• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Guessing Black Dahlia palette references

BallotBoxer

you're gonna carry that salt
Reaction score
Filia Peacock Big Band
It's early, there are only six, and usually most first-batch of palettes tend to be original colors, but it is time to guess palette references (if you see any)! This thread will expand as more are added!

black-dahlia-6c.jpg

1. Default
2. Mr. Freeze (Batman)?
3. ???
4. ???
5. ???
6. ???

Do you see anything?

yea i dont think they're anything, but 3 + 4 are assassins creed and mrs. ganondorf to me.

A trailer for an upcoming beta update was recently released showing some gameplay changes to be implemented.
But it also features a bunch of new palettes for Black Dahlia!

I cannot provide images of decent quality, but I'd like to share some guesses as to what the new palettes may be referencing (so I may very well be way off the mark, lol).
In order of appearance, from left to right:

Elphelt Valentine (Guilty Gear)
Emperor Belos (The Owl House)
Opal (Pokemon Sword & Shield)
? ? ?
Ramlethal Valentine (Guilty Gear)
Faye Valentine (Cowboy Bebop)
Demoman, in red and in blue (Team Fortress 2)
Lord Dominator (Wander Over Yonder)
Baby Bonnie Hood (Darkstalkers)
Surge the Tenrec (Sonic the Hedgehog IDW comics) - Funny if true, considering she's shown fighting Fukua.

Regardless, these are some tasty palettes. I can't wait!

Lord Dominator (Wander Over Yonder)
Heck, it seems to be true. The bunnies look a lot like Dominator's minions, too.
Looks like all these (two?) WoY fans made an impact after all...

Also, surprised to see so many Valentines in the list. Especially the palette Eliza already has :PUN:

Reactions: tristePinguino
Last edited:
lol, I can see the three bunnies as Buttercup, Bubbles, and Blossom, but who would be Bookie and Dahlia? Mojo Jojo Dahlia and Prof. Utonium Bookie?

I'm gonna start guessing all the palettes. Please let me know if you spot anything!

bd01-04.jpg

Black Dahlia: Default
Buttercup: Default
Killer: Default
Bonnie: Default
Bookie: Default

Black Dahlia: ???
Buttercup: N/A
Killer: N/A
Bonnie: N/A
Bookie: N/A

- - - - - - - - - -

bd05-08.jpg

Black Dahlia: Original colors?

Black Dahlia: Original colors?

Black Dahlia: M. Bison (Street Fighter II)
Buttercup: Février
Killer: Decapre
Bonnie: Santamu?
Bookie: F.A.N.G.

- - - - - - - - - -

bd09-12.jpg

Black Dahlia: Lady Alcina Dimitrescu (Resident Evil Village)
Buttercup: Daniela
Killer: Cassandra
Bonnie: Bela
Bookie: The Duke

Black Dahlia: V1 (Ultrakill)
Buttercup: Mindflayer
Killer: Mindflayer
Bonnie: Mindflayer
Bookie: V2

Black Dahlia: Ivy (Soulcalibur)
Buttercup: Ivy alt. costume?
Killer: Ivy alt. costume?
Bonnie: Ivy alt. costume?
Bookie: Taki

Black Dahlia: Dark Samus (Metroid Prime)
Buttercup: Metroid larva
Killer: Metroid larva
Bonnie: Metroid larva
Bookie: Metroid Prime

- - - - - - - - - -

bd13-16.jpg

Black Dahlia: Cruella de Vil (101 Dalmatians (1961))
Buttercup: Jasper and Horace Badun?
Killer: Jasper and Horace Badun?
Bonnie: Jasper and Horace Badun?
Bookie: Jasper and Horace Badun?

