• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

I'a! I'a! Cthulhu Mythos Thread

Call of Cthulhu isn't always a death fetish fest for the Keeper, it just happens that the deck is always stacked against you slightly, or it's an uphill battle. Even when you win, it's usually a small victory.

Funnily enough, that reminds me. I have a Campaign Book, Shadows of Yog-Sothoth, which was the first campaign book, and holy fuck is it dated, even with a rerelease.
The book has a scenario (in the campaign) that is essentially there to kill off any player characters that survived that long into the campaign, and it includes a shoggoth, the worm that walks, and other assassins, so I can see how it'd get a rep for every PC dying.

'S why I'm kinda curious in Pulp Cthulhu, since that's designed to have more of an adventure movie feel

By pulp cthlulhu do you mean Trial of Cthluhu using the Gumshoe system?

Well it's a cosmic horror story rpg that tries to be accurate to the source material. Dying, being eaten, or going insane is kinda the point and the fun methinks :3

By the way, do you still play these sorts of games PaperBag_Sniper? I'd be down with having you as a GM.

I've never died in a CoC campaign, but I've definitely ended up a severe alcoholic. And imprisoned. and that one time i technically committed an act of mass terror. I dunno if that one should count though, since it prevented even masser terror

that one time i technically committed an act of mass terror. I dunno if that one should count though, since it prevented even masser terror
Suddenly flashbacks to Old Man Henderson

By pulp cthlulhu do you mean Trial of Cthluhu using the Gumshoe system?
Pulp Cthulhu is a supplement for Call of Cthulhu where there's more action, your heroes have less risk of dying, and in general feels more like a pulpy adventure movie.

Well it's a cosmic horror story rpg that tries to be accurate to the source material. Dying, being eaten, or going insane is kinda the point and the fun methinks :3

By the way, do you still play these sorts of games PaperBag_Sniper? I'd be down with having you as a GM.
I've been wanting to play some Call of Cthulhu, the problem is I'm still waiting for Physical Editions to hit Amazon or the Chaosium Store, won't be long now.

Reactions: PaperBag_Sniper
We need a Skullheart group.

I've been told Dungeons and Dragons 5e is a good place to start, but that any place is fine. I like the settings in Shadowrun and Exalted, so I'd be down for those too.

I know a girl who's big into Warhammer 40k, and kinda turned me on to it, so Dark Heresy might be interesting too.

Are we actaully gonna have a TTRPG group? Because I'd love that, there's a ton of TTRPGs I wanna play, but can't DM (Call of Cthulhu or All Flesh Must Be Eaten are all I could handle)

I'd be down for Pathfinder, D&D 5E, and down for Dark Heresy, though I'm curious if anyone would also wanna play any World of Darkness (or Chronicles of Darkness) things too?
We might wanna make this a thread so we don't get too off-track

But hell yeah I'd play Call of Cthulhu w/ Skullheart

So far we have 2 players then, need maybe 1-2 more as I understand + a gm.

World of Darkness is a little bit depressing for my tastes (you might say the same of 40k, but that universe is arguably a bit more tounge in cheek and brings a lot of fun, lovably over the top shit to the table). I do find the premise of Demon: The Descent to be hella cool though.

Yeah, 3-5 Players is idea, plus GM, so just ask around.

Both Worlds of Darkness are really fun and cool though, so it's possible to work with it.

We have a thread where we could talk more about a group and stuff though

Back to Cthulhu, though!
While we're on tabletop though, Call of Cthulhu, a thing I really like is there you have a metric ton of settings, not just counting Lovecraft Country and the Dream Lands, there's also Ancient Rome, Victorian London, Modern days...there's even a few for far off future stuff.

Been a while, but tons of news.

Pulp Cthulhu (Action-y Call of Cthulhu, less chance of dying) finally came out, there's a Kickstarter for the 7th Edition version of Cthulhu Invictus (setting books for that setting specifically coming, plus scenario books), and on top of all that, Chaosium is churning out a ton of new books in the pipeline soon, including "On Darker Trails", which is a book to take Call of Cthulhu to the Wild West, should be fun.

That not enough? Here's another Call of Cthulhu game trailer

Another bump, but this is pretty wicked.

Achtung! Cthulhu! A series of books on roleplaying Cthulhu (in eihter 6th Edition, or Savage Worlds) is up to 70% off for a MONTH on Drivethru RPG, you can get the bundle of pretty mcuh every book for as low as $44.

Secondly, On Darker Trails has released.
For all y'all that want your Cthulhu with a dash of Wild West flavor.

Also 'cuz you're good eggs, another nother Call of Cthulhu Game Trailer