• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

USA Ideas For CB2017 Exhibition(s?)

an auction tournament sounds cool. here is my issue with it.

(no point in bothering if the highest bid is gonna be like $13)

this might be hyperbolic but kazmer does have a point. To be blunt, a lot of people in the SGC are younger, college/high school age, and probably wouldn't really be in a position to drop a lot of money in an auction tournament. Other communities I've seen auction tournaments in (like marvel and SFV) have bigger communities so just by nature of numbers you'll find more people who can afford (or who would be willing) to put money down. SG while growing is still relatively small so it'd be harder to find as many people. While the concept of having an SG auction tournament is cool I don't feel like it would be that successful.

I've mentioned it to both Kai and Kenin, but I'm trying to put together enough potential teams for an auction tourney. I'd like to do Marvel style where the auctioneer announces the team name without naming the characters/assists. That said, we'd be pretty poverty. I mean, would team Lab 8 make more than $20?

To be blunt, a lot of people in the SGC are younger, college/high school age, and probably wouldn't really be in a position to drop a lot of money in an auction tournament.

As an aside, I'm still pissed at the MikeZ and Kazmer collusion to steal my $10 in that Top 8 match. I know Kazmer had some fucking inside info there and even though I can't prove it, just know I know. I FUCKING KNOW.

Okay, but on the real, that's a valid concern. We could actually use SaltyBucks as an example here. What if everyone gets SGMoney based off where they placed in the tournament or how far they got out of pools?

For example, Winners Finals place gets $500 SGM (skullgirls money), Loser's Finals get $300, etc. Instead of the end game prize being real money, what if the winner received a signed poster from L0 and a limited time, special edition item?

We'd need to do a lot of backend work, but it would help include people who can't necessarily pay to play, while still rewarding people that registered for tournament.

o yeah if we DO end up having an auction tournament DEFINITELY do what CB did last year where the teams were named, not the characters. I watched the auction this year and its a lot less exciting when everyone knows exactly what they're getting imo.

o yeah if we DO end up having an auction tournament DEFINITELY do what CB did last year where the teams were named, not the characters. I watched the auction this year and its a lot less exciting when everyone knows exactly what they're getting imo.
If there's an auction I will go ham on any team that sounds like it might have Peacock in it

Reactions: Lawnalog
SG ham. 10 dollars and a slice of pizza with pineapple on it.

I really am not interested in running an auction tournament for SG for multiple reasons I can bring up later.

But if ANYONE else wants to do it by all means go for it!

So an auction tournament is a good idea but I don't think it's the best choice for an exhibition. As a side tournament its a great idea but the only problem is that an auction benefits the people at the tournament while a team tournament/exhibition is more interesting from a spectators point of view. That's just my opinion but if we have to have one or the other a team thing would be better.

Im definitely for old vs new. Sounds different and fun.

I think an auction tournament would be best with just solos. Plus it'll make the matches a good deal different from what we'll see in bracket.

-2v2 Typing of the Skullgirls Team Tourney

-Shadow Battles

Last edited:
Reactions: Broseidon Rex
-2v2 Typing of the Skullgirls Team Tourney

-Shadow Battles
TotSG won't work unless there are PS3 or PC setups. PS4 will not accept keyboards at all from what Mike told me.

It shouldn't be too difficult to find one or more PS3's to use for an after hours exhibition. Should it?

Reactions: Chip Blaster
I've mentioned it to both Kai and Kenin, but I'm trying to put together enough potential teams for an auction tourney. I'd like to do Marvel style where the auctioneer announces the team name without naming the characters/assists. That said, we'd be pretty poverty. I mean, would team Lab 8 make more than $20?
TEAM VAL-ABLE

Reactions: mcpeanuts
Most of these suggestions fall under "fun side events" as opposed to "THE EXHIBITION" that i'm looking for, but cool ideas.

That sounds cool as fuck.

Look, whatever. You don't have to run The Typing of the Skullgirls. If you don't, I will.

Why not have Team Sonic vs Team Sage where they each draft 10 players and coach them?

Thats why I want to do Old School vs New School because that itself is a good idea but OS v NS also means they'd be on separate teams.

that itself is a good idea
Honestly, I disagree, because that's just going to end up being the same people from the "East Coast vs The World" exhibition, which was the same people from the top 8/16 again. How many Sonicfox vs Dekillsage Grand Finals matches do you want to watch?