Black Dahlia: Barret Wallace (Final Fantasy VII Remake)
Buttercup: Aerith Gainsborough
Killer: Cloud Strife
Bonnie: Tifa Lockhart
Bookie: Marlene Wallace

Black Dahlia: Queen (Deltarune)
Buttercup: Ralsei
Killer: Kris
Bonnie: Susie
Bookie: Lancer

Black Dahlia: Faye Valentine (Cowboy Bebop)
Buttercup: Spike Spiegel
Killer: Ein
Bonnie: Jet Black
Bookie: Edward Wong Hau Pepelu Tivrusky IV

- - - - - - - - - -

bd17-20.jpg

Black Dahlia: Elphelt Valentine (Guilty Gear: Xrd)
Buttercup: Jack'O Valentine
Killer: Ramlethal Valentine
Bonnie: Valentine (Guilty Gear 2: Overture)
Bookie: Ariels

Black Dahlia: Emperor Belos (The Owl House)
Buttercup: Hunter?
Killer: Amity?
Bonnie: Luz?
Bookie: Kikimora

Black Dahlia: Opal (Pokémon Sword and Shield)

Black Dahlia: Jun the Swan (Science Ninja Team Gatchaman)
Buttercup: Joe the Condor
Killer: Ken the Eagle
Bonnie: Ryu the Owl
Bookie: Jinpei the Swallow

- - - - - - - - - -

bd21-24.jpg

Black Dahlia: Demoman (blue team) (Team Fortress 2)
Buttercup: Mann vs Machine bot
Killer: Mann vs Machine bot
Bonnie: Mann vs Machine bot
Bookie: Miss Pauling

Black Dahlia: Demoman (red team) (Team Fortress 2)
Buttercup: Mann vs Machine bot
Killer: Mann vs Machine bot
Bonnie: Mann vs Machine bot
Bookie: Miss Pauling

Black Dahlia: Ramlethal Valentine (Guilty Gear Xrd -Sign-)
Buttercup: katana-styled greatsword
Killer: katana-styled greatsword
Bonnie: katana-styled greatsword
Bookie: Ariels

Black Dahlia: Ada Wong (Resident Evil 4)
Buttercup: Luis Serra
Killer: Ashley Graham
Bonnie: Leon Scott Kennedy
Bookie: Ingrid Hunnigan

- - - - - - - - - -

bd25-28.jpg

Black Dahlia: Lord Dominator (Wander Over Yonder)
Buttercup: Dominator-Bot
Killer: Dominator-Bot
Bonnie: Dominator-Bot
Bookie: Dominator-Bot

Black Dahlia: Baby Bonnie Hood (Darkstalkers 3)
Buttercup: Darkstalker Hunter seen in B.B. Hood's "Cool Hunting" hyper combo
Killer: Darkstalker Hunter seen in B.B. Hood's "Cool Hunting" hyper combo
Bonnie: Darkstalker Hunter seen in B.B. Hood's "Cool Hunting" hyper combo
Bookie: ???

Black Dahlia: Surge the Tenrec
Buttercup: Mimic
Killer: Rough the Skunk
Bonnie: Tumble the Skunk
Bookie: Kitsunami the Fennec

Black Dahlia: Doom Slayer (Doom)
Buttercup: Hell Soldier
Killer: Marauder
Bonnie: Revenant (or maybe Cyberdemon?)
Bookie: Isabelle (Animal Crossing)

- - - - - - - - - -

"N/A" and "???" are interchangeable at this point. Many mysteries here. We sure about some be just original colors?

I don't know enough about some of these references. For instance, I know #28 is Doom, but I don't know the demon names well enough to match them to the Bunnies.

What do you see?

Last edited:
lol, I can see the three bunnies as Buttercup, Bubbles, and Blossom, but who would be Bookie and Dahlia? Mojo Jojo Dahlia and Prof. Utonium Bookie?
Ms. Bellum for Bookie for sure. Not 100% sure about Dahlia but I guess Prof. Utonium might work, since her long dress could approximate a lab coat. But without the bunnies out it would be kinda hard to tell who she is meant to be.

- - - - - - - - - -

Buttercup: ???
Killer: ???
Bonnie: ???
Probably the only Dahlia reference I am familiar with lol.

