• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

IMPORTANT: The Non-Gameplay Character Apocalypse Has Come!

Would you guys consider keeping the off topic section, but simply make it so that none of the threads in that section can appear in the side banner?
We did consider it. I am not exaggerating when I say we discussed this whole thing at length. We both decided against it and saw it was impossible when we explored the option.

We did consider it. I am not exaggerating when I say we discussed this whole thing at length. We both decided against it and saw it was impossible when we explored the option.

I sorta figured this was the case. Alrighty then. I'll just go along with whatever's happening for now and see how things turn out.

I don't really get some of these changes
I don't really mind them either, though..

Will just wait and see what happens from here on out, as it's apparently not done yet
Think it would've been smarter to just lock the forums for a few days and fix up everything while nobody has access?
Maybe now would be a bad time for that due to SJ experiments, though..

If L0 is looking to kill this community, what little is left of it, this is a giant step in the right(wrong?) direction.

I really can't even begin to understand the motivations for this. From where I sit, it looks like a draconian effort to release moderator work load and insulate Mike Z from suggestions. Neither is something I approve of, but I've long understood my voice to be unwelcome here. I could be wrong in this hypothesis but frankly I just don't care anymore.

Just to sum up, it amazes me that anytime I think my opinion of forum moderators has hit it's absolute nadir. Shit like this happens.

Oh well, good luck with your endeavors and may the seed of your loin be fruitful in the belly of your woman.

tumblr_mal2xooMas1r4gei2o8_400.gif

my main focus was gameplay speculation between patches and a series of terrible jokes.. along with occasional lobbies with the guys..i mean i could join the discussion and excitement of news..but i suppose that would be in mod approved places only now.

so im not geared for this place going forward beyond lurking and stealing tech i suppose.

im not a backgrount guy nor do i exhaust myself over the various applications of a crouching hp. i can draw but dont share my art..

so what is there more to do. i already play the game.

but don't you think the forum may die a littl bit?
Much like I don't think it hurts a forum to have 80% users who only talk in OT garbage, I don't believe it hurts a forum if those disappear.
Who cares about those threads dying? They are not relevant to the forum whatsoever (okay, they generate traffic and help SH be the #1 result for "Skullgirls Forum" on Google..)

If L0 is looking to kill this community, what little is left of it, this is a giant step in the right(wrong?) direction.
If you think that removing the *Off Topic* is "killing the community", maybe something is wrong with (your perception of) the community.

You have 900 posts on this forum, 850+ of which are in the "Unpopular Opinions" and "Gaming Journalism" threads in the OT; the only thing remotely gameplay in your last 200 posts was "I don't like how Beowulf looks"
As far as I'm concerned, you aren't a part of the SG Community at all, and as such removing you does not kill any part of it.

where I sit, it looks like a draconian effort to release moderator work load and insulate Mike Z from suggestions. Neither is something I approve of, but I've long understood my voice to be unwelcome here. I could be wrong in this hypothesis but frankly I just don't care anymore.

Just to sum up, it amazes me that anytime I think my opinion of forum moderators has hit it's absolute nadir. Shit like this happens.
If you think this will reduce work on the moderators you're out of your god damn mind.

From a business standpoint, I completely understand why you're going in this direction. However, this decision will not be good for the skullheart community. As it seems most of the forum is built off of off topic and speculation threads. Even though I personally don't really participate in the speculation threads, maybe at least lead the people who want to speculate and come up with gameplay mechanics to a new dedicated forum or subreddit?
I know for a fact that people WILL leave because there's only so much about a character, that's not speculation, you can talk about.

Man... How do i say this? How do i say this is one of the most boneheaded decisions (about anything in general) that ive ever witnessed or heard of... To people that i have no particular bone to pick with and that i have a general respect for?

Idk man.

But this is as good a decision and helps the community about as much as the original sg srk modluminati damn near killing the game and its community with awesome rules such as:

"No tier list talk, at the appropriate time, in the future, the "right" people and selected individuals will release a tier list compiled by top players"

Not exactly verbatim, but just about.

I was there when i got like 15 pms from people telling me they were leaving the game and forum because of the modding. Over modding gets rid of people.

Let me be frank:

I dont care about the speculative character forum in either a participatory aspect nor in a voyeur style content consumer. I DO however care about the sg community at large and squashing "conversation" is a sure fire way to kill a certain part of the community, and that becomes a cancer that will spread.

It may not take the community down... But it will certainly sicken it.

Like... Of anyone was looking for an easy way to hurt skullgirls in general, i feel like this is a good start.

I really hope this gets rethought by the moderators/whoever else came up with these Gestapo like rules to "protect people from themselves" but people... From what ive seen never like to be protected from themselves... Some of us like to jump in the deep end and just go.

