• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Guilty Gear Thread

yeah Leo has ridiculous (ly easy to do) pressure but his neutral is kinda.... well he has to take big risks constantly. He can be difficult to deal with, but whenever he guesses wrong he puts himself in a bad situation. His damage isn't really high enough to make that work super well either, at least his oki is GG strong.

yeah Leo has ridiculous (ly easy to do) pressure but his neutral is kinda.... well he has to take big risks constantly. He can be difficult to deal with, but whenever he guesses wrong he puts himself in a bad situation. His damage isn't really high enough to make that work super well either, at least his oki is GG strong.

Yeah I agree. But he still feels like "GG for dummies" to me :) which since GG is nowhere near my main game is exactly what I'm looking for. Plus he has all dat offense.

I am looking for a second to cover his (really) bad matchups though. Don't really know who to go with, range and speed seem to be what Leo lacks as far as options go, even though he has both, he has both in a very limited linear fashion.

Range seems to be the biggest one so that gives me Faust, venom and sin. Sin sounds great... But idk. Faust seems to grow on me less and less and venom seems really farkin hard plus he's low tier.

I wouldn't say Leo puts himself in a bad situation that much with incorrect offensive guesses. I mean his only really bad move is his BT dust when guessed incorrectly. Most other things are kinda evenish. It feels.

On offense he doesn't, but from a neutral situation he does.

I wouldn't say he lacks range, f.S and 5HS are pretty long, plus you have S fireball as a poke as well.

i went on dusty loop and i didnt understand anything lol sorry for being a noob can someone translate this into fightstick

5P > 4P > 1K > 2K

can someone translate this into fightstick
???
What are you asking for, exactly?

5P > 4P > 1K > 2K
If my lacking knowledge on fighting game annotations are correct it's asking you to link the normals into each other. (?? was > chain or link?)
5P is punch without holding directions, 4P is punch while holding back, 1K is kick while holding down-back, and 2k is kick while holding down.
Yeah, I think > is chain not link... "," was link if I remember correctly

M.O.M. mode is pretty dumb sometimes

i went on dusty loop and i didnt understand anything lol sorry for being a noob can someone translate this into fightstick

5P > 4P > 1K > 2K
Basically what Fumako said. To elaborate on this, most anime games usually follow a numpad format when writing down move notations. Each number represents a certain direction, depending on where the number is on the numpad. The numpad is laid out like this, in case your keyboard doesn't have one:
It assumes your character is facing right.
5 means the neutral version of the move, 2 means crouching, 1 means crouching back, 4 means standing back, etc.

IIRC ">" means chain, and "," means it links. I don't usually use anything other than ">", though, since it just adds notation that isn't really necessary that you will need to know to be able to read the combo.

Reactions: Fumako
Can any better Faust players give me some tips?

If you can't be bothered to watch it all, start from 3 minutes.

First, work on your confirms. A CH j2K should be confirmable right there into Something > Pogo > Going My Way.

When defending against mixups in the corner, focus less on counterpoking and more on using Faultless Defense to make an opening for superjumping away. You can then cover your escape with Raw YRC, Bag Toss > YRC or YRC > Bag Toss to reset the game to neutral. Your far.S has a huge hurtbox on it, so it's liable to trade in a number of situations. You were counterpoking with 5HS as well, which just doesn't do the job as well as getting the fuck outta dodge.

If you want to counterpoke, use 5P to preemptively cover the space in front of you, then plan what comes after. 5P beats Mappa out of startup, which means you can cover Mappa, then block all of Slayer's slower followups when he does Dandy Step shenanigans. An example, after blocking Mappa from Slayer, I'll buffer 5P with 2D twice. This counterpokes Backdash Cancel Mappa to CH into 2D knockdown, and hits all of Slayer's other options outside of some loonier roundabout options (Of which I think you can cover with YRC on reaction) with the linked 2D after 5P recovery.

