• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

General Beginner Q&A Thread!

It is also useful to practice hitconfirming. e.g if your combo starts with cr.LK, cr.MK, cr.HP with Beowulf, you want to only press the cr.HP when you hit the opponent, otherwise you will be punishable or have to cancel into a special which has its own problems. To practice this, set the dummy to block random first hit and then practice doing cr.LK, cr.MK and confirm into cr.HP if you hit and if not then stop.

Alright cool. That's also definitely something I autopilot to when I get blocked. Lot more stuff in training mode to explore I didn't know about before so thanks for the heads up.

Is there or is there not skill level based match making on quick match against other players?

Is there or is there not skill level based match making on quick match against other players?
Short answer: No.

If there are two people at the exact same time not finding each other, it will prioritize the person with a skill closer to your own.
However, 99.999% of the time you'll be matched up with whatever player happens to press the Quick Match button at that time, so there's no skill based match making.

Short answer: No.

If there are two people at the exact same time not finding each other, it will prioritize the person with a skill closer to your own.
However, 99.999% of the time you'll be matched up with whatever player happens to press the Quick Match button at that time, so there's no skill based match making.
thats just lame af

thats just lame af
When this game first launched, it had skill based match making.

The game would say "Searching for a Tier {5 / 4 / 3 / 2 / 1} Opponent" and it would try and find someone in the same tier as you.
This split the online player base into 5 sections, and led to many players sitting at the finding opponent screen waiting sometimes half an hour for a match if you were a good player.

Good and new players (myself included when I was starting out) agreed that they would rather play a lopsided match (A good player playing a new player) than wait half an hour for a balanced one.
Losing is the fastest way to improve anyway.

If you find this frustrating, remember that you can open lobbies with two slots using the title "Casual Matches - Beginner" and wait for a newer player to join.
If you think that the other person is way above you, and you kick them using the LK button while hovering over their name in the lobby as long as you are the host.

You can check your opponents "time played" for Skullgirls on their Steam profile by pressing Shift + Tab > View Players (Bottom Left) > Recently Played > Top of the list will be your most recently played opponent.
If it's below 50 or so, try and grind it out!
If they have 1000 hours they probably shouldn't be in your lobby and it's safe to kick them if you are having a poor experience.

Last edited:
Do you think it'd be a good idea to post here on these forums (not sure which subforum, maybe Beginner Forums) when I plan to host a Lobby for Beginners on West Coast? Or even just make it a scheduled weekly thing like every X-day at X-time and make a thread of it and bump it?

That way, new or just bad PST players can know when to expect an active lobby to be on, rather than taking the chance and finding one on a whim (tho in my limited experience, they aren't too hard to find anyway).

Are these forums active enough for that? I'd prefer here than reddit or the Steam forums (which btw, this is all Steam related). :PUN:

How do i counter Peacocks annoying distance moves like all of Georges moves and Argus agony and The triple Bang! I main Parasoul and i'm tryna get the hold of Filia, Beowulf and Squigly

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk

Parasoul has got a ton of great air poking tools. Plus super jump j.mk [hold] will give you extra time in the air to plan out an attack and to position yourself to perfectly punish the opponent with a j.hp

Reactions: violetgenesis
Thanks you guys! (∩_∩)

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk

First post HYYYYYYYPE!

Skullgirls is my first fighting game, and I'm attempting my first BnBs with Filia.
According to the BnB Compendium, the "Corner only" combo can total 54 hits. I can ever only reach 52.

I've labored over the Compendium's companion vid to confirm if I have identical inputs, but no, something is different. The launch animations before the otg (
) differ between mine and the vid's. My launches consistently fall below the vid's arc.

So I ask, do certain conditions affect which arcs/animations are made? What triggers the variations? Is the animation irrelevent, I've barked up the wrong tree, and something else is what I've missed? All constructive feedback is welcome.

Below is reference for the BnB entry:

c.lk, s.mk, s.hp,
j.hp, j.hk xx H Airball, adc, j.mp (4 hits), j.hk,
s.lk, s.mp, c.mk, s.hk xx H Hairball,
dash, otg c.lp, s.lp, s.lk, s.mp, c.mk, s.hk xx H Hairball xx Fenrir Drive.

The animation shouldn't affect the number of hits/damage. Check that you are getting all of the hits of j.MP and the two cr.MKs. Unless it is affecting the damage a lot then it doesn't really matter.

I can confirm all the hits from the j.mp.

I'm pretty certain that my second c.mk doesn't fully connect. Unlike the video, my combo victim bounces erratically after the otg, perhaps as a result of the strange arc. I'm guessing the different arc forces the weird positioning, which causally prevents all the hits from the second c.mk.