Speculation might disappoint people from what really happens. But thats tough titty for them.

Are we really going to kill a part of the forum to not ruffle a few feathers of people that dont know what speculation is?

Or is there a more insidious reason? I always thought there might be copyright issues with speculators speculating, and then some speculation making it in the game via coincidence or not... And then there being legal issues like what occurred with juju.

If thats what this is really about then so be it. But the stated reason makes about as much sense as trying to save a burning man by throwing gasoline on him to put out the fire.

Have a good day.

It is almost like they want us to have legitimate character gameplay discussion in the thread it was created for, and anything unrelated to said thread go in a different thread all together. Who would have thought.

In all due seriousness, I do wish users can look past this and just try to remain a clean thriving community.

Reactions: EA575 and Flotilla
Much like I don't think it hurts a forum to have 80% users who only talk in OT garbage, I don't believe it hurts a forum if those disappear.

It does actually. People who came here for the game but found friends trough off-topic that they can't write in anymore will just leave.

Don't think you'll understand it, for that you would have to have friends around here in the first place.

If you think that removing the *Off Topic* is "killing the community", maybe something is wrong with (your perception of) the community.

There's much wrong with you, in a nutshell that you act like a giant butt of a master-race because you think being good at this game justifies it, this adds to the list as well. A community isn’t just people who talk about the game all day long. I play the game from time to time because I like it, I come here because I like this place, but I'm no mastermind at this game because I don't want to be one, so I cant participate in the gameplay-topics much. In what shape or form does this board benefit from shutting people like me out? It doesn’t. It will only become more empty without appeal to new users.

If you like off-topic or not, kicking people out of a fanbase that struggles with getting new faces into it shouldn’t do shit like that.

Oh and you can save yourself the trouble of sniffing through my old posts, my last one's where in the now dead Kamen Rider-topic, and the "about the game"-posts I had centered around Big Band, in the last time some about Beowulf, Eliza before that. If you want to hang yourself up on that fact.

(Sorry Isa, I'm ignoring Angel so I thought you referred to me about the Beowulf complaining)

Who cares about those threads dying? They are not relevant to the forum whatsoever (okay, they generate traffic and help SH be the #1 result for "Skullgirls Forum" on Google..)

I think many of the off topic threads were useless and died really fast, I'm all for a cleaning, but off-topics gave the community a bit of more life. Skullgirls is and must be the focus, but I don't see what is wrong with a little no skullgirls chit chat. Many fan-forums have an off-topic section, the problem coms only when it gets filthy and full of fights.I think that limiting ourselves to generic topic instead of many ones could work, to avoid some useless posting. For example instead of having a thread for every single anime, we keep only the general anime thread.
That's just my opinion tho, I'm sure admins are trying their best, I appreciate the hard work, but it's gonna have a downside.

As for me I'll still be here, there's no reason for dramatic "I quit", still lots of good useful stuff, maybe not so active since I'm a pleb casual ass.

Reactions: PKStoopKid
Is it considered off-topic to discuss the exclusion of the off-topic threads in a thread about non-gameplay characters? Maybe we should move this discussion over into the off-topi...oh wait...:P

Reactions: erkicman and Kongk4
I made a post a while ago about how I loved the community for being an open, interactive community in which everyone can share a common interest in something with someone they never knew, and possibly even make a new friend to discuss Skullgirls with, but now everything feels like its going to be "Talk about Character in-game specifics or no fun allowed". This isn't to derive any glares on the Mod's end as I appreciate all the work you guys put into this and making sure everything remains proper, but truthfully speaking this is a loss from both sides of the spectrum.

Reactions: Kongk4
In all due seriousness, I do wish users can look past this and just try to remain a clean thriving community.

I agree, unfortunately when a community gets bigger more rules have to be put in place because our once clean community isn't so clean anymore.

@Cellsai
With these new changes it seems like there won't be any room for new threads.
Like there will be a set amount of threads discussing the lore and gameplay of the playable characters, one dedicated to Beta, etc.
I've never been too much of an off topic guy, and I've never made any threads, but with the reformatting of the forum will there be any room or any need for new threads to show up?

Personally, I really REALLY hate this change.
However, I do think that this will benefit the forums. At least in the short-run.
In the long run it's going to hurt the forums.
Unless everyone involved actually thinks that people can only talk about gameplay and offer criticism 24/7
Not everyone can just talk about gameplay though, I thought that was the point of the off-topics section.
Eventually people are going to join the forums but they're going to leave for some other place because they can't really do anything here. Especially people like me who rarely post on gameplay-centric threads.

Basically, the off-topic section's there to keep people in the forums. It's a place to waste your time, talk, and make friends when you're not talking of gameplay.

