• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Horror Movies

Denizen

Retired Member
Reaction score
WELCOME TO THE HORROR MOVIES THREAD
My sister and I have recently gotten in the mood to be spooked, so we've been searching around for horror flicks that could satisfy our newfound desire. To make this search easier I've started this thread dedicated to discussion about all things Cinematic & Scary. The first thing I learned during this search is that MOVIES ARE NEVER SCARY.

Can somebody prove Zen wrong?

Have you watched all the classics yet?
e.g. Predator (1987), Poltergeist (1982 {If you do what this one, do some trivia searching on it afterwards. Trust me.}) Friday the 13th 2 (1981) Alien (1979), Dracula (1931), Nosferatu (1922)
The Ring (2002{Okay it's not a classic but I love it}).

If you don't watch a lot of classic films: remember that special effects were VERY limiting at the time and computers couldn't generate anything at all in terms of film making. Which, in my mind, is a refreshing step back from today 'overly CG' style.
It's not cheesy or tacky; it's charm.

Edit - Also the Invisible Man (1933)

Yeah I've watched all of them, well except for Nosferatu. However I'm looking for something that's actually going to make me shit my pants in terror, and none of those movies can do that. A Spanish Found Footage movie I watched recently called Atrocious was a step in the right direction, but it still wasn't enough.

In fact couple good examples of actually scary movies are Grave Encounters 1 & 2, and they're Found Footage.
By the way, Predator isn't Horror.

tvkdlk.gif

Actually butt flustered.

Reactions: Denizen
I love horror movies. However, I can't recommend movies that will scare you because that's very subjective. I mean, I was scared/disturbed by films like Suspiria, Black Christmas (the old one) and Evil Dead; but these films may not scare you. I was disturbed by Sleepaway Camp too (you'll know when you see it)

Lately I've been watching horror from the '30s. I love those films, they are so innocent that is almost cute lol

Well... it is "Science-Fiction Action Horror", so its a part of the horror family :D

The first thing I learned during this search is that MOVIES ARE NEVER SCARY.

I second that. Why? Well, I was afraid of movies, a few times when I was a kid. But I learned pretty quickly that no movie is "scary". What your imagination does with what your eyes saw, that’s scary. And since then I was never scared by any movie, ever again. Because I think movies do to well in showing you things, try to provoke fear. But when you see everything anyway, whats to be scared of? The only thing scary is, again, what you make up with your imagination.

I've read Bram Stokers Dracula not to long ago, and it was scary as fuck. Because I had only words to work with, everything else was in my head. And that’s were stuff goes scary.

So Denizen, if you have seen some movies that other declare "scary" and are not scared a bit, try a book. Either classics, or some modern stuff. I can really recommend Dean Koontz, his thrillers and horror story’s are really good. I know its not what you've searched for by creating this topic, at all, but its the best answer I can give you.

But, you should definitely watch some of the movies that will get mentioned here later on. You say you haven’t watched Nosferatu yet, do it! Its a masterpiece. If you cant watch it to be scared, watch it because its a piece of movie history. I had the luck to watch this movie on a big screen, boy was it awesome.

Yeah I've watched all of them, well except for Nosferatu. However I'm looking for something that's actually going to make me shit my pants in terror, and none of those movies can do that. A Spanish Found Footage movie I watched recently called Atrocious was a step in the right direction, but it still wasn't enough.

In fact couple good examples of actually scary movies are Grave Encounters 1 & 2, and they're Found Footage.
Have you watched REC? That's also a great Spanish found footage horror. V/H/S is also an interesting take on found footage horror.

But yeah, horror is very subjective and different people are scared by different things. I do enjoy all types of horror films but the ones that really get me are ghost stories. Monster horrors and psycho killer horrors don't scare me quite as much.

I'm not sure if you have checked out some Korean stuff but their supernatural horror movies are scary as shit. A good recommendation I can think off the top of my head right now is A Tale of Two Sisters.

stuff saying films can't be scary
I'd argue against that. Films are very much a visual art and I find the failings in a lot of horror movies is in the imagery. A lot of horror films, espicially modern ones, lean heavily on established imagery. Serial killers, satanism, aliens, spooky ghosties, bloody blood-red blood, shit like that. These are things that are tossed around so often to be scary so often that they simply no longer are scary. Unless you have an excedingly good director to pace the film through out all this tired schlock the movie doesn't just become unscary it more often than not becomes fucking boring.

Like you said, nothing is scarier than your own imagination. By that logic, when I pop in a horror movie I am basically challenging a director to give me something worse than I can ever possibly think of. This isn't easy. Everyone's had a nightmare at some point and knows how fucked up their own subconscious can be if allowed to run wild. This is part of the reason why forgein horror films are appealing because a different culture they will tackle themes and imagery in ways your culture never thought of.

Off the top of my head I can only think of 2 movies that do this sort of thing constitently; Begotten and Cannibal Halocaust. The latter does kinda cheat in this regard since it does shit like kill an actual innocent sea turtle while the actress actually cries because they are for real ripping a turtle in half Jesus Shitting Christ. I can still recommend that over Begotten though, which is a grainy silent film which tells the story of Genesis through creepy abstractions. It's as weird and pretentious as it sounds, but if it sounds up your it's free to watch on youtube.

I need to fucking go to bed.

Reactions: Caleb
Off the top of my head I can only think of 2 movies that do this sort of thing constitently; Begotten and Cannibal Halocaust.
A word of warning to anybody looking these movies up, they're seriously fucked up and I would only recommend them for the strong hearted and truly curious. The same goes for A Serbian Film, it's abhorrent just don't watch it.
In fact I would like to request that we just stay away from the realm of sexual assault and real animal violence.
We're here for spooks, I don't want anybody actually messing themselves up.

Last edited:
Can't mention old horror movies without their most famous parody.

I don't watch modern horror movies because I'm a little fragile kiddo, but I'm intrigued by distressing(?) documentaries, like this one:

Reactions: Denizen
In fact I would like to request that we just stay away from the realm of sexual assault and real animal violence.
We're here for spooks, I don't want anybody actually messing themselves up.

I see your point, but we're talking horror here, right? Those films are very disturbing and horrific, and for some people that's the thrill. It's extreme in Cannibal Holocaust, but that's the point of the film. And I know this leads to explicit gory films, yeah, the Guinea Pig series, german underground horror and stuff like mondo and Faces of Death. That's pure shock, but it scares people too. Personally I don't like because it can be very disturbing, and that's why they are made for.

I see your point, but we're talking horror here, right?
There's a difference between scary and outright harmful and immoral Caleb.
There's a reason those films are banned in several countries. I can't stop anyone from watching them, but I don't want a thread that I made to make it easier for people. Believe it or not I care about the well-being of others and watching certain films can actually put that at risk.

Last edited:
If you are still looking for some horror movies try Martyrs. I thought it was pretty good.

I found something good. Me and my sister decided to watch something we already saw years ago.
The Woman in Black, with Daniel Radcliffe. If you don't know who that is, it's motherfucking Harry Potter.
We completely forgot how terrifying and entertaining it is. I recommend it to everyone here.