Is it only 2 hits or so it hits for? If so, then that means your opponent is in the air when you did it. Delay c.mk a bit after s.mp or use s.mk if that's the case.

I bought this game yesterday and going through the tutorial I've noticed a huge problem: I can't press two buttons at once.

I just can't. I've tried, believe me. I've done it again and again and again in the training room. No matter what method I attempt, I can only press two buttons in the exact same instant once out of every five attempts.

I thought I would just setup a macro for LP/LK so I can do the roll tutorial, but it won't work. It comes up as LP and LK after each other, no matter what I do. And like I said, I can get the simultaneous press sometimes, just not consistently - so I'm not sure why I can't get it in the macro.

So, questions.

How do I set a macro to press two buttons together and not after each other?

Is not being able to press two buttons at the same time a common issue, or is there something wrong with me or my controller?

Also, I've noticed rightstick left and rightstick right don't do anything at all. Can I bind macros to those too?

I have played a lot of games in my time, so I'm a little surprused this is such a struggle with me. Maybe it's a controller thing, but I can't play on keyboard as I plan to play this game local co-op with a friend a lot, and there my only option will be a controller; so whatever the solution is, I'd rather get used to it.

EDIT: Same is true of Gregor Sampson

Last edited:
Hmmmm
This is the first time I've ever heard of this problem...
I don't know how to solve it but the best I can do is answer some questions

How do I set a macro to press two buttons together and not after each other?
Weird, because the macro buttons are supposed to press them at the same time.

Is not being able to press two buttons at the same time a common issue, or is there something wrong with me or my controller?
I don't think it's ever popped up for anyone else

Also, I've noticed rightstick left and rightstick right don't do anything at all. Can I bind macros to those too?
Yeah, rightstick left and right don't do anything. I think you can bind them as the macro keys but you can only have 2 macros.

Some suggestions that probably won't work:
> Reinstall the game?
> Check the file integrity via steam?
> Check / update your controller drivers?

Honestly, I'm stumped.

I'm having a lot of trouble with this game. I've mained Eliza since I find her playstyle very rewarding but even after 1 week of training I still can't complete the first combo. I can only combo the 1st 3 strings or last 2. Also it seems like I can't combo properly? Sometimes I do the rotate motion on the keypad but it doesn't register properly? I also sort of seem to regress to mashing buttons during CPU matches.

does your keyboard have ghosting? cause it sounds like it's ghosting. it's that or you're just trying to do the input way too fast.

it's good that you're breaking combos down into parts to practice, that said which combo are you trying to do? because it sounds like you're trying to do one of Eliza's more optimal non BnB combos.

also 1 week of training is okay, you're still starting out so it's okay to realize that you're button mashing. it's going to take a bit and little habit building to get past that, so just keep working and focus on read the situations in a match and only pressing the necessary buttons.

Hello, I am new in the fighting games and downloaded the game yesterday from steam.

But I am hard stuck in the final part of the third chapter of the tutorial. I just can't do the hair Ball and the blockbuster in the air for the combo

Talking about the quarter circle back (down, down-left, left) I am not sure exactly in what moment should press the attack buttons for the blockbusters and the special move.

I playwith a dualshock 4 with this setup:
  • Square = light punch
  • Triangle = medium punch
  • Right Shoulder button = high punch
  • X =light kick
  • Circle = medium kick
  • Right trigger = high kick
Is there a problem with my setup?

Hi, I really hope someone on here is still active.

I bought this game last year and I have a total of 65 minutes played... but that's just from me being stuck on the literal title screen + from trying to fix my keybinds on my keyboard. I don't know if I'm just a huge pepega but I wanted to ask what are the default keys? (not for fighting just for general things like "enter" or "back" and stuff like that).
I really want to play this game so I hope someone will have mercy on my dumbass and help, thanks.

Talking about the quarter circle back (down, down-left, left) I am not sure exactly in what moment should press the attack buttons for the blockbusters and the special move.
Nothing is wrong with your setup, dw. For executing specials/supers the basic way is you do the movement and *then* press the button. You can also hold the button and release it at the end of the motion as well (this is mainly just to make it a bit harder to mess up though, try the first method). It's just practice getting it down. You can try doing the specials into super on their own first and then try ground button, special, super as well before trying the tutorial again just to get used to it.

what are the default keys? (not for fighting just for general things like "enter" or "back" and stuff like that).
The default select button will be whatever you have light kick bound to (though when selecting a character any attack button or combination of attack buttons can be used). The back button in menus is what you have bound to select.

These are the default keybindings btw (taken from steam forums):
Movement: arrow keys
Light, Medium, Heavy Punch: A, S, D
Light, Medium, Heavy Kick: Z, X, C
Start: Enter
Select: F
Macro 1: V
Macro 2: G
Analog: H and B