• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

How can I use Hatred Guard effectively?

Graviiga

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Almost total novice/training room hero here, so forgive me if I'm asking something obvious--but I can't make Painwheel's Hatred Guard mechanic work for me. Other than occasionally catching a guy mashing c.lp during blockstrings or winning the odd air-to-air with j.HP, it doesn't feel like it's worth going for, especially since even when I DO catch someone with a pure focus attack they can usually just confirm into the rest of their combo anyways (or cancel to a special if they're quick).

Do you guys have any better luck, or is it just a highly situational mechanic? And if it is situational, when do you use it/what setups can you do to really make it shine?

Yeah its situational... use it against single hits, like jump-ins and such. I use s.MK to anti air, and c.MP for everything else. j.HP can be good, absorb a hit and fly cancel and keep going.
I use it to aa filia's iad hp hk, use c.mp or s.mk. works on para j.hp, bella's headbutt, dash-up lows, etc
Just try it against anything thats single hit or 2 hits that arent too fast, and it works with the right timing.

Last edited:
I use j.HP to absorb projectiles and close distance most of the times. I also like to guard Parasoul's j.HP (and other single hit jump-ins) with s.LP, it doesn't always work 'cause the hitbox sucks but is really neat when it does ^^. Use sMP, sMK or cMP like the other dude said and you're good. Don't abuse it thou, if they start using multi-hitting normals it won't work and you will get punished really hard.

Hatred guard is supposed to be used in tandem with painwheels flight... Theoretically speaking:

Hatred guard absorb any move or series of moves from the opponent hopefully giving painwheel a combo opportunity, and when the opponent starts to throw hatred guard, that's when you start to use fight as a reversal since it is airborn on frame 1.

Multihits should be blocked and punished since most special ove multihits are minus on block.

^^^ is I guess "somewhere" along the lines of how defensive painwheel is supposed to be played in mikes mind... Or at least how she's supposed to work in theory. In practice though, multihits are simply to strong and not minus enough on block to be punishable very often.

So basically the instant that painwheel starts to absorb stuff, the multihits come out, and at that point painwheel doesn't have the greatest answers. So armor basically forces a strategy that is hard for painwheel to counter from the opponent.

I once thought that charging armor moves while calling assist would be really good... And to be honest it isn't THAT bad... But age conveniently pointed out that simply blocking while calling assist was way better in almost all circumstances... And after that... There really is little reason to use painwheels armor except to reactively go through updo/pillar on those rare occasions where the spacing/timing and opponent predictability all coincide to make the reaction much easier to do, and in those off assist situations where painwheel wants to attack/defend while her assist is on lockout or cooldown...which is rare cause most players are just going to back up till the time wears off.

Her armor moves are basically a little bit better than garbage, most if not all of them confirm on hit into full combo... It's hitting with them, while also using the armor to absorb, that is the hard part.

If we look at sentinel as and hulks armor... Which are probably like the best armor attacks of any non boss/broken characters in any game, they have huge differences over painwheels armor attacks:

Don't require a charge
Armor past the first active frame
Huge hitboxes/range

In the PC version painwheels armor received some significant buffs before and after the hit, the affects after the hit are negligible, the affects before the hit have 2 huge buffs:

Armor starts up much quicker.
Armor is active to the first active frame.

But this is still mostly inconsequential since she still has those stubby normals, still plants herself in one spot, still has terrible startup via charge, and there are still lots of hard/impossible to punish on block multihit moves.

With all of that going on, her armor moves are just simply very hard to use effectively and could still use some buffs if the creator of them truly wishes to see them being used with frequency in competitive play.

And as far as buffing them AGAIN...well when they were as weak as they were... Which is somewhere between terrible and complete ass... It makes sense to buff them again.
Simply put, I won't use armor normals for anything other than shits and giggles if my armor continues to be so easy to break.

Why would I use a tool that doesn't work for what it's supposed to work for? And if it isn't supposed to beat multihits, which I agree with, then it basically isn't really designed to be a big part of her game since multihits in the form of actual multihit moves from the point character, or multihits in the form of multiple hits from the point character and assist combined, is so easy and rampant and safe.

TLDR, painwheels armor moves are to slow, and to small to be good unless I'm missing something BIG.