Have confidence in your Bomb explosion timing. I saw you landed a CH j2K on crouching Slayer with time to spare, which means you could have went for 5P,2D jump cancel for Bomb Combo. Always try gatling into 2S or 2D to get the jump cancel, you keep the opponent in pressure if they block, and you get sick damage if it connects. You can also jumpcancel a 2K or 5P if you want to squeeze in a hit.

At close range, don't go for cl.S xx Item Toss. If you're in range for cl.S, chain into 2HS/5HS xx Item Toss. It's safer on block, and if you find that it connects, you can forgo Item Toss for RC dash 2S,2HS xx Pogo xx Going My Way.

5D combo is supposed to be: 5D jHS jc jHS jc j.K,j.P,j.K jc j.K,j.S,j.HS

Be more brash when Meteors are out. You have no reason to avoid your opponent when Meteors are about to drop. You have Hidden Missiles. Just go in. Do unsafe things. HORRIBLY UNSAFE THINGS. Things like fucking awful Going My Ways and arbitrarily obvious jump-ins. You'll bait out a response from most players and still be at advantage if they don't fall for it.

Convert of CH 6P by always cancelling into Item Toss. This will allow you to get an Item into play while also following up with 5K jc j.K jc j.K,j.S,j.HS

When you get Spring Board off 2D, pressure your opponent with a properly timed j2K or 6HS. You'll be able to get unblockable damage off of it. You can practice it in Training Mode, and I recommend it as it happens so often.

Work on your punishes as well. All it takes is a little ogling of frame data to know what can be hit with a 5P,2S,2HS xx Pogo/Item Toss punish. Things like Slayer's Pilepunker should not go unpunished.

2HS is a great poke, despite it's slowness. At 25-49 meter, you can do 2HS xx 41236+K+S+HS to option-select a Scalpel Pull with YRC in case your opponent jumps over the 2HS. This is particularly important in some matchups where you can't react to their approach, and you can do similar things with 236+P+S+HS if you want to YRC OS with Item Toss as well. This is actually very useful if you land a far.S xx Item Toss againt Slayer, as the OS will beat all of his high-powered Dandy options at mid-range, while also Counter-hitting Mappa (At max-range 2HS OS xx Item/Scalpel is less useful and needs to be delayed slightly to catch his options)

Slayer's Helter Skelter (Hop into Stomp) can be punished on reaction with Dust YRC. Dust has invuln on startup, so you can use that to juke through moves with small amounts of active frames. Once you Dust YRC, anti-air him with 2K for an air combo.

If someone is hanging out in the air and pressing buttons (Slayer loves to do this with his j2K) look to j.HS at max range to beat it cleanly.

When you throw an Item that covers a certain part of the playfield (Bomb, Poison, Minifaust), you know that the only way out is going above or around the item in question. Use that to your advantage and stick a big fat j.S or j.HS in the way of your opponent preemptively. They can't approach on the ground, so you don't have to worry about them running in.

Bomb causes a hard floating juggle state, regardless of proration. This means if it lands, you always want to dash in 5K > Air Combo. It will always work.

Chaining into 2HS on block is sometimes better than 2D if you think they'll block. The reason being is 2HS leaves you at more advantage (Though blocked normals into Item are always minus).

Reactions: ashxu
speaking of faust. How can I convert off of CH 6P xx Item (hammer)? i could super jump into air como but i feel like it should have more damage

speaking of faust. How can I convert off of CH 6P xx Item (hammer)? i could super jump into air como but i feel like it should have more damage
Nope, that's it.

Reactions: Adwins
I'm sorry I'm not better, but 2K. It's probably the best button to hit confirm being that it hits up to 3 times. It's also a great button for pressure.

First of all ash, don't push buttons after Dandy Step > Under Pressure, you are lucky it wasn't a better slayer cause that is meant to HURT.

Also Friedslick was doing lots of Dandy Step > Crosswire heel on block and not RCing it, that's a free punish for you.

