• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Hype and Skullgirls

dapurplesharpie

palette 7 eliza player
Reaction score
Steam
dapurplesharpie
Eliza
I've been casting for awhile now. (Is 2 months considered a long time? I don't think it is.)

What do you guys consider to be hype?
I may just be really fucking jaded and completely ruined by eSports and Smash Bros, but like some of these SG vids don't have commentary hype.

Am I just looking at the wrong videos or watching the wrong commentators?
I'm going mostly off some of the EVO games.

At evo the hype was more in the crowds than it was on commentary. I liked the commentary a lot at evo though and we never got to hear @GeneralMunoz 's commentary for top 32 which sucks.

Other than that there isn't much hype because the good players don't get to play people outside of their region and we're all pretty much used to everything that goes on by now. iunno

Reactions: Slap
I've been casting for awhile now. (Is 2 months considered a long time? I don't think it is.)

What do you guys consider to be hype?
I may just be really fucking jaded and completely ruined by eSports and Smash Bros, but like some of these SG vids don't have commentary hype.

Am I just looking at the wrong videos or watching the wrong commentators?
I'm going mostly off some of the EVO games.

A lot of the evo games got cut from stream.

Yo if you want me to call some matches and be hype as hell I'll give it a shot. Most of y'all probably laugh at me but fuck it I'll give it a shot.

comebacks are hype
But the gameplay's not important! You should know that!
We need people to say "what is this!? Look! Wow! I can't believe it! There's the reset, gets off the grab, wow! I can't believe what I'm seeing! Evo 2015, everybody! And there it is! Skullgirlsfanboy wins Evo!!!!!!! I never should've doubted you!"

Or something like that.

I usually don't get hyped up by commentary, the game and what's happening has to get me excited. The commentators can increase my hype, though, which is always good.

We need people to say "what is this!? Look! Wow! I can't believe it! There's the reset, gets off the grab, wow! I can't believe what I'm seeing! Evo 2015, everybody! And there it is! Skullgirlsfanboy wins Evo!!!!!!! I never should've doubted you!"

This is the hype I'm used to.

But the gameplay's not important! You should know that!

Or something like that.
Damn, they're on to my master plan...

Then what's the problem?

That "hype" isn't properly translated in several other videos at all.
1/49 videos with hype doesn't make hype.

I usually don't get hyped up by commentary, the game and what's happening has to get me excited. The commentators can increase my hype, though, which is always good.
I honestly thought the finals of EVO this year were pretty hype. But you really, really cannot compare Fighting Game esports casting and other Esports casting.

Evo top 4 at least felt all over the place.
But since I was in the crowd it hardly mattered.
Also whoever was the guy that said "Let me see some semi colon underscore semi colon in the chat" was pretty funny, I don't remember who that was.

The Evo commentary situation was a mess because Top 32 was lost and Top 4 had the worst commentator setup I've ever seen. Hopefully, supposing any are streamed, this next year of majors will be better.

Then what's the problem? The commentary's awesome, in that case! I win Evo in it! That's huge!:PUN:
Kind of hard to win Evo when you don't go to tournaments.

Evo top 4 at least felt all over the place.
But since I was in the crowd it hardly mattered.
Also whoever was the guy that said "Let me see some semi colon underscore semi colon in the chat" was pretty funny, I don't remember who that was.
You're welcome.

Yeah commentating at EVO was hard.

Sorry that I suck.

SG only has a handful of commentators that actually understand how the game works.

Very few try to "be hype" and just prefer to be intelligent and lay down facts.

SG rarely gets showcased at tournaments so none of us can really practice and we rarely get footage of games WITH commentary.

Since its also a "side game" at most tournaments, this somehow makes it okay for anybody and I mean anybody to get on the mic and commentate which usually leads to people who are unaware of how the game works.

Broken Loose/McPeanuts/Munoz/Duckator are about as good as it gets when it comes to commentary, in terms of people who are still active in the scene.

Once upon a time the game mattered enough to where Ultradavid was commentating, that was awesome.

POS is pretty good too!

Another issue is that the game is not ALL that exciting unless you have backstory/inner community hype/SUPPORT FOR THE EAST. So that can also be an issue.

Reactions: mcpeanuts
The Evo commentary situation was a mess because Top 32 was lost and Top 4 had the worst commentator setup I've ever seen. Hopefully, supposing any are streamed, this next year of majors will be better.

Kind of hard to win Evo when you don't go to tournaments.

You're welcome.
I TRIED to make it, if that helps...

In an ideal world, we'd be able to do all casts sports style. You have the Smart Guy who knows the mechanics and can explain the how's and why's. You have the Color Guy who explains the who's and what's. Sometimes you have the Stats Guy who does the numbers. The Color Guy makes the game accessible. A spectator doesn't really need to know the mechanics of the game if the Color Guy is doing a good job. The Color Guy brings up the excitement level. Smart Guy is there to bring up the knowledge of the game. This way, the spectators can get excited by the Color Guy, then start to understand the game because of the Smart Guy. There's usually crossover between Smart Guy and Color Guy, but the separation allows the audience to better follow what's happening in the game.

Commentary at Evo was really tough lol. We did our best with what we had but I definitely felt out of my element there. Broken Loose had a good idea which was each commentator would stand behind one of the players, that way we would be able to see the other commentator and see when they were about to start speaking, the idea being we could avoid talking over each other. In practice it didn't really work since I couldn't see Broken Loose and the game at the same time.

Uh, commentary is really hard! You gotta try not to talk over the other commentator if there is one, need to try to avoid stuttering, swearing (on PG streams), talking too much, talking too little... sometimes something happens and you wanna explain it but the explanation takes so long that something else interesting starts happening (the James Chen effect). There's a lot of nuance to it, I have a lot more respect for good commentators now that I know what goes into it. And on top of all that I'm supposed to bring the hype and get everyone real excited about what's happening? I do my best but I think it takes a lot to really do commentary well.

My favorite commentates are Day 9 (starcraft) and Yipes MVC3 and even though yipes knows the game he talks about lots of random stuff in the game. I think commentators in fighting games should concentrate on hype first cause hype brings in the new players. The friends I have decided to pick up MVC3 (and not skullgirls) because of the hype! (and because they are sheep)