Buttercup: Hell Soldiers

Soldier_Eternal.png

Killer: Marauders

20200928135850_1.png

Bonnie: Revenants (I think? Her holding a shotgun seems to a reference to when you control a Revenant to retrieve the Super Shotgun for you)

revenant_shotgun.jpg

Black Dahlia: Lord Dominator (Wander Over Yonder)
I think it's save to day that the bunnies are Dominator's bots. Their colour scheme says it all, really.

I'm still screaming my lungs off because of this reference. Send my love to the ones who had this idea in the first place, please.

I was hoping to get a reference to Daisy the rabbit... Or the Cacodemon, for that matter.

Probably the only Dahlia reference I am familiar with lol.
Maybe they are referencing the older games, too?
Buttercup has similarities to the Zombieman from the classic game. Though, it seems, he is a basis for the Hell Soldier.
And killer has some similarities to the Heavy Weapons Dude from "Doom 2", but they don't look too similar. So it's probably someone from the newer games.

Still, no Cacodemon. It's kind of offensive.

08​

Black Dahlia: M. Bison (Street Fighter II)
Buttercup: Février
Killer: Decapre
Bonnie: Santamu?
Bookie: März?
5: I think Bookie might actually be F.A.N.G., Bison's right-man from SFV?

]1676120795369.png

09​

Black Dahlia: Lady Alcina Dimitrescu (Resident Evil Village)
Buttercup: Daniela
Killer: Cassandra
Bonnie: Bela
This Bookie, I think, might be a reference to the Duke, particularly since he wears a mask in the Shadows of Rose DLC.

1676120943403.png

11​

Black Dahlia: Ivy (Soulcalibur)
Buttercup: Ivy alt. costume?
Killer: Ivy alt. costume?
Bonnie: Ivy alt. costume?

Bookie might be Taki here?

1676121160319.png

14​

Black Dahlia: Barret Wallace (Final Fantasy VII Remake)
Buttercup: Aerith Gainsborough?
Killer: Cloud Strife?
Bonnie: Tifa Lockhart?

Went through the wiki for this one, I think Bookie's meant to be Marlene, Barret's daughter?

1676121312349.png

Black Dahlia: Elphelt Valentine (Guilty Gear: Xrd)?

That is Elphelt! And she is joined by the other Valentines: Jack'O, Ramlethal (who is also color 23) and Valentine from Guilty Gear 2: Overture, with Ariels for Bookie.

1676121603134.png
1676121691014.png

1676121734955.png

1676121764969.png

I promise I will stop hogging the mic now.

That is Elphelt! And she is joined by the other Valentines: Jack'O, Ramlethal (who is also color 23) and Valentine from Guilty Gear 2: Overture, with Ariels for Bookie.
I guess, it's save to say that Bookie is also Ariels in the palette 23, then. The differences are minimal.
Might the other bunnies there represent Ramlethal's swords?

I guess, it's save to say that Bookie is also Ariels in the palette 23, then. The differences are minimal.
Might the other bunnies there represent Ramlethal's swords?
I think so, the colors seem right! I'm surprised they used Ariels for both instead of Lucifero for Ramlethal, though I'd imagine this would make any Elphelt vs. Ram fights funnier, with Ariels serving as a Judgement Girl essentially.

Reactions: Holy Goose
Maybe they are referencing the older games, too?
Buttercup has similarities to the Zombieman from the classic game. Though, it seems, he is a basis for the Hell Soldier.
And killer has some similarities to the Heavy Weapons Dude from "Doom 2", but they don't look too similar. So it's probably someone from the newer games.
Yeah, Zombieman is basically the same thing as the Hell Soldier. The green hair is a dead giveaway. I'm using the Doom Eternal model as the reference since all the other references are Doom Eternal references, like the Marauder and the Isabelle Animal Crossing meme.

Killer is definitely the Marauder. The colour theme fits, especially the red blade.

Still, no Cacodemon. It's kind of offensive.
Could be reaching, buuuut...

20230211235918_1.jpg

Reactions: tso and Holy Goose
Post updated! Thanks for the help!