TL;DR
No fun, super serious gameplay discussion only plz

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks these changes are a bad idea. Because I think these changes are a bad idea, and other people have already said why for me.

So when am I getting my Annie subforum that I get to be mod of?
Go make your very own Annie thread and you can be king in there!

You will however be a puppet state beneath joint Emperors Cellsai and Wayforger though.

Reactions: DDB
I can live without Off-Topic discussion, both the subforum and in other threads like the Wulf Den.
I was there for the great penis talk of 2014, I get that the forums need a little cleaning up.

I cannot get behind anti-speculation policies, I mean really, is there no other way to avoid the Juju incident?
Disregarding the fact that there's a very small chance any of the speculated characters will ever be made playable after Robo-Fortune is complete, can there not be a disclaimer in the OP, "any post made in this thread has been given up creatively by the poster and is free to use by Lab 0" or something? Anything like that?

And like, people aren't gonna stop speculating just because they can't talk about it, you're just going to have less "I hope Eliza gets attack tomatoes" "Well that's a little disappointing" actually posted which
considering all the shit I've seen on these forums doesn't feel all that bad in comparison.

I just can't, man, I can't get behind no future character speculation.

Reactions: Kongk4 and Sparties
Yeah I can't say I'm a fan of the anti-speculation stuff either. It doesn't give us a whole lot of wiggle room for things to discuss when talking about characters who aren't even in the game. :/

If you think this will reduce work on the moderators you're out of your god damn mind.

this is actually true; the reason why, tbh, is because with such a silly rule, even if it does somewhat benefit the forum, it also creates problems.
not just the lack of wiggle room as keon has mentioned, but because the whole thing is such a vast supposed "problem" that it'll be hard to regulate.
now you're left with unhappy members and possibly a new problem due to the whole policy.
and with that in mind, it seems it may do more harm than good.
not bashing the rule or anything, just saying.
i've seen this occur several times in different forums, and it never ended on a good note.

Gonna wait it out to see how it plays out. I'm guilty of off topic talk and need to focus on gameplay I guess.

No off topic, no gameplay discussion, can't use the forum for anything other than Skullgirls related stuff

No fun allowed, imagination restricted.

Can't agree with that. Off topic is a way to make the community, people that knew each other because of the game, to find more in common than that one game they plays. Makes people socialize and builds closer bonds between people.

More restrictive rules makes it looks too "professional" for my taste. Being a fan of the art or music, being a casual player, I really liked how the fans gathered around and has shown a diverse side I would never know in online matches and such. I'll miss that

Also, the ranting because things like Eliza not having her blood mechanics (the one Mike made a video about in the IGG days) didn't seem that brutal.

If nothing else, it gives the mods a more focused space to moderate, so it's not entirely bad.

And in the end i don't play for the forum server, I can't really decide anything, so do your stuff and I'll pray it works well.

Screw the off-topic threads. That's what I have Metalstorm for.

But I just wanna be crystal clear on this because I was just getting ready to post my first thread that I've been working on for a while now and now that everything's shifted around, I'm reluctant. I honestly couldn't care less about gameplay cause I never paid attention to that stuff, but I wanna make sure this isn't violating anything because I don't wanna waste the effort of posting a thread and have it shot down before even leaving the runway.

The concept of said thread was to be a fun dialogue-creator of sorts (for fights between characters in hypothetical matches). The key distinction though (distinction probably being a bad choice of words since I did my research and this will be the only thread of its kind so far) is that it wasn't just gonna feature characters that didn't make the game (Aeon is the main example as I created a set for her in my post).

General question: What does Gameplay Speculation extend to? Does dialogue suggestion count as gameplay speculation or what? I only play Skullgirls for the story/lore and characters, so I'm terribly naive about this stuff. If I can't post the thread with the characters not in-game, I'm not even gonna bother posting the thread. Takes away half the fun.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sparties
If we can only talk about lore for non playable characters, can we ask Alex to give us some fucking lore? There is only so much we can talk about because, while I love the guy, sometimes I feel like he's making the story up as he goes. We got some decent info on Scythana, but we still don't know much about her. And since Skullgirls 2 has like a .0000000000001% chance of happening, it would be very appreciated.

just my 2 cents.