It is situational.

j.hp can make it impossible for para to zone you or sniper super you out of air. It also takes some teeth from her phenomenal air priority (though marginally). Though, it is all but worthless in mirror, Val, or Double MUs. It can be of some tiny use vs Squigs j.hp (a move that seems designed exclusively to counter PW), but I still prefer j.hk vs it.

A clutch charged s.hp has saved me. It isn't ever a guarantee, but if you are getting bullied and find a fraction of space it can be of some use. Same with charged c.hk.

Charged s.mp can be of some use on jump ins. I like it vs Bella and Filia, but the timing can be hairy.

You can also use them for burst baits as PW won't get pushbacked. I also like it vs stupid MF lp mashers.

That said, it really is situational. You'll get a feel for it eventuallu, but it is one of the later things I'd put time into learning.

If the opponent is being obvious with a certain string, however, a well-placed armored normal can lead to humongous amounts of damage.

What's vulnerable to armor is on a case-by-case basis, however. It's not a universal option.

Let's break it down, now that I have more time. I will refer to fully charged only:

s.LP/cr.LP (1 Hit) - Will beat other LPs when done 1 frame before before the opponent presses LP (Provided they chain into a medium). It will work better when done a bit earlier than one frame before they smash on LP, as your LP will connect sooner after absorption. Done too soon and you may trade or whiff.

cr.MP (2 Hit) - Will universally beat out most Light->Medium hit-confirms, along with Light->Light->Medium confirms provided you start the cr.MP 3-7 frames before the opponent hits a button (If the confirm starts with a LP. If they use an LK, which starts way slower, you have far more leeway). If they bank on a slow-ass series of single-hit normals, you're pretty much guaranteed a successful punish with armor.

cr.MP also hits BEHIND you, or can catch an opponent who's crossed up and tried to stick a normal into the active frames. Your s.HP chain will then auto-correct and you still get a full combo.

s.MK (2 Hit) - Same as cr.MP, pretty much. Won't hit behind you though.

s.MP (2 Hit) - Same application. Higher vertical hitbox. Doesn't hit behind you either.

s.HP (3 Hit) - Will beat out certain strings of predictable normals, much like the rest. If you're feeling gutsy, you can also do it very early to absorb an assist call and predicted series of attacks. (One example is HK.Bomber+Peacock Teleport into Hit-Confirm). Many times, it may be more useful to cancel the startup of this move after absorption into a Buer or flight to either get some damage or steal away the offense. These are not safe, however. Use this wisely. Due to the startup, it's sometimes easier to get tagged at random while using.

When using Hatred Install, all of these get +1 hit of armor. So what kind of hit-confirms they can punish grows by a huge margin, to the point where multi-hit moves can be fully absorbed in some cases.

Remember, in most cases, a well-placed multi-hit will eat Hatred Guard outright, but most people don't make use of it due to scaling. Sweeps will also break armor.

Last edited:
Good stuff so far. I want to add that while doing your own blockstrings you can use the charged normals as a pushblock bait.

Besides trying to get through bad blockstrings, I sometimes will try to pre-emptively catch things with armor, especially if they like to reversal super. If it's a super that at close range you can not react with, counter super, armor > death crawl will work, most of the time anyway.

Faking HG is fantastic for j.HP imo.

I get a lot of mileage out of either charging it up and either cancelling into flight before it comes out, or halfway through. It's always worth considering against people trying to challenge you with high-priority air to air fights like Parasoul's j.HP or j.HK. Just be smart and mix it up with other things like j.MK/j.HK or air buers, as they have other options (fiber, napalm, j.LP > j.MP air strings) if you stay stale.

Other than that, I use it to cut through assists. j.HP cancelled into j.HK (land) is a great way to convert botched assists into happy birthday combos.

On the ground, I love using hatred guard as some extra punishment for blocked supers with big hits at the end. Fortune's explosion's second hit, Bella's Dynamo's last punch, etc. On top of allowing you to deal some unscaled damage at the start of your combo, the crumple of c.HP gives you a free dash/flight window to scoot them closer to the corner.

Everyone else covered the jump-in/iad use cases much better than I can, but to add something general, I'd say it's worth considering how to set up hate guards with pushblocks. I use it a lot against valentine's IAD j.HP when they're playing really fast/loose, as well as (admittedly bad) filias from time to time.

