• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

How do you think Dahlia will play?

Bankenstein8

Reaction score
Big Band Beowulf Unknown
Thought it would be nice to have a thread for this now that the next DLC character has been revealed. They haven't posted anything yet about her current planned playstyle but she does have a description from a while ago about potential gameplay.

be36bf90ce.png

old description

Reactions: tristePinguino
After Umbrella who is a very complicated character, Dahlia being a more straightforward character to play would be nice.

Like Annie, her gameplay description is very vague and describes her aesthetic more than it describes her gameplay style, so I think the devs are given a pretty free rein on what they could do with her.

Her most prominent gimmick is that her attacks are supposed to be deceptive, with different attacks having the same start-up but potentially different follow-ups. It sounds cool on paper, but I have always wondered if that is gonna be really effective in a game like Skullgirls? The game is so fast and mix-up heavy anyway that I'm not sure if Dahlia's mix-up gimmick would be significantly better than existing characters' mix-ups without being broken. I'm really interested to see what can be done with this, if anything.

I'm a simple man with a simple vision born partially from the Adam threads of the old forum. Give this Lady some kind of limited ammo system, nothing crazy but I imagine the perfume bombs could be turned into something like Johnny's coins. In this case coat the opponent in some funky fragrance which would cause certain attacks (I'm seeing a fair number of fire ones in her concept) to deal extra damage.

The description of misleading attack animations makes me think of something like Parasoul, and to a lesser extent Squigly, being able to chain multiple highs and lows together in quick succession and kara-cancelling overheads into lows and such. Some of the characters, especially BB Hood, in her inspiration list also suggest strong trap & projectile based pressure, and her concept art looks like she'll have a bunch of good midrange tools. Question is, how will she be distinguished from other characters who have similar strengths? Maybe compared to Parasoul she'll wanna be a bit closer and more aggressive, giving up defensive tools and long range space control in exchange for better pressure. Or maybe she'll be like a mid range version of Pea and lock you down with a billion projectiles, from just out of your reach instead of fullscreen, that could make for a fun matchup.

Reactions: Holy Goose
old description
So just going off of this list this is mostly a combination of gunplay and counter-focused characters, so I'll take a stab at some central ideas from each character that could be applied.
Cable: Grenades, Scimitar (please god no)
Hol Horse: Glass shatter, air bullets, maybe something crazy like the pipe bank shot super
Chris: Grenades (special), prone stance, grenade launcher super
BB Hood: Mines (HK buttons), Missiles, guard cancel teleport, Huntsman super (maybe sub in Medici goons)
Justice: Tail counter, nukes (maybe with those perfume grenades?), mayybee Strike Back Tail, mayybee Gamma Ray as a really out there level 3 or level 5 to go with the hidden mechanical body theme.
Genjuro: Card slash rekka and projectiles subbed with the doilies
Darkwing Duck: uhhhh
Cammy: Hooligan Combo, Cannon Revenge, Killer Bee Assault (guessing this specifically is why mvc2 cammy was cited instead of SF versions)
Meta Knight: Dimensional Cape (Down B), Darkness Illusion (Brawl Final Smash)

That's what I got. Keep in mind how Umbrella turned out was pretty different from the initial speculation so I'm not getting too carried away this time. It also helps that I don't really play any of her inspirations this time around.

Give this Lady some kind of limited ammo system, nothing crazy but I imagine the perfume bombs could be turned into something like Johnny's coins.
The ammo system feels pretty obvious, but I hope it would be saved for a certain suffering babysitter.
But perfume bomb seems like an amazing concept. I wish it would be implemented.

I hope we'll see the animation streams for Black Dahlia this month. It would give some basis for speculation. Now it feels like we don't have any material at all.

The ammo system feels pretty obvious, but I hope it would be saved for a certain suffering babysitter.
But perfume bomb seems like an amazing concept. I wish it would be implemented.

I hope we'll see the animation streams for Black Dahlia this month. It would give some basis for speculation. Now it feels like we don't have any material at all.
I was expecting them to do a write up post like Umbrella got on steam when she was announced talking a bit about what the plans were for her gameplay currently, but maybe they’re just waiting until a bit later to do that.

I was expecting them to do a write up post like Umbrella got on steam when she was announced talking a bit about what the plans were for her gameplay currently, but maybe they’re just waiting until a bit later to do that.
I think we'll get it around the first Dahlia stream.

Reactions: BellaFeng4Eternity
I think (gameplay-side) devs are pretty busy crunching to get Umbrella's beta release out. I imagine once that's done and they have more time we'll get more details about that.

I've also always imagined Black Dahlia playing similarly to Parasoul, with her "deception" showing itself in multiple standing normals that hit high or low. And on that note, I've wondered if Dahlia would have the ability to command her Bunny troops (?) in battle like Parasoul commands Egrets. I don't imagine Black Dahlia is lacking in firepower, but maybe we could see attacks like Sabretooth's Armed Birdie or Heavy Armed Birdie (MvC2).

Party_Crashed.png

Black Bunnies???

Her "misleading" attacks could also take the form of something similar to Ms. Fortune's Cat Scratch: rekka sequences with multiple endings/finishers or paths.

I know she's not listed as an inspiration, but I wonder if Black Dahlia will have attacks similar to Samus' in Smash Bros. I only say this because the last sketch in that concept sheet always reminds me of Samus' forward-air and up-smash.

And on that note, I've wondered if Dahlia would have the ability to command her Bunny troops (?) in battle like Parasoul commands Egrets. I don't imagine Black Dahlia is lacking in firepower, but maybe we could see attacks like Sabretooth's Armed Birdie or Heavy Armed Birdie (MvC2).
Yeah I see Dahlia as more of a lone wolf type, so I don't feel something like Egret call would suit her. But I can definitely see one or two of her supers utilising them similarly to Inferno Brigade or even Nightmare Legion.

dahlia can still be simple while maintaining depth. Like robo. I hope she gets as many odd & unusual tools w/synergy. Umbrella shows promise for a new interesting frontier. Like the idea of different ammo as well as equipping different attachments (like in the art) of flamethrowers or a grappling hook. that was sickkk.

i think my biggest wonder is will attacks be the usual ballistics with 3 strengths/angles? or will there be some sort of manual aim? Like stick shooters where you can aim the literal angle of the gun (Mai a la blazblue). Either way, it's exciting to finally think about a hybrid zoner that's not peacock/robo lol

Edit for idea: Overkill Mechanic — not exactly sure what or how something could be done with overkill damage in an interesting way, but for resident grenade launcher/gun character feels very appropriate. perhaps extra damage is tacked onto special super or something. Secondary overkill mechanic is getting bonus or extra functionality after she dispatches someone. since she’s a mercenary & derives enjoyment from working with the medicis to scratch that itch. Bloodlust bonus. I hope there’s something innovative either way :)

Last edited:
Reading her old description and after playing Guilty Gear Strive, I think the mobility (including air mobility) and mix-up potential of Millia Rage would fit Black Dahlia really well.

I hope she gets justice nukes and AHVB in addition to michael sword and a DOT like dhalsim's flame carpet thing.
A decent AA button would be cool too, maybe not a DP, I'm hoping she falls more in line with the zoner archertype and focuses on maintaining a far away game.

I honestly hope she plays a lot like Saki from TvC I know that's not on the inspiration list but I think she should be considered. Maybe even some viewtiful joe

And most importantly, she does chip, lots of it.

Last edited: