't know what makes her fits with me, i mean i just do well with her in most games that i play, SF2, SF alpha, sf3, sf4, mvc3, she just feels natural to me. BUt i don't know her playstyle, some people say is kinda deffensive, but i don't play her being that much deffensive, she normally has very good buttons, being good at mid range, with pokes, i would guess.

Also, she has both charge motions and normal motions. =P
Sounds like you would like Parasoul. Good attacks, good pokes, decent range, and has both charge and normal motions.

Reactions: Sotherius
How do I apply pressure? For example, I has knock-downed (or not) opponent in the corner. So what should I do next?