• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

General Fanart Discussion (Potentially NSFW)

That is correct. A lot of people, old and new, just point out Parasoul and say "OMG SATAN" without thinking a bit more about it. I find it a bit dumb even if I'm not religious at all.
How so. In popular belief the inverted cross is more known for its use in anti-Christian symbolism than as a sign of humility. That said, even for people who know both meanings, it is entirely reasonable to expect that when an inverted cross is used in fiction (and by a person dressed in all black for good measure), it is more likely for its more commonly known and used anti-Christ meaning to be intended, as that is usually the case.

Instead of implying that people are ignorant, I'd sooner ask "isn't it a bit dumb that Lab Zero didn't think a bit more about it before using a controversial symbol?". And I'd answer that no, they surely thought about it enough and knew what they were doing - but in result, neither the dev nor the fans have reasons to blame/shame people for the fact that Parasoul gets associated with Satanism.

How so. In popular belief the inverted cross is more known for its use in anti-Christian symbolism than as a sign of humility. That said, even for people who know both meanings, it is entirely reasonable to expect that when an inverted cross is used in fiction (and by a person dressed in all black for good measure), it is more likely for its more commonly known and used anti-Christ meaning to be intended, as that is usually the case.

Instead of implying that people are ignorant, I'd sooner ask "isn't it a bit dumb that Lab Zero didn't think a bit more about it before using a controversial symbol?". And I'd answer that no, they surely thought about it enough and knew what they were doing - but in result, neither the dev nor the fans have reasons to blame/shame people for the fact that Parasoul gets associated with Satanism.

I don't know why anyone is assuming the cross has any strict real life parallel anyways, other than the obvious "cross = religious" conclusion. Even then if you've ever been in a Forever 21 you'll quickly learn that upside down crosses are more of a fashion trend than satanic symbol.

Parasoul's cross is a symbol of the trinity, the religion of canopy kingdom...

What bothers me, is the fact, that or they don't know that the trinity is responsible for the skullheart, or they just consider part of it and roll with it.

Reactions: ACreationist
Heres an idea. The artist made a mistake. I make mistakes too when I draw.

I don't know why anyone is assuming the cross has any strict real life parallel anyways
Why wouldn't he, that's a pretty standard approach before one learns that the game world is meant to be a difference universe.
If anything, I'd be surprised by someone who'd assume every work of fiction he encounters is by default set in an alt reality with no real life parallels.

I find it irrelevant either way, though. It's fairly straightforward that if you slap a controversial symbol on a character, it will cause some controversy. It would be the same if rather than having the inverted cross, we'd slap a swastika on Parasoul instead (quite fittingly at that). We could argue that it's in a different world without Nazis (true), or that either way the symbol is inherently a positive one (true), but it wouldn't matter - the game wasn't released into a cultural vacuum, so it's up to the creator to anticipate what the logical reaction to his artistic choices will be.

And again, I'm pretty sure the choice in symbols wasn't an accident at all. From the bold design and animation of female characters, through a teenager in a bunny suit on a creepy middle-aged guy's lap, to straight out bondage in Eliza's story mode - if anything, I'd say Alex enjoys stirring up some controversy. Given that Indivisible draws heavily from eastern Asian culture, I expect he won't pass on the opportunity to decorate some character with the mentioned technically correct yet understandably bold swastika or two.

Good point, Muro. That one symbol was what kept me from getting the game til Encore was released on PS3 & I found the forums. I asked what the meaning behind it was in the Ask Ravi topic, and when I learned it wasn't being used to spite Christianity, I got the game.

But yeah, that's a nice piece of art there. And I can identify w/waiting for a bus in the rain. :)

Reactions: MooseHogBro
Straight outta a /v/ drawthread, Here's Lucina as Ms Fortune:

wEHVRSt.png
archive.moe link

I'm pretty sure the choice in symbols wasn't an accident at all.
Correct! I'd say they like to push symbols to ridiculous extremes, for great effect. Back before there was a Lab Zero, most of the group were freshly-graduated artists that teamed-up to form the Mecha Fetus Visublog. They had a in-joke/ shared character that appeared often called Bikini Bible-Chan.

From the Skullgirls Digital Sketchbook (via IGG rewards), here's a NSFW (for skimpy swimsuits) sketch of Bikini Bible-Chan and Parasoul. Kind of a joke on their, uh, opposite cross decorations.
NoJbknI.jpg

Kinuko even thought of adding Bikini Bible-Chan as a Cathedral NPC, but then relented for ESRB reasons.
H8uzPSY.jpg

I really... don't know what to think about bikini bible chan. '-'

I remember hearing about her like a year ago.

Correct! I'd say they like to push symbols to ridiculous extremes, for great effect. Back before there was a Lab Zero, most of the group were freshly-graduated artists that teamed-up to form the Mecha Fetus Visublog. They had a in-joke/ shared character that appeared often called Bikini Bible-Chan.

From the Skullgirls Digital Sketchbook (via IGG rewards), here's a NSFW (for skimpy swimsuits) sketch of Bikini Bible-Chan and Parasoul. Kind of a joke on their, uh, opposite cross decorations.
NoJbknI.jpg

Kinuko even thought of adding Bikini Bible-Chan as a Cathedral NPC, but then relented for ESRB reasons.
H8uzPSY.jpg

Just looked at the MechaFetus blog.

I'm very confused, disgusted and aroused.

Seriously, Mariel draws some good boobs and gore.

I only just realized the fact she's got an "hourglass figure"
She's literally...

Ya know what nevermind I dont know how to respond to this lol

@ the swap hats set TOO CUTE

She's literally...

Ya know what nevermind I dont know how to respond to this lol

@ the swap hats set TOO CUTE
I meant I only just got the yolk

Agreed. For example, check out this wonderful glimpse into Lorenzo Medici's nightmares:

Marie
by 高野菊子 (Takano Kikuko)
x4qjg5O.jpg
It is from a collection of five Skullgirls fan art pieces uploaded to pixiv. Brilliant color, with a massive Skull Heart bearing a maliciously gleeful grin behind Marie. It is a nice depiction of the sense of an overwhelming power behind her hatred/revenge.

Val should really consider wearing pants at some point.

Don't ever say that...
Again...
Yeah cause we all know Cerebella needs to do it first....

And the chances of that about equal my chances of beating Sonicfox in a Skullgirls...ever...

Reactions: Blisky
..I'm sorry what?
Cerabella needs to put some damn pants on