• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

I found Painwheel's airdash

She'll now enter blockstun, but if you actually get it from the unfly animation she's only in blockstun for 1/4 as long as normal. Still a large advantage if you can manage to block within that short window, just not zero frames.
For a character "that isn't bottom", that's a pretty huge buff (- compared to what people did, not compared to what was in the game);
1/4th blockstun still makes every(?) safe-on-block AA in the game unsafe against it; while PW is just blocking if she mistimed it.

How does it work against multihit stuff, does only the first hit get 1/4th blockstun or the entire string? I presume the former~

For a character "that isn't bottom", that's a pretty huge buff (- compared to what people did, not compared to what was in the game);
1/4th blockstun still makes every(?) safe-on-block AA in the game unsafe against it; while PW is just blocking if she mistimed it.

How does it work against multihit stuff, does only the first hit get 1/4th blockstun or the entire string? I presume the former~

The former, and isn't she supposed to be good in the air?
If it ends up dumb it'll go back to 1/2 or regular, but it's less of an advantage than it was. :^P

Reactions: Hilary and gllt
But since she's effectively had zero blockstun from that animation for a couple of months now, apparently, perhaps I can fix that up a bit and make it a thing.
OMG PLEASE DO THIS IS MY NEW FAVORITE THING EVER.

I'd never!! You are one of the few cool people in this community, please clone yourself or something.

But PW has had a SAFE PARRY for several months now, and nobody noticed? Come onnn guise pls

No one was using unfly... For kinda obvious reasons (just fastfall with a normal instead) in almost every case where a pw would want to unfly, she doesnt have the reaction time to do so. In cases where she can unfly (sniper shot against a flying pw) she can armor instead, or is in the middle of a move and cant unfly.

The biggest utility of unfly has always been 2 fold in other games:

1. To reactively cancel normals in response to super freeze (which mike thinks is broken, and is why she cant use unfly in that way)
2. To do do unfly combos... But pw can already do those combos without needing to unfly.

So after that, there isnt much utility to use unfly except to bait unsafe on block things... Which is ridiculously hard and generally not worth it as any kind of long winded strategy.

The only real good use for unfly that i ever found was using it as an empty jump out of fly while calling an assist so that pw could convert as she landed. But even then it was still kinda dubious cause unfly forward momentum is bad, and pw conversion skills arent the greatest.

Unfly was welcome, but finding a place for the "SG" version of unfly was difficult in game, so its no wonder that it takes this long to find...

But now that this is known... I see people using it more as there is incentive to actually blocking an attack... Before there was NO incentive to block an attack rather than the better option of simply out ranging said attack or falling to the ground.

Reactions: digits
I'm pretty sure Unfly only exists because of A-Train.

Reactions: Spencer
The former, and isn't she supposed to be good in the air?
If it ends up dumb it'll go back to 1/2 or regular, but it's less of an advantage than it was. :^P

I can promise you that I will do very annoying things with this.

But judging by everyone's glazed-over reaction when I say "Air PBGC [Thresher | jHP armor | Fly] is actually great what are you doing", I'm guessing no one else will actually use this long-term though.

This was a good time to switch to Painwheel.

I'd be curious to see how this plays out.

I'd be interested in some higher level player's opinions on it (NCV, Elda, Negus) once it has had time to percolate.

I'd be equally interested in actual gameplay videos putting this to good use.

My prediction is that its strengths are overstated, and it will be used as the magic bullet by non-PW players for the next 6 months, "You just need to airblock..."

I'm rooting for it though. I think PW needs a tiny TLC to push from the bottom tier (where she is consistently placed) to middle tier (I'd like to see it in the form of some meter gain, but whatever).

She can armor an air to air attempt by the opponent(which gives her a damage buff on the next hatred normal) then fly cancel > air normal. So does this new thing give a better advantage than that (after mike's change)? Beause I only see this being really useful if you are going to be chipped out.

She can armor an air to air attempt by the opponent(which gives her a damage buff on the next hatred normal) then fly cancel > air normal. So does this new thing give a better advantage than that (after mike's change)? Beause I only see this being really useful if you are going to be chipped out.
What

Reactions: mcpeanuts
What does this new thing do better than charge j.hp?

What does this new thing do better than charge j.hp?
from what I understand you can absorb all the possible hits off of j.hp and then go into the gaurd cancel to prevent you from getting counterhit then act almost right out of it in order to counter

from what I understand you can absorb all the possible hits off of j.hp and then go into the gaurd cancel to prevent you from getting counterhit then act almost right out of it in order to counter
Er, no, you still have to fly again from the j.HP to do this.

What it does better than j.HP, now that she gets put into blockstun, is not lose to multihit moves by putting you into blockstun rather than hitstun. It also has zero startup from flying, whereas j.HP has non-armored startup frames.
What it does worse is not allow you to immediately counter after being touched, but since you experience very short blockstun it's still pretty fast.

Reactions: Arcana and Adeveis
Parry Wheel we in there