Also, Squigly can be MURDERED for her block strings if she doesn't start clipping her strings early. It's a neat tool for dive kicks too.

It's been a while since anyone has posted in here, but would anyone happen to know prearmor startup for each strength, like how long it takes for armor to be active in the charge

It's been a while since anyone has posted in here, but would anyone happen to know prearmor startup for each strength, like how long it takes for armor to be active in the charge
I measured this a while ago, by recording it at 10% speed and comparing the frame data ticker with when the lightning effect showed up

s.lp: 4
c.lp: 7
s.mp: 6
c.mp: 8
s.mk: 8
s.hp: 15
c.hp: 16
c.hk: 5

j.hp: 3

Reactions: Hilary and NCV
I kind of find it hard to believe that cr hp and st hp are 15 and 16 frames respectively. @Mike_Z I asked you earlier in kenin's stream chat but you didn't end up responding. Are these frames correct?

I kind of find it hard to believe that cr hp and st hp are 15 and 16 frames respectively. @Mike_Z I asked you earlier in kenin's stream chat but you didn't end up responding. Are these frames correct?
Yeah thats what i was thinking as well cause mike said all the frames were sped up, but those frames that zeknife is coming with look like the old vanilla frames... Which if correct means that the only armor buff that painwheel received was having them go into first active frame... Which if this is true, who even knows if its in first active frames for all the armor moves... It may just be some.

All i know is that armor still isnt super useful for me... The onl person ive seen use it any kind of consistently effectively is magicman and he plays mostly against solos so... That kinda explains that.

I guess to be a truly unique Painwheel player(because I complain about her lack of variety in combos), I should get in the Training Dojo and practice!

@WrestlerGuile

I've not found too much a need to mix up the combos, just the reset points.

And her reset game is scary enough that even given a predictable reset point, you're going to get miles out of it.

Looked at scripts.

Frames before armor starts if you are holding the button:
s.LP 3
s.MP 5
s.MK 7
s.HP 7

c.LP 3
c.MP 7
c.HP 9
c.HK 4

j.HP 2
Sounds like the visual effect for s.HP and c.HP wasn't updated whenever the armor startup for those moves was made shorter
Edit: c.LP as well

Last edited:
Cr.hk might be the new truth.

I've used it for armoring something I don't want to block and then just cancelling to nail/flight, not unlike jHP > cancel.

The armor startup always seemed fast for sure, but painwheel reduces her size so much.

I've never used it really outside of burst baits. But seeing the armor start-up is that fast it has certainly turned into something I will try to abuse. Low profile and pink bounce on charge makes it an all around package.

How many hits can hatred guard take for each attack? This I need to know to be a better Painwheel main.

I didn't know that c.hk was that fast, so that may be my new go to, but hg c.mp in the corner is a pretty solid reversal option. You can get an easy combo out of it, and it takes more people by surprise than you'd think.

There's a PW floating around who makes great use of the PW won't die installed hg bonus (you won't die to damage that would normally kill you if you are installed and in hg). It cost me a match because I completely forgot about it.

Sounds like the visual effect for s.HP and c.HP wasn't updated whenever the armor startup for those moves was made shorter
Edit: c.LP as well
GAH.
Yeah and in frame-by-frame it appears two frames later than the armor starts on everything, I dunno what is up with that but I will fix that too.

Cr.hk has always had an armor startup of 4... Since vanilla iirc, the problem in vanilla and subsequent versions till mde was that it had the highest amount of deadzone (inactive armor frames before the active frames) it had some ludicrous number like 10-18 unarmored frames before the active frames kicked in. Best way to use the move was to to use the quick armor frames to protect against attack, and simultaneously call a quick assist like updo to cover its unarmored frames.

The move is still really really good for fakes and stuff on offense since its comboable from full charge yet cancelable before hit into a high. Its weakness is a rather terrible hitbox for people in the air or behind you. Best used in frame traps and mixups, not really at neutral.

- 3 Meters
- 4 Meters

... Um should probably be in the combo thread, not the hatred guard thread. Nice combos either way, but i wont be burning 4 bars for 10k anytime soon, but still, nice combos.

My bad. When I saw this thread, I thought I can show how you can combo off of Hatred Install. Will post more Hatred Install combos somewhere else on the Painwheel Combo Forum