#14 Bookie confirmed to be Marlene Wallace when you see her from the original FFVII
Marlene-ffvii-field.png

#28 Bonnie could be Tyrant, the giant beige yellow-eyed monster

I need to look more into Team Fortress 2, Sonic the Hedgehog fringe characters, and a few other fandoms for some leads

Could be reaching, buuuut...
It's better than nothing.
At least the eye and smile are on point. Not enough blue, though.

Oh, great catch. I thought the palette was similar to the original Cyberdemon, but not similar enough to state it.

Nice to see the references to the demons who happen to be the references themselves.

Also, this preview just rubs the salt in my Cacodemon-shaped wounds :PUN:

Could be, although just going by the skin tone and yellow eyes with metallic parts, a few other demons could fit the bill including the Carcasses and the Doom Hunters. The Tyrant/Cyberdemon is definitely one of the most iconic demons from Doom, so it seems like a good candidate, but the reason I leant towards the Revenants is due to the shotgun. Definitely one of the more memorable sequences from Eternal.

Bookie in palette 12 is the Metroid Prime itself.
Metroid_Prime_Core_Essence.jpg

Also, for palettes 21 and 22, Bookie is Miss Pauling and the bunnies are Mann vs Machine bots.

If #27 is Surge the Tenrec, Bookie is definitely Kitsunami the Fennec.
But that said, I've got no guesses at to who the other three could be.

Reactions: BallotBoxer
Post updated again! I incorporated everyone's knowledge, but there are plenty of mysteries. Notably, #24. The individual color choices are clearly intentional, but I can't beyond "why does this look familiar?" level of recognition. (Resident Evil 4?)

If #27 is Surge the Tenrec, Bookie is definitely Kitsunami the Fennec.
With this clue, I went down the IDW comics rabbit hole (hedgehog hole?) and made some educated guesses:

Black Dahlia: Surge the Tenrec?
Buttercup: Mimic?
Killer: Rough the Skunk?
Bonnie: Tumble the Skunk?
Bookie: Kitsunami the Fennec?

Kind of a "associated with Doctor Starline" antagonists group.

Last edited:
With this clue, I went down the IDW comics rabbit hole (hedgehog hole?) and made some educated guesses:
Makes sense to me.
I'm not all that familiar with the comics, but I'm all for skunk representation.

Post updated again! I incorporated everyone's knowledge, but there are plenty of mysteries. Notably, #24. The individual color choices are clearly intentional, but I can't beyond "why does this look familiar?" level of recognition.
We really need to bring the devs in here and ask them some palette-based questions.
Like the Cacodemon one.

Post updated again! I incorporated everyone's knowledge, but there are plenty of mysteries. Notably, #24. The individual color choices are clearly intentional, but I can't beyond "why does this look familiar?" level of recognition. (Resident Evil 4?)

Black Dahlia: Surge the Tenrec?
Buttercup: Mimic?
Killer: Rough the Skunk?
Bonnie: Tumble the Skunk?
Bookie: Kitsunami the Fennec?

Kind of a "associated with Doctor Starline" antagonists group.
I went looking for theories and you might be right about RE4 being #24! If that's meant to be Ada, then I'd have to assume the other colors would be Luis, Ashley, Leon(? hair seems very blonde though) and Hunnigan.

I've seen people say 18 is Emperor Belos from Owl House and 19 is Opal from Pokemon Sword and Shield, though the only extra info I've been able to determine from myself off the respective wikis is that 18's Bookie is a character named Kikimora (also, Opal's Bookie could be Bede, but the eyes give me doubt). I'll keep perusing the wikis or ask some friends.

24:

1676253772300.png

1676253742346.png

1676253802187.png

1676253824106.png

18:

1676253873657.png
1676253896445.png
19:

1676253973674.png

1676254189738.png

(P.S. just based off her design, she seems like a great fit for the Granny voice pack )

Post updated! And thanks!