Interestingly you are converting a lot of weird situations where you get counterhits or whatever, but you get tons of close multi hit pokes you could be canceling into Pogo > Going My Way

Still pressing buttons after Under Pressure, please don't

You tried to whiff punish a Crosswire Heel, it's got lots of invuln, just wait for both hits to happen THEN punish

When you block Slayer's pilebunker, kill-im, he woulda done the same if he hit you with it. Okay maybe Friedslick wouldn't by the looks, but counterhit bunker should just about be the end of you.

Still pressing buttons after Under Pressure, please don't

If you Instant Block the 2nd hit you can 2P as Faust to beat his standard 2K followup. It's hard, though. I recommend just burning a ton of meter on FD and then super-jumping away.

Wouldn't It's Late blow you up into 60-70% life gone?

EDIT: Oh I think I misread, you meant instant block It's Late after blocking Under Pressure? Yeah I think that would leave you at 0 or +1?

thanks for the tips, i never really thought of meteors as hidden missiles lol

never really considered trying to SJ out of the corner and running away either, was more trying to beat myself out

thanks for the tips, i never really thought of meteors as hidden missiles lol

never really considered trying to SJ out of the corner and running away either, was more trying to beat myself out

Don't do it, your normals are booty-town for close range stuff.

Well, I shouldn't say that. There's a time and place for everything. Focus on jumping away, however, and see how that works out for you.

you should also know that Fausts Air dash is pretty... awkward, At least without FDC (faultless defense cancelling). Of course it's worth knowing how to do for various reasons, but airdashing with faust is still very risky, so get more used to anti airing with 5/2K, 6P, etc or using regular jumps to control the air.

In order to FDC, in the air you hold Down-back (1) and Press K (starts his Drill command normal) and near immediately after that, you press a second button while still holding K to acticate faultless defense, but then you release both buttons to cancel it. when you do this, you stop your momentum in the air and can act pretty soon after it. You can do it immediately after you jump (for a very quick overhead with jK from a jump-cancellable move, which he has plenty of), in the middle of an air dash (like using it tp set up jD crossups or making it safer), or just plain altering your trajectory so you can more precisely control space with say, jH

I was gonna ask what options does Faust have when on top of someone due to his air dash. Ky's projectile is pretty good and you can't really contest it unless you poke him out of the start up. But Ky has that upwards thrust that he can combo off of. So if you do some shit air to ground approach you're just going to get bopped.

He sort of can do j.D or FDC stuff but it's not too fast.

Also is the combo for FDC j.K in a oki situation FDC j.K, j.2k 5P into shit? That's what it says on the Dustloop wiki.

that's pretty much the gist of it, yeah. You have to double jump cancel jK to be able to do j2K (you can't gatling it from anything i think)

So basically the combo goes:
jump, instand FDC, jK, doublejump, j2K. you have to flick between up and down like twice in a row and it's hell on pad

also i think you can crawl under his projectiles but i'm not too sure since i usually jump over them anyway

Just using FDC after airdash or after a jump is important. Don't worry about combo implications right away. You use it to juke around projectiles, bait anti-airs (It stalls your time of impact, letting their attacks whiff) and leaves you much harder to get a bead on for airthrows. The most immediate offensive application is going to be using it early in a jump to put a j.HS in someone's face.

welp, i got Steam Xrd for christmas and of course i'm one of lucky ones with FPS issues. even with all the engine/.ini editing the most i can get at a time is 30-45 during a fight

Elphelt is everything i've dreamed though

Same case here. I can get it to 60 with the right characters but anyone who has long hair like Ky and Millia just screws up the framerate and occasionally causes this visual glitch where the screen blanks with the hair color.

Probably best to refund the game then, I assume you're all on integrated graphics

With a lot of .ini editing, I can get a constant 60 fps during matches, but my character select screen still runs at about 35 fps.

Probably best to refund the game then, I assume you're all on integrated graphics
It was a gift, so unfortunately....

Is Leo's side swapping move a follow up from another move or a move itself? I don't really know how to tell he's going to swap sides besides just reacting to it.

