• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

If Fukuas playstyle went to another character...

tilopud_rye

Reaction score
Squigly Double Ms. Fortune
So in Skullgirls there are lots of proposed characters all with different unique playstyles and mechanics. Here's that list from the days of the 3rd character vote. If Fukua was a newly animated character from that list who do you think would fit her playstyle? I kind of think Black Dahlia just because of the multiple direction projectiles with her grenade launcher and upclose damage with her kneecap blade.

i dont know if the command grabs really suit her, though

Fukua is basically everything I expected from Dahlia so yeah, I'd probably have been thrilled if that had been the case.

i dont know if the command grabs really suit her, though
The animations would be totally different, but an armored command grab would be just as believable coming from Dahlia as it would a Filia clone, if not moreso.

Shit some one beat me to it, i was planing to put out a well thought out thread about my suggestion for another character... oh well here goes nothing...

I believe Fukuas playstyle could function as a prototype for Umbrella

Before i explain why i think so, ill quote part of her gameplay speculation:

"Umbrella’s living weapon, Hungern, has an insatiable appetite. Choose between using Hungern to end special moves for extra advantages throughout the match, or let his hunger build up for more damage later."

Normally a Zoning/Grappling playstyle can result troublesome for a games health due to them being the opposite end of the spectrum, You want to rushdown the Zoner and You want to avoid the Grappler, So how do you tackle that unhealthy design problem?

I believe Umbrellas Hunger mechanic could be used to potentially keep this playstyle as an interesting addition to the game without it turning problematic.

Say, Depending on how Hungry Hungern is, she would be more dominant on either zoning or grappling.

As an example a Full Hungern would be better at zoning because he would potentially have more Food to Spit at the opponents, so he could shoot more durable/damaging projectiles on a full stomach, but that would end up emtying it resulting in very weak zoning but in exchange her grappler aspect would be stronger!

Hungry Hungern would be more vicious with his command grabs dealing more damage and/or having more armor like the current Fukua Delayed command grab has and if you need a quick refill you could eat the opponents projectiles! Hell he could even EAT THE CAST if they're KO from a grab and use them as powerfull projectile on the incoming character!!

The Fun about playing this Umbrella would be managing your Hunger to stay strong in the gameplay aspect you feel you need the most for your current matchup! Spitting projectiles or eating your foes?

What do you guys think???

I'm partial to considering her a Black Dahlia without Black Dahlia sprites myself. I pictured her having both a good keepaway and a good close-up game, where the latter might as well be expressed by some command grabs.

Fukua's playstile and moveset would actually work really well for Umbrella.

B-but...

B-BUT I'LL MISS HERRRRRRR

I'd say the AU Samson, since Fukua is based around those alt versions of Filia from the early development. I mean look at him! He's a beast. Feel free to disagree.

Well, I will disagree then. AU Samson is a situation where Samson took over full control of Filia, pushing her into a very complaint, possibly comatose state. Fukua leaves the impression of representing the opposite side, being a more confident and in-control host than the Filia we know.

While I feel there's no other character that Fukua's moveset is a perfect fit for, I think Ileum is probably the closest. Ileum seems like the only one that could have moves similar to Fukua's while still feeling vaguely similar to her intended playstyle. Yeah, she'd lose out on having that epic Dhalsim reach, and those crazy transformations, but everything else is fairly on par for her. She could not only mimic the function of Fukua's moves, but the relative appearance of them too.

Obviously Ileum is very flexible to begin with. She could spin her limbs for drill attacks like Fukua's (she even has little drills on her arms anyway), as well as use those limbs to pull off some ferocious grappling. Also, since one of Ileum's gameplay inspirations is Toxic Seahorse, the trajectories on her acid projectiles would probably be very similar to Fukua's Love Darts, especially the LP one. On top of that, consuming and spewing opponents, like in Fukua's Lv3, could already be considered a standard tactic for Ileum.

Anyway, regardless of all that jabber, I'm just reaaally glad Fukua is her own character!

Well it ain't Annie, that's for sure.

Neither Umbrella or Dhalia would have played anything like Fukua does. Just sayin'. Dhalia probably would not have had a command grab, let alone an armored one, and Umbrella probably wouldn't have projectiles.
If you NEED a prototype for them, Umbrella was close-ish to HOS+Wario and Dahlia was close-ish to Cable+Chris. But that's like saying Filia is close-ish to Ryu+Sonic, so whatever.

What are you all talking Bout seriously. I'm just reading & replying and don't feel like scrolling all the way down. But umbrella...? There's not even an inkling of umbrella. Black dahlia? Not an inkling of her either. I sincerely doubt she'd have clones running around. maybe some sort of projectile for projectiles sake...I thought this was gonna be a thread about what character she could be likened to from another game. But I don't understand how you could relate any character to any character to be honest :/ they're all different. Even Fukua.

What are you all talking Bout seriously. I'm just reading & replying and don't feel like scrolling all the way down. But umbrella...? There's not even an inkling of umbrella. Black dahlia? Not an inkling of her either. I sincerely doubt she'd have clones running around. maybe some sort of projectile for projectiles sake...I thought this was gonna be a thread about what character she could be likened to from another game. But I don't understand how you could relate any character to any character to be honest :/ they're all different. Even Fukua.
I'd like to note that that post was created before Fukua became Forever A Clone.

Personally, I think the person who would best fit Fukua's current playstyle would be Stanley. The command grabs and drills could be altered to emphasize his love of sports and occasional going on a feeding frenzy, but I think that the projectile part of Fukua's moveset would be replicable with some Lab 4 technology.

I get that (now)...but still I feel this thread is so irrelevant :/