Someone collected wiki images to help corroborate the Sonic the Hedgehog baddies angle for #27

#24 Resident Evil 4 seems likely, but I can't see a RE2 Leon with the RE4 group. Maybe Bonnie is Wesker? The blue tights for variety (Wesker wears all black)

Black Dahlia: Ada Wong (Resident Evil 4)
Buttercup: Luis Serra?
Killer: Ashley Graham?
Bonnie: Albert Wesker? Leon Scott Kennedy (RE2)?
Bookie: Ingrid Hunnigan?

The fandom wiki says #4 is Parasoul, but I don't see it. It is like the crew is in formal/funeral blacks.

The #18 Owl House Emperor Belos and Kikimora seem very likely, but I can't figure out the Bunnies. The hair colors and some skin tones match the show's protagonists as if they were disguised as Coven Scouts. Kinda fits?

The fandom wiki says #4 is Parasoul, but I don't see it. It is like the crew is in formal/funeral blacks.
Yeah the first few palettes for everyone are almost always "Original" palettes. Probably just meant to look cool rather than referencing anything in particular.

Steam update today, bringing with it 4 new palettes!
Unfortunately, I do not know what they are references to (if anything). I have a feeling the second one (palette 30) is Mega Man related?
As stated in the patch notes, the fourth palette (palette 32) features a space pattern on the inside of her cloak! The mentioned "bonus effect" when Empowered is a glowing ball that orbits her position and offers its own light.

New BD Bunnies 1.png
New BD Bunnies 2.png
New BD Bunnies 3.png
New BD Bunnies 4.png

In other news, a member of the art team explicitly confirmed that palette 24 is in-fact, a reference to Ada Wong. Also, her Bunnies are Luis (Buttercup), Ashley (Killer), Leon (Bonnie), and Hunnigan (Bookie).

Steam update today, bringing with it 4 new palettes!
Unfortunately, I do not know what they are references to (if anything). I have a feeling the second one (palette 30) is Mega Man related?
As stated in the patch notes, the fourth palette (palette 32) features a space pattern on the inside of her cloak! The mentioned "bonus effect" when Empowered is a glowing ball that orbits her position and offers its own light.

In other news, a member of the art team explicitly confirmed that palette 24 is in-fact, a reference to Ada Wong. Also, her Bunnies are Luis (Buttercup), Ashley (Killer), Leon (Bonnie), and Hunnigan (Bookie).
Glad to see a confirmation for 24! I've heard theories for the first three but the only one i could say with something close to certainty is that the first palette (29?) might be Venom from Guilty Gear with Robo-Ky Bunnies since the two are often associated with each other, at least more recently.

1677294058540.png

1677294093660.png
1677294117094.png

I think you're both right! I would add this to the above post, but I'm at a character limit or something. So here it is:

bd29-32.jpg

Black Dahlia: Venom (Guilty Gear X)
Buttercup: Robo-Ky
Killer: Robo-Ky
Bonnie: Robo-Ky
Bookie: Robo-Ky

Black Dahlia: Vile (Mega Man X)
Buttercup: Axl
Killer: X
Bonnie: Zero

Black Dahlia: Spamton Neo (Deltarune)
Buttercup: Swatchling
Killer: Swatchling
Bonnie: Swatchling
Bookie: Swatch

Black Dahlia: Utsuho "Okuu" Reiuji (Touhou)
Buttercup: Marisa
Killer: Sakuya
Bonnie: Reimu
Bookie: Orin

Any Deltarune fans have advice for the primary color bunnies? There are like 4 purple bosses in Mega Man X. Which one is #30 Bookie?

Last edited:
Ooh, Venom! :D

Okay, if #31 is Spamton NEO, Buttercup, Killer, & Bonnie might be Swatchlings, butler-like NPCs/enemies that are usually depicted wearing primary colors (though the colored hair is making me second-guess). And if that's true, Bookie might be Swatch, leader of the Swatchlings. Bookie could also just be non-NEO Spamton (which kinda matches her feathers and book better).
Cute if true, 'cuz the color a Swatchling is wearing determines the attack they perform.

Spamton_overworld_dance.gif
swatchlings-applause.gif

swatch.jpg