It's the second move in his rekka, if I recall correctly.

Is Leo's side swapping move a follow up from another move or a move itself? I don't really know how to tell he's going to swap sides besides just reacting to it.

It's both.

He can do it either from "rekka" or standalone. However if it makes you feel better, you don't need to change your block if it's from rekka as it is a blockstring.

Ok so, if he does it as a rekka, it is always negative, quite negative. In fact if he does it as a rekka in any 3 of the following scenarios, you can throw him BEFORE he hits:
1) First Rekka hits too far out making it not a blockstring
2) He delays at all making it not a blockstring
3) You instant block the first rekka, making it not a blockstring no matter what
Keep in mind you will have to block it as a crossup if it isn't a true blockstring, throwing it is generally easier in these scenarios

When he does it raw it can be a little different, depending on spacing. It is fairly fast but from range you can react and poke him. You should do that, because if it hits in front of you it will be + on block, which is pretty big as you probably know Leo's pressure is his strongest position. He will NOT be in stance mode if it hits your front though.

If he does it from a bit closer it can be hard to react, it's best to react with throw if you can, but if you can't, it will be negative on crossup. Keep in mind he's in stance on crossup, so be wary of the obvious stance D counter and stance P/K throw invuln.

I kinda get Faust a little bit more now, his neutral is more he has an answer to most situations, rather than oppressive buttons which is what I usually think of when someone says zoning/neutral. Think Chun from 3S where she has buttons that just win almost all the time.

Anyone know if Faust has any buttons that are good at beating out Sol's 2/5S? At round start it seems like the only thing you can really do is attempt to jump out or back dash. But it's a pretty big killer for most of Faust's longer range buttons.

tbh that's really all i can think of too. however, that's probably your best bet since you want to stay away from Sol anyway. I would do neutral jump or back jump and prepare to jK or jS. I'm not sure if you can crawll under Far S but that sounds unlikely

speaking of his buttons, you might have noticed but all of his neutral buttons have a deadzone you should be very worried about, like 5K which will whiff on a lot of crouchers, so even that isn't your go-to poke like fS would be (this was a real problem for me vs Zappa in +R because as a squigly player, i auto pilot too much)

I kinda get Faust a little bit more now, his neutral is more he has an answer to most situations, rather than oppressive buttons which is what I usually think of when someone says zoning/neutral. Think Chun from 3S where she has buttons that just win almost all the time.

Anyone know if Faust has any buttons that are good at beating out Sol's 2/5S? At round start it seems like the only thing you can really do is attempt to jump out or back dash. But it's a pretty big killer for most of Faust's longer range buttons.
The trick is getting outside of 5S range where he must Gunflame to stop you from pressing buttons that he has trouble beating outright with 5S.

You can also 5D through it. kek

Last edited:
The trick is getting outside of 5S range where he must Gunflame to stop you from pressing buttons that he has trouble beating outright with 5S.

You can also 5D through it. kek
You mean 5D to get through 5S? I like never get to use 5D to go through stuff.

Anyway update: running a bit forward and pressing 5P can beat 5S I think or you can just jump up and throw love, however you have to back yourself into the corner a bit. I noticed the stage is also quite small in GG.

So I bought GGXXETCETC before knowing that Xrd came out on steam some time before. Since it's too late to refund it and that refunds apparently can only be done for single purchases and not groups, I'm keeping it to try GG general gameplay. I'm starting to like neutral games a lot (which SG has next to none) and I'm liking Potemkin and Faust for mains.

Since I'm a noob, is it normal to hate 180 inputs or am I the only one?

I mean it's just that it's hell to input that with a keyboard. Double quarters are doable tho. Tomorrow a 360 pad that my brother ordered should arrive so I guess I'll try it with that and see how it goes.

well, a lot of people like AC+R, so its not a bad purchase to have.

I'd recommend maybe a madcatz fightpad if you want a good fightpad imo.