I dont see anything wrong showcasing more top lay, call me crazy I guess haha ;-;

Reactions: Pickles
Devil's Advocacy: Showcasing the same players from last year or showing combinations of players likely in or from Top 8 is likely less interesting than a good character showcase to outsiders. Exception is if beef is involved since people want storylines over everything.

Hmm back to the drawing board then I guess hMmmMmMmMmM

We do have a significant lack of beef in our community.

Personally, I blame ClawsomeBombs. It's gotta be all his fault, that nerd. >:0

Devil's Advocacy: Showcasing the same players from last year or showing combinations of players likely in or from Top 8 is likely less interesting than a good character showcase to outsiders. Exception is if beef is involved since people want storylines over everything.
Seconding this

I'm personally super down for Old School vs New School and I think it would make two VERY interesting teams.

Theoretical candidates (and i'm sure im missing a ton)

Old School
Sonic, Kenin, Wing, Severine, McPeanuts, Duckator, Taluda(?), TJ,

New School
Cloudking, Sage, Lazy, Shade, Liam, PME, Fuzzy, Yaya(?), Mocktopus, Fosh

Like just on paper this sounds very good and should leave to some great matches. In all honesty I don't think there are many other good themes/ideas yet? I'm not for doing an auction tournament because I personally don't find them interesting.

I really like the idea of doing something with international players but don't have anything concrete besides my 2v2 idea.

EDIT: Amazing triple post fuck my internet

Last edited:
now i kinda want a super-old-school team of pre-release players

Seconding this

I'm personally super down for Old School vs New School and I think it would make two VERY interesting teams.

Theoretical candidates (and i'm sure im missing a ton)

Old School
Sonic, Kenin, Wing, Severine, McPeanuts, Duckator, Taluda(?), TJ,

New School
Cloudking, Sage, Lazy, Shade, Liam, PME, Fuzzy, Yaya(?), Mocktopus, Fosh

I think the old school vs. new school idea is neat, but if you're trying to showcase a some more fresh faces, all but 4 of the players you listed were in the exhibition last year so I think the concern in Rick's post still applies to this.

I'm a fan of watching top players play as well but seeing new faces on the stage would be neat too.

Reactions: mcpeanuts
Here's what I think is a good rule of thumb to use when trying to come up with new ideas:

An exhibition is not about seeing who is the best. That's what the tournament is for. An exhibition is merely a showcase of talent. Yeah we already know Sonic and Sage will probably win whatever, but that's ok as long as the format of the event can give ample time to other faces as well. We all knew the 10v10 last year was going to come down to the 2 of them, but the story and lineup allowed for a perfect presentation of a bunch of other players people love to watch and some newer players people don't get to see as often. Something along these lines should be the goal.

Plus those teams Jarred listed aren't even close to set in stone, a lot of potential is in it to make it pretty diverse.

Yep, and there will be an entirely new squad of great players by then. Plus we don't know what the international presence would be. Plus we don't know what kind of shit's gonna go down at CEOtaku/Frosty/NWM. I'm personally really excited by the idea of old school vs new school and it leaves us plenty of room to change as hidden bosses come to light.

I'll keep this open for a few more days but unless I can think of anything dope or unless anyone wants to help it'll probably be old v new 10v10.

I'll keep this open for a few more days but unless I can think of anything dope or unless anyone wants to help it'll probably be old v new 10v10.

There is nearly a year before CB2017. There is no reason to make any kind of decision in the next few days. So much can change before next May.

Reactions: Wenzel
There is nearly a year before CB2017. There is no reason to make any kind of decision in the next few days. So much can change before next May.

I thought with something like this you'd want the earlier the better, but if you say so then nevermind i'll think this through :D

SG ham. 10 dollars and a slice of pizza with pineapple on it.
You wanna start a fight? Cause that's how you start a fight.

silly idea next to Bella Ball. Double's Double. Both players must have Double on point. Teams are allowed.

I have legit registered The Typing of the Skullgirls as a Combo Breaker side tourney. $2 for teams of 2, 2/3, the first player to lose for the team has to take up the keyboard for the next match. It's on PS3, and byoc, obviously. I have keyboards, if you don't bring your own. I don't know what else I can do to help ensure this comes to fruition.