General question: What does Gameplay Speculation extend to? Does dialogue suggestion count as gameplay speculation or what?

that's another thing; even with an explanation, the rule itself is still incredibly vague. this is what will get people into trouble: not knowing how far said rule extends.
also, what's the harm in speculation? perhaps not of upcoming characters, but of characters that, tbh, i'm pretty sure will not get in game?
for example, do you really expect ottomo, of all the characters available, to somehow appear in game? of course not. i'm fairly sure in voting that ottomo didn't even get close, but there are still some people out there who want to fuckin' discuss what he could have been.
not to mention the odds of an SG2 happening seem slim. think of all the money taken just to get the first one running; for all you know, this community could be dead by the time there was enough money to even consider a sequel.
and if mikez doesn't particularly like his fanbase making speculation: sorry. that's the consequence of having a community that has nothing better to do than play the game over and over as they sit and wait for more content as it comes.

If we can only talk about lore for non playable characters, can we ask Alex to give us some fucking lore? There is only so much we can talk about because, while I love the guy, sometimes I feel like he's making the story up as he goes.
Isn't lore usually made up as it goes? Whether it be a video game or T.V. show? Whenever new content gets made, it could unlock more about a character that even the creator didn't know about.

Screw the off-topic threads. That's what I have Metalstorm for.

But I just wanna be crystal clear on this because I was just getting ready to post my first thread that I've been working on for a while now and now that everything's shifted around, I'm reluctant. I honestly couldn't care less about gameplay cause I never paid attention to that stuff, but I wanna make sure this isn't violating anything because I don't wanna waste the effort of posting a thread and have it shot down before even leaving the runway.

The concept of said thread was to be a fun dialogue-creator of sorts (for fights between characters in hypothetical matches). The key distinction though (distinction probably being a bad choice of words since I did my research and this will be the only thread of its kind so far) is that it wasn't just gonna feature characters that didn't make the game (Aeon is the main example as I created a set for her in my post).

General question: What does Gameplay Speculation extend to? Does dialogue suggestion count as gameplay speculation or what? I only play Skullgirls for the story/lore and characters, so I'm terribly naive about this stuff. If I can't post the thread with the characters not in-game, I'm not even gonna bother posting the thread. Takes away half the fun.

I would say that's more a creative endeavor than any sort of speculation, and certainly not gameplay speculation. Since you wouldn't be the only person confused by this rule, I'll see about having it written up to be more clear.

sorry. that's the repercussion of having a community that has nothing better to do than play the game over and over as they sit and wait for more content as it comes.
Said community actually seems to have something much better to do, namely shitposting in OT and writing endless baseless speculation which nobody can prove or disprove.

Isn't lore usually made up as it goes? Whether it be a video game or T.V. show? Whenever new content gets made, it could unlock more about a character that even the creator didn't know about.

Makes sense, but not what I meant. I meant in the sense that, he actually doesn't know what he wants to do with the story itself. A lot of these interviews with him discussing some things with us, gives me the impression that he doesn't know what he is wanting to do. I am guilty of the same mistake and the reason why a lot of stories I write end up being scrapped, because I didn't have a good idea of where my stuff was going.

Maybe lore was the wrong word, but what we need is more INFO about the character. Like their past and such, we know barely anything about some of the characters pasts in SG (non and playable) and it only leads to so much speculation before you have nothing else to work with.

Said community actually seems to have something much better to do, namely shitposting in OT and writing endless baseless speculation which nobody can prove or disprove.
Yeah can you believe it?!
Talking about chess on the skullgirls forum!

Reactions: erkicman
I would say that's more a creative endeavor than any sort of speculation, and certainly not gameplay speculation. Since you wouldn't be the only person confused by this rule, I'll see about having it written up to be more clear.
So I have the all-clear? Sweet.

Also, which forum section would I post this in? That's another thing I was unsure about, and with the revamp of the forum’s design…

So I have the all-clear? Sweet.

Also, which forum section would I post this in? That's another thing I was unsure about.

I'd say the art/other media subforum, since this is more a collaborative writing effort than anything canon. If that ends up being the wrong subforum when I get back to Cellsai on it, it'll be moved to lore.

Yeah, because fighting game discussion is based so much around objective provable facts.
For instance, there is a single tactic with a specific team that is objectively better than all others, the evidence all lines up, discussion over.
Which can also extend to the lore aspect of the game.
This is what we know, and since we can't prove anything beyond that there's no point thinking about it. Discussion over.

Why doesn't anybody else follow this line of thinking, it makes debating possibilities so much fun.

i wasn't particularly referring to the shitposting, i was referring to the few people who actually try to speculate.
and prove or disprove? are they supposed to sit and wait for canon information to be spoon-fed to them?
that's the silliest thing i've ever heard.

It feels pretty ironic that a thread telling us that we can't speculate about stuff is filled with people speculating about how bad the new forum changes are.

Anyway, I don't much care for these changes, but I guess we just need to see how much they affect things. At the very least it limits the number of SkullGirlsFanboy-type threads/posts on the forum. Though, I am going to miss the Off-Topic stuff. It's pretty much the only place I posted. :/