• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Help a Newbie Pick Their First Stick?

queerdeer

jerk with a cat
Reaction score
Ms. Fortune Unknown
I'm considering saving up and getting a Qanba Q1 PS3 & PC Joystick. Right now all I have to use is a 360 controller, which is literally suffering. Literally. With suffering.

I've done a bit of research on sticks - like I know that Mayflash =/= a good time - and I've also combed through the reviews on this particular stick. The general consensus is that it's a pretty solid stick for what it is, and it's good to learn on; also that it mods pretty easily, which is good, because that means I can update it when I get comfortable using it! It also comes with a few standard gates (circular, octagonal, and square).

Is anyone here using one, or has used one before? What are your thoughts on it as a first stick? Has anyone modded it? If you don't like it, do you have a suggestion for an alternative? And what gate shape do you prefer?

I personally enjoy the quanba q4 tbh. good reliable stick.

I got a Hori Rap4. This stick is hella nice.

Do you feel like you truly need a stick to play?

Because first off you don't need one and people use the 360 pad to play sg just fine. Sticks are a huge investment and I wouldn't want someone buying one if they think it makes them better because they don't. What you use to play the game is strictly preference and nothing else.

Ignoring that, if you're only going to play sg and will never play any other game then you're fine with just a ps3 stick so a used madcatz te, r1/2 hrap3 or qanba q4/eightarc fusion are fine.

However if you want to play other games and don't want to deal with how the l0 driver is used on other ps4 games (poorly) then you'll want a madcatz te2+ (or te or se but the te2+ seems to lag the least) or hrap4/5 (they're both ps3/ps4)

Also this: http://teyah.net/sticklag/results.html

As Stuff said, you don't really need a stick to play. I've seen a lot of competitive top players play using a controller.
Saying that I personally think there are some fighting games that are preferable to play on stick like MvC2 as the default controller controls just don't hack it.

I went for a FS3 Hori Stick. It's pretty cheap if you look for a nice eBay option and I have found a few ways of getting it to work on a Mac so I'm certain you can find a way for PC. I don't think it's mod friendly at least I haven't tried.

I guess that I don't need one to play; I could probably learn to adapt to my 360 controller and do at least okay. Thing is that it feels frustrating to use, and not just for SG. It works for other people, but I at least want to look into some other options.

If nothing else, I'd probably at least get a different controller. I hear good things about PS3/PS4s, and I know there's even ones with a six-button config, instead of the standard four. Does anyone have any experience with those?

I'll look into the sticks you guys've mentioned! What's the big difference between Qanba, Hori, and Madcatz? Is it in the parts they use?

Reactions: Sinclair
They all generally use sanwa parts except hori now has their own parts hyabusa and kuro the difference is in how much lag their boards have which is why I linked that website.

Reactions: Makster
PS3 controller are better than 360 for fighters just cause of the D-Pad.
A cheaper option than a fight stick is the madcatz fightpads. They have a six button layout and they're pretty good if you prefer pads.
However it does still have limitations like being difficult pressing two punches or two kicks.
You can always set a macro to the shoulder buttons to that though

You should try to use the thing you plan on buying before you actually spend any money. See if you can find somebody who will let you borrow a stick, or (even better) a hitbox. Those things can be expensive paperweights if they don't pan out for you. That said, get a hitbox. Tits the breast controller ever.

